United get homophobic abuse

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't need someone to draw my attention because they think my opinions are "obnoxious" or "insular", As I've said many times I have nothing against gay people, we all have a right to express ourselves in any way we see fit but I don't want to keep hearing about it and I certainly don't want the football club I support to get involved in anything else other than football.
Repeatedly saying you don't have a problem with gay people doesn't automatically make it so though, especially when your other views directly contradict that statement.

Mister_Stubbs

Yes, basically. Gay people should neither be seen or heard because it makes you feel uncomfortable. You don't care about the feelings of others but would like the world to change to accommodate your own. Your responses in here seem to demonstrate that you're a delicate flower that requires watering even at the expense of the garden.
Far from it, I think the delicate flowers in this forum are those who are shocked and outraged by the fact some don't want to see guys kissss on their tv screens.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Far from it, I think the delicate flowers in this forum are those who are shocked and outraged by the fact some don't want to see guys kissss on their tv screens.
Did you delete your safe space joke because - in a moment of clarity - you realised that was exactly what you were calling for?

And if so, does that count as an opinion challenged?

Mister_Stubbs

Did you delete your safe space joke because - in a moment of clarity - you realised that was exactly what you were calling for?
Nope, wasn't me who deleted it.

I don't want a safe space, I just don't want to see gay couples kissing all over my tv screen. It makes me feel uncomfortable.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nope, wasn't me who deleted it.

I don't want a safe space, I just don't want to see gay couples kissing all over my tv screen. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
I don't think you'd be alone in feeling this. A lot of people who grow up (particularly) in previous generations are not comfortable seeing this sort of thing.

Mister_Stubbs

I don't think you'd be alone in feeling this. A lot of people who grow up (particularly) in previous generations are not comfortable seeing this sort of thing.
You wouldn't have thought so judging by many comments in here. I fail to see the connection between being uncomfortable when gay couples kissing on my tv to respecting their life choices or however you want to say it.

Silva

You wouldn't have thought so judging by many comments in here. I fail to see the connection between being uncomfortable when gay couples kissing on my tv to respecting their life choices or however you want to say it.
You're asking for a football club to pretend that their local gay population doesn't exist.

Mister_Stubbs

You dont give a flying feck about others opinions but want everyone to know yours
Would make for a pretty boring topic if you didn't express opinions wouldn't it?

And I think you'll find I said feelings, not opinions.

Mister_Stubbs

You're asking for a football club to pretend that their local gay population doesn't exist.
No, I'm asking a football club to stick to football matters except for certain scenarios. Out of interest, did the club tweet anything regardingthe women's march within the City in January? What about the next feminist march? Future black lives matter marches?

schwarzfahren

I can guarantee the discomfort you feel watching 2 men kiss on tv is nothing compared to the discomfort I felt during years and years of internalized homophobia and self-hatred. :boring:

Silva

No, I'm asking a football club to stick to football matters except for certain scenarios. Out of interest, did the club tweet anything regardingthe women's march within the City in January? What about the next feminist march? Future black lives matter marches?
Dunno. But those also seem like fine causes to support.

And yes you are. You don't want your club associated with anything gay. And it's blatantly because you're a massive homophobe.

Mister_Stubbs

And yes you are. You don't want your club associated with anything gay. And it's blatantly because you're a massive homophobe.
But they don't, or at least haven't done.. all of which could be described as just as oppressed as the gay community right? And that's my point, they should either tweet support for all similar marches going forward or none at all. Stick to the football and not just pick and choose a cause just to please the minority.

Okay, well if seeing gay couples kiss make sure me homophobic then so be it, I doubt I'm the only one on here who is though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Way to keep the discussion civil.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
You have to recognise it's also their TV. There is a connection because although you say you respect their life and choices you appear to want to reject the opportunity and right for those lives and choices to be expressed. This seems to be solely because you find it personally intrusive and discomfiting.

My dad also feels unnerved when looking at overt displays of homosexuality. He whinges about it, changes channel, screws his face up. He at least recognises this as a personal failing though and doesn't believe the world ought to be specifically arranged to cater to his particular bugbears. He sucks it up, believing that their right to exist and be seen to exist trumps his own momentary lapse in comfort level.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You have to recognise it's also their TV. There is a connection because although you say you respect their life and choices you appear to want to reject the opportunity and right for those lives and choices to be expressed. This seems to be solely because you find it personally intrusive and discomfiting.

My dad also feels unnerved when looking at overt displays of homosexuality. He whinges about it, changes channel, screws his face up. He at least recognises this as a personal failing though and doesn't believe the world ought to be specifically arranged to cater to his particular bugbears. He sucks it up, believing that their right to exist and be seen to exist trumps his own momentary lapse in comfort level.
I think its largely a generational thing. Just as today, a lot of people aren't interested in watching anything trans-related as it freaks them out the same way the gay thing did to people a few years back. Its a gradual process of acclimatization.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I don't need someone to draw my attention because they think my opinions are "obnoxious" or "insular", As I've said many times I have nothing against gay people, we all have a right to express ourselves in any way we see fit but I don't want to keep hearing about it and I certainly don't want the football club I support to get involved in anything else other than football.
All the club said was that it hoped all attending had a good time. Is that really so awful?

JustAFan

It would have been weird to say they hoped everyone at a BLM march had a good time.

Mister_Stubbs

All the club said was that it hoped all attending had a good time. Is that really so awful?
No, it's a harmless tweet. What annoys me about it as I've said is that I personally feel like it's something being pushed upon us to much these days and think a football club should just stick to football matters unless in certain circumstances otherwise what's to say the club won't start tweeting about every rally now held in Manchester when in truth for a lot of people a football club is something they have to escape the everyday goings on in the world.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I think its largely a generational thing. Just as today, a lot of people aren't interested in watching anything trans-related as it freaks them out the same way the gay thing did to people a few years back. Its a gradual process of acclimatization.
Yeah, in large part it does seem generational and I think you're right about the trans stuff too. I remember going to see the Ladyboys of Bangkok and being fairly disconcerted because I found some of them genuinely attractive.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I can guarantee the discomfort you feel watching 2 men kiss on tv is nothing compared to the discomfort I felt during years and years of internalized homophobia and self-hatred.
And ^this^ kind of statement should be the final word, really.

It's entirely a matter of empathy for fellow human beings, regardless of their sexuality.

SteveJ

Scout
I remember going to see the Ladyboys of Bangkok and being fairly disconcerted because I found some of them genuinely attractive.
The main thing, though, was that theirs was a very human story (and a very moving one too).

Last edited:

JustAFan

No, it's a harmless tweet. What annoys me about it as I've said is that I personally feel like it's something being pushed upon us to much these days and think a football club should just stick to football matters unless in certain circumstances otherwise what's to say the club won't start tweeting about every rally now held in Manchester when in truth for a lot of people a football club is something they have to escape the everyday goings on in the world.
So a harmless tweet then. nothing to be annoyed about.

Not sure how the tweet prevents you from escaping anything?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
The main thing, though, was that theirs was a very human story (and a very moving one too).
I meant the amazing cabaret act at the Fringe and have to say I don't recollect any particular story being present either time I went (though I wasn't the best for wear).

SteveJ

Scout
I meant the amazing cabaret act at the Fringe and have to say I don't recollect any particular story being present either time I went (though I wasn't the best for wear).
:lol: Oh, sorry mate - I was thinking of the well-known documentary. :D

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
And no one in general bats an eyelid when there are much more stay at home mom than dad.

The point here isn't that they are barred from taking part in courses/career of their own choosing, it's that they face more barriers in attaining progression in a male centric environment, which is often enough discourage a good amount from participating altogether.

Even in childhood, we are still encouraging boys to be bold and daring and be involved more in physical activities, while girls are tended to academic, housework etc... The whole system is set on making them playing a submissive role to men.

Anyway, I think I'm not changing minds here and we are derailing the thread, sorry state that it is in. Have to leave for work soon but if you are still interested then feel free to create a thread or move the discussion to a relevant one and tag me. I'll reply when I have the time.
Should they? As long as those people have 100% freedom to choose I really don't see a problem. Anyway I agree, we should probably leave it there and keep this thread from going any further off the rails.

To be honest I don't see a lot wrong with that, I think it's your other posts in this thread that have caused the uproar. I'd largely agree with that. I also don't like seeing gays kissing, but that's for the sole reason that I'm not into that stuff. My immediate reaction is to think "eugh". However as the next post says...

You can't go through life without seeing stuff you don't want to see, and you don't have the right to not be offended. They should be able to see their own people on TV, just as they have to watch two straight people going at it in 99% of films ever.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I fail to see how United tweeting about the pride parade is "pushing" anything on anyone. It's a tweet. It's what, 1 line of text and a photo? You just scroll right past it if it doesn't interest you, and look at one of their more inane and pointless tweets like "Old Trafford is looking great in the sunshine today eh?". They're not forcing you to go to it. The live coverage of the game on Saturday wasn't interrupted by gay pride parade footage. They didn't choose between a gay pride tweet OR a football tweet, like they have a quota to fill. If they hadn't have tweeted about the pride parade, they wouldn't have tweeted anything until the next tweetable occurrence happens. They're not hindering football in any way. Acting like they are is baseless and nonsensical.

I don't get it. One person calls out the "delicate flowers" who are supposedly so easily offended these days, but is also offended by United tweeting about gay pride instead of just sticking to football, and TV drama having the nerve to try and depict normal life - of which homosexuals are apart of.

The people who are so easily offended these days always seem to be the ones who are saying that people are so easily offended these days.