United Hour - Super Cup & West Ham Preview

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Guest Host @Alex99 is joined this week by Colm (@Duafc) & Locka (@Alock1) to look back on our Super Cup defeat to Real Madrid. We then turn our gaze to the season head, the impact of our new signings, and how the perspective from 20 years previous says so much about where we are today.

As always, you can listen on the player above or find us on ITunes & any other Podcast apps.

This season, we are also looking to preview each game using the brilliantly realistic, predictive machine learning engine that is FIFA 2017. Below is what we expect to happen this weekend, with Colm taking charge of the Hammers. Will the Northern Irish be forever blowing bubbles?

Podomatic (download): https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/redcastpod/episodes/2017-08-09T15_34_14-07_00
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
Twitter:https://twitter.com/United_Hour

Please do like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter and share, re-tweet etc - all support is much appreciated!

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
At the point where you mention the bet and he put 1500 on both teams to score and the other 500 was on two bets with United winning for 200 I think, not sure of the third bet.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Can I just point out that the Darmian shirt was from when we signed him and not this season's. I'm not completely mad

Alock1

Can I just point out that the Darmian shirt was from when we signed him and not this season's. I'm not completely mad
Oh it was a genuine shirt? I was just talking shit about having a Matic one :lol:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Oh it was a genuine shirt? I was just talking shit about having a Matic one :lol:
I nearly had Schneiderlin so I'm thinking of abandoning names. The two previous were Anderson and Hargreaves in 07/08. Not the best selections.

Inebriated bison

Good work lads, really enjoyed the podcast. Also, I noticed I didn't have to keep adjusting the volume depending who was talking, which was nice.

Keep them coming, the more podcasts the better!

Duafc

Village Lemon
Can I put a claim down to represent United for the fifa re-enactments? :lol:
Ideally we want listeners to be the challenger so we win every week :lol: you're on Xbox aren't you?

Nice work lads. Will be putting this on first thing in the morning. :)
Cheers Langster, let us know what you think.

At the point where you mention the bet and he put 1500 on both teams to score and the other 500 was on two bets with United winning for 200 I think, not sure of the third bet.
Not bad then! Dyou know who it was? Should let them know they're famous.

Gonna listen to this the now. Nice one guys :)
Appreciate it mate!

Good work lads, really enjoyed the podcast. Also, I noticed I didn't have to keep adjusting the volume depending who was talking, which was nice.

Keep them coming, the more podcasts the better!
Magic, we've struggled on the audio side for way too long after James left, and also on the regularity, both hopefully sorted for this season!

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Lads are we putting this on Facebook and Twitter any time soon?

JoaquinJoaquin

Enjoyed the Pod.

Don't really agree with what you are saying about Lingard though, Shocked at the amount of people happy to accept mediocrity these days. Simple fact, he is nowhere near good enough to be starter and is probably just about passable as 3rd or 4th choice #10.

Didn't see the guy who bet that amount of money on the game but I'm a bit like you, I put a few bets on and never win so take a break for a while before I do it again. Rinse and repeat :D.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Enjoyed the Pod.

Don't really agree with what you are saying about Lingard though, Shocked at the amount of people happy to accept mediocrity these days. Simple fact, he is nowhere near good enough to be starter and is probably just about passable as 3rd or 4th choice #10.

Didn't see the guy who bet that amount of money on the game but I'm a bit like you, I put a few bets on and never win so take a break for a while before I do it again. Rinse and repeat :D.
I think I just like him and it skews my view. I don't think he should be or LW, if Martial was playing his best or even close to it there would be no debate... I think even Rashford for all his youthful frustrations is more of a threat. I'd still want us to sign a top class winger too!

I don't think he's that bad though, what he gives is sometimes just very hard to put your finger on! I think he's a very useful squad player that starts too often.

Schmiznurf

Not bad then! Dyou know who it was? Should let them know they're famous.
No, just remember reading the numbers and thought it was a crazy amount to bet. He posted in the betting thread so I can find his name now.

These are the bets he made, he's banned now though, not sure if it's perm or not.

I went for the following:
$500 on Man Utd to win or draw @1.9
$200 on Man Utd to win the UEFA Super Cup @2.5
$1,500 on Both Team To Score @1.63

Schmiznurf

I think I just like him and it skews my view. I don't think he should be or LW, if Martial was playing his best or even close to it there would be no debate... I think even Rashford for all his youthful frustrations is more of a threat. I'd still want us to sign a top class winger too!

I don't think he's that bad though, what he gives is sometimes just very hard to put your finger on! I think he's a very useful squad player that starts too often.
I like Lingard too, I think he puts in a good shift for us and on occasion provides us with some quality moments, he's the sort of player most teams need tbh.

Duafc

Village Lemon
No, just remember reading the numbers and thought it was a crazy amount to bet. He posted in the betting thread so I can find his name now.

These are the bets he made, he's banned now though, not sure if it's perm or not.
:lol: that's who I thought it was but couldn't tag him. @Damien was he banned for being too good at betting?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really good episode this week guys. Both the quality of the audio and also the layout - topic choices this week were great, well done :)

Agree re Matic and thought he would be a solid signing since I hear we were after him. Has been really good for us so far, albeit early doors, but an excellent start nonetheless.

Also agree totally @Duafc that people seem really quick to want to write players off and seem to be more concerned with being right about a player being a flop than actually wanting to see a player contribute to the team and actually improve.

On Sunday I'm actually expecting a decent performance, it was a good point by you guys that a defeat to Madrid might have been a kick up the backside and I think this will help us take Sunday really seriously and go for it. 3-1, Lukaku x 2 and Micki, and Chica with a nostalgic consolation goal :):devil:

On the season, I think we will compete until the end in the league but finish 1st or 2nd. I think we have a very good squad but I would like to see us sign a attacking player to help with our strength in depth, and I think Jose will help us really push on in the league this year. I think also we will get to the quarter finals in the champions league, and additionally win one of the domestic trophies. so:

League - 1st / 2nd
Champions League - QF's
Win one of the FA Cup or League Cup

Again, excellent episode guys @Alex99 , @Duafc and @Alock1 and really enjoying the episodes so far this season. Can't wait for the season to begin :devil::keano:

Side notes: I have the same birthday as LvG so thanks for recording on my bday guys :drool: and I think Tony V is probably the hardest players currently.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
@FultonRed Cheers mate.

Very confident with your predictions there. I think the domestic cups might fall by the way side a bit as we focus elsewhere.

Happy Birthday!

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
@FultonRed Cheers mate.

Very confident with your predictions there. I think the domestic cups might fall by the way side a bit as we focus elsewhere.

Happy Birthday!
No problem mate. Aye maybe a wee bit over confident but when I caught the game on Tuesday just didn't put too much expectation into it as Real Madrid currently are miles better than we are, and I thought at times we actually played decent football. Really expect us to push on this season and certain players to step up. Yeah I think that could happen with the domestic trophies too but I also think Jose is a manager who likes to create a lot of momentum, and I think he sees the cups as a chance to build up ahead of steam for the remainder of the season so I wouldn't be surprised to see us find ourselves in a position to win one.

Cheers mate much appreciated!

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Very good episode.

Choosing Kagawa on my shirt doesn't look too bad now.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
good work mofos - have listened to first part of it so far

and @Alex99 dont get too comfy in that host seat, I'll be back next week!

Green_Red

I feel like Marcelo is the natural successor to Carlos, if there could be such a thing. He is a very strong left back. Could be the best in the world in that position at the minute?

Alock1

If any of our fantastic listeners have a Reddit account and want to give us a boost and post the podcast in the subreddit /reddevils - it'd be greatly appreciated!!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Great to get another United Hour so soon after the last. I think I'm slightly more optimistic than you lads, I reckon we'll win the title this year. As you say things have to fall into place e.g. we need to stop missing 1v1s. However, if we get a little run going and we get the confidence of the players up that could be enough.

Very much agree with what you said about Pogba overplaying in the big games. Seems he gets taken by the occasion and wants to do the spectacular rather than the simple. Imagine he'd have played through Mhki or Jesse on Tuesday night when he could've. Still, I think he will have a good season.

My shout for player of the year is Matic. I think he'll be a beast for us and the platform around which everything else is built. The 'no resale value' lot will be very quiet about him come next May. Mark my words.

I think, against Madrid, what really showed was our lack of truly big game experience. I know we had the Europa League final in May but it was clear some of our players lost their heads. Lukaku chasing Herrera's interception, Rashford tamely hitting it at Navas with his weaker foot. Stage fright affecting decision making. As these youngsters get more experience they'll perform better in these games.

PS) Had Keano not got injured in 1997/98 we'd have won the title.

Ashley R1+O

Missed you guys at the back end of last year, good to have you back. I liked the segment toward the end of nostalgia. To few celebrations about the club on here at the moment and a bit to much moaning going on lately, it was nice to hear some genuine nostalgia and pride in the club.

Red Devil Rising

Enjoy listening to the podcast, one minor gripe and that's maybe the language at times? Personally doesn't affect me but I listen to a lot of podcasts (Guardian football, boxing related stuff etc) and think it will give the Caf one a touch more professionalism if it's kept to a minimum rather than just swearing for swearing sake. Fifa reenactments are a great touch though