United and top 4

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I still hate Leeds more than Liverpool.

Now, i don't want Liverpool to win the league but not to the detriment of United, top 4 and the champions league is massive and was totally out of the equation in early December, since then it's become a very realistic possibility and i hope we batter City at OT.
We should be qualifying for champions league every year afaic whether by winning the premier league or finishing top 4, the last few years have been shambolic in the way the clubs been run but hopefully with Ole in charge we can get back to being something like the old United.
As for Liverpool, i honestly couldn't give a toss despite recieving a bit piss taking from so called Liverpool fans who've been in hiding the past 25 years and want all of a sudden to talk about football. They're not important and i wish folk on here would stop letting them think they are.
I feel very much the same way.
The only club I am really interested in are United and like you it would be absolutely brilliant if we were to beat City, whether that handed the PL to Liverpool or not.
If I am being honest I would have to admit that both City and Liverpool deserve to win it but frankly I don't care either way.
I will only get excited when we take back the PL title. However, we have some way to go to be able to mount a serious title challenge.

I am in two minds about Ole's capability to take us there but I will be the first to admit I am wrong should we win it.

Cargsy

Whats wrong with some of you!?

Reading PL match day thread, people posting stuff like "good shit" after Liverpool scored vs Chelsea. I just dont understand, can you imagine the days and months after Liverpool winning the bloody thing. Just a thought of it makes me sick and i am from Serbia and dont know a single Liverpool fan around me. Put yourself in position of your fellow United fans in England.

Whats up with top 4 shit anyway, are we Arsenal MkII or what?

Let me guess, top 4 means we can attract better players. Ok, how many quality we attracted with our CL participation since SAF? Specially in our case, where, after how many years we still walking blindfolded with almost no progress, no idea behind our football and no vision.

Another can be that if we dont take part of it, we cant win it but lets be real, even this season we are still in it, we scored only one home game in CL, if there wasnt Afro i think, it would be zero. I mean come on. How can you have a go at Glazers or EW, if you have similar thinking as them.

On other side we have Liverpool winning a PL, sorry, majority might not agree with me but if i have to choose top 4 or Liverpool PL champion, top 4 can feck off.

I would ask the question what is wrong with you? Have you forgotten we were 11 points off top 4 in the middle of December?

Screw the rest of the teams and what they can and cannot win, it's all about us and what we need to do to be successful.

Liverpool have gone nearly 30 years without winning the top division in England, they're going to win it again eventually. Do I care about them and their fans' bragging rights more than seeing my team win matches against Man City and Chelsea? Not in a million years.

My love for United is far greater than my hatred of Liverpool.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We can pass Chelsea as we play them the end of April and I think they'll drop more points. The problem is catching Tot or Arsenal. Arsenal have a fairly easy schedule (I was really hoping they would lose yesterday) and it's very possible they do not drop any more points. If they happen to draw a match and we win out they have the better goal difference. Tot will probably lost to Man City and maybe draw another match (vs Everton?). We would have to win out to pass them, though. It's possible but very difficult.

Fracture90

Dunno whether or not this was posted.

Remaining schedule for the 4 teams competing for 3rd and 4th spot.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think we needed last nights result to go our way. Unfortunately it didn't. Think we can get past Chelsea, but as has been said Spurs and Arsenal are a different matter. Of course to make it even worse, Chelsea might win the EL and get into CL that way. Unless we actually win the CL, that would really be rubbing salt in the wound. Think we a fighting for 5th or 6th place.

Raw

Spurs: LWWDW (77 pts)
Arsenal: WLDWW (76 pts)
Chelsea: WLWD (73 pts)
United: DLWWW (74 pts)

Fine margins. Based on this our most realistic chance to get in the top 4 requires us to win the Everton game and hope Arsenal lose the Leicester game or draw the Burnley game. Or we draw against City and Arsenal just has to drop 2 points.

Fracture90

Spurs: LWWDW (77 pts)
Arsenal: WLDWW (76 pts)
Chelsea: WLWD (73 pts)
United: DLWWW (74 pts)

Fine margins. Based on this our most realistic chance to get in the top 4 requires us to win the Everton game and hope Arsenal lose the Leicester game or draw the Burnley game. Or we draw against City and Arsenal just has to drop 2 points.
If we can win every, bar City game, we'd be in a good position, provided Arsenal or Spurs make some mistakes.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I feel very much the same way.
The only club I am really interested in are United and like you it would be absolutely brilliant if we were to beat City, whether that handed the PL to Liverpool or not.
If I am being honest I would have to admit that both City and Liverpool deserve to win it but frankly I don't care either way.
I will only get excited when we take back the PL title. However, we have some way to go to be able to mount a serious title challenge.

I am in two minds about Ole's capability to take us there but I will be the first to admit I am wrong should we win it.
Liverpool don't deserve the PL this season - every decision has gone their way, every piece of luck, no injuries to key players, media backing them blatantly.

It's actually incredible that they're not more ahead.

And as an aside, anyone who thinks that finishing top 4 is a worthy make-weight for Liverpool winning the PL is deluded in my opinion.

The best signings we've made since SAF have happened without CL footy.

CL footy is a bonus for the Glazers, not us.

We need to get back to challenging for the PL. That's the only thing that matters.

purgethefallen

I’d take 5th if it meant stopping Liverpool winning the league. The title win would be historic. No one will give a feck in 2 years if we miss out on CL football next season.
So true, anything to stop the Scousers winning it, we'd never hear the end of it (although CL as well would be ideal).

Flytan

We're not finishing top 4. Arsenal/Tottenham will take the two spots. Honeymoon period is over and we have 3 tough games (one of which we have no chance in with current form).

purgethefallen

Ah yes the classic location meaning someone is more of a red than someone else. Good one. Sorry how the feck can anyone justify hating a different club more than supporting your own club? That's what it boils down to. It doesnt matter where the feck you're from, wanting your own club to fail so a rival also fails is childish, immature, and just shows where your priorities are.

Itd even be somewhat excusable (but still weird) if it was like Chelsea going for the title. But the alternative to Liverpool is fecking City. You'd rather United fail and our second biggest rivals, our local rivals win the league (and beat us at Old Trafford in the process). Its so fecking small time.
Rather have the insignificant neighbours winning it than the Scousers. I still remember the days when pool were winning the league left, right and centre, it was not good at all (especially because my dad's from Liverpool).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rather have the insignificant neighbours winning it than the Scousers. I still remember the days when pool were winning the league left, right and centre, it was not good at all (especially because my dad's from Liverpool).
Yeah but would you rather the noisy neighbors win it and United fail and make next season a lot harder, or United succeed, set up next season nicely while Liverpool wins? Or run the risk of the noisy neighbors beat our greatest ever accomplishment. Because that's a real possibility.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool don't deserve the PL this season - every decision has gone their way, every piece of luck, no injuries to key players, media backing them blatantly.

And as an aside, anyone who thinks that finishing top 4 is a worthy make-weight for Liverpool winning the PL is deluded in my opinion.

We need to get back to challenging for the PL. That's the only thing that matters.
You don’t think nights like the one against PSG is a bonus for you as fans?

It had me on the edge of my seat and I’m not even a United fan.

Last edited:

purgethefallen

Yeah but would you rather the noisy neighbors win it and United fail and make next season a lot harder, or United succeed, set up next season nicely while Liverpool wins? Or run the risk of the noisy neighbors beat our greatest ever accomplishment. Because that's a real possibility.
I'd take anything that stops Liverpool winning the league.

shaky

Why? The title hasn't been retained in a decade - even if we win it this season, City would still be favourites to win the thing next year. We'd also need two more titles after this season to get to 21. Getting to 19 has been hard enough as it is, and hasn't been done yet either. Don't think we'd be favourites to reach 21 before you win just the one league title extra.
I imagine you'll be minimum of strong 2nd favs behind City for the next few years. I hope we're in a position to put up a title challenge sooner rather than later, but it's going to be a couple of years down the line and realistically, that's only a best case scenario. We'll be 25/1+ outsiders next season, you'll only be about 6/4 to reach number 20 next year if you fend off City this season.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

I quite agree that we have to get back to the very top which is of course where Manchester United should be.
I can also understand your views on Liverpool. However, I do believe that you make your luck and over 30 plus games, luck tends to even out.
Regarding injuries, do you not think that this is down to good training and conditioning, remembering the problems they had a year or so ago.

Gator Nate

No way we're finishing 3rd. It's in Arsenal hands now, they have easier fixture and we don't look like a team who can win against City
Worst case scenario - we beat City, Scousers win the title and we finish 5th
I dunno... if Spurs lose to City both of their next two matches, and with Kane out for the season, I can see them going on tilt and crashing out.

Chelsea end up 6th regardless, assuming we beat them.

Arsenal have a minefield with Wolves, Leicester, and Burnley. Arsenal have been Jeckyl & Hyde while their opponents have been gamers (well, Wolves and Burnley have, anyway). Watford held their own against them with 10 men.

However it ends, it's going to be close. My bet is 6 points between 3rd and 6th.

RedDevilRoshi

Spurs: LWDWW (10 points)
Arsenal: WLDWW (10 points)
Chelsea: WLWD (7 points)
Man Utd: WLWWW (12 points)

Will come down to goal difference.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal all are going to have two extra midweek games, provided they do the business tomorrow, and won't have any spare weekends or midweeks until the season ends. Focus may well justifiably slip to focus on Europe. United just need to do the hard yards now.

DownRiver

Can someone enlighten me on the implications of Spurs winning the CL on man utd's qualification for the CL?

Or If Arsenal win the Europa League and get 4th spot, is there a 5th spot for CL?

What is both win the CL and Europa League respectively?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Can someone enlighten me on the implications of Spurs winning the CL on man utd's qualification for the CL?

Or If Arsenal win the Europa League and get 4th spot, is there a 5th spot for CL?

What is both win the CL and Europa League respectively?
There is a 5th spot if the CL winner or Europa League winner finishes outside the top four.

If both finish outside the top four, 4th place does not get a CL spot (the spots go to 1, 2, 3, CL winner, Europa winner).

DownRiver

There is a 5th spot if the CL winner or Europa League winner finishes outside the top four.

If both finish outside the top four, 4th place does not get a CL spot (the spots go to 1, 2, 3, CL winner, Europa winner).
Informative, thank you!

The days of wanting the english team to win in europe ended when they opened the CL up to having more than one english team in the competition.

Obviously there's always been been a United and Liverpool thing, but the lesser clubs not really. In the 80s and 90s i knew city fans the were happy for us to do well in euriope (not all of them, but nothing like now)

I think lower league and non league fans enjoyed cheering the english teams in europe - social media ended all that imo

ForeverUnited93

No chance in hell we are finishing top 4. Current form suggests we will lose at least 2 of our remaining games, and probably draw 1 or 2, we are playing shitful football, on par or worse than under Mourinho.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Sorry to break the news, but we’re not getting top 4. Post-managerial change bounce is truly done and dusted. Half our players are counting down the days until the season is over so they can leave, while the other half is dreaming about getting huge pay raises and stealing a living. We got idiots running the team, an inexperienced manager at this level, and pussies on the pitch wearing the shirt. It’ll be a huge fecking achievement if we make top 4, really doubt it’ll happen.

Resch

If Aresenal or Chelsea win the EL and finish 3rd or 4th, the 5th place would be enough to play CL next year. If Tottenham finishes 6th an wins the CL, all the Big 6 would play in the CL next year or?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Should Arsenal and Chelsea both go through tonight, they might both be looking at the Europa as the best route into the Champions League.

I can see Spurs beating Ajax but probably dropping off in the League. Suddenly 3rd place becomes very important. You don’t want to be finishing the season still unsure about whether you’ve still qualified.

As I’ve said before, the other issue is the fight to avoid 6th place (should City lose the cup final.)

Raw

If Aresenal or Chelsea win the EL and finish 3rd or 4th, the 5th place would be enough to play CL next year. If Tottenham finishes 6th an wins the CL, all the Big 6 would play in the CL next year or?
Nope, 5th will never grant a CL place. All that'll happen is that extra CL place goes to some other team in another league and City, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal/Chelsea go to the CL.

As for the second sentence, 4th place will miss out on the CL if Spurs and Arsenal/Chelsea win their European competitions and also finish outside the top 4. Only a maximum of 5 teams from England can qualify for the CL.

Suedesi

We're not finishing top 4. Arsenal/Tottenham will take the two spots. Honeymoon period is over and we have 3 tough games (one of which we have no chance in with current form).

We're not finishing top 4, and it's not necessarily the end of the world.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
As much as the 4-0 defeat is a real emotional setback, this was not at all a bad weekend results wise for United. I had us making top four with a draw at Everton, whilst Arsenal and Chelsea would pick up three points. To lose 0 and 1 points respectively on those teams, instead of 2 on each is a real surprising upside.

If United can beat Chelsea and win their final two games against the bottom three sides, they’ll be in with a good shout. A point against City would be massive too. Any sort of recovery in form and we’ll get top four. The other sides will continue to drop points with European finals beckoning. That’ll certainly be the priority for them and rightly so. Only the best sides can consistently win twice a week and Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea are not those sides.

Chelsea have two away matches to United and Leicester, whilst Watford at home will be a tough Sunday with cup final places up for grabs for them and Chelsea having played away in Europe on the Thursday. Arsenal have three out of four away ties as well as home time against Brighton fighting for their lives. Spurs will likely finish a comfortable third with three matches at their new ground against reasonable opposition, but the other two should be catchable.

Time to prove your mettle, Ole, and deliver what seemed unthinkable upon your appointment. C’mon lads, fecking step up.

haram

Have to beat Chelsea and hope they trip up against Leicester away really. Unless we can absolutely whack Huddersfield and Cardiff to make up the goal difference, which is doable.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Back to back victories against City and Chelsea to get back in the top four would be a nice sweetener but nothing should get in the way of what needs to happen in the summer after yesterday’s final straw for this squad.

ericking

I thought for a long this season would have the big six all well above 70 points, but these past few weeks have seen miserable form from 3-6. No way all four above 70 points now.