United issue statement on racial abuse

BenUnited

I love this. Good on the lads to keep being vocal and to try fighting racism. With all the abuse Rashford, Sancho and Sako have recieved i love the fact that our players wont let this slip away and continue to show the world that there are powerful clubs who will keep fighting

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I dread the start of the season actually. In full capacity crowds there will be booing of the knee which is disgusting to witness

Fridge chutney

I dread the start of the season actually. In full capacity crowds there will be booing of the knee which is disgusting to witness
Yes, it is disgraceful. Especially as players and sportsmen of colour continually receive racist abuse.

Some politicians have managed to convince the thick masses that taking the knee is akin to supporting a Marxist cause or some bullshit. They are as much to blame.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Imagine being of such low intelligence and character that your first thought of how to abuse or attack someone is to use something that is beyond their control....their fecking skin pigment. We are a horrible species.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Excellent. Apart from the important stuff, it will also piss of f@ckwit Faridge, his mini-me Darren Grimes and countless other tossers

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Genuine question: does anyone know if the non-kneeling teams that have black players in their ranks made a decision after communication with the players?

Acole9

Outstanding
Great to see they'll be carrying on. It'll wind all the gammon up too which is a bonus.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Great to see they'll be carrying on. It'll wind all the gammon up too which is a bonus.
I think it would be best to avoid all terms that are based on color and this is one.

lsd

The Oracle
The problem is you cannot stop kneeling now as it will seem you are giving into those who boo it.

So you have keep doing this and those against it will get more riled up and complain more and it's just hard to see any way out as sadly this is not going to stop people being racist.

RaptorSlo

Imagine being of such low intelligence and character that your first thought of how to abuse or attack someone is to use something that is beyond their control....their fecking skin pigment. We are a horrible species.
But low intelligence is also something out of a person's control. So why are YOU attacking them for something out of their control?

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I thought it came from Dickens?
Dickens? You will have to help me out with that.

Online it says this: "Gammon (definition), predominantly directed towards white males but, can be directed to most caucasians. This is because when white people are being flustered/angry, they become pink in hue (color) on their face, similar to a gammon."

It certainly isn't a compliment and my point remains: it is best kept out of discussions on race, otherwise it ends up being an argument along the lines of, "...if its ok to say this, then it should be ok to say that..." which isn't helping.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Dickens? You will have to help me out with that.

Online it says this: "Gammon (definition), predominantly directed towards white males but, can be directed to most caucasians. This is because when white people are being flustered/angry, they become pink in hue (color) on their face, similar to a gammon."

It certainly isn't a compliment and my point remains: it is best kept out of discussions on race, otherwise it ends up being an argument along the lines of, "...if its ok to say this, then it should be ok to say that..." which isn't helping.
In 1838, Charles Dickens used the word in his 1838 novel, Nicholas Nickleby:[24]
The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.[25]

-from Wikipedia

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
The problem is you cannot stop kneeling now as it will seem you are giving into those who boo it.

So you have keep doing this and those against it will get more riled up and complain more and it's just hard to see any way out as sadly this is not going to stop people being racist.
This is the crux of the matter.

On the day the players reaffirmed their commitment to this gesture, it was debated on Talksport. When I say debated it went something like this:

Caller - “The problem with taking-the-knee is that for some people it is intrinsically linked with Colin Kaepernick kneeling in the NFL (which some people say was unpatriotic) AND other people can’t stop thinking of its links to the political BLM move…..

Before they finished the Host (I don’t know their name) cut them off with:

Host - “…but the players themselves and Gareth Southgate (in the summer) have repeatedly said, it has nothing to do with that”.

Caller - “…but some people still think it does…”

Host - “…but the players have said it doesn't….”.

End of call

Next caller - “… the problem with the players kneeling is that some people see it as being linked to the BLM move….”

Before they finished the Host cut them off with:

Host: - “…but the players have been quite clear, it has nothing to do with that, it means they stand up against racism and discrimination everywhere…”

Caller - “..yes, but some people still see it as being linked to the BLM movement….”

Host - “…. but the players have said it doesn't.”

Next caller: same bloody conversation.

It was like groundhog day.

And the problem is, the people calling in would not be swayed from their view, whatever was said. My view is that if the players have made the decision and have told us why, that should be respected.

However, the abuse of the three players who missed penalties in the Euro final on the 11th July and the booing earlier in that competition, must not be overlooked. I think that has angered ALL the players so much they have made this decision (to continue kneeling) partly as it sticks two fingers up to the bigots and the racists who disrespected them and their colleagues, so much. This is totally understandable, but in the long-term does it not risk perpetuating division, when the actual goal is to promote the opposite of that?

Last edited:

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
In 1838, Charles Dickens used the word in his 1838 novel, Nicholas Nickleby:[24]
The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.[25]

-from Wikipedia
Thank you, I didn't know that.

In Bleak House, Two of Mrs. Flite's birds were called 'gammon and spinach.'
Thanks - I learn something new, everyday.

RaptorSlo

No its not. They can get themselves educated. You cant make yourself not black or not white.
You can learn about stuff and stop being ignorant about that matter, but that won't change your natural intelligence, which is your ability to learn stuff.

RC89

Call me cynical but this will never, ever be stopped. But we also never stop fighting the good fight.
I'm inclined to agree. It won't be stopped outright but we can certainly continue in trying to eliminate it as much as possible to the point the racists will think twice before acting on their racism.