ForeverRed1

Costa
pavard varane Martinez shaw
Casemiro neves/Eriksen
Antony/rash Sancho/gakpo
Maddison/Bruno
toney

That’s over Jan window and next summer.

Costa, pavard, neves, gakpo, Maddison, Toney in.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Costa
pavard varane Martinez shaw
Casemiro neves/Eriksen
Antony/rash Sancho/gakpo
Maddison/Bruno
toney

That’s over Jan window and next summer.

Costa, pavard, neves, gakpo, Maddison, Toney in.
0 chance we spend that much. Maddison/Toney/Neves alone is probably close to 170m. Also we should be looking elsewhere for the Bruno/ Eriksen depth than the PL, otherwise we are just asking to be taken to the cleaners on those fees.

ForeverRed1

0 chance we spend that much. Maddison/Toney/Neves alone is probably close to 170m. Also we should be looking elsewhere for the Bruno/ Eriksen depth than the PL, otherwise we are just asking to be taken to the cleaners on those fees.
All 3 of those players would push for the move here. All due a big move and I don’t think it would be 170 at all. Plus we will be selling a fair few players. Over two transfer windows it’s doable.

Valencia Shin Crosses

All 3 of those players would push for the move here. All due a big move and I don’t think it would be 170 at all. Plus we will be selling a fair few players. Over two transfer windows it’s doable.
They can push for the move all they want. Antony and Martinez pushed for their moves. It still cost us over 130m for just those two. Prem clubs aren't strapped for cash anymore, so unless you can get a player that's going to be out of contract soon they are going to hold us for a relative ransom knowing we can pay it. For reference:

Maddison- 70 to 80m. It's Leicester, he's one of their best players, they aren't letting him go for cheap.
Toney- 50m. Maybe a bit more, but you aren't getting any sort of PL proven striker for less than 50m and that's probably a bit cheap.
Neves- Wolves have never entertained him leaving for less than 50m and he's their best midfielder.

And who are we going to sell that might give us some nice money in return? Maguire maybe (I'm still skeptical the board will let him go), Possibly Fred. That's about it.

Red00012

Evra just told ETH to stop answering questions from the media about Ronaldo :lol:

Idxomer

They can push for the move all they want. Antony and Martinez pushed for their moves. It still cost us over 130m for just those two. Prem clubs aren't strapped for cash anymore, so unless you can get a player that's going to be out of contract soon they are going to hold us for a relative ransom knowing we can pay it. For reference:

Maddison- 70 to 80m. It's Leicester, he's one of their best players, they aren't letting him go for cheap.
Toney- 50m. Maybe a bit more, but you aren't getting any sort of PL proven striker for less than 50m and that's probably a bit cheap.
Neves- Wolves have never entertained him leaving for less than 50m and he's their best midfielder.

And who are we going to sell that might give us some nice money in return? Maguire maybe (I'm still skeptical the board will let him go), Possibly Fred. That's about it.
Normally those valuations would be accurate but both Neves and Maddison's contracts are only till 2024. Next summer will be the last time their clubs can get a transfer fee for them unless they renew during this season.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Great plan. What's the average number of ins at United in the summer over the past five years?

Ibrahimorich

What a ridiculous idea. There's good players in all of them. How about let's see how they perform for a season under this manager first?

I'll never understand this "let's bin off half the squad" mentality. Especially at the start of a season.

Dark Side of the Moon

Supports
Celtic
Supports Celtic, also thinks Kieran Tierney is an average left midfielder.
Yes, both of these things are true.

Any full back in a progressive team now plays as a traditional left or right sided midfielder.

At the elite level, Tierney is limited and has a few flaws to his game. This, in addition to his hips and knees being made of chocolate, would make him an average signing.

roseguy64

In that list, only Fred and Ronaldo should be let go next summer in addition to Jones, Tuanzebe, Bailly, Williams, AWB, and Telles. There won't be enough money to replace Rashford, Shaw, Dalot and DDG after fixing the existing holes in the squad.
Agree with all those outs.

We also need a decision on Maguire by the end of the season. I'm fine with everyone else staying. Oh Henderson an out too.

roseguy64

Who cares if they would push for the move? Cucurella did that this past summer and he still cost 50m. Get off it.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Why would anyone want to let Fred leave on a free. He’s a quality squad player who offers something different. An aggressive front pressing player with a great engine who can excel as part of a system. He also has natural chemistry with Casemiro. It’d cost more to replace him without the guarantee of better quality. Yes, I would upgrade him to a Bellingham or a De Jong but otherwise I’d keep him.

Most of the rest of the OP is a fecking train wreck, and serves as a timely reminder of just how fickle [stupid] some people can be.

Ronaldo is a definite out, but losing Shaw, Dalot, Fred, De Gea, and Rashford on frees is madness. All good players. De Gea needs a salary adjustment but has shown this season he can adapt, and the rest are all good squad players who can fight for a first team place.

We should be cutting Henderson, Tuanzebe, Jones, Williams, Telles, Pellestri, Bailly, AWB, Maguire, Van de Beek, and Ronaldo and replacing them with quality over quantity. A RB to compete with Dalot (like Gusto), a central forward, a centre back to compete with and eventually succeed Varane, a tempo setting midfielder like Barella or De Jong, a serious competitor and/or successor for De Gea, and potentially a wild card slot for any top drawer emerging talents that become available (a “too good to let him go to a rival” scenario).

ForeverRed1

Who cares if they would push for the move? Cucurella did that this past summer and he still cost 50m. Get off it.
get off it? It’s a forum dude. I’d like to sign those players. Maybe we won’t get all of them but those would be players I’d choose that are realistic in terms that they would want to come here and are gettable to make our squad depth better. One or two of them would improve us.

JohnnyLaw

It’s a tickling idea considering some of our brightest prospects share those positions. An adventurous manager could perform a reset by promoting Fernandez, Laird, Hannibal, Garnacho and my nan to replace them.

Would I do that? No. Maybe in part.

But still, it’d be interesting.

Kag

Really? I think they’re all worth having around other than Ronaldo, who needs to be replaced anyway.

Replacing Dalot, Shaw and Rashford will cost tens of millions. Fred, for all of his faults, is a perfectly serviceable squad player provided we continue to improve the midfield.

georgipep

Why would anyone want to let Fred leave on a free. He’s a quality squad player who offers something different. An aggressive front pressing player with a great engine who can excel as part of a system. He also has natural chemistry with Casemiro. It’d cost more to replace him without the guarantee of better quality. Yes, I would upgrade him to a Bellingham or a De Jong but otherwise I’d keep him.

Most of the rest of the OP is a fecking train wreck, and serves as a timely reminder of just how fickle [stupid] some people can be.

Ronaldo is a definite out, but losing Shaw, Dalot, Fred, De Gea, and Rashford on frees is madness. All good players. De Gea needs a salary adjustment but has shown this season he can adapt, and the rest are all good squad players who can fight for a first team place.

We should be cutting Henderson, Tuanzebe, Jones, Williams, Telles, Pellestri, Bailly, AWB, Maguire, Van de Beek, and Ronaldo and replacing them with quality over quantity. A RB to compete with Dalot (like Gusto), a central forward, a centre back to compete with and eventually succeed Varane, a tempo setting midfielder like Barella or De Jong, a serious competitor and/or successor for De Gea, and potentially a wild card slot for any top drawer emerging talents that become available (a “too good to let him go to a rival” scenario).
We must cut the cord with De Gea.
1) He will not agree to a reasonable salary (I'd say about 50% of his current one)
2) He is just not a modern keeper and is not young enough to honestly expect the type of improvements to get him there

whitbyviking

I'd keep Rashford for the year option, he's had a rough time but seems to be progressing back towards his best.

I'd also keep Dalot, he's hugely improved this season and if budget is limited there are much better places to send money.

I'd also keep Fred, unless we were going to receive £20m for him from somebody, he's a good squad option at least and that is what it would cost to replace him.

The rest of them I would drive to various airports and/or northern cities for their reassignments.

tomaldinho1

Assumed this was an old thread that aged badly. Nope from yesterday! Madness.
Yh is really poor form. Just played the best we’ve played in ages and all these names played well.
Ronaldo is off anyway, his contract is up. No one is bothered at all about him leaving.

Fred I think we have an option on as he expires this summer.

pacifictheme

The only one on that list who I agree with is Ronaldo.

The rest have a place in the squad, certainly this and next season.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Let’s bump this thread. Oh. Well, let’s keep it in cold storage in a jar like the brain of some malformed monster as a reminder of some of the most grotesque diversions of the otherwise magnificent Caf.

lysglimt

Scout
I think the point of the OP is that, at some point, something's gotta give. People who genuinely believe that Rashford will accept a renewal on his current wages live in La-La Land. Or that De Gea will be fine with a reduced offer. This isn't how high-paying jobs work. You pay for someone's commitment according to the tone you have already set. If we believe that Rashford is the way forward, he will receive an offer close to the money Sancho is getting. Because that's how much we value our starting winger. Similarly, DDG didn't win the lottery. He's the best paid keeper in the world because the club believes he's the best keeper in the world. Shaw already earns more than the likes of TAA, Robertson, Trippier, and about the same as Cancelo and James. An improved offer will probably make him the best-paid Fullback in the country.

So, OK, we want to keep them because it's too big a job to overhaul the whole squad. This isn't a problem in itself. It becomes one when you want long-term commitment from your players. The infamous "United Tax" is something we're willing to pay because we believe we have found a solution to a certain problem. Leicester didn't "take us to the cleaners" for Maguire. They were clear from day one that he's not for sale. But we actually thought that we had found the leader of our defence for the foreseeable in Harry Maguire. And when you think like that and you want to acquire his services for the next 5-6 years, you have to pay high wages.

Maguire is an easy example because his stock is at an all-time low at the moment. The same applies to the likes of Martial, Rashford and Shaw. When did we put the former two on a combined half a million p/w salary? 2019? Has it paid off, can we say that it was money well-spent? The fact that we're praying to the gods of rain for Martial to stay fit underlines our poor choices more than anything else. Martial was, is, and probably will remain one of the most inconsistent and injury-prone high-earners in football. Shaw has been here since what feels like forever. He's had, what, 1 1/2 good seasons? Sure, make him one of the best-paid FBs in the world. Just keep him "motivated". Judging by what we've witnessed from him in the past, what could possibly go wrong?

In the end, ETH may prove to be our guy for the next decade or so. Maybe he'll transform the side in ways we can't even imagine and achieve wonders with these players, I sincerely hope so because, to tell you the truth, i'm tired. Not of not winning trophies, but of watching us move from one dead-end to another in terms of style and purpose. But if we're doing things wrong and the wage structure needs to be fixed, we'll be forced to make these calls.

And if that's the case, we should do it at the beginning of a manager's tenure and give him some rope. Not when everybody will be fed up with him and will start siding with the (same) players, who will be moaning... again.
Yes but is a 24 year old striker who looks close to being back to his best, the player who has to give ? But you also have to be realistic - you cant have a situation where we can allow 2-3 key-players to walk away for free. Shaw arguably was the best leftback in the P.L 15 months ago .- he doesnt become a bad player overnight. I dont think too much should be put into what happened last season, because clearly something was seriously wrong.

I actually think Maguire will return to be a good player - but he looks broken mentally. Given time he will return - but is he good enough to replace Varane and Martinez, maybe not - but he could be a good backup to have.

What I react to - is the fact that so many of our fans want so many of our players sold - the ones who aren't good enough - fine. But even players who are fairly young and who has proven before that they can be the best. Why not trust Ten Hag to get the best out of them again. DDG, Rashford, Shaw, Fred, McTominay, Martial...they have all shown they can perform against the best opposition. Give them the chance to do it again under Ten Hag.

Yakuza_devils

ETH almost improved all players under him.

Players like Martial, Rashford, Fred, McT, Shaw and even Varane looked done last season and many were happy for them to be sold.

But now we can see that ETH like other world class managers are able to magically improve players.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Yes but is a 24 year old striker who looks close to being back to his best, the player who has to give ? But you also have to be realistic - you cant have a situation where we can allow 2-3 key-players to walk away for free. Shaw arguably was the best leftback in the P.L 15 months ago .- he doesnt become a bad player overnight. I dont think too much should be put into what happened last season, because clearly something was seriously wrong.

I actually think Maguire will return to be a good player - but he looks broken mentally. Given time he will return - but is he good enough to replace Varane and Martinez, maybe not - but he could be a good backup to have.

What I react to - is the fact that so many of our fans want so many of our players sold - the ones who aren't good enough - fine. But even players who are fairly young and who has proven before that they can be the best. Why not trust Ten Hag to get the best out of them again. DDG, Rashford, Shaw, Fred, McTominay, Martial...they have all shown they can perform against the best opposition. Give them the chance to do it again under Ten Hag.
That's fine. And, of course, it is ETH who will have the final say in anything (or, at least, he should be). I believe the OP alludes to the bigger picture. We currently have one of the biggest wage-bills in the world of football, and we have nothing to show for it. We haven't won anything in 5 years. This, in itself, constitutes a problem. It's a clear indication that we're doing something wrong. We can't always blame the manager for everything bad that happens. We also can't expect him to fix everything on his own.

In terms of squad depth and ability, premium wages should get you premium quality. And quality is synonymous with consistency. We don't have consistency. I certainly won't blame you for having faith in any player who goes out on the pitch wearing the red shirt, but that line of thinking is what got us here. We have so many players who have only shown glimpses of what they might become. A lot of times, we have paid up front for "what might be" because, as a family club, we want to secure their services for the long-term. The problem with this tactic is that mistakes, whenever they happen, are costly. The players sit on their contracts and they become comfortable. Even unsellable, if it comes to that.

In short, do i want Rashford, Martial and Sancho to be a success here? Most definitely. Do i believe that we should be paying (close to) a million quid p/w for their services? Right now, sorry, but no. Can Shaw be an important player for us and crucial to our build-up? I think he can. Would i make him next summer the best paid FB in the PL? Again, thanks, but no. Similarly, i appreciate everything Dave has done for us, but making a 30+ shot-stopper the most expensive keeper in the world doesn't sound like a good idea. Again, if you decide to keep them and give them another chance under the new regime, you can't say "sorry, i messed up with your evaluation last time, so please accept a reduced salary" afterwards. You want them, you pay for them according to the standards you have already set. And you go all-in, hoping for the manager to turn them into world beaters. It's a great risk because it relies on too much hope and little evidence. We have an exorbitant wage-bill, but we don't have the team. We can't double the wage-bill, but we need to improve on the squad. Don't swing the axe, no need to be overdramatic. But hoarding players and putting them on huge contracts isn't the answer, either.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
As per this Guardian Article I think United should just get rid of all of them and start the serious rebuilding now. Yes it would take a season or two to get the type of hungry players that want to play for a team like United, but there is no point in giving new contracts to Fred, Shaw, Dalot, or Ronaldo. DeGea is the only one that I would keep. You could make an argument for Rashford, but that is more sentimental than anything. He has been awful since missing the penalty in the Euros final.

Get rid of the lot and start over again. Get players in with something to prove.
awful take

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Dalot looked brilliant last night didn't he? Best I've seen him.
Or was that just me?

Shaw looks back to his better levels, and Rashy looks revitalised.
Heck, even Fred looked the best version of himself.

What a daft time to make this thread.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pretty clear for me that doghouse/unwanted players are:
  • Ronaldo
  • Henderson
  • Wan Bissaka
  • Maguire
  • Jones
  • Van de Beek

el3mel

I think Rashford is also getting back to what he once was, slowly but gradually. He's gaining more confidence and despite still missing chances, he's more active now than he was last 2 seasons or so.

Dalot is the biggest surprise this season now. Ten Hag transformed him. I see no way for AWB anymore in the team. He'll never offer the same support Dalot is offering to other players on his flank.

Funny, I remember back in the day a lot of us used to say both AWB and Maguire will be shifted out of the team as soon as another manager gets the job after Ole. It turned out to be true. Both can't leave the bench now. We wasted a lot of money on both of them.

roseguy64

get off it? It’s a forum dude. I’d like to sign those players. Maybe we won’t get all of them but those would be players I’d choose that are realistic in terms that they would want to come here and are gettable to make our squad depth better. One or two of them would improve us.
I'm not ridiculing you wanting the players. I'm saying you're unrealistic in thinking they'll come cheap.

roseguy64

I think Rashford is also getting back to what he once was, slowly but gradually. He's gaining more confidence and despite still missing chances, he's more active now than he was last 2 seasons or so.

Dalot is the biggest surprise this season now. Ten Hag transformed him. I see no way for AWB anymore in the team. He'll never offer the same support Dalot is offering to other players on his flank.

Funny, I remember back in the day a lot of us used to say both AWB and Maguire will be shifted out of the team as soon as another manager gets the job after Ole. It turned out to be true. Both can't leave the bench now. We wasted a lot of money on both of them.
Both have been injured for the majority of games TBF. Hard to fight for your place like that.