United issue statement on racial abuse

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I actually feel quite similar. I know it's a select few but I feel it makes Manchester United a difficult club to follow right now.
Do you think any other club are any better? Every single club has a portion of dickhead fans. It’s just got worse with social media platforms giving them somewhere to spread their hate speak. I dare say a good portion of them are immature kids too. I am in agreement that there should be verification

El Jefe

I'm not sure if releasing a statement after every occurrence of online racism is beneficial especially if its a faceless troll on the internet.

I would much prefer reporting the account and banning them and working with the police and social media companies to identify these people in real life so they can be charged. I think it makes more sense to identify the idiots then report or issue statements after they've been charged.

Make no mistake about it, the next time Martial plays badly, it will happen again. We know United are strongly against racism, but I fear weekly statements will do more harm than good if anything.

The social media companies are the ones that need to be held accountable to be honest. People feel comfortable hurling this abuse because they know they can get away with it

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Do you think any other club are any better? Every single club has a portion of dickhead fans. It’s just got worse with social media platforms giving them somewhere to spread their hate speak.
anecdotal, but a liverpool fan on reddit said that r/reddevils was much more toxic compared to their subreddit after a loss.

Holocene

anecdotal, but a liverpool fan on reddit said that r/reddevils was much more toxic compared to their subreddit after a loss.
I don't think it's that comparable when you consider how much success Liverpool have had the past couple of seasons. It's always going to be a more positive atmosphere. Give them a few seasons of mediocrity and it'll be as toxic as any.

For what it's worth, I find r/reddevils to be overly positive. Most posts criticising Ole get downvoted. As reactionary as the Caf' can be at times, I find it to be much more objective as a whole.

Anyway, I'm going off topic.

Ludens the Red

I'm not sure if releasing a statement after every occurrence of online racism is beneficial especially if its a faceless troll on the internet.

I would much prefer reporting the account and banning them and working with the police and social media companies to identify these people in real life so they can be charged. I think it makes more sense to identify the idiots then report or issue statements after they've been charged.

Make no mistake about it, the next time Martial plays badly, it will happen again. We know United are strongly against racism, but I fear weekly statements will do more harm than good if anything.

The social media companies are the ones that need to be held accountable to be honest. People feel comfortable hurling this abuse because they know they can get away with it
I cannot emphasise how much a pain in the arse this is to investigate and prosecute. Speaking from experience having unfortunately dealt with a lot of Instagram/Facebook related abuse/threats. The data protection laws and the lack of communication from these social media companies is disgraceful. To get the information you require there needs to be a significant threshold met for police to even request this information and unless we’re talking genuine threats of life etc getting the approval is near enough impossible.
Even if you then do, Instagram and Facebook take an absolute eternity to provide you with said requested information unless you’re able to prove that by not getting it in a suitable time, said victim is in ‘danger’.

You’ve then got your statutory time limit of six months which is applicable for the majority of these malicious communication offences. This means by time you get certain information you can’t even charge people because too much time has passed.
Like I see a lot of people saying this and that needs to be done by the authorities , social media companies etc.
Nothing will change significantly until there’s a change in the actual law both criminally and for data protection.

Like Instagram are coming out now and saying they’ll do more which yes is good but they’ll need the law to support them too. These are high profile footballers so it’s easier to appear to be trying to do something now but online abuse is affecting so many on a lesser public scale too, what are you going to do about them? Ive reported cases of accounts posting people’s addresses online, sending out racist abuse, talking about ongoing court cases and the accounts still remain weeks later.

BootsyCollins

If social media platforms starts with passport control or similar when starting an account, how many users do you think they would loose?

Sadly, they would loose money and ads of they did. Are they willing to do that for the fight against racism and discrimination?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If social media platforms starts with passport control or similar when starting an account, how many users do you think they would loose?

Sadly, they would loose money and ads of they did. Are they willing to do that for the fight against racism and discrimination?
No they would never accept that and the thing is they would never say it's about money either, they would use the "right for privacy" as an excuse too. Between racism and money, the choice is easily made.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The people making the posts need to be held accountable and punished so they know that such bigotry and hatred will not be tolerated, but the social media platforms need to be batting for the right team in the first instance, and it doesn't appear that they are.

I don't see much of the abuse myself as I tend to avoid football related social media as much as possible, but I saw a comment on a post on Facebook yesterday evening from what appeared to be an angry United fan, writing about Martial which included the N word in a very derogatory manner. I reported it, and I got a message back within the hour saying it doesn't go against their community standards. I'm assuming a bot scans over the first reports, as there's an option to follow it up and suggest they've got it wrong, so I did that. I got another message this morning saying they've reviewed it again and it still doesn't go against their community standards.

The post appears to be gone now, but I highly doubt it was Facebook that took that action.

manuchamp88

The people making the posts need to be held accountable and punished so they know that such bigotry and hatred will not be tolerated, but the social media platforms need to be batting for the right team in the first instance, and it doesn't appear that they are.
You mean the players "taking the knee" before every game doesn't make a difference? Well, that's odd.

The people making the comments will carry on doing it because they know the worst that can happen to them is a banned social media account, in which case, they'll just create another. No police action will be taken because the vast majority of these fans are foreign and are probably from countries where they know this sort of thing won't result in any criminal charge. But of course they know this and they also know that British fans will pick up the flack by default so it's a win-win for them.

GioF

The people who are caught and clearly posting hateful and racist material should be fined heavily or jailed. The jailing would be unrealistic due to the state of the prison system but a £10000 fine or something worth a considerable amount would stop these bastards doing what they do. A banned social media account does nothing. Imagine getting slapped with a £10k fine for posting racist abuse....would like to think they’d think twice then.

Obviously the bigger question is why they feel they need to attack someone and use their skin colour or religion as a tool. But that needs systematic change and can’t be done easily.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't think it's that comparable when you consider how much success Liverpool have had the past couple of seasons. It's always going to be a more positive atmosphere. Give them a few seasons of mediocrity and it'll be as toxic as any.

For what it's worth, I find r/reddevils to be overly positive. Most posts criticising Ole get downvoted. As reactionary as the Caf' can be at times, I find it to be much more objective as a whole.

Anyway, I'm going off topic.
When Liverpool were the top team in the 80s, it didn’t stop a portion of their fans making monkey noises at Barnes and Mark Walters.
Everton fans threw bananas at them too.
so this is why I say that it’s an ingrained issue within the football community - walking away from United to support a ‘nicer’ club isn’t possible

MAME DIOUF 32

I don't think it will ever stop because it's just people who are setting out to offend someone who they don't see as a real human. In their day to day lives most of them probably have black colleagues, maybe black friends, but if they want to get under a player's skin then racial abuse will usually do it. Social media companies should do a lot more to stop it. There are words that should immediately trigger a human review before being posted, for example. Mandatory ID verification is an absolutely terrible idea, mostly pitched by column writers who are paid to express their idiotic opinions while for many of the rest of us expressing any kind of political opinion threatens our jobs.

Cloud7

I cannot emphasise how much a pain in the arse this is to investigate and prosecute. Speaking from experience having unfortunately dealt with a lot of Instagram/Facebook related abuse/threats. The data protection laws and the lack of communication from these social media companies is disgraceful. To get the information you require there needs to be a significant threshold met for police to even request this information and unless we’re talking genuine threats of life etc getting the approval is near enough impossible.
Even if you then do, Instagram and Facebook take an absolute eternity to provide you with said requested information unless you’re able to prove that by not getting it in a suitable time, said victim is in ‘danger’.

You’ve then got your statutory time limit of six months which is applicable for the majority of these malicious communication offences. This means by time you get certain information you can’t even charge people because too much time has passed.
Like I see a lot of people saying this and that needs to be done by the authorities , social media companies etc.
Nothing will change significantly until there’s a change in the actual law both criminally and for data protection.

Like Instagram are coming out now and saying they’ll do more which yes is good but they’ll need the law to support them too. These are high profile footballers so it’s easier to appear to be trying to do something now but online abuse is affecting so many on a lesser public scale too, what are you going to do about them? Ive reported cases of accounts posting people’s addresses online, sending out racist abuse, talking about ongoing court cases and the accounts still remain weeks later.
Sounds like a lot of the issue comes from the end of the social media company

lex talionis

Are there really so many racists out there that social media giants would lose a fortune if they banned these disgusting morons?

peanuthead

I feel sorry for Martial tbh, its clear he's being targeted, possibly by some of our fans too. Sad part is two of his teammates were bad and were at fault for the goal and nearly conceding a second but yet he gets abuse, sad to see the treatment this brother gets from his own fans.

People acting like this kinda treatment only happens on social media, but this forum sometimes reminds me of a certain chan site and Twitter in the same breath, Just have a look at the Pogba, Martial and Rashford threads and some of the stuff being said isn't probably outright racism but its subtle enough to see the way they treat the brothas on this team. If you say anything percieved as negative to the LGBTQ community or sexist, you'll be reported and the knives will be out for you. Double standard.

Main Road

Supports
man city
Even as a city fan I wonder if they are actually United fans in the traditional sense or just plain vile idiots.

one of the pitfalls of being one of the biggest clubs in the world..so many more plebs follow your club and you can’t do anything about it

hmchan

This. I haven't looked deeply into the incident, but is the scale big enough that the club has to release a statement and make a big fuss about it? There are always morons racially abusing players on the Internet regardless their performances, is the club prepared to respond to every single one of them?

Players receive all kinds of abuses day in day out. A few days ago, Leno revealed that he was told to "do it like Enke" on social media. To me it's equally offensive and intolerable to racism, yet you don't see people on moral high ground speak out about this.

As far as I'm concerned, the vast majority of criticisms against Martial are rational and reasonable. Overreacting to individual nonsense abuse just makes me feel that they're trying to spin the topic and gain sympathy for the player with a convenient excuse.

Jackal981

Pathetic. You can see from my post I am critical of some players but the racial abuse is unwarranted. Bunch of lowlife

hmchan

Inappropriate Behavior
It'll be more and more common we see black players bringing up the racism issue when they have a poor game. Wonder if the club would issue another statement though.

Mainoldo

It'll be more and more common we see black players bringing up the racism issue when they have a poor game. Wonder if the club would issue another statement though.
Care to explain your self. Take your time with it.

hmchan

Inappropriate Behavior
#257 is self-explanatory and I have no further comment (and I don't want to provide an excuse for further punishment). Feel free to exchange views via private message or we'll have to agree to disagree on this matter.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm going to assume that you post this without knowing that those players are being racial abused in the social media everytime they didn't perform. Big lesson for you, read and understand what you want to talk about first before posting. Clueless post will only bite you off at the end.

RashyForPM

What about the part where they are genuinely racially abused, which you can see first hand when you scroll through their Instagram comments?

Now this is racist.

0le

I would guess that a large number of people who make these vile sort of comments are probably not using things like VPN's and could easily be tracked. Companies such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube that have access to vast resources should be doing more to clamp down on these things.

A part of me also wonders whether we have reached a point where ID should be required to use social media.

Sylar

I would guess that a large number of people who make these vile sort of comments are probably not using things like VPN's and could easily be tracked. Companies such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube that have access to vast resources should be doing more to clamp down on these things.

A part of me also wonders whether we have reached a point where ID should be required to use social media.
It's used on betting sites, it could easily be implemented and the companies can then hold those who are racist accountable

It seems like they don't want to go through that fuss for some reason
I mean Instagram I believe were the ones who said they don't find monkey emojis being sent to Black players offensive

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
#257 is self-explanatory and I have no further comment (and I don't want to provide an excuse for further punishment). Feel free to exchange views via private message or we'll have to agree to disagree on this matter.
I think that was further comment doubling down on the initial comment.

OL29

Poster has been warned about minimising racism.
With all due respect, that poster is a habitual line crosser when it comes to racism (he’s not the only one) and this is by no means the first time he’s made questionable comments and it won’t be the last, so it’s a bit disappointing to see that a warning is considered adequate. We all complain soft punishments from UEFA, seems like redcafe is just as tolerant towards racists these days.

Pagh Wraith

That would be awful. Why would you give these companies more data? Facebook is the only social media I've ever used but there was no way I was going to use my real name on there even 10 years ago when I set it up. The solution to this is obviously to kill all social media with fire and enjoy a new chapter in humanity.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Social media is a cesspit. The world is full of cnuts and now they have a voice.
Ban one,ten, 100 racists and there will be an endless stream of cnuts to take the mantle.

Players need to get off social media. Its the only way to protect themselves from the abuse.
The companies won't do a tap.

Its a sad state of affairs but this is the world we live in. Too many hypocritical thick feckers with mobile phones

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
That would be awful. Why would you give these companies more data? Facebook is the only social media I've ever used but there was no way I was going to use my real name on there even 10 years ago when I set it up. The solution to this is obviously to kill all social media with fire and enjoy a new chapter in humanity.
Kill it with Fire.
YES. I'm in.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Social media is a cesspit. The world is full of cnuts and now they have a voice.
Ban one,ten, 100 racists and there will be an endless stream of cnuts to take the mantle.

Players need to get off social media. Its the only way to protect themselves from the abuse.
The companies won't do a tap.

Its a sad state of affairs but this is the world we live in. Too many hypocritical thick feckers with mobile phones
I’m very sad to say that this may be the only solution at present, because the powers that be are doing next to nothing.

If I was a player, I simply wouldn’t be on social media in any personal capacity. It’s a shame, because at its best, it is a great way for normal fans to have a direct connection. And in an ideal world, a black player should not have to restrict themselves from doing something that a white colleague does freely for fear of racist abuse.

But in reality, there’s just too many morons and mouth breathers out there and not enough punishment and protection. People have to understand that it’s very hard to deal with this kind of hatred mentally.