United issue statement on racial abuse

Tom Van Persie

No relation
#257 is self-explanatory and I have no further comment (and I don't want to provide an excuse for further punishment). Feel free to exchange views via private message or we'll have to agree to disagree on this matter.
How the feck are you not banned? Nobody wants to exchange private messages with a racist.

AFC NimbleThumb

Nothing like abit of RaceCaf in the morning.

Anyone ready to admit this place has its unsavoury element yet or is that hm guy just an anomaly that seems to rear its head whenever the topic arises.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
With all due respect, that poster is a habitual line crosser when it comes to racism (he’s not the only one) and this is by no means the first time he’s made questionable comments and it won’t be the last, so it’s a bit disappointing to see that a warning is considered adequate. We all complain soft punishments from UEFA, seems like redcafe is just as tolerant towards racists these days.
We can only go based on what we see. If he's a habitual line crosser then report each post you see. There are hundreds of regular posters on this site and we cannot keep track of them all.

If there are repeat offenders then yes we start to take notice but we need your help, so report when you see it. We are volunteers who mainly try to do this whilst working our real life jobs. Unfortunately we do not have the all seeing eye of UEFA.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Anyone ready to admit this place has its unsavoury element yet or is that hm guy just an anomaly that seems to rear its head whenever the topic arises.
Use the report function please. I'm happy to look at anything you want to pm me directly as well.

big rons sovereign

I don't think anybody can deny there's an unsavoury element. In an ideal world dickheadish behaviour would be a thing of the past.
But, it's not an ideal world and dickheads are in abundance. Most noticeably on social media.

But the idea that players would use claims of racism to deflect a bad game baffles me, and that there's black people replying to Freds tweet with that shit just blows my mind.

I got banned from Twitter for calling Boris a cnut yet these bullshit peddlars like farage etc seem to be left unchecked. The world's got it's priorities all wrong.

Edit.
I don't know if those people are actually black, or just arseholes claiming to.be on twitter. Whether they are or not, I dunno what's worse.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Racism is a massive problem in our fanbase. Absolutely huge. It’s literally everywhere. Go watch United at OT, or a pub in the city. If Pogba & Martial in particular are having a bad game, you just know racism is coming.

AFC NimbleThumb

Racism is a massive problem in our fanbase. Absolutely huge. It’s literally everywhere. Go watch United at OT, or a pub in the city. If Pogba & Martial in particular are having a bad game, you just know racism is coming.
Please don’t do this again.

Last time you went down this road, you apologised in the face of posters who told you that your truth was wrong.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Racism is useful for politics. Systemic racism is about the power elite grabbing more power. So that's a problem and why I personally feel we get led more and more by the nose and the internet basically. Unfortunately, not everyone is ethical. So what can people do? The whole point is to get a reaction. Real or otherwise. We know this. When you highlight something, it will happen more and more. It will NOT stop it. You don't keep talking about abuse to stop it. Now they want ID's linked to social media. How do you achieve this? Who are the problem? The problem are the scum out their who use tragedy and abuse to get what THEY want. A bit of a leap but has taking a knee achieved it's objective? No. Not if it's to stop racism happening and it will never change irrationality but it will take more and more of your freedoms away. Is that the objective?....

If you look at what's taught in colleges....social justice etc....it's no shock but people have agendas and we have to be mindful of this fact and really what it comes down to is how you interpret information. Discernment. Because there are those who want to do your thinking for you.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
With all due respect, that poster is a habitual line crosser when it comes to racism (he’s not the only one) and this is by no means the first time he’s made questionable comments and it won’t be the last, so it’s a bit disappointing to see that a warning is considered adequate. We all complain soft punishments from UEFA, seems like redcafe is just as tolerant towards racists these days.
With all due respect you don't get to moderate this forum.

Spot something you think worth of reporting and it will be dealt with as it has with this post/poster. We are getting a bit sick of posters who post hoc complain about moderating but never report anything.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I’m very sad to say that this may be the only solution at present, because the powers that be are doing next to nothing.

If I was a player, I simply wouldn’t be on social media in any personal capacity. It’s a shame, because at its best, it is a great way for normal fans to have a direct connection. And in an ideal world, a black player should not have to restrict themselves from doing something that a white colleague does freely for fear of racist abuse.

But in reality, there’s just too many morons and mouth breathers out there and not enough punishment and protection. People have to understand that it’s very hard to deal with this kind of hatred mentally.
I dont think its a direct connection at all and there is more than racist abuse to consider. White players get slaughtered too for all sorts.
Its common knowledge that heroin is a dirty drug and it kills therefore the majority dont go anywhere near it.
It should also be common knowledge at this point that if you have a social media profile as a famous person you are going to get abuse. Its not right but thats the way it is, so why would you put yourself out there when you know its a cesspool of ignorance and bigotry?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think it's weird tweeting at players after a game.
If you feel the need to racially abuse, then you're a scumbag.
It is always depressing opening these threads. A lot of people on this forum are borderline racists or simply don't care.

AFC NimbleThumb

Spot something you think worth of reporting and it will be dealt with as it has with this post/poster. We are getting a bit sick of posters who post hoc complain about moderating but never report anything.
Fair point.

I always thought Mods would be assigned sub-forums & would do abit of an oversee.

I was a mod on a forum years ago, nowhere near as big as this & posting became secondary to moderating in the end so I’ve always worked on the assumption most threads have at least half an eye on them.

With a subject like this it’s a difficult job to moderate though so I don’t envy you.
Use the report function please. I'm happy to look at anything you want to pm me directly as well.
Will do going forward but I’m abit uneasy to start inputting on what the forum looks like in that way.

Grande

I have a lot of respect for the job of moderating a forum such as this, and I have a lot of respect for trying to stand up against the linetreading racism of today. There is a scholl bred forth by internet racists and politicians on how to express racism unchecqued by continually treading the lin with clear racist intent.

I believe it’s equally important that incidencea are reported by such as myself, even if they are not clearly over the line, as it is that mods try to be proactive in connecting the dots when it comes to repeat ‘nearly-offenders’.

As for me, I don’t like ‘telling on people’ as opposed to discussing openly with, them, so I report too little - unfortunately this is exactly what the linetreading racist is counting on. As a mod, it’s important to defend the possibility to discuss openly and use clear guidelines for what will be worthy of local censorship. Unfortunately, this also exactly what the linetreading racist bases his/her work on. I think it’s important to repeated indirect championing/defending of racism is targeted by mods and posters alike and together, and that we have a common interest in this.

Sylar

Membership on their platforms will plummet, advertising will fall. That's the only reason.
I'd love to know the difference it would make for these companies on taking a stand against racism, and other forms of abuse through accountability vs not doing it (eg ID confirmation) and the difference in revenue

It's crazy but yeah you're right, money has to be the reason

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Being racist has been totally normalised these days.
Political leaders who use xenophobic stories to push agendas through all have a huge part to play in the resurgence of the levels or racism in the world.
In the 80s racism was rife, somewhat subdued in the 90s and early noughties but has now blown up again with the emergence and reliance on social media. When we have papers like the daily mail express sun all sensationalising stories regarding people of colour, its no wonder racism has blown up.

Football is just an avenue for these racist to promote their ideas. Calling someone a racist term on social media hiding behind a keyboard is easy because there is no comeback to the abuser.

Take the case of the boy who abused Ian Wright, he got taken to court and the judge gave him a slap on the wrists. What deterrent is there if you get away with being an abuser?

Glen Kamara was racially abused by a fellow professional on the pitch not two weeks and do you think he will get punished? No because people will just say Kamara cant prove it, as the boy had his mouth covered at the time so he will escape any serious punishment as UEFA will at most hand him a fine and that will be the end of the matter.

My personal opinion, the players affected by the abuse (black, white, brown, yellow etc) should all delete their social media accounts together kind of like a mass walk out on social media, hit the social media platforms where it hurts and they will change their tune in dealing with the abusers

Cloud7

We have more than a few closet racists on here who toe the line and get away with it by never saying anything directly inflammatory but if you read their posts properly, you understand what they’re trying to get at, and especially if you follow the trend of their posts.

hobbers

Football clubs and footballers, and maybe going beyond that to other sports, all staging a mass walkout from social media, that would push the social media companies to buck up pretty damn quickly.

Sadly that will never happen either. Just as social media companies are lax in acting because they prioritise money, football clubs care too much about the size of their following on social media to ever even contemplate walking away from it, and exactly the same goes for players who see building their profile on socials as an easy ticket to maintaining a high income after they retire.

Stevondo8

The only way social media will act is if a bloc of countries to enforce a law with fines similar to that of GDPR. They’ll never act of their own volition as it’s against their interests.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
That would be awful. Why would you give these companies more data? Facebook is the only social media I've ever used but there was no way I was going to use my real name on there even 10 years ago when I set it up. The solution to this is obviously to kill all social media with fire and enjoy a new chapter in humanity.
I like this solution

AFC NimbleThumb

We have more than a few closet racists on here who toe the line and get away with it by never saying anything directly inflammatory but if you read their posts properly, you understand what they’re trying to get at, and especially if you follow the trend of their posts.
The biggest issues aren’t even the hm characters, they’re rather easy to spot it’s the posters that refuse to acknowledge anything as racism if it doesn’t have a slur attached to it - I’ve repeated it a few times but the treatment of @Schmeichel's Cartwheel when he gave his first hand testimony of racism in/around OT was genuinely saddening - being accused of baiting by multiple forum members whilst others will have seen those posts and moved on is hardly progressive.

It’s also a tad confusing when a poster is told they ‘don’t get to moderate the forum’ in one breath but asked to report other members.

The forum, for me, lacks consistency in what it deems a violation - it’s hard to know what is unacceptable.

Andersonson

Bruh, you ever been OT? There is plenty of racism in there. I’ve literally heard Pogba be called a “fecking dumb n****r” right in front of me.
I hope someone knocked that guy out. I've been at OT many many times and I've heard it too, and I went along with it. I think maybe 40.000 went along with it. It was the Ji-Sung Park-song. It was fine in 2007 ish. Nobody cared or even thought it was racist. It was and still is.

We learn in time and hopefully we all can learn fast in this matter and move on and be nice with each other

432JuanMata

What is wrong with some people ? Just be normal and call the player shit after a bad performance like the rest of us

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That would be awful. Why would you give these companies more data? Facebook is the only social media I've ever used but there was no way I was going to use my real name on there even 10 years ago when I set it up. The solution to this is obviously to kill all social media with fire and enjoy a new chapter in humanity.
It could potentially keep a large swath of mental deficients off of social media. Can’t see that not being a win.

A break from social media for the world’s population would be nice.

432JuanMata

It could potentially keep a large swath of mental deficients off of social media. Can’t see that not being a win.

A break from social media for the world’s population would be nice.
Social media has its bad but also has its good. There might be idiots that racially abuse but it also brings awareness to loads of issues like mental health, racism(in good way) charity’s loads of benefits to social media unfortunately with the good comes the bad

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Social media has its bad but also has its good. There might be idiots that racially abuse but it also brings awareness to loads of issues like mental health, racism(in good way) charity’s loads of benefits to social media unfortunately with the good comes the bad
On balance, has it been better our worse for society? I think better, but it is trending downwards at a rather precipitous slope. I would rather not continue on the current trajectory. It can always return in a different version, shit’s always cyclical.

Having people register their names for social media would be a brilliant move to eliminate the portion of social media users who harm their lives through poor posting as well as those that know themselves well enough to not use something that will harm them in the future. Not to mention the intentional & aggressive ignorance being bandied about.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Rashford got racially abused again last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57263805

Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford said he received "at least 70 racial slurs" on social media following Wednesday's Europa League final loss to Villarreal.

United later tweeted to say their players had been subjected to "disgraceful racist abuse".
United side lost 11-10 on penalties after a 1-1 draw in Gdansk, Poland.

"At least 70 racial slurs on my social accounts counted so far," Rashford wrote on Twitter.

"For those working to make me feel any worse than I already do, good luck trying."

In another tweet, Rashford said he was "more outraged" that one of the abusers who sent him a direct message appeared to be a maths teacher, adding: "He teaches children. And knows that he can freely racially abuse without consequence."

A maths teacher!?

So sick of this shit.