United and Liverpool driving "Project Big Picture" - Football’s biggest shake-up in a generation

Momochiru

But it's not about the amount of years your in the top division though is it? Newcastle & villa have been in the top division (premier league years) more years than city
That's exactly why I think it should be about the amount of years in the PL, and not about the current top standing in the league. Newcastle & Villa should get more votes than City.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Alot of good points here, however... I feel like it's all tarnished when you consider it looks like they are offering up bait money for the EFL etc to make a power grab for the top 6 teams in the league, who can do anything they want with their power then in the future, which is stupid, id say it's a good proposal, however keep the 1 team 1 vote system, they are basically trying to remove democracy and keep the top teams in power whilst giving the lesser teams no say at all, that's wrong.
I agree. Why crush the dreams of so called lesser clubs aspiring to break into the top 6?

Nanook

The whole reason why our league is an entertaining product and is able to earn that 100 million in TV income per club is bottom those bottom clubs have enough money to get players that can put up some sort of a fight against the big clubs and make our matches worth watching. It's a self perpetuating cycle, that if you take away the money the smaller clubs make and make them easier prey for bigger teams to poach their players, the league becomes weaker on the whole and thus less worthwhile viewing.
It’s more to do with the fact the UK has a competitive pay TV market and the English language makes it more attractive to people outside the UK.

Josep Dowling

Never in my life did I think I’d fall out of love with my club. United are becoming everything I hate in football. The American owners need to be gone. They have already ruined this club and now they want to ruin the entire English pyramid.

Josep Dowling

How do they earn more money with less games? I guess they want more tv money near the top then? Not reducing season tickets cost and stuff like that.
The Premier League pot will be split between 18 clubs not 20. Plus the extra time for longer pre-season tournaments abroad.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Looks a pretty awful idea to me. More importantly is, how stupid would the other teams in the premier league have to be to vote it through so only 6 teams vote needed to change the competition?

All I would like to see change with UK football is cheap ubiquitous streaming or TV packages to show all the games. The situation at the moment is farcical...

arthurka

How’s does this bit work??

• Two sides automatically relegated from the Premier League every season and the top two Championship teams promoted. The 16th place Premier League club in a play-off tournament with the Championship’s third, fourth and fifth placed teams.
It's done in Germany works without any problems. The winner of the game between 3rd last and the playoffs in the championship play a game and the winner gets to play in the PL next season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Looks a pretty awful idea to me. More importantly is, how stupid would the other teams in the premier league have to be to vote it through so only 6 teams vote needed to change the competition?

All I would like to see change with UK football is cheap ubiquitous streaming or TV packages to show all the games. The situation at the moment is farcical...
You'd also think all the lower league clubs have to vote for losing 2 more teams to non league as well.
However, history shows that throwing money at clubs makes them do such stupid things.

Cloud7

It’s more to do with the fact the UK has a competitive pay TV market and the English language makes it more attractive to people outside the UK.
So you genuinely think that if the PL was like Bundesliga or La Liga where it was a foregone conclusion before every season, and matches were rarely unpredictable, that it would be as popular?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's done in Germany works without any problems. The winner of the game between 3rd last and the playoffs in the championship play a game and the winner gets to play in the PL next season.
Germany is irrelevant.
They've had the same champion for about 73 years in a row and I doubt most people could barely name half the teams in the top flight there, let alone their championship.

Why take a playoff place and guaranteed promo slot off the championship, which is the most competitive league in the world.

Momochiru

Germany is irrelevant.
They've had the same champion for about 73 years in a row and I doubt most people could barely name half the teams in the top flight there, let alone their championship.

Why take a playoff place and guaranteed promo slot off the championship, which is the most competitive league in the world.
That's something the lower half of the PL teams would definitely vote for - lower chance to get relegated.

Untied

Forgetting whether it's a good idea or bad idea for a moment, doesn't it take 75% of premier league clubs to vote yes in order to make any change? I can't see 15 clubs voting for this.

I suppose the big 6 could threaten a breakaway, or to start a european league, but if I were a Burnley or a Brighton I'd say ok then feck off.
They could tie it to the rest of the EFL though…

i.e "if we don't get our vetos we'll leave the Premier League and start this new structure with the rest of the EFL and fill up the new 'Premier League' with Championship sides."

I mean that won't happen, but that would be the threat, and a Premier League consisting of only Burnley, Sheffield United, Wolves, Palace, Leeds, Villa, Southampton, Leicester, Fulham, Brighton & West Brom is not going to bring in the money those clubs need to survive/thrive.

I imagine the voting might have to softened slightly to get this through easily, but if the big 6 start playing hardball I don't think the rest of the PL has much leverage given that they could just start a new league structure with the desperate EFL.

JSArsenal

I'd take some ideas and bin others. Having other premier league clubs do the premier league/FA's job and approve or veto potential takeovers is ridiculous.

It would be like Jeff Bezos having a say in who takes over Google.

Scrapping the league cup? Why not make an 8 + 3 rule. Every premier league team can select before the season begins, whether or not they will opt in for the rule. If they do, then every league cup team they select must have 8 youth players and 3 senior players. Youth players are U-23. That way, it turns into a youth competition for the big clubs.

Also if a cup game is against a team in a lower division, then its automatically played at their ground.

No summer tournament and no increased number of loans. I'd be for clubs forming partnerships with lower league teams, however. The problem with the loan system, IMO is that clubs have no real incentive to use loanees over their own players when things are desperate. When you're in a scrap for survival in league one, who is a Tony Pulis going to put faith in? The 17 year old pampered kid from Arsenal who looks like a light breeze will blow him away or a 26 year old Ryan Shawcross type clogger? The realities are just too different. There's also the time and investment poured into a player who isn't your own.

A better suggestion to me would be that the big clubs pay smaller clubs to take their players out on loan. I'd put a cap on the money and the number of players to prevent it from looking like a bribe. I think a lot of clubs down at the bottom would jump at the chance to make £2m or £ 3m. Of course there would need to be an agreement over the number of games the kid would play.

There were a few other awful ones, that definitely should not be done. The summer tournament idea is just a farce. A glorified preseason friendly.

There's also the notion that some clubs shouldn't get a say because this is their "first year or first few years in the league". That notion ignores the concept of yo-yo clubs. West Brom and Fulham have been in and out of the league for years. All of a sudden their vote doesn't matter? If this rule was passed and by some nightmare scenario, Chelsea go bankrupt and are relegated. Then they get promoted next year. Does anyone here think the rules wouldn't be changed to allow Chelsea to still get a vote?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's something the lower half of the PL teams would definitely vote for - lower chance to get relegated.
It's not really a lower risk though, as they need to trim 2 extra teams for starters.
That could well be half the league, and then they'd find it's much harder to get back up, and to exist at that level

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
This is a very simplistic view, most issues that need voting have long term repercussions and are not just limited to a single season. Clubs who get promoted, spend a year or two in the PL and then disappear forever shouldn't have the same say. The future of the PL is not that much of their concern, since they spend most of their time in the lower levels and this is reflected in their voting.
Said the fox to the hen.

littleman

Isn’t EPL the only major league in the world that has such an equal distribution of TV revenues? Every other major league has their top 2 or 3 absorbing virtually all revenues.

It’s why the EPL is so competitive and why the players are so expensive.

It also makes long term completion with Real and Barca harder. And why Bayern can pick whom ever they want from the German league every year.

YNWAManUnited

The classic ol' "we'll give you some sweet terms now for the power to change the terms tomorrow and you won't have any say" trick!

Gazza

You're comparing two different things.

Should someone visiting your country for a years work experience have the same voting rights on its long term governance as you who've lived there all your life?

I don't think the number should be arbitrary, and 9 clubs seems silly, but I can also see why it doesn't make sense to give yoyo clubs who are only in the league for a single season, full voting rights on long term strategical decisions.
Not an apt comparison, surely? True, teams do get relegated after only one season in the league, but at the beginning of the season they are a fully-fledged citizen/resident, to use your analogy. If somebody moves to my town and they are not sure how long they are going to stay, then yes I would expect them to have a vote. I have moved in the past and spent 1-2 years in a place, why should I sacrifice my voice during that time because circumstance dictates other people have lived here longer?

diarm

Not an apt comparison, surely? True, teams do get relegated after only one season in the league, but at the beginning of the season they are a fully-fledged citizen/resident, to use your analogy. If somebody moves to my town and they are not sure how long they are going to stay, then yes I would expect them to have a vote. I have moved in the past and spent 1-2 years in a place, why should I sacrifice my voice during that time because circumstance dictates other people have lived here longer?
I'd expect people to have spent a little more than a year or two before being granted full voting rights. I don't think there are many countries on Earth you can go and expect full citizenship immediately.

Gazza

I'd expect people to have spent a little more than a year or two before being granted full voting rights. I don't think there are many countries on Earth you can go and expect full citizenship immediately.
Well, it was an extension of your analogy and my way of expressing what I think should happen, I wasn't actually saying that's how voting/immigration works :)

padr81

Supports
Man City
You're one of the longest consecutive serving Premier League sides.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur - since 1992/93
Manchester City - since 2002/03
Southampton - since 2012/13
West Ham United - since 2012/13

Crystal Palace miss out by one season, Leicester City two.
Ah consecutive. I'd be interested to see where we'd fall in total time. Feels like we missed a good few seasons during our darkest days.

Just checked and we're 10th in all time matches played so likely 10th in total seasons.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Isn’t EPL the only major league in the world that has such an equal distribution of TV revenues? Every other major league has their top 2 or 3 absorbing virtually all revenues.

It’s why the EPL is so competitive and why the players are so expensive.

It also makes long term completion with Real and Barca harder. And why Bayern can pick whom ever they want from the German league every year.
When you say "so competitive", we know for certain that the league winner will come from one of 2 teams, and we can be pretty certain that Fulham and West Brom will go down.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wonder what they'll release tomorrow to push this off the radar.

arthurka

Germany is irrelevant.

They are not doing that.. they are seeing if the team that comes in as the third team from the lower league is good enough. Fulham for example aren't doing all that well are they? It's a good system really.

clarkydaz

Just how far down the leagues do you go for the league cup to be a nuisance to teams? Thats another trophy taken away

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They are not doing that.. they are seeing if the team that comes in as the third team from the lower league is good enough. Fulham for example aren't doing all that well are they? It's a good system really.
They ARE taking a play off place away.

Currently it's 3rd to 6th (4), and they're proposing it'll go from 3rd to 5th (3)

So you lose the guarantee a third team go up, and you lose a play off place.
Woeful stuff, and the champs clubs have only themselves to blame if they vote for it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just how far down the leagues do you go for the league cup to be a nuisance to teams? Thats another trophy taken away
It's a slippery slope pissing on tradition.
People might say oh it's only the league cup, but next it'll be the FA cup, or more likely the top 6 just disappear into some breakaway if they don't get the power they're aiming for from this.

diarm

It's a slippery slope pissing on tradition.
People might say oh it's only the league cup, but next it'll be the FA cup, or more likely the top 6 just disappear into some breakaway if they don't get the power they're aiming for from this.
For me the League Cup takes away from the FA Cup.

Paul_Scholes18

For me the League Cup takes away from the FA Cup.
I think having two cups is great. It gives more than one chance to go on a cup run.
With a good draw smaller teams can go really far in it.
Yes normally the big sides win it, but it is nice with upsets.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
That's exactly why I think it should be about the amount of years in the PL, and not about the current top standing in the league. Newcastle & Villa should get more votes than City.
They ARE taking a play off place away.

Currently it's 3rd to 6th (4), and they're proposing it'll go from 3rd to 5th (3)

So you lose the guarantee a third team go up, and you lose a play off place.
Woeful stuff, and the champs clubs have only themselves to blame if they vote for it.
More than that, they are talking about ejecting two Prem teams into the Championship (booting two Championship teams out)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think having two cups is great. It gives more than one chance to go on a cup run.
The big cups winning it surely shows it's worth winning it.

If Sheffield Wednesday and Hull won it every year it'd be utter gub, and you could understand wanting to bin it more.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
More than that, they are talking about ejecting two Prem teams into the Championship (booting two Championship teams out)
Yep, the knock on is dreadful, and you can tell who the "big club" types are on this forum that don't for a second understand it's a woeful idea for the vast majority of clubs.

However, like a lot of things they'll tempt them with a wad of money to get it through no doubt.

clarkydaz

And helps smaller clubs financially with a David/Goliath fixture. Even the charity shield, we aint playing in it as we can get an extra game in malaysia

Acole9

Outstanding
Most of it seems ok I guess. The league's structure should be left well alone though.

The Community Shield is a glorified pre season friendly. I don't mind the league cup, good opportunity for fringe players and young players to get game time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
After doing so well with their corona virus response, especially in comparison to say Liverpool, whose initial response was a disgrace, United really are coming across like absolute menaces this last couple of days.