g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

United are no longer a big club........apparently.

psychdelicblues

Raymond Domenech has claimed that Manchester United would be a sideways transfer move for Tottenham Hotspur’s Hugo Lloris.

The former France manager believes that the Red Devils can no longer be considered one of the biggest clubs.

Domenech believes that Lloris is one of the finest stoppers and the Spurs glovesman should only leave for a top European club.

‘I have no decision to take for him, but in my opinion he has to play in Chelsea, Arsenal, or Manchester City, to play in the European Cup,’ he told the Mail.

‘Tottenham is a big club – it is not the biggest. Manchester United qualified for the Champions League, but I can’t really see the difference with Tottenham.

‘For me, it’s Chelsea, Arsenal, or Manchester City. Because I think Manchester United is no more a big club, in England, for me. I think like that.
http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/05/raymo...e-for-tottenham-hotspurs-hugo-lloris-5280661/

Hellboy

It's Raymond Domenech FFS doesn't even deserve a thread.

French residents will tell you how he's perceived in France.

Sylar

Didnt he pick players based on the stars?

Super Nani

His opinion has angered me, what an idiot. The most successful club in England is no longer one of the biggest....riiiight.

MarkC

This is the same guy that wouldn't play certain players based on there star sign. Clearly a bit mental.

FujiVice

Ask Adidas and all those international touring promoters if we're a big club, Raymond.

Art Vandelay

He's entitled to his opinion and based on the last 2 years Chelsea, City and Arsenal would be a bigger step up than us. Lloris would also be second choice at most of those clubs so the point is moot anyway. Not bothered at all if someone thinks we are a big club or not, only bothered by getting back to the top.

Sam

Can't argue with the stars. Someone should tell Adidas they've made a terrible mistake.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
He raises some very fair points to be fair.

I think if Spurs sign someone James McCarthy in the summer, then we're in serious danger of losing whatever is left of our aura

Bite

Morpheus 7

If we need advice on how to avoid a team mutiny or picking a first 11 according to the sky, we will let you know Ray.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
His opinion has angered me, what an idiot. The most successful club in England is no longer one of the biggest....riiiight.
Liverpool are arguably more/as successful as us, historically. Are they still one of the biggest clubs?

Anyway Domenech is a plank.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
in the words of Fergie, "lads it's Tottenham".

Finished above us once in probably 25-30 years, and that took a Moyes disaster to happen.

Meanwhile Arsenal are still a big club after 2 trophies in 10years?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Domenech is a bit dense to be fair, and either he didn't think this through, or he just wants attention. Which by the reaction of United fans on comments sections across various social media platforms is precisely what he accomplished with this absurd statement. Good job keeping your name relevant Raymond (maybe even by accident), unless the quotes were misconstrued for some reason.

As for his revelation, a couple of seasons of finishing behind City or Chelsea, or around Tottenham don't make a big difference in terms of a club's overall standing. Just like Augsburg aren't comparable to Borussia Dortmund or Schalke because they finished ahead of them in the Bundesliga table; hell Milan have consistently been a non-factor in Serie A finishing behind the likes of Genoa, Torino and Parma in recent seasons - but they're still lightyears away in terms of stature and could attract anyone headed for Serie A unless they're going head on with Juventus or Internazionale, maybe Roma at a push if they offer more money. Perhaps those example were a bit extreme because Tottenham is a a decent sized Top 6-7 club; but you don't just disregard much greater revenues, a superior squad (of course Spurs fans will disagree tooth and nail), better and more proven management, the pull of playing at one of the most storied stadiums in European football, or historical success (as recent as 2013) - factors that Doemench essentially didn't consider, or likely minimized while formulating his opinion.

Loublaze

ATLien
Maybe he doesn't realize Nani is on his way out. He doesn't trust Scorpios you know...

pacifictheme

Football is a fast paced sport, if united had spent another season or two outside of the top 4 i think he'd be right. Luckily we're back in and hopefully we'll kick on.

His Arsenal comments are weird as they do feck all in Europe each year and haven't looked like winning the league for 10 years now...