United and top 4

AFC NimbleThumb

the absolute s***housery of the past month or so compounded.

the top 4 was so achievable- i said at the time the loss to arsenal would cost us; i didn’t think it would be quite this bad but there’s 2 good teams in the league & then 4 overpayed or overhyped ones.

the everton loss looks even more appalling after spurs just got spursy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcus

You know. Today could really be a great day. Let's see how things pan out.

Betson

Starting out ok anyway as Arsenal down to 10 men and 1 - 0 down.

But even if we beat Chelsea , it is still out of our hands. Very annoying to be in this position.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Starting out ok anyway as Arsenal down to 10 men and 1 - 0 down.

But even if we beat Chelsea , it is still out of our hands. Very annoying to be in this position.
Depends how much we beat Chelsea by.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Arsenal lost today. If we win our last three, then all we need is Chelsea to stumble at Leicester or against Watford. This is a distinct possibility as Leicester might be playing for a Europa league spot on the last day.

Come lads, please put your full effort into each and every match!

Castia

It’s gonna be tough even now with everybody dropping points. If we win today we still need Chelsea to drop points in their last 2 games due to goal difference.

The Everton game will be the one that cost us, even a point there would have been ok.

VinnyRedDevil

Chelsea has GD of +21 while MU has GD of +13. That's an eight-goal difference. Cannot really see us beating Chelsea on goal difference. Still need Chelsea to lose/draw at least one game. Spurs could screw up in their next two games as well.

Must win against Chelsea to get fifth and live to fight another day.

Irwin99

I'd love it if we won today and then took it by goal difference against Cardiff. A 9-0 victory to mark the end of the season :devil:

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Chelsea has GD of +21 while MU has GD of +13. That's an eight-goal difference. Cannot really see us beating Chelsea on goal difference. Still need Chelsea to lose/draw at least one game. Spurs could screw up in their next two games as well.

Must win against Chelsea to get fifth and live to fight another day.
Chelsea play at Leicester City on May 12th. I would say there is a least a 60% chance LC get a result. Also, LC could be playing for the Europa league. This is possible.

C'est Moi Cantona

Really don't think there's much doubt that we'll get top 4 if we win our last three games.

But Everton couldn't beat Palace yesterday, and Burnley look comfortable against City, yet those two teams just swatted us aside, so I'm not double jinxing, reverse psychologying, etc, but I just can't see how we can do this, our confidence is on the floor.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
It’s gonna be tough even now with everybody dropping points. If we win today we still need Chelsea to drop points in their last 2 games due to goal difference.

The Everton game will be the one that cost us, even a point there would have been ok.
We can also count on Spurs breaking down. They have injuries + they still have CL semifinals.

Flytan

Sorry but I have no faith in this. Ole will pick Ashley Young again today and probably Matic and we'll get overrun yet again. Rashy probably won't get dropped despite being awful the past month and a half.

Sambob

Don't forget that if Chelsea or arsenal win Europa then we need to finish 3rd

KrasHammerhand

Well that ends it. We truly have grasped defeat from the mouth of victory. De Gea with a howler, Rojo should have had a red.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
United are now just another mid table club , shouldn't mock anyone else like spurs considering they have finished above us pretty much 5 out of the last 6 seasons. Sad thing is that others are getting better while there is no end to this misery . Someone tweeted today that a huge cheer went through OT when city scored which I think sums up our current level

Yakuza_devils

My heart can't the disappointment of missing out after coming so close. Why DDG have to make a crucial mistake at this critical time?

Drifter

American
A long shot but we still have the drama of the last games of the season. Rents and arse lose and we get a hat-full against Huddersfield and who knows.

NJM78

I’m not angry about top four as we are gash, I’m just angry if we don’t finish 5th and miss the Europa qualifying rounds.

NJM78

A long shot but we still have the drama of the last games of the season. Rents and arse lose and we get a hat-full against Huddersfield and who knows.
Huddersfield just as likely to beat us as we are them. Two terrible football teams.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
How do people not know the way it works yet after all these years ffs
It's ridiculous - the rules have been this way for years now. In another thread someone was saying that if Chelsea finishes 4th and wins the EL, we can get into the CL from 5th place. :houllier:

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
What's everybody worried about. We are in the same predicament as Liverpool were in the 90s and look at them now. We've only got another 20 years of this shit to put up with and we'll be back.

Last edited:

Arka_BleedingRed

Week in, week out, Ole's unshakable trust on Young, Matic, Rashford and Lukaku is what's bringing us down.

Josep Dowling

I’m not angry about top four as we are gash, I’m just angry if we don’t finish 5th and miss the Europa qualifying rounds.
Might not be a bad thing, play the kids and avoid the competition altogether.

Woziak

Might not be a bad thing, play the kids and avoid the competition altogether.
Problem is this might also be our best chance of qualifying for CL next year by wining Europa League again especially with the emergence of Leicester, Wolves and Everton who will all be pushing top 6 next season.

Jacob

Week in, week out, Ole's unshakable trust on Young, Matic, Rashford and Lukaku is what's bringing us down.
Who would you field instead? Everyone is shit and we only have a few turds to go around. Their replacement candidates haven't covered themselves in glory either.

Josep Dowling

Who would you field instead? Everyone is shit and we only have a few turds to go around. Their replacement candidates haven't covered themselves in glory either.
What has happened to Valencia? He keeps posting stuff on Instagram that would suggest he’s fit. Surely he could play ahead of Young. Or Dalot or Darmian?

It’s harsh to blame Rashford though, he’s playing out of position once again to accommodate Lukaku. I don’t get it. He played good in the first half today but he hasn’t had a good game since the PSG match.

Josep Dowling

Problem is this might also be our best chance of qualifying for CL next year by wining Europa League again especially with the emergence of Leicester, Wolves and Everton who will all be pushing top 6 next season.
Come on now I don’t think things have gone that drastic. Whilst Wolves and Everton have money to spend they still can’t attract the really big names. They just pay more for better than average players.

Jacob

What has happened to Valencia? He keeps posting stuff on Instagram that would suggest he’s fit. Surely he could play ahead of Young. Or Dalot or Darmian?

It’s harsh to blame Rashford though, he’s playing out of position once again to accommodate Lukaku. I don’t get it. He played good in the first half today but he hasn’t had a good game since the PSG match.
Imo, none of Valencia, Dalot and Darmian is an improvement on Young. And that says a lot about the state of our squad.

Don't get me started on Rashford. He's just not very good, sadly. His early days with United were successful because opponents didn't know much about him and didn't know what to expect. His only threat is pace.

Speedicut75

So, if we end up 5th and Spurs win the CL ( not countenancing L/Pool .......... puts metaphorical fingers in ears ) do we, under the revamped rules, get a play-off, qualification, spot?

Josep Dowling

Imo, none of Valencia, Dalot and Darmian is an improvement on Young. And that says a lot about the state of our squad.

Don't get me started on Rashford. He's just not very good, sadly. His early days with United were successful because opponents didn't know much about him and didn't know what to expect. His only threat is pace.
I think your assessment of Rashford is wrong. When Solskjaer came in and started Rashford as a striker he looked a much better player. He’s still only 21, he’s going to be inconsistent. His goalscoring and assists record at his age is up there with the best in Europe.

The biggest issue we have is a youngster like Rashford should not be expected to be the main goal scorer at a club the size of United.