United player of the season

Who is United's player of the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JustJackTheLad

1 - Tony V. Had a brilliant season, looked so sharp & switched on in defensive and attacking duties
2 - Zlatan. Can't deny his goals & style of play. True goalscorer
3 - Ander Hererra. Hard one to choose a 3rd place player.. Could of give it to Mata or Rojo in my eyes. Hererra is just so calm & i'm probably a bit swayed just by the Chelsea masterclass the other day.

How good does it feel to vote without even thinking about De Gea. Finally!

Reactions: top1whoisman

davidmichael

As important as Zlatan has been this season I think the most consistent player over the whole season has been Valencia and he's been even more indispensable than Zlatan, I know it hasn't happened every game but Sunday against Chelsea was arguably our best performance of the season and Zlatan played the last 10 or whatever minutes when the game was pretty much won which shows what we can do without him whereas without Valencia we look very lacking.

GazTheLegend

It's a bit of a strange one really as I feel like if we didn't have Zlatan this season we'd either be Mid table or champions based on how the team worked without him vs Chelsea.

The whole Jose system is geared to make Zlatan look good - he's a sole striker with the likes of Pogba, Martial, Mikhatryan and Herrera industriously working to make clear cut chances for him. Chances which he has not taken enough of, for him to be player of the season. He's still done well though and much better than Rooney of seasons gone by I spose.

So I went for Valencia. He's been Irwin-Like in terms of consistency.

Havak

Pokemon master
It's got to be Zlatan, but Valencia has been incredibly consistent (and consistently above average to great) all season. Zlatan has had a good few more stinkers than Tony, but when he's come up with the goods so often, he's the only choice for sure.

SirScholes

It's got to be Zlatan, but Valencia has been incredibly consistent (and consistently above average to great) all season. Zlatan has had a good few more stinkers than Tony, but when he's come up with the goods so often, he's the only choice for sure.
Brain says Zlatan heart says Tony V?

Redlyn

Tony V for me. Zlatan has been great but also frustrating for me, while Tony just been Mr reliable all season.

Seanus

Went for Zlatan, purely on the impact and his charisma, the like of which has been missing for some time. If it was favourite plyaer it would be Herrera-and taht is not based on game v Chelsea-he gets what it is to play for Utd-and I think that is something that is spreading now, DDG, TV, Rojo, Bailly, Pogba, Lingard and Rashford along with Ashley Young are others-also think Felaini is showing his desire to stay around.

Rockets Redglare

Personally I'd go with Zlatan closely followed by Valencia then Herrera a bit further back.
I wouldn't begrudge any of those three getting it though, and would actually like to see Valencia vindicated after the amount of shit he's got off our fans these last few years.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It does when you consider every striker misses chances and loses the ball from time to time.
He has carried us at times
It does not if you want to be the best player of the season, the top goalscorer or fight for the title. Yes, in some games he carried us, in some games he missed easy chances

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
All things considered: Zlatan
Most consistent: Tony V/Herrera
Most improved: Rojo

All four been impressive in their own right. And I'm glad DDG isn't a major part of the discussion this year.

Robertd0803

Will take a lot for anyone in the next few games to dislodge Zlatan overall to be honest.

May 25th the answer will be whoever scored the winner in the Europa League final for us hopefully.

SirScholes

It does not if you want to be the best player of the season, the top goalscorer or fight for the title. Yes, in some games he carried us, in some games he missed easy chances
That's ridiculous, last couple seasons De Gea made save after save and was out POTY but he to made a couple mistake during those seasons that cost us points, by your logic he shouldn't of won.

Every single player has a poor game, if we didn't have Zlatan we'd of been goosed this year

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Herrera or Zlatan, followed by Valencia and Mata. Then maybe Rojo or Bailly.

manutddjw

Zlatan. He's carried the burden of our attack without help from his supporting cast. The last time we won the title RVP had a season like Zlatan had but he also had Hernandez and Rooney hit double figures and even Kagawa pitched in with 6. If Rashford, Martial and Mkhitarayan played to anywhere near their level we'd be challenging for the title.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
1. Valencia
2. Zlatan
3. Bailly

as of now. There's still like 10 games to go though. Places of first two can switch and Herrera, Pogba and Rojo have a chance for third.

*Rojo gets the most improved player award.
Bailly hasn't even been your best CB this season.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
Definitely not all the "18" chances people are copying everywhere are missed in games that we lost points in. He missed chances in other games that we won so that stats is just not accurate nor this sentence is.

The second thing is in almost every game we lost points and Zlatan missed chances, his teammates also missed a lot of chances but only one player is hammered for his chances but no one else so can you explain why ??
Because; he is our main striker, meaning he's required to score because that is HIS job, and we play in a fashion which is dictated to set him up.
If martial or rashford misses a chance, it still means the same thing, but we are less reliant on them than we are on Zlatan.

I'm not claiming he doesn't deserve player of the season, my point is that it is absolutely ludicrouis to brand someone a hipster, because they feel Antonio Valencia, a man who has hardly put a foot wrong all season, and has done his job with efficiency and superbly, cannot be mentioned in the same breath of Zlatan.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
Yes, "easily". For all Valencia's performances this season how many goals, assists and motms does he actually have?

He's been very good, but has he actually influenced the results of football matches often enough? I think you know that the answer is no.
Are you asking to compare the Assists and Goals of a Striker to a RB?
I could easily ask how many tackles, blocks, clearances, and passes Zlatan has? Ridciculous question.
Also, this is a silly school boy look on defenders that need to change; defenders influence games just as much as strikers, if you are winning you battles all game long and keep a clean sheet as a defender, how is that any less than a striker scoring a goal?

Ok, to take another angle on it, answer me this; who would we have missed the most had they not played this season?
If we are talking goals, then Zlatan obviously. But this is a hypothetical question, in which we would probably assume someone else would have scored the bulk of our goals, or someone else would have been bought in place of Zlatan, we have lots of players that can play Valencias position, but don't because he's undroppable when fit, we don't have many players who can play as a striker with Zlatans experience, as seen by last season with martial upfront.

But, saying that, our last couple games without Zlatan have been superb attacking wise, so maybe it isn't such a clearcut answer here.

Look i'm not taking anything away from Zlatans credit, and eligibility for the award, i'm simply implying he hasn't been the Mr Perfect so many have claimed he has been, and that he is clearly above all else for the POTS.

el3mel

Because; he is our main striker, meaning he's required to score because that is HIS job, and we play in a fashion which is dictated to set him up.
If martial or rashford misses a chance, it still means the same thing, but we are less reliant on them than we are on Zlatan.

I'm not claiming he doesn't deserve player of the season, my point is that it is absolutely ludicrouis to brand someone a hipster, because they feel Antonio Valencia, a man who has hardly put a foot wrong all season, and has done his job with efficiency and superbly, cannot be mentioned in the same breath of Zlatan.
Huh ? You still remember this discussion ? :D It's already dead now anyway with him getting injured.

I disagree with your ideas about the attack as any top team now is not 100 % dependent on striker but they use his movements to facilitate for the wingers possibilities to score,too. The striker sure should score a lot ( and he did it ) but look at any top team of the world and you'll find them having a goal scorer wing who scores a lot each season. There's no team who's 100% dependent on his striker alone, won't achieve anything. You need variety in your goal scorers to give the opponent more options to close on, making your attack more unpredictable.

I also don't see us heavily centered around getting him chances, Zlatan style of play was always to drop deep and hold the ball so that the wingers will take chance to cut inside and find more space with him dropping down but our wings were never on the same wave length. He's not the kind of striker that's supposed to stay upfront and you throw the ball in front of him we weren't using him like that in most of our games. We appear too reliant on him because no other players were taking their chances in front of the goal. He missed a lot but also compensated with scoring a lot. His teammates also got many chances but rarely score and this makes us appear as playing a style who benefits him only. If all our players were taking their chances too this discussion wouldn't have arisen.

Valencia had a magnificent and deserves credit for sure, no doubt.

RU Devil

Voted for Zlatan, but Ander is just as deserving. It just it's not showing on the scoreline, but he just does all the little things that makes the team run smoother.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
For me:
1. Valencia - genuinely world class in his position; from the current crop I'd only take Carvajal and possibly Lahm instead of him
2-3. Zlatan, Herrera. Can't separate them - both absolutely crucial for us, although if we compare them to the world's best they come a little short. Still, immense season from my personal favorite (Herrera), and Zlatan proved the doubters wrong, such a shame that he didn't get the chance to finish this season on the pitch

Honorable mentions to Pogba (ridiculous player, but still incredibly inconsistent), Bailly (monstrous start of the season, then maintained a good/great level despite a few errors in the past months) and Mata/Micky (especially the latter, he showed so much in the limited time he was given)

Rojo's season is getting a little overrated here due to the public opinion on him at the start of the season, imo. Although he still is among our top performers.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Zlatan who would have had a greater impact with a dominant midfield.

Sigma

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4071...35471872/who-is-man-utds-player-of-the-season

Jose Mourinho calls it "closing the circle". The club has promoted it as "the final piece in the jigsaw". The subject is the Europa League, as Manchester United stand on the verge on winning the competition for the first time and completing the set of available trophies in world football.

But whether or not United get the job done against Ajax on May 24 in Stockholm, some will still claim it has been an underwhelming season for a club which synonymous with flowing football and constant involvement in the assignment of major trophies. While there has been no Champions League involvement and an inability to have a real say in the top four race in the Premier League, Mourinho has led his side to an EFL Cup win and the Europa League final, as well as the season-opening Community Shield.

Perhaps people expected more from Paul Pogba after his world record-breaking transfer from Juventus, but his stats rival anybody's in the Premier League, while David de Gea has once more been an assuring presence in goal despite coming under less pressure than in previous campaigns.

Eric Bailly has turned in an excellent first campaign in England but blotted his copybook with an untimely red card in the Europa League semi-final, while Ander Herrera just misses out on the podium when it comes to individual awards having adapted to a slightly new role this term. Henrikh Mkhitaryan is another who might be considered in the Player of the Season running in some circles.

However, Goal has selected United's top three performers of the 2016-17 season and, given there were some incredibly close calls, feel free to join the debate in the comment box at the bottom of the page!

3. MARCUS RASHFORD

Before April the selection of Marcus Rashford ahead of Mkhitaryan would have been a matter of some contention, but the young striker's response to adversity this season has been nothing short of phenomenal.

He got almost no game time at the beginning of the season but bounced back with a crucial injury-time winner at Hull City. He then adapted well to spending the majority of the campaign out wide as Zlatan Ibrahimovic bossed the central striker position. But it was in the big man's absence that he thrived most, and since he ended a seven-month goal drought against Sunderland in the spring he has not looked back.

His excellent performance and crucial goal in the 2-0 win over Chelsea was a stand-out as Mourinho finally picked Rashford ahead of Ibra. Then he switched to the No.9 role with match-winning effect against Anderlecht after Zlatan had suffered his season-curtailing knee injury.

And come the semi-final he provided a showing of great maturity in Vigo, capping it off with the wonderful winner, and then came back to bite Celta again in assisting Marouane Fellaini's crucial goal in the return leg while being at the heart of United's best moments.

He may well have shown some rough edges at times as he continues to come to terms with a new reality which was nothing but a dream 15 months ago, yet he is quickly becoming an all-round striker of real talent. And, come the business end of the season, he has stepped effortlessly into Zlatan's boots as United's new talisman.

2. ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC

He might often have seemingly compromised United's commitment to a certain style of football, but 28 goals in a shortened first season in England certainly answered a whole host of critics. United's self-proclaimed 'Lion' has enjoyed shutting up more than a few people with his wonderful form in his debut Premier League campaign.

The big Swede scored far too many game-defining goals to mention, with his form through the winter months particularly praiseworthy. Two goals in the EFL Cup final win over Southampton stand out, while the wonderful long-range finishes against Bournemouth and Sunderland will also feature in the season-ending highlight reels.

His ability to conserve energy and then deliver bursts of superb forward play have surprised many who thought a 35-year-old would find it difficult to adapt to the Premier League, and while Ibrahimovic himself has bemoaned the lack of control teams have when leading in England, he has clearly relished his spell in Manchester.

His anterior cruciate ligament injury might have put an end to hopes he would end his campaign on home soil in the Europa League final, but Zlatan's impact will still be stamped all over the victory if they pull it off thanks to the personality he has added to the squad this term.

1. ANTONIO VALENCIA

There have been times in seasons gone by when Antonio Valencia has looked like the least appropriate option possible at right-back, but 2016-17 will go down in the Ecuadorian's career as the moment he became a true Manchester United superstar.

He spent long spells under Louis van Gaal in the defensive line but never did he truly stake his claim to be irreplaceable in quite the way he has done under Mourinho. "I just think he is the best right-back you can have. There is no better right-back in football," said Mourinho in January, and the sheer lack of dissenting voices said much about the claim's veracity.

Valencia has owned the right flank this term, not just chiming in well with attacks as would be expected of a converted winger, but also improving his defensive reading of the game beyond recognition.

"I tried to sign Antonio a number of years ago, when I was at Madrid," Mourinho added of the right-back. "Even though he was not playing right-back at the time, I thought he could be phenomenal in that position. As it was, United told me 'no chance!'"

And it is now so clear to see why Mourinho had faith in Valencia's ability to make the switch. He may not have got the praise afforded to Ibrahimovic this term, and he might not grab the headlines of a Pogba or a Wayne Rooney, but his marvellous level of consistency in a season which has seen so little of exactly that on a team-wide level is worthy of immense praise.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
bailly
zlatan
errr.... possibly hererra or valencia but will go for DDG

togg

Zlatan. The fact our form has gone downhill since he was injured speaks volumes for how much we miss him on the pitch and the influence he has had in improving our football in the main this season.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Valencia, closely followed by Zlatan

Everyone else is far behind

Edit: I'd also say that Zlatan's been our MVP, while Valencia's been our best player.
I'd agree with that. Voted Zlatan because there's no argument about the weight of his contribution, but Tony V has been better, more consistent and excelled beyond his remit.

When they had that melee against Vigo I was dreading him getting a red card.

spwd

Surprised more haven't got Bailly in their top 3.

1-Zlatan.

2-Ander.

3-Eric.