United reserves to play Shamrock Rovers and Arsenal Reserves

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Rovers to face Premiership reserve teams - Extratime.ie - Newsdesk - League of Ireland

Shamrock Rovers have today announced two friendly matches against reserve sides from Manchester United and Arsenal at Tallaght Stadium in the Platinum One Challenge. The tournament will run from August 15th until August 22nd.

The visiting sides will both bring their up and coming young stars to Tallaght Stadium. Former Manchester United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said that the new event promised to be an early season boost for players who are pushing for 1st team recognition.

"Our current first team contains many players like Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, John O’Shea, Darren Fletcher, Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson and Wes Brown who have come through the ranks and some of the talent on show in Dublin will hopefully be in Sir Alex’s mind in the near future. For these players to get additional competitive action early in the season is welcome".

Head of Youth Development at Arsenal, Liam Brady said: “Arsenal’s policies in player development are fundamental to the success of the club. Once players get to reserve level they have to prove that they are capable of moving into the 1st team. An event like The PLATINUM ONE Challenge is important in that respect. To play Shamrock Rovers, whose European exploits have been so impressive, and our old rivals Manchester United in Dublin will be a bit special. We will have some very talented young players from all over the world on show and I am looking forward to seeing how they perform in this tournament.”

Shamrock Rovers Manager, Michael O’Neill said: “By the end of August Shamrock Rovers will have hosted Real Madrid, Juventus, Manchester United and Arsenal at Tallaght Stadium in little over a year. This is a progressive football club and again working with PLATINUM ONE on this event, our board is making sure that we are behaving as the leading club in Ireland should. The opportunity to see some of the Manchester United and Arsenal stars of the future at Tallaght will attract new football fans to our home stadium and we aim to impress them both on and off the pitch so that they return to watch Shamrock Rovers on future occasions.”

Details of the matches are as follows:

Sunday 15th August, 7.00pm Shamrock Rovers v Manchester United Reserves

Thursday 19th August, 7.45pm Manchester United Reserves v Arsenal Reserves

Sunday 22nd August, 3.00pm Shamrock Rovers v Arsenal Reserves

Very tempted to go to this - expensive enough tickets for reserve games though - €15 for the Shamrock Rovers game and €20 for the Arsenal Reserves game.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
You should go, particularly the Arsenal game. Our reserve team should be very exciting to watch this year.
def going to one of them, probably the Shamrock Rovers game. Will prob go to the Arsenal game too. Both games depend on who else I can get to go with me!

Would love to see King, Brady, Morrison, Eikrem and a few others in action. Not sure who is going to be in the reserve squad this year, don't know if Pogba, Keane, Obertan etc will be involved.

datura

The squad for the most recent game was:

Man Utd XI: Johnstone, Wootton, Fryers (Stewart HT), Chester, Gill, Possebon, Ajose, Morrison (Tunnicliffe 84), King (Norwood 68), Eiksem (Lingard 78), Brady (Dudgeon HT). Subs not used: Devlin, Cathcart.

Out of that group Stewart will be out at Yeovil, and possibily one or two others. Keane might be involved after returning from the Milk Cup, Pogba may possibly be injured.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I assume a few of the lads currently on tour in the States would play in these, assuming they haven't already sorted out loan moves.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
where are they available from? Think I'll go to that myself
They are available on ticketmaster.ie.

Heading to both games myself, heading with the brother and a few of his mates to teh arsenal game on thursday night (3 arsenal fans and 2 united fans incl. me) and going to get tickets for the game on the sunday vs Shamrock rovers either today or tomorrow.

Looking forward to both games already, and heading to the airtricity game on wednesday. Happy days!

el eric

Just had a wee look.

you have to buy tickets to all 3 and its €40 for adults or €30 for kids. Pricy that

I can only make 1 so i dont think i'll bother

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just had a wee look.

you have to buy tickets to all 3 and its €40 for adults or €30 for kids. Pricy that

I can only make 1 so i dont think i'll bother
Are you positive about that?

A mate bought the tickets, so I can't be sure, but I'm almost certain he got them for this game only.

EDIT: Just checked. Can get 'em for the arse game only. 20 yoyo for adults, 15 for U-16. Not cheap but better than buying tickets for all three.

Link

Name Changed

weso26
Are you positive about that?

A mate bought the tickets, so I can't be sure, but I'm almost certain he got them for this game only.

EDIT: Just checked. Can get 'em for the arse game only. 20 yoyo for adults, 15 for U-16. Not cheap but better than buying tickets for all three.

Link
Yea, you can definitely do it. I couldn't find it either originally. Just getting tickets for the Rovers game myself.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Heading to both the Shamrock Rovers game, and the Arsenal game. Will tweet updates from both matches if people want (TScorpio on twitter).

Who else on here is going to the games?

Also, any one have any info on what the reserve side are doing for this?

Are they staying in Ireland for the week or are they just traveling over day of each game? Anyone have any word on who will be in the squad for the games? I would love to see Pogba and Morrison in action, but I think both may be injured at the moment. Would also be great, obviously, to see Bebe, but I doubt they'll be sending him off on a trip with the reserves just a few days after signing for the club - though I think it is certain we will see him in the reserves long before the first team.

Decotron

Im going alright probably just to the Arsenal game.

Im a fish out of water heading into the ghetto. Moses will be outside the ground on both days to translate....

Might wear my Bohs jersey :p

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
RTÉ Sport: Gilliespie to guest for Shamrock Rovers

There will be an interesting subplot to the opening match in the Platinum One Challenge which starts on Sunday 15 August, after it has been confirmed that Shamrock Rovers has invited former Manchester United and Newcastle United star Keith Gillespie to guest for the club in the tournament.

Gillespie won 86 caps for Northern Ireland and played in the Manchester United 1992 FA Youth Cup winning side with Gary Neville, David Beckham, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

Ireland Under-21 international Patrick Cregg who made three first team appearances for Arsenal and played for Hibernian in the SPL last season will also guest for Rovers in the Platinum One Challenge.

Manchester United will confirm its squad for the tournament on Saturday. The event, which features Shamrock Rovers and strong reserve squads of Manchester United and Arsenal, will open with the clash of Shamrock Rovers and Manchester United this Sunday evening at 7pm.
looking forward to hearing what the squad will be. Could be a little light up front, with Welbeck and King on loan.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We've got SuperKeane!

And Nicky Ajose, who looks like Remi Moses, with a squashed head.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
FFS I just switched work so I'm working 3-11. Completely forgot about this game

Berlinknives

Any news on the squad yet?
Possible Squad

Ben Amos, Conor Devlin, Sam Johnstone; Gary Neville, Ritchie de Laet, Oliver Gill, Joe Dudgeon, Scott Wootton, Zeki Fryers, Reece Brown, Patrice Evra; Corry Evans, Magnus Eikrem, Rodrigo Possebon, Oliver Norwood, Ryan Tunnicliffe; Nicky Ajose, Will Keane.

lysglimt

Scout
Possible Squad

Ben Amos, Conor Devlin, Sam Johnstone; Gary Neville, Ritchie de Laet, Oliver Gill, Joe Dudgeon, Scott Wootton, Zeki Fryers, Reece Brown, Patrice Evra; Corry Evans, Magnus Eikrem, Rodrigo Possebon, Oliver Norwood, Ryan Tunnicliffe; Nicky Ajose, Will Keane.
I would be surprised if United dare to send their 3rd choice goalkeeper away on this tournament when they are playing 2 matches at the same time themselves. If Edwin or Kuszczak gets injured we could be stuck without a 2nd goalkeeper against Fulham.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I would be surprised if United dare to send their 3rd choice goalkeeper away on this tournament when they are playing 2 matches at the same time themselves. If Edwin or Kuszczak gets injured we could be stuck without a 2nd goalkeeper against Fulham.
The matches are tomorrow and Thursday. If someone is injured. He's only in Dublin, not Dubai.

Legend16

heading down tonight. anyone know what time the ticket office opens down there

Berlinknives

It's only across the Irish Sea in Dublin, there could easily be a quick recall in that unlikely scenario. He'd probably get more of a decent warmup with the reserves as third choice goalkeepers are not properaly used in training games.
There and could arrive quicker by plane than the team do by coach, It probably does seem worth the risk.

It's likely that O'Shea were injured Evra would be called back, if Rafael or Brown were injured Neville would or could be called back, at least to be cover players. So why couldn't Amos be called back if anything happened Edwin or Kuszczak?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Surprised Fabio is playing. Thought he'd start against Newcastle considering Evra has had no football at all.

arjwiz

Is Possebon playing? If so, how's he doing? If not, does that mean he's pretty much out?