United finally setting up a women's team | Championship application successful

Grande

This is the existing thread about Man United Womens team from a year back:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/manchester-united-women-officially-back-in-the-league.430227/

@mods maybe it could be merged with this?

I’m really excited about the expressed focus on bringing through young players, and I believe this will be a more serious take on women’s football than last time around when the club gave the team some water bottles and worn out youth shorts and told them to take the tube to games.

Casey Stoney looks an interesting appointment for head coach. I do hope we attract a few seasoned players for the youngsters to learn from! Emilie Haavi and Izzy Christensen for instance?

DBT85

This is great. Hope the people (fans included) pushing for it aren't just doing so because it sounds right in theory and actually have plans to support/follow the women's team or it could eventually get folded for a lack of interest and/or disproportionate financial losses
With the women's game getting more popular every year I think something serious would have to happen to get them to shut it down again. The brand could do with it too.

The costs of running it will be pitiful really. Only if the womens game REALLY takes off would it ever cost more, and if it did so then the clubs would also earn more from prize money and tv rights.

Said it before, I'm just happy that my daughter can grow up with the irrational dream of playing for United. As I did, my brother did and my dad did.

Now I'm just excited to see any news at all and tune in for the games.

Affirmation

I'm excited to see how the Manchester United Woman's team develops under the leadership of Casey Stoney. To me it seems as if the club will be focusing on promoting from within which in a sense is a good thing because of the outstanding setup already in place. Casey also seems to have a very impressive CV and already has some experience in the head coach role.

In my opinion though I would most definitely like to see a "big name" woman's player come in as it would add a lot of experience to the squad and generate a lot of interest in the project while also helping to guide and inspire a lot of the young players who are inevitability going to be coming in.

Reactions: KM

Himannv

It's a really interesting appointment since she's just recently retired and a star of the game. She has the chance to build a team from scratch as well, so it's a good opportunity for her. Hope we do well.

dogwithabone

Nothing sexist but women’s football getting way too much air time on sky and everywhere. Bottom line is it’s a poor product and I think sky, in particular, are over hyping this just to conform to the ridiculous PC world we live in.

Look at the product first and then worry about sexist issues.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
From the club today:
"The club has received approval from the FA to enter a professional women's team into the FA Women's Championship for the 2018/19 season. Adult Season Ticket prices confirmed at £39. "

Playing in Leigh

Nick7

Nothing sexist but women’s football getting way too much air time on sky and everywhere. Bottom line is it’s a poor product and I think sky, in particular, are over hyping this just to conform to the ridiculous PC world we live in.

Cool.

Product will only get better with more eyes on it and more money being invested, if you don't like that you should probably steer clear of threads about it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Way too much airtime at the expense of what? The Russia V England women's WC qualifier is on the BBC red button at the moment. It's not exactly driving other programming off the air or even other sports out of the schedule. At the moment it's a minority interest item, a novelty looking for a bit of airtime and a bit of backing. It's therefore also cheap programming - for a channel like the BBC that makes it useful, for a channel like Sky Sports it fills another couple of minutes so the repeat cycle isn't too short on a slow news day.

As to improving the product, that's exactly what the game's trying to do. More pro coaches, more fulltime players, better organised leagues. For United it means taking advantage of its name and its history in producing good young female players (in its youth community program), adding in a coach who's well known and respected in the women's game, and seeing where it goes.

I don't know how long it'll take for us to have a United women's team playing good football and helping raise the standards of the game - I'm just pleased that we're making a start.

Trizy

I'd imagine the sponsors will roll in quickly as regardless of the on the pitch success (Or lack of) were a house hold name. Hope we go full galactico :drool:

I'd imagine the sponsors will roll in quickly as regardless of the on the pitch success (Or lack of) were a house hold name. Hope we go full galactico :drool:
Sponsors is an interesting one - will they have the same sponsors as the men’s team? A number of years ago, a Spurs sponsor didn’t include rights to something like Europa rights, and so Spurs got a different shirt sponsor for those matches.

It may be the case that specific rights to sponsor our women’s shirts were not included when we signed with Chevrolet?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Former Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool player now managing Manchester fecking United :mad:

The_Order

I'm not racist, but...

*proceeds to say racist things*

This is Manchester United, not the MRA

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
She's gay, but her partner is a huge United fan. From Stoney's BBC column:

We don't know their sex yet but I'm not sure they will have any other choice than to follow football. As Megan is a Manchester United fan, I've already been told they will be wearing club baby grows so I've lost the war on that one!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Great first interview!
It was, I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. https://mutv.manutd.com/videos/1780

She sounds so convinced about what the job means and so pleased to get it. I particularly loved her statement of ambitions at the end.
“My ultimate aim is to grow this team so that every little girl growing up dreams when she’s older she wants to play for Manchester United, because they’re the most successful team in women’s football.”

Grande

It was, I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. https://mutv.manutd.com/videos/1780

She sounds so convinced about what the job means and so pleased to get it. I particularly loved her statement of ambitions at the end.
“My ultimate aim is to grow this team so that every little girl growing up dreams when she’s older she wants to play for Manchester United, because they’re the most successful team in women’s football.”
I’ll be interested in what kind of football she is envisioning. I expect she is a leader and potentially a good person manager, having been captain at all levels and being mentor for several of the players who won bronze for England at the WC. Seeing as she’s got her coaching experience from the Academies of Chelsea and Arsenal, how will she like us to play?

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I meant to post this when the news first came out about the womens team but either didn't have time or forgot.

I was genuinely chuffed when i first found out as when i found out the sex of my first child (a girl btw) i was absolutely gutted as she couldn't grow up to play for United and they was actually my first words at the scan to the disgust of the mrs and the midwife.

I have had two sons since then who can fufill my dream of my child playing for us one day but now my daughter can also play for us when she is older (theoretically)

So in a shorter version it's great that now little girls can also dream of growing up to play for United as i did when i was a child.

Grande

I meant to post this when the news first came out about the womens team but either didn't have time or forgot.

I was genuinely chuffed when i first found out as when i found out the sex of my first child (a girl btw) i was absolutely gutted as she couldn't grow up to play for United and they was actually my first words at the scan to the disgust of the mrs and the midwife.

I have had two sons since then who can fufill my dream of my child playing for us one day but now my daughter can also play for us when she is older (theoretically)

So in a shorter version it's great that now little girls can also dream of growing up to play for United as i did when i was a child.
While I to a degree maybe does understand your missus, I certainly also understand you. Of course, kids should be allowed their very own dreams, and now your girl has a lot more to dream about should she want to!

Silver

If you don't want to seem sexist then maybe don't make a comment which is nothing but sexist... you're the only one bringing up sexism here as well. Just because it's not on the same level as men's football doesn't make it a poor product. Yet another example of someone using the "PC" excuse to hit out at something they feel threatened by. Is focusing on the women's game taking away from the men's game? Why do you feel so threatened?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I was talking to a teenage relative a couple of weeks back, and the subject drifted to football. Realising she was interested, I asked her if she'd been to a United match, and she told me no, but she'd been to a few of City's women's matches with her friend.

Naturally I was horrified and threw her out of the house. Well, I thought about doing that anyway :smirk:. I've told her that I'll take her and her pal to their first men's match (United obviously, probably a CL game) and I'll take them to one of the women's games as well.

I wanted us to have a women's team, it just seemed obvious to me that we should. I knew (in theory) that we were missing something in the community and in danger of missing a way to connect to some young fans. Realising she'd started to identify with City not because of Pep or trophies but because of the women's team still came as a shock though.