United in this Summer transfer window

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's been an embarrassment. We needed to back the manager and get him what he wanted, which was clearly at least 2 CMs.

Making stupid bids which were never going to be enough, letting release clauses expire, being too cheap to pay release clauses and our general attitude of leaving it until the very last second is very amateurish conduct and not what you expect from a club the stature of United.

Ash_G

Really strange stuff so far especially with Herrera. Can only think he was a last minute thought, the clause was there the whole time, not like it expired like Fellaini's. Surely could have made more progress with this as soon as the fabregas thing went down if he was a serious target. Very odd from the club. And the thing about the tax doesn't make sense to me. If it's a tax on the clause couldn't they just pay a bit more and avoid the tax? And if it's VAT related surely its reclaimable anyway.

Nickosaur

Going forward, we need to back Moyes to the hilt. We might be disappointed at how this summer has gone (putting it fecking mildy), but we can't take that frustration out on the staff or coaching staff - it's not their fault.

Woodward and his team, well I don't know what to say. We may need to wait for the smoke to clear to get the facts on what actually happened re: the Herrera deal, but...it's just not on is it? For a club of this size, it's, wait for it, embarrassing, and frankly unacceptable.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Really strange stuff so far especially with Herrera. Can only think he was a last minute thought, the clause was there the whole time, not like it expired like Fellaini's. Surely could have made more progress with this as soon as the fabregas thing went down if he was a serious target. Very odd from the club. And the thing about the tax doesn't make sense to me. If it's a tax on the clause couldn't they just pay a bit more and avoid the tax? And if it's VAT related surely its reclaimable anyway.
Ayee thought the exact same thing, if the 36m clause needs tax at 45% then offer Bilbao 37/38m and avoid the clause, they get more money and we avoid the 45% tax

Eirik Raude

Whatever happens with Fellaini now, this is what we've got out of our summer: Worsened our reputation. Made us look like amateurs. Dragged our good name through the mud. And our position versus the other top clubs is weakened, as they have all managed to reinforce.

And if we get Fellaini for 27 millions: Spent waaaay too much on a player I believe will not be much of an improvement on what we've already got.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I feel for Moyes. Stepping into Sir Alex's shoes was going to be hard enough without all this shit.

The appointment of Woodward has been a disaster.

Robbie Boy

Que the threads that things are actually fecking fantastic and this summer was actually brilliant for us. feck off.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
It's fecking unbelievable.

We spend the first month of Summer chasing Thiago without even putting in a bid, then after he decides do join Bayern we approach Barcelona to take another midfield off of them with an insulting bid about 50% below his realistic value. And we are talking about Fabregas, a player they don't want to sell and a player who doesn't want to leave, as he stated right at the end of July I think.

Any sane club would have given up by then but no, we follow up with a bid that's five fecking million higher and below what they initially paid for him, feck knows what we are expecting there. It gets rejected, we mumble some nonsense and move on to... £28m for Baines and Fellaini. £28m, a price that's £5m higher than what they originally paid for both. Not to mention that we bid the exact same amount for Baines the second time this Summer - why?

4 days before the window expires we finally realise that we might need to get some business done so we make a move for Herrera. He wants to join, he has a release clause that we could pay. What do we do? We offer them less money in spite of the fact that Athletic are never going to accept it. Obviously it gets rejected so we come back with 3 people who can't even sign papers for us on the last day of a transfer window, and then pull out of the deal with an hour left in the window.

And we obviously end up signing who? Fellaini, a player who has been available all along and even had a release clause below what we're likely to end up paying. No pre-season, no settling in with the team for him, why would we do that if we could wait a month and pay £4m more?

Oh, and did I mention that we also managed to approach Roma about a player they never wanted to and basically couldn't sell?
Gotta agree with most of that.

Questions have to be asked, but they won't, we signed Fellaini.

Enigma_87

You know who
I stand corrected then. Ended up paying more for a player that had a release clause 4 days ago...

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Complete shambles all round. Without knowing the specifics of who is in charge of what re: transfers, the situation is pathetic and embarrassing.

I imagine that it is Woodward who has been in charge of this - appointing someone with no experience in this area, for the first summer of Moyes' United career? That is a joke of a decision in itself. For us to then spend the summer throwing fanciful, "try your luck" bids at the hope of picking up a bargain, only to be left paying over the odds for Fellaini right at the deadline.... its just shocking. Frankly I dont actually mind Fellaini and think he could be a good player for us, but the way the transfer has been handled is inexcusable. We could have paid his release clause (less than what we are paying) and been done with it at the start of the window. Wrapping up our transfers early right? Like last year. Get a good preseason, integrate the new players into the squad ready for the start of the season...
Instead we are already three games in to an extremely challenging first five, the last two of which we have looked pretty underwhelming. And NOW we are bringing in our player, who will undoubtedly take time to settle, time which we had a few months ago, but we dont anymore.
Again, had we signed Fellaini as soon as the window opened, I wouldve applauded it. If nothing else it shows a clear direction and a transfer strategy - albeit an unambitious one - and Moyes can come out and say "I wanted Fellaini, we got Fellaini". If he flopped then he flopped but that would be INFINITELY better than the current situation of pushing some botch job of a transfer through at the last minute after several publically failed bids, for a higher price than he was well known to be available for earlier this summer.

I dont even want to go into the Thiago, Fabregas and Herrera transfers. Ludicrous. Utterly ludicrous. And now we might be taking Coentrao on loan? Whoopy shit? A loan signing from Madrid, are you kidding me? In a position which WE DONT EVEN NEED TO STRENGTHEN. We have had the Rooney saga looming large, with Wayne at no point coming out and expressing his desire to stay. We had Jose chomping at the bit to get hold of him whilst they are freezing out a fantastic player like Mata - try to work something out maybe? Especially after Rooney is already alienated with a lot of the fans (I give credit to the matchgoers for cheering him and supporting him, I would have struggled to do that).

Again, I have no idea whether it is Moyes, Woodward or Bob the waterboy who is deciding this transfer policy, but its been a disgrace, and our old friend Didier would say - whoever was in charge of this circus act needs a kick up the ass or better yet, to have spent today typing up their resignation letter for tomorrow, since they obviously havent spent today doing something crazy like, y'know, signing someone.

If Moyes has been shafted by others within the club this window then he needs to go into the board room and really make his feelings known. Hell, I would get on the phone to Fergie who I am sure would have a few choice words to say.

If Moyes has been the one responsible for this shambles, then the only explanation is that he is really trying to put SAFs words to the test and to really anger a fanbase which has for the most part been very supportive of his early tenure and conducted itself pretty well. IF.

At this point I am repeating myself but I could probably go on typing all night thinking of new ways to describe this rocky horror show. The upshot of it is that Fellaini (if we even get him) is quite blatantly a panic/last resort purchase, as that is the only way of explaining it. We said we were going to be in for the best players, meanwile Spurs, Madrid, City and Chelsea have all spent big bucks and even Arsenal look to have signed in a top quality player. We have done nothing and it reeks of misplaced complacency after last seasons success. Part of me thinks the glazers are just trying to see if they can get away with it - they have a successful business model and cash cow, they want to maximise profit by keeping the team at a minimum level of competitiveness without spending any money, whilst all the teams around us domestically and internationally will gradually accelerate ahead, and before we know it we are down to mid table with Liverpool.

/meltdown

Danillaco

Ha. Now the load deal for Coentrao is off too. Real wanted Siqueira, couldn't get him, and backed on the deal with United, after things were done.

27mi for Fellaini, yet 36 for Herrera was way to much. It was an embarrassing summer by the manchild Woodward. Awful and put United`s name to shame.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I will wait to hear what the club has to say.
Firstly Fellani had to hand a transfer request for Everton to let him go. Not sure how this ties in with United not triggering the buyout clause that was lower than what we have paid. I think all this will be explained.
On the Herrera deal it sounds like we were not willing to pay over what the club valued him at. The 3 men apparently had nothing to do with United.
We got Coentrao on loan because we could not get Baines. I don't know much about him. But some saying he can play LB, wing and as a defensive midfielder. If so...great business.

Lets wait to hear from the manager and the club.

With players we kept...Rooney and Nani....we have not weakened the squad.

I think a lot of the hysteria stems from the Liverpool defeat too.

With these signings and players coming back, we will be more creative.

calm down lads.

Ole'sbodyguard

Not usual I slaughter the club but I think today and this summer has been amateur and a farce.

The way United have handled our transfers this summer is beyond bad. It's fecking shambolic. We have gone for people today we have not been linked for all summer such as Contreroa and Khedira. The Fellaini deal was almost botched going off the summary of his medical coming through now and where to start with the Herrara saga.

Moyes has to take some responsibility for this. He identifies the targets and apparently the moves for the Real players have been done on the last fecking day.

Nevertheless, the biggest criticism has to go to Woodward. Until this summer, United have been the definition of professionalism and class in the transfer market. We normally get what we want and we never leave it till a last minute scramble aside from Berba who was not essential. This summer we look completely without a plan and clueless and it's like no one knows what the hell they are doing.

IF it transpires this Herrara deal is bad as it sounds, I personally think Woodward should be sacked. It's unacceptable.

In terms of who we have I'm happy with Fellaini and think that should suffice for half a season where the midfield is concerned. The loan deal is not a bad bit of business but not really anything we needed.

I hope Moyes learns from this.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Is anyone here listening to Talksport? Some purported United fan ahs been trolling two consecutive shows in his meltdown.

"With the exception of Ronaldo the last top class midfielder United bought was Roy Keane in 1993."

Stay safe people, if you must go outside be prepared to defend yourselves.

Devil may care

I never wanted Moyes as manager but I feel really sorry for him at this point, utter fecking shambles from Woodward and co, penny pinching at every turn, no clue on getting things done and dusted, last minute bullshit and all we have to show for it is that fecking horrible lump from Everton, disgrace.

The Neviller

I was prepared to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and wait til the end of the transfer window before passing judgement, but this summer, and today especially, has been pretty shambolic. Herrera looked for all the world an open goal. Buy-out clause, player wants the move, drops his wage demands, agrees terms and somehow we manage to feck it up.

I'm baffled by what has gone on here today. Watching it unfold was like a car crash.

Commadus

Heads won't roll over this as the Glazers man Ed is running the show. He is brilliant at bringing money in but not spending it.

Ed like a typical slimeball businessman was trying to play smart and clever with Everton over Fellainin by bidding stupid low amounts and then bidding for other players. It lacked class and in the end was counter productive as we overpaid for Fellaini and he hasnt had a off season with us.

We lack class in our executive team.

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan
The transfer team at United must be pure bullshit because IMO you are one of the top 5 clubs in the World and seem to struggle getting in big transfers, eg why would Ozil pick Arsenal over United? This is the first bump in the road in the post-Fergie era, but as I said before in another thread, the fans just need to support the manager, and Moyes has to get used to managing a squad as opposed to matching a team.

Brophs

The One and Only
The transfer team at United must be pure bullshit because IMO you are one of the top 5 clubs in the World and seem to struggle getting in big transfers, eg why would Ozil pick Arsenal over United? This is the first bump in the road in the post-Fergie era, but as I said before in another thread, the fans just need to support the manager, and Moyes has to get used to managing a squad as opposed to matching a team.
Off the top of my head, because he didn't have the choice between those two clubs?

SirFergie

I was prepared to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and wait til the end of the transfer window before passing judgement, but this summer, and today especially, has been pretty shambolic. Herrera looked for all the world an open goal. Buy-out clause, player wants the move, drops his wage demands, agrees terms and somehow we manage to feck it up.

I'm baffled by what has gone on here today. Watching it unfold was like a car crash.
Nail on the head. I've never been as angry with the Club before as I am now; how can you feck up what can't be fecked up? Rumours of imposters, people representing the Club not having correct documention, not being able to retrieve the correct documentation and then apparently walking out...does the Club no favours.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I was reading earlier not clubs were in for him, no? If not why in under God were United not in for him!
Moyes turned him down not too long ago is what everyone is saying, because we were keeping Rooney.
Great decision making that, keep Rooney this summer even though he will be looking to leave every transfer window from now until he actually leaves, and let Ozil (arguably best attacking midfielder in the world) go to a potential title rival.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

A lot has already been said but I forgot about this. He agreed to drop his already pretty low wage demands for us so we would agree to pay the release clause! That's incredible and disgraceful from us. I imagine Herrera will be gutted and feel betrayed by United after today.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Total farce from start to finish.

We seemingly don't even know how to sign a player.

Pathetic, mis-guided, undervalue bids.

Lets face it, we already had extremely low clout in the transfer market for a club of our size. This just takes the pis though.

One feckin exciting player. That's all we fecking hoped for from our "unlimited budget".