United should let Rashford, Fred, Dalot, Shaw, and Ronaldo all go this summer

PeteManic

As per this Guardian Article I think United should just get rid of all of them and start the serious rebuilding now. Yes it would take a season or two to get the type of hungry players that want to play for a team like United, but there is no point in giving new contracts to Fred, Shaw, Dalot, or Ronaldo. DeGea is the only one that I would keep. You could make an argument for Rashford, but that is more sentimental than anything. He has been awful since missing the penalty in the Euros final.

Get rid of the lot and start over again. Get players in with something to prove.

Stig

And replace them with whom ?

I think in the real world that the process needs to be more gradual.

Shaw is playing the best I have ever seen from him in the last 2 games. I might not be selling him.

Of those mentioned, Rashford would be first on my list and I think we would get decent money for him as well. Double win.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Shaw is playing the best I have ever seen from him in the last 2 games.
The problem is we are caught in a catch 22 due to gross mismanagement. We can’t completely strip the squad and expect the glazers to re equip the team to a high enough standard in one window. On the other hand to get any of the above players to stay we are going to get absolutely shafted on the contract. We are paying way above market value when it comes to wages for players who win very little silverware.

We will eventually need to strip the squad way back to fix the wage bill but we are contract fc. We will keep anyone of note who wants to stick around. Just look at Pogba. I definitely would have let Ronadlo go on a free last summer if he was up for it and replaced him with someone young on 1/4 of the wages who is a really hardworking team player or someone with the potential to be top class. It would have been a very good start and an important building block for the future.

Last edited:

Chief123

As per this Guardian Article I think United should just get rid of all of them and start the serious rebuilding now. Yes it would take a season or two to get the type of hungry players that want to play for a team like United, but there is no point in giving new contracts to Fred, Shaw, Dalot, or Ronaldo. DeGea is the only one that I would keep. You could make an argument for Rashford, but that is more sentimental than anything. He has been awful since missing the penalty in the Euros final.

Get rid of the lot and start over again. Get players in with something to prove.
Getting rid of them is the easy part. Getting adequate replacements is the hard part. Especially when glazers ration their spending each summer.

Hulme91

We'd be left with no fullbacks, no proven forward and no goalkeeper
Just what we need when half our team already needs to be replaced

Reactions: Jippy

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Some people are so dumb. Shaw when in form is capable of being one of the best left backs in the world. He's getting in form right now. Between him and Malacia we have a very good LB situation. Why let him go, only to then to spend 50m on a left back and hope he can offer what a fit and firing Shaw can offer?

Likewise Rashford at LW, just increase the fee to 100m and it not be a definite that they'd improve on Rashford. Dumb.

Dalot is at the very worst a very good squad player long term. He's young. He either keeps progressing and becomes a good starter, or stays a squad player. Why lose him on a free, and then need 2 right backs?

Losing players on a free who are either useful squad players or are current starters is a horrendous decision, pretty much all the time. Only in rare circumstance does it make sense, and de Gea is one of those.

USREDEVIL

That's way too deep a cut.

Let ronaldo go and sell fred for peanuts. I'd be getting rid of Tuanzebe, DVB and others before Shaw and Dalot. Dalot can be a good backup for a great RB.

Tarrou

it's not realistic as it's too expensive

the best approach is for ETH to keep working with these players and trying to improve them, in the mean-time he can gradually bring some new players into the fold and let the ones who don't work hard and improve move on

Abraxas

Not for me. You need a squad. Yes they're expensive to keep or renew but that's how things are when you're Manchester United. Nobody that comes here will be cheap either.

Selling Shaw when we've finally got decent competition is a bad idea. Why go back to square one on a position we now look good in? That makes no sense to me. These two can push each other, nobody is a clear favourite which is good.

With right back why would you get rid of the incumbent when we don't even have a backup to him presently? He needs supplementing not releasing. Maybe we buy quality and Dalot becomes a squad player - nothing wrong with that.

I think with Rashford we have an option on him so there is time to see how he goes. He's looked better. It doesn't immediately mean we should throw a big new contract at him but it's not the time for making big statements when the manager seems to be working well with him.

Ronaldo will be going, Fred I am open to going because he's going to be on a last big contract given his age and he's not irreplaceable. Maybe we don't want him on a long, expensive contract at this stage if the manager wants to retool in midfield.

NLunited

What?!?

Shaw is doing well, Dalot (wanted by Barcelona) will thrive in a possession- based setup which we are starting to implement, Rashford scores and assists. I guess Ronaldo can go because he is too old.

Red_toad

Shaw is playing the best I have ever seen from him in the last 2 games. I might not be selling him.

Of those mentioned, Rashford would be first on my list and I think we would get decent money for him as well. Double win.
Some people live in cloud cuckoo land, the club has declining revenues and growing debt. So where do they think the funds come from to replace them? Maybe they think we can go all in for Mbappe and that'll solve everything :lol:. Of those listed I'd say Ronaldo is the only one who's off as he won't extend to have another season on the bench.

Dark Side of the Moon

Supports
Celtic
Some people are so dumb. Shaw when in form is capable of being one of the best left backs in the world. He's getting in form right now. Between him and Malacia we have a very good LB situation. Why let him go, only to then to spend 50m on a left back and hope he can offer what a fit and firing Shaw can offer?

Likewise Rashford at LW, just increase the fee to 100m and it not be a definite that they'd improve on Rashford. Dumb.

Dalot is at the very worst a very good squad player long term. He's young. He either keeps progressing and becomes a good starter, or stays a squad player. Why lose him on a free, and then need 2 right backs?

Losing players on a free who are either useful squad players or are current starters is a horrendous decision, pretty much all the time. Only in rare circumstance does it make sense, and de Gea is one of those.
I’ve been browsing this forum for ten years.

Its an amazing source for information, Man Utd or not, football or not, for me one of the most informative places on the internet.

I had to send a password reset to my email based on that comment. Shaw capable of being one of the best left backs in the world? Incredible.

We must be watching a different game. There’s average left midfielders that could play the role better.

It’s a sad indictment of where Man Utd are that some fans are happy with Luke Shaw in the squad.

Stig

Some people live in cloud cuckoo land, the club has declining revenues and growing debt. So where do they think the funds come from to replace them? Maybe they think we can go all in for Mbappe and that'll solve everything :lol:. Of those listed I'd say Ronaldo is the only one who's off as he won't extend to have another season on the bench.
Did you read my first or second sentence ?

Infestissumam

Rashford and Dalot have actually done well this season under the new manager, and people want to get rid of them? I really don't get this place sometimes.

bosnian_red

it's not realistic as it's too expensive

the best approach is for ETH to keep working with these players and trying to improve them, in the mean-time he can gradually bring some new players into the fold and let the ones who don't work hard and improve move on
Yeah. I'd say in terms of an upgrade sequence, we're looking at this in terms of immediate upgrades:
  1. Replace Ronaldo with a starting ST
  2. Replace AWB with young potential future starter RB
  3. Replace DDG as main keeper
  4. Replace Henderson/whoever as backup keeper
  5. Replace Eriksen at deep playmaker (move Eriksen to compete with Bruno/compete with the deep playmaker; sell Fred and Donny)
And then past this, we're looking another year on, or transitioning our older players out, so it'd be:
  1. Sell Maguire, replace with younger future Varane replacement CB
  2. Future replacement for CAM/CDM as Bruno/Eriksen and Casemiro will be declining in the not too distant future
  3. Upgrade on one of the above signings if they didn't pan out if needed
  4. Winger upgrade if needed
  5. Left back upgrade if needed
So I'd say both LB and wing are pretty much off the list for the foreseeable future. No use in bringing it up.

bosnian_red

Its an amazing source for information, Man Utd or not, football or not, for me one of the most informative places on the internet.

I had to send a password reset to my email based on that comment. Shaw capable of being one of the best left backs in the world? Incredible.

We must be watching a different game. There’s average left midfielders that could play the role better.

It’s a sad indictment of where Man Utd are that some fans are happy with Luke Shaw in the squad.
Luke Shaw of last season, no. Luke Shaw of 20/21 was an excellent fullback, and the best in the league that season. If you're the best in the premier league, or top 3 based on talent and potential, then you are automatically "one of the best in the world".

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
And the players will just easily accept the downgrade of club status easily huh.. Not everyone wants to go to Everton or something. Not even considering the salary

hobbers

Realistically we are never letting shaw or rashford leave to due to the home grown quota. They’re English and actually good enough to get on the pitch occasionally, unlike AWB or Maguire

Ronaldo and Fred though, get them off the books as soon as possible along with Jones and Tuanzebe

Abraxas

Who are these average left midfielders capable of playing left back better than Shaw, just out of interest?

Strelok

This is simply nuts.

Rashford is getting back to form and OP want to get rid of him. Then spend +100m on exactly who? While we don't even have the money for a new striker :houllier:

We have a shitload of deadwood on insane wage need to get rid like Maguire before thinking about Rashford.

themanguydude

So on top of needing to get

1) Ball playing GK
2) Ball progressing CM
3) CF
4) Back up RB

We now need

1) Ball playing GK
2) Ball progressing CM
3) CF
4) Back up RB
5) Starting LW
6) Back up CM
7) Starting RB
8) Starting LB

How much do you think we're gonna spend next summer? 500m? Does that sound realistic to you?

OmarUnited4ever

I am not for letting them all go, it will be almost impossible to find good replacement at fair transfer fees, clubs will demand huge money when we come calling (imagine we want another RB, most clubs will demand 50M at least unless the player is in the last year of his contract), nor I am for handing them new contracts for the sake of it, Ten Hag's approach is the most sensible one, which is to focus on performing now, because there is plenty of time, except for Ronaldo who will most likely leave, the rest have the one year option which will be triggered soon, which will allow Ten Hag to assess these players and make sure they can sustain strong performances for an extended period of time.

In the article, Ten Hag said: -

On DDG:-

We didn’t make a decision on him but what I can say is that I am really happy with David de Gea as a keeper. His first two performances of the season were not his best but after you see he brings us a lot for the defence department, gives stability and as a person I like him – I can cooperate with him really well. But first we go to the winter and then we will talk about how to deal with this.

On Rashford, Fred and Diogo Dalot, Luke Shaw: -

In this moment we only think about performing,” he said. “We have a lot of games to go, so I don’t want to get that interfered by talks.
Of course, the players will know that from now on, new contracts will be awarded on merit, which is a good motivator.

Dark Side of the Moon

Supports
Celtic
Who are these average left midfielders capable of playing left back better than Shaw, just out of interest?
Filip Kostic, Mario Rui, Aihen Munoz, Federico Di Marco, Kieran Tierney, Adum Marusic, Juan Bernat, Vincenzo Grifo, David Raum, Jose Gaya etc.

Red_toad

Did you read my first or second sentence ?
I was agreeing with your sentiment and adding to it. You didn't create the thread, nor post any fantasy nonsense, no need to be so sensitive and go looking for things to take offense with.

Wing Attack Plan R

Ronaldo and Fred are a good start, throw in Maguire. Dalot and Shaw are both playing well right now, and if they finish the season strong we should keep them. I'm still curious to see if Dalot can step it up a gear.

The question becomes what kind of wages are they on? Is this accurate: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester-united-fc/payroll/ .

Ronaldo 515,000 (pounds per week)
DeGea 375,000
Rashford 200,000
Maguire 190,000
Shaw 150,000
Fred 120,000
VDB 120,000 (makes twice what McTominay makes, and never plays)
Dalot 25,000 (a bargain)

A lot of these contracts are insane. I'm not convinced DeGea and Rashford are problems, but Rashford makes the same as Harry Kane, which sounds insane. Who wouldn't swap Rashford for Kane? A player like Shaw is hard to judge because when he gets competition (Telles, Malacia) he finds his form. I'd like to see what ETH can do with players like Shaw and Rashford, even McT and maybe even get a tune out of VDB.

Swordsman

Ronaldo and Fred are a good start, throw in Maguire. Dalot and Shaw are both playing well right now, and if they finish the season strong we should keep them. I'm still curious to see if Dalot can step it up a gear.

The question becomes what kind of wages are they on? Is this accurate: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester-united-fc/payroll/ .

Ronaldo 515,000 (pounds per week)
DeGea 375,000
Rashford 200,000
Maguire 190,000
Shaw 150,000
Fred 120,000
VDB 120,000 (makes twice what McTominay makes, and never plays)
Dalot 25,000 (a bargain)

A lot of these contracts are insane. I'm not convinced DeGea and Rashford are problems, but Rashford makes the same as Harry Kane, which sounds insane. Who wouldn't swap Rashford for Kane? A player like Shaw is hard to judge because when he gets competition (Telles, Malacia) he finds his form. I'd like to see what ETH can do with players like Shaw and Rashford, even McT and maybe even get a tune out of VDB.
515k pounds to sit on the bench most of the time ?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Yeah, let's ditch the current top scorer this season, that'll end well when we are already struggling to score without him.

Remember the geese

Keep Dalot, Shaw and Rashford. De Gea and Ronaldo can leave and be replaced with quality. Fred can be allowed to go and be replaced by Mainoo and Hannibal.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Dalot and Rashford can stay surely. The others I agree if we replace them

I’m loving my life

Is there any way of giving them cheaper more flexible contracts with lower wages, bonuses for performance and options to cut it short? I can’t see any other clubs being stupid enough to pay them what we currently pay them

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The only ones on that list we will let go are Fred and Ronaldo and possibly Dave.
Even if ETH wants to let the others go, I think the club will talk him round.
In any case, I am in complete alignment with ETH. Players who want contracts should perform.

ShoePolish

His wages is part of the problem, others want parity. He needs to halve his wages, at least, if he's so keen to stay, otherwise, it's best we move on for both financial and footballing reasons.

mikeyt

While I 100% agree Fred, Ronaldo and Rashford should be moved on we have plenty more of our 1st team squad ahead of them at the exit door.

DVB, AWB, De Gea, Maguire, Tuanzebe and I'd add Bruno to the list too.

pascell

I think Ronaldo, VdB, AWB, Tuanzebe, Telles, Bailly, Martial and Maguire will all be moved on next summer. Possibly Lindelof.

We won't be having a huge spending spree next summer if there's no CL as revenue will fall again.

I think getting rid of the above, bring some youngsters like Laird and Mejbri into the fold and the priority will be a striker. Hopefully we squeeze 3 signings out of the budget next summer, will I can't see being vast unless we have CL football for next season.

Oranges038

We'd be left with no fullbacks, no proven forward and no goalkeeper
Just what we need when half our team already needs to be replaced
In fairness the club already needs new players in these positions with these guys in the squad. If you go beyond them you could name another 10 players at least that need to go as well.

Getting rid of them and shifting the ridiculous wages of just a few players like DDG, Shaw, Rashford, Ronaldo and Martial frees up a lot money to get the replacements in and cover their wages.

Players at Utd have become too comfortable by being paid too much for too little return. It's about standards and motivation, when other players see these guys getting big money for doing f all, they think they should be entitled to the same. Bruno is a fine example of this.

Getting rid of high earners who don't deserve what they get, shows the others it is not acceptable to be on so much money and offer so little. The rest will work harder and it will improve the work rate and motivation of the whole squad. Arsenal have done just this and they have become a much better squad and team because of it.