United have conceded the same amount of goals in open-play as Man City in the league so far this season

Martial

Joint forth with City in the fewest goals conceded from open-play in the league so far this season.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What's the point of the thread? Conceding almost a goal per game from open play in addition to a heap of goals from set pieces is hardly badge of honor worthy.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It certainly is an interesting stat, but I've learned a while ago this season is a glitch in Matrix and can't be described by any parameters. For example our opponents in the last 3 games aggregated xG of 5,6 and scored a total of 2 goals. We've accumulated xG 5,4 and scored 7 goals.

Onana is one of the best gks in the league and has thrown us out of CL.

Glitch in matrix.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Luton had 22 shots against us
And only scored 1. I’ve noticed a lot of teams do tend to have halve of there shots outside the box against us that’s why the stats are always ridiculously high. West Ham kept shooting from miles out against us, that’s why they had 20+ shots. Anyone can do that and you can say you battered the opponents on chances. Doesn’t always tell the real story.

tomaldinho1

Luton had 22 shots against us
It genuinely amazes me people don’t understand how irrelevant this stat in isolation is. If we took a random caf member and they played ST for 90mins for a PL team, they could probably register at least 10 shots. None would trouble the keeper of course, but apparently it would show a poor defence.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What's the point of the thread? Conceding almost a goal per game from open play in addition to a heap of goals from set pieces is hardly badge of honor worthy.
I asked myself the same question. It feels like heavy copium.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Doesn't add up?

Edited my post. Somehow I was looking at the Villa game :lol:

Realised it now. I went back two weeks Sunday on sofascore rather than the week just passed!

cyberman

This exposes the problem of XG. I was flat out told it’s fact that if you concede so many shots in goal over a season then you’ll concede one or two a game. We also have the fourth best defence in the league and that’s come out of nowhere since December odd. I remember conceding 3 goals 4/5 games in a row or something stupid.
Who knew marking strikers out of the game and having their DM shoot from 25 yards out instead of recycling the ball and getting moved around wasn’t a bad idea?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
And only scored 1. I’ve noticed a lot of teams do tend to have halve of there shots outside the box against us that’s why the stats are always ridiculously high. West Ham kept shooting from miles out against us, that’s why they had 20+ shots. Anyone can do that and you can say you battered the opponents on chances. Doesn’t always tell the real story.
I was taking the piss out of the people who kept posting the stat without context or actually watching the game.

Unfortunately single stats get hijacked to try to prove personal opinions, however stats don't exist in a vacuum and there is usually a wider context to be taken into account.

Many posters on here don't do that though.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It genuinely amazes me people don’t understand how irrelevant this stat in isolation is. If we took a random caf member and they played ST for 90mins for a PL team, they could probably register at least 10 shots. None would trouble the keeper of course, but apparently it would show a poor defence.
I know, you can see my real opinion just above but I completely agree with you.

cyberman

Blocked shots count in those stats as well. Basically a defence can shut down and smother every shot to make sure it doesn’t even reach the keeper yet the stats would read we let 20 shots on our goal.
These stats are far too broad. There are entire departments that are used to make sense of data yet we place so much on superficial stats that it supersedes what we’re seeing on the pitch

Sniper007

That stat is more down to the fact opponents have failed to take chances they should be scoring.

If you look at the table based on xG (on average what the results should have been based on chances) then it paints a very different and damning picture.

Based on xG, we should be 15th in the table. We have effectively been the luckiest team in the league this season. We’ve got 16 points more than we would have been expected to get.

The fact that there’s been multiple occasions where we’ve face 20+ shots or close to that in games is worrying. I think it was Wolves who were the first team in 18 years to have as many shots against us at Old trafford than any other team. This has been a regular pattern this season. Us taking chances we wouldn’t be expected to score and opponents missing huge chances they should have scored.

https://www.football365.com/news/feature-premier-league-xg-table-expected-goals-2023-24

Reactions: BenitoSTARR

Sniper007

Blocked shots count in those stats as well. Basically a defence can shut down and smother every shot to make sure it doesn’t even reach the keeper yet the stats would read we let 20 shots on our goal.
These stats are far too broad. There are entire departments that are used to make sense of data yet we place so much on superficial stats that it supersedes what we’re seeing on the pitch
Look at the xG For and Against this season and then you’ll see it is a reason for concern.

tomaldinho1

Exactly it’s not even on target (and even that doesn’t really mean much). Simply a shot.

uwotm8

Agree the '22 shots' is a flawed stat. But we still let them have far too much a go at us. Genuinely thought they deserved a draw out of that at least. It was a poor performance but does not negate some of the recent quality that we have seen.

DJ_21

I was taking the piss out of the people who kept posting the stat without context or actually watching the game.

Unfortunately single stats get hijacked to try to prove personal opinions, however stats don't exist in a vacuum and there is usually a wider context to be taken into account.

Many posters on here don't do that though.
Fair enough mate. I’m absolutely with you. I’ve said it multiple times… teams can shoot from all over the place and that suddenly makes them the better team in some people’s eyes.

DJ_21

Agree the '22 shots' is a flawed stat. But we still let them have far too much a go at us. Genuinely thought they deserved a draw out of that at least. It was a poor performance but does not negate some of the recent quality that we have seen.
How did they deserve a draw? Did you not see the chances we missed? We should have scored at least 5. I can’t really remember them missing any proper chances. They scored the 1 decent chance they got. All the others was shots from all over and blocked ones.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Its weird that people cant see the reason for quoting this and why it might have some relevance and is useful to know.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
nah. if i had 10 shots, i’d score 11 goals.

Sniper007

I'd be interested in knowing how many shots we've conceded in the league this season. I'm terrified of a battering this season.
I’ve posted above the xG table based on shots for and against. The truth is we have “got away with it” a lot more than other teams. We would be expected to be 15th on average at the moment.

Gordon S

I'd be interested in knowing how many shots we've conceded in the league this season. I'm terrified of a battering this season.
There was a stat posted in match day thread against Luton, we had conceded as many shots as they had. Can`t remember what that number was

astracrazy

Talk about scrapping the barrel. You must surely see what a pointless stat this is with Everton conceding less.

SER19

Don't know why thread is getting criticised, i assume its drawing attention to how much we concede from set pieces

SER19

Ya 4 shots on target, couple of them tepid. Loads of hopeful punts at goal isn't a worry

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Talk about scrapping the barrel. You must surely see what a pointless stat this is with Everton conceding less.
Everton have actually conceded fewer goals than us this season overall as well. They have joint 4th best defense.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Rather it shows that they had the opportunity to hit 22 shots. A big club taking itself seriously wouldn't allow it. City, Liverpool and Arsenal have far less shots conceded taking into account all struggled at Luton

Tony247

Joint forth with City in the fewest goals conceded from open-play in the league so far this season.

It actually paints a grim picture. Comparing an attacking possession based team vs a team that sits back and counter on opportunity. Latter should concede less than the former.

Rossa

This exposes the problem of XG. I was flat out told it’s fact that if you concede so many shots in goal over a season then you’ll concede one or two a game. We also have the fourth best defence in the league and that’s come out of nowhere since December odd. I remember conceding 3 goals 4/5 games in a row or something stupid.
Who knew marking strikers out of the game and having their DM shoot from 25 yards out instead of recycling the ball and getting moved around wasn’t a bad idea?
I read an article saying that goalie stats are flawed in more ways than any other because it is so hard to compare due to playing styles. For instance, they used Lloris as an example. Under one manager, they would play a high line which normally results in few shots against, but the shots that do come are often difficult to save, meaning that statistically that season Lloris struggled and was one of the poorer goalies. The next season they changed manager and tactics with a much lower defense, and subsequently there were more shots, and Lloris' save percentage and also xG (cumulatively) went up. You could see a pattern where the same goalie would have very different results under different managers because of this effect.

Also, a great defender can force an attacker into making poor shots, so even if the shots hit the target, they are very easy to save. On the other hand, poorer defenders may not be able to do this and thus the shots are much harder to save for the goalie. The shot is taken from the same place, and thus the xG or whatever is the same, but because of the defender, the goalie may or may not have a hard time saving it.

Use stats by all means, but it's definitely not the end of having discussions about players' performances.