United have conceded the same amount of goals in open-play as Man City in the league so far this season

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The stats say it all to be honest. Isn’t he in like the top 3 this season for shot stopping?
He definitely was a few weeks ago, and I don't think he's made a howler or reduced his big saves since.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He definitely was a few weeks ago, and I don't think he's made a howler or reduced his big saves since.
The one thing we can all criticise him on though and it’s the one thing we expected to see was his ball playing skills. Against Luton he hit it long a lot of the time.

Nas-JR

The one thing we can all criticise him on though and it’s the one thing we expected to see was his ball playing skills. Against Luton he hit it long a lot of the time.
His pass to Dalot was incredible and should have led to a goal. I feel like he hit quite a few more mid/long balls to the free man quite a few times that beat the press of Luton. He also largely kept the ball moving with his feet when he needed to.

I wouldn't class the Luton game as an example to play down his ball playing skills. I also think he's playing long balls largely cause its part of our game plan, not cause he's panicking and getting rid.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I was going to add, the distribution is hampered by the fact that both Licha and Shaw aren't there. Outside of Dalot we don't have anyone who can take the ball on a half turn.

In the Luton game specifically, ten hag mentioned being unhappy that we dropped too deep versus them. I don't think there were many balls on for Onana in that particular fixture.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I was going to add, the distribution is hampered by the fact that both Licha and Shaw aren't there. Outside of Dalot we don't have anyone who can take the ball on a half turn.

In the Luton game specifically, ten hag mentioned being unhappy that we dropped too deep versus them. I don't think there were many balls on for Onana in that particular fixture.
Exactly

astracrazy

Huh? Goals conceded is a pointless stat? :lol:
No but come on, we get too caught up in this stat and that stat. I'm just pointing out as good as it may well be, Everton are doing better and look at their league position - this stat is pointless.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No but come on, we get too caught up in this stat and that stat. I'm just pointing out as good as it may well be, Everton are doing better and look at their league position - this stat is pointless.
Not really pointless at all. We are in our league position because a) points deduction and b) we have scored the least in the division.

Without the points deduction we would be fairly comfortable currently due to our defense being solid.

cyril C

Don't know why thread is getting criticised, i assume its drawing attention to how much we concede from set pieces
Yes, because it tried to draw conclusion from a section of the game that suits his/her argument.

What about other goals that we conceded from set piece?
How many goals have we scored

Big Sam's team would normally concede much less goals, but do you want Big Sam, or worse, want MU playing like Big Sam's team?

SER19

Yes, because it tried to draw conclusion from a section of the game that suits his/her argument.

What about other goals that we conceded from set piece?
How many goals have we scored

Big Sam's team would normally concede much less goals, but do you want Big Sam, or worse, want MU playing like Big Sam's team?
this is all quite a leap. Again I imagine the OP is suggesting that set piece defending can very much a coachable thing that can improve. How many times do you hear players and managers saying it's especially frustrating to concede from a set piece. In a season when our defence has come in for plenty of often fair criticism, it is interesting to think that our defending in open play may not be as bad as we think. Either way, whatever the OP suggests, its a pretty harmless take and has elicited a weirdly defensive/hostile reaction.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The fact those xG are so close does make me question the value of xG as a metric.

I think people who know football would say United created four or five "big' chances. Hojlund first goal, Garnacho one vs one, Bruno one vs one, Hojlund chance for hattrick.

We also created the Bruno chance, free shot in the box, Rashford chance at 1-0, free shot from the edge of the box and the "chance" for Hojlunds' 2nd goal - no idea how xG rates that one?

What did Luton create?

My consistent gripe with xG is how does is factor in the nuances?

So two examples...

Carlton Morris goal - free header, six yards out BUT...no pace on the ball and it's looping down after a deflection. Not commenting on whether Onana made the right or wrong decision to attempt to close down the header...but IF, all else being equal, Onana stays on his line...how does that impact xG? Does xG 'know' where Onana was? Does it 'know' there was no pace on the ball? There is a World of difference between a whipped cross that Morris simply has to nod in from that position and what actually transpired.

Likewise...the Bruno chance. He goes through on goal one vs one and takes a shot from the edge of the box at a fairly difficult angle...but does xG 'know' that he'd rounded the goalkeeper?
I had been thinking about that tweet actually, cause to my mind, it's got two problems: it came out too soon after the match and doesn't show which company provided these xG values. Both issues come from the same thing: the xG value of shots is determined manually by analysts watching games. (Or at least, that's my understanding.) I am not sure how complex xG models are (for example: how many of the complexities of your two examples are taken into account?), but either way, those analysts are coding situations in a database while watching. That means that there is a level of subjectivity and that error is possible. To my knoweldge, companies compensate for those risks by having at least one other analyst re-watch the game afterwards and verify the coding - but so you need to know which company produced the stats (they might have different quality levels), and you either way can't have reliable xG stats until the validation has taken place.

Other than that, xG doesn't record when a situation just failed to become a chance (e.g., the assist for a great tap-in is just off), so apart from issues with xG calculations, it anyway should not be used on its own to determine how a match was played. (Which no serious analysts would ever do of course, but for the public, xG undeservedly has become some sort of shorthand for overall match analysis.)

I'll end my xG rant there. :)

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I had been thinking about that tweet actually, cause to my mind, it's got two problems: it came out too soon after the match and doesn't show which company provided these xG values. Both issues come from the same thing: the xG value of shots is determined manually by analysts watching games. (Or at least, that's my understanding.) I am not sure how complex xG models are (for example: how many of the complexities of your two examples are taken into account?), but either way, those analysts are coding situations in a database while watching. That means that there is a level of subjectivity and that error is possible. To my knoweldge, companies compensate for those risks by having at least one other analyst re-watch the game afterwards and verify the coding - but so you need to know which company produced the stats (they might have different quality levels), and you either way can't have reliable xG stats until the validation has taken place.

Other than that, xG doesn't record when a situation just failed to become a chance (e.g., the assist for a great tap-in is just off), so apart from issues with xG calculations, it anyway should not be used on its own to determine how a match was played. (Which no serious analysts would ever do of course, but for the public, xG undeservedly has become some sort of shorthand for overall match analysis.)

I'll end my xG rant there. :)
Keep it up - xG on it's own is terrible a terrible stat as are most of all the others :)