g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

United players upset at criticism, didums

binary bot
I guarantee you the supposed thick skinned players of the old generation wouldn't shy away from telling a journalist to feck off or blocking them on social media if it was a thing at the time.

It's interesting how the similar behaviours of the old generation are looked upon in a positive light.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
For me, the manager, coaches and players deserve criticism for this season but not abuse, and there is a lot of that going round. Its
not right.

Flytan

Wouldn't surprise me if it was anyone other than Ronaldo, De gea, or varane honestly. Shaw probably not either.

SeanyC

A bunch of numpty cry babies, I swear if Fergie got a hold of them they wouldn’t know what hit them

OL29

Mauguire is the first to come to mind. He doesn’t seem the type to handle criticism well at all.

K Stand Knut

Really??!?

who gives a feck about any of this?

Articles like this get written because cnuts lap it up and jump on a bandwagon to throw more criticism at players who they can’t even identify but think that it is acceptable to try and say who they are.

The whole situation is a fecking joke from the players or their family’s whinging about it to these shite journalists writing about the whole episode.

Castia

Keane said he’d have smacked De Gea after a performance and nobody said a word but he calls Maguire’s celebration a disgrace and the bullying claims come out….feck off.

Call em as you see em and this lot are fecking shite.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Family members not responding well to criticism doesn't necessarily mean that the player is putting them up to it. It can easily just be a brother/cousin/aunt/etc who is very proud to be related to somebody who is playing at the top level, likely bragging to all their friends and whatnot about 'their boy'. And that person is then getting upset and not reacting well with what they feel is over-the-top criticism.

Swedish_Plumber

I've said it before our team may look good on paper but it means nothing. When it actually gets to the latter stages of the Champions League or is still in a title race come the end of April then I'll believe it. Right now I think they are mentally weak.
We’re a poor man’s PSG in that regard.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Keane said he’d have smacked De Gea after a performance and nobody said a word but he calls Maguire’s celebration a disgrace and the bullying claims come out….feck off.

Call em as you see em and this lot are fecking shite.
These british core thing should only apply to players you can trust. Like Rashford. Outside of that, what good is british core if theyre so pedantic about criticism and act like a little bitch. It's Lukaku all over again but this time with the help of their mates, ex legends whatever.

Bertie 2 Hats

Far too many of our players have a weak mentality.. This is one of the main reasons as to why we haven't won anything since 2017 :mad:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Same type of players/people who were offended by LvG's criticising e-mails
The LVG story is even better. They allegedly used to do collective video sessions where the coaching staff would individually analyze player's performances and evaluate them publicily, they players allegedly didn't like being shown out publicly and for that reason LVG decided to send them private messages instead and could check if the players opened them.

Anyway, I can understand why players would be upset, it's normal. I hope that they understand that they are in a line of work where performance is easily gauged, they will never escape criticism when things go wrong and will be adored and praised when things go right.

studs

Didums indeed. If they are going to play and talk gick, then they should be given loads of gick.

hobbers

I don’t think they’re thin skinned, there’s more entitlement amongst fans now who think they can give them shit on social media and in real life, because they see others doing it on social media.

Imagine not being able to go on any form of social media without seeing your name and performances getting hammered. They’re not free from criticism but they’re also entitled to a private life free from abuse around the clock.
This is more about players not being able to handle criticism in the press than on their social media.

But in any case, their twitter and instagram accounts are not for their private lives. They're made and managed by agencies to promote the players' brands. No different to criticising corporations on social media, frankly.

They're definitely thin skinned, as is society in general. It's a direct consequence of the social media age.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Lingard and Shaw.

Lingard's dad is acting as his agent now after Raiola dumped him. Shaw is definitely the sort of wimp to get his family to write to journos.
WTF? Lingard’s barely featured and his goals/minute is probably the best in the squad. He’s one of very few players to not get any criticism this season.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
“one player, who is fairly peripheral at Man Utd, has a social media team who weren’t too pleased with something he’d written”

Theres the problem right there

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Obviously Lingard, a peripheral figure if ever there was one.
Anyone's guess as to other.

Maguire answered his critics by becoming the highest scoring defender in history for his country, in fairly certain that's a good way to answer your critics rather than getting his wife to send an email :lol: :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
When Vialli and Zola came to England the first thing they said was how great the EPL is. Double daily training sessions were the exception rather then the norm, there was no 'ritiri' (boot camps) when things go wrong and players could lose a game and still go out to the pub in the evening without risking getting hunted down by the fans. Vialli had a top career with Juventus, however Zola played most of his career with Parma whom, back then, were a bit like Spurs. So this rigid mentality was throughout the entire Serie A.

In 2009, the youth team came to visit Malta. This youth team had the likes of Pogba and Jesse in it. SAF broke the team into groups who were send at tables filled with fans. The fans were given around 15 minutes and then they would move to other tables. SAF INSTRUCTED us to ask players the most difficult and uncomfortable football related questions. The Supporters club committee were incredibly uncomfortable with that as they feared that this might lead burning bridges between the supporters club and some of the players. Yet SAF insisted on this session claiming that if these kids couldn't handle United fans who mean well then they would crumble against professional journalists in the future

SAF is gone and I very much doubt it that those who succeeded him could be bothered with the youth academy let alone in producing kids who are comfortable around criticism. We also signed many local players from small clubs on huge fees who are, quite frankly, overrated. That's a dangerous mix as on one hand the expectations are very high and on the other hand there's little talent to justify that. Also I very much doubt that the likes of Sheffield United or Crystal Palace had mentally trained Maguire and Wan Bissaka to face hordes of fans, from different countries, different cultures and with different ways how to express their disappointment, all of whom expect players to perform greatly week in week out. They might equip them in facing relegation with a brave face (how many times Maguire had been relegated?) but certainly not that.

United certainly doesn't help. We tend to buy pick up trucks for the price of a Ferrari only to suddenly expect them to perform as Ferraris would do. When things go wrong our manager vanishes to Norway for a holiday leaving behind club legends to shield his players and himself from criticism from the fans and sometimes other club legends as well. This parody is reaching new heights with the latest being with Robson who took cheap shots at Keane's managerial career when he himself didn't exactly covered himself in glory on that regard.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Obviously Lingard, a peripheral figure if ever there was one.
Anyone's guess as to other.

Maguire answered his critics by becoming the highest scoring defender in history for his country, in fairly certain that's a good way to answer your critics rather than getting his wife to send an email :lol: :lol:
Honestly most Manchester United fans can't give a feck about his record with England although most of us acknowledge that scoring goals against the likes of Poland, Hungary, Albania and San Marino is hard work.

Judas

Open to offers
If McTominay is blocking Goldbridge on social media, seems he's a bit sensitive so I bet he's having a good cry at the moment.

It's just sad how mentally weak this group seems to be. Bleak stuff.

Ixion

When our Captain can't handle getting criticised for weeks of poor performances I don't hold out much hope for the mentality of the rest of our squad.

the_cliff

I don't think it's Pogba, Pogba's been getting cooked by the media since he's joined and never done something like this, he's not gonna start now.

Defo Maguire and Mctominay is my bet, you know what type of person Maguire is when you read about what he said in regards to that incident in Greece.

UpWithRivers

Its like a swimmer complaining about being wet. What the fk do they expect after being hammered by the scousers and embarrassed by City? It blows my mind if this is true.

copen1945

The players do have a reason to be aggrieved. Solskjaer and the coaches are getting contract extensions while they are taking the heat.

afatzp

Could not feel any sympathy about it. Got paid 5X more than usual good players, your compensation for mental abuse has been included in the pay check. You supposedly a elite player, deal with it.

To those posts trying to be politically correct and condemn the fans, BE REALISTIC . Such abuse will never go away. People come to football to release their stress and passion, you either provide some entertainment , or a venting outlet for the frustration.