United sign Bebe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilton

What are you really on about?

Firstly why does Fergie have to go and watch every player he signs? There is hardly any footage of third division portuguese football for him to judge a player on. Bebe would have been signed by someone else if he hadnt made an 'impulse' buy. Here he has taken the opinion of Carlos Quieroz who is one of the best authorities on Portuguese footballers in particular and young players in general. Also the club employs scouts for a reason.

You say that this transfer is a potential disaster as we are in debt. By all your arguments any transfer is a potential disaster. So maybe we shoudnt sign anyone till the debt is cleared :wenger:
I never said Fergie has to watch every player he signs. Everyone understands that a club of Uniteds size will have a global network of scouts who report back to the heirachy with potential players. My objection wasn't that we signed Bebe. Or the price we signed him for. But that SAF let on that he hadn't watched the player before, or that it was an impulse buy. I'm not sure why those comments had to be made... Can you explain the rationale behind that? United doesn't owe the media or the fans an explanation as to why they operate the way they do, and this information isn't something that is going to fill anybody except our detractors with confidence.

Remember when Sven let on that he had picked Walcott for the WC without ever having seen him play. What happened there? People questioned Sven till he got fired...so why do it? What possible good comes from telling the world you bought a player without having seen him play?

So, to sum up, my issue wasn't that the transfer took place, but some of the subsequent comments made which I believe will resurface IF (!!) Bebe doesn't make it at the club. They could, and should have been avoided, and for a shrewd manager like Fergie, i think it was a miscalculation which he might come to regret.

As far as my comment of this being a disaster, well that's just a gut feeling. We have a kid nobody knew about who was snapped up by the worlds biggest club. It's a story book tale starring a kid who was playing in the homeless world cup and now could potentially play on the biggest stage in world football. It's just setup for an all mighty fall. And if you don't see that then you've probably been sleeping on how the media in England and indeed the world love to build up a person only to bring him crashing back down to earth when things go wrong.

The disaster if things go wrong won't be just for United or Fergie. The club and managers legacy is firmly secure. But what about the lad himself?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
What are you on about??
Chicharito has come in and had no problems it seems, which makes it difficult on someone who doesn't adapt so quickly. It changes expectations a bit when one player comes in and gets on immediately while the other takes time to adapt to training and whatnot.

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
Why would Bebe be worth £3-4m if he proves to be absolute shite for us?
He was worth £350,000 six weeks ago. All this Madrid were after him shit could just be complete bollox invented by self-interested parties. I hope he does well for everyone's sake but I do have my doubts.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He was worth £350,000 six weeks ago. All this Madrid were after him shit could just be complete bollox invented by self-interested parties. I hope he does well for everyone's sake but I do have my doubts.
well was the marca front page fake or not?..thats not tough to work out. The club thought he was worth the punt. See no reason to feel negative about it. At the end of the day, people are talking about his 'twitter account and that's what any twat wants...i'm not sure if journos give a shit how they get traffic or generate interest.

Wan

I never said Fergie has to watch every player he signs. Everyone understands that a club of Uniteds size will have a global network of scouts who report back to the heirachy with potential players. My objection wasn't that we signed Bebe. Or the price we signed him for. But that SAF let on that he hadn't watched the player before, or that it was an impulse buy. I'm not sure why those comments had to be made... Can you explain the rationale behind that? United doesn't owe the media or the fans an explanation as to why they operate the way they do, and this information isn't something that is going to fill anybody except our detractors with confidence.

Remember when Sven let on that he had picked Walcott for the WC without ever having seen him play. What happened there? People questioned Sven till he got fired...so why do it? What possible good comes from telling the world you bought a player without having seen him play?

So, to sum up, my issue wasn't that the transfer took place, but some of the subsequent comments made which I believe will resurface IF (!!) Bebe doesn't make it at the club. They could, and should have been avoided, and for a shrewd manager like Fergie, i think it was a miscalculation which he might come to regret.

As far as my comment of this being a disaster, well that's just a gut feeling. We have a kid nobody knew about who was snapped up by the worlds biggest club. It's a story book tale starring a kid who was playing in the homeless world cup and now could potentially play on the biggest stage in world football. It's just setup for an all mighty fall. And if you don't see that then you've probably been sleeping on how the media in England and indeed the world love to build up a person only to bring him crashing back down to earth when things go wrong.

The disaster if things go wrong won't be just for United or Fergie. The club and managers legacy is firmly secure. But what about the lad himself?
It's a different kind of game. World Cup, 23 man squad.. and with us, he has 4/5 far better players ahead of him. We won't have to rely on him, like Sven with Walcott.

If it goes wrong, so what? Not the first time a talented kid doesn't make it. Forlan, Poborsky, Veron, Greening etc. And even if he doesn't make it here, he would still have a good career. With the raw ability he has, some teams will make use of him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If he is loaned to a small EPL and he does well there (Feckin Foster was tipped the next Messiah at Watford) then we would be able to recoup 3m out of the guy.

BaldwinLegend

Dare I ask what you're basing your doubts on?

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
well was the marca front page fake or not?..thats not tough to work out. The club thought he was worth the punt. See no reason to feel negative about it. At the end of the day, people are talking about his 'twitter account and that's what any twat wants...i'm not sure if journos give a shit how they get traffic or generate interest.
As Marca is the mouthpiece for Madrid could it not be payback for us scooping up young Hernandez? Simple to organise and worth a punt. As it's all about Shirt Sales for the greedy feckers maybe Madrid have got wind of all those Chicharito shirts selling like hot cakes.

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
Dare I ask what you're basing your doubts on?
doubt –verb (used with object)
1. to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe.

Can anyone say he is more likely to succeed than fail?
Anything is possible but this one is a very very long shot.

dev1l

someone even compared bebe with sven taking walcott to the wc. Well you re not comparing like with like. If bebe flops, all united will be risking is part of the 7m they paid.
When sven took walcott to the wc finals, he was one of just 4 strikers - the others being Crouch and 2 crocked strikers, rooney and owen.
And unlike bebe which is a longer term bet, sven needed someone able to perform at the highest level within three weeks.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
It might work out or it might not. Lets wait and see eh? I suspect many people are upset because they feel he's the reason we didn't get Ozil or [insert name] which isn't the case in all likely hood.

Give him a chance before we discuss how much we might be able to sell him for eh lads?

buckooo1978

i can't believe some of the shite being posted on here

for those who are writing the player off before he kicks a ball for us what the hell is going through your heads.....have some faith in our scouting network and in the guys who have recommended him

writing him off as a failure already - madness

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As Marca is the mouthpiece for Madrid could it not be payback for us scooping up young Hernandez? Simple to organise and worth a punt. As it's all about Shirt Sales for the greedy feckers maybe Madrid have got wind of all those Chicharito shirts selling like hot cakes.
Huh? Well that gets my vote as one of the most preposterous conspiracy theories of the year.

BaldwinLegend

doubt –verb (used with object)
1. to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe.

Can anyone say he is more likely to succeed than fail?
Anything is possible but this one is a very very long shot.
Why have you posted a definition of 'doubt'?

I asked what you were basing them on, not what the word means...

Devilton

someone even compared bebe with sven taking walcott to the wc. Well you re not comparing like with like. If bebe flops, all united will be risking is part of the 7m they paid.
When sven took walcott to the wc finals, he was one of just 4 strikers - the others being Crouch and 2 crocked strikers, rooney and owen.
And unlike bebe which is a longer term bet, sven needed someone able to perform at the highest level within three weeks.
You obviously didn't read properly. I didn't compare Bebe and Walcott as players. I compared Sven and Fergie comments. Sven said he had taken a player he had never seen before. Fergie said he bought a player he had never seen before. I just don't understand why you have to disclose that to the media when nothing good can come from it.

Fergie has always been media savvy (and on more then one occasion known that saying less actually works better). We should have bought the player, said he's one for the future and just got on with it. There wouldn't have been any emphasis on him and no quotes in case the transfer doesn't work out.

My problem with this transfer isn't the transfer itself. I don't have any issues with the fee (we payed more for Smalling who like Bebe hadn't played in a top league before Fulham). I trust our scouts to find good players. My issue is with Fergie being more forthcoming then he needed to be. It's unlike Fergie to let a casual comment like that make a soundbite when it would have been easier just to say nothing.

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
Huh? Well that gets my vote as one of the most preposterous conspiracy theories of the year.
OK Pogue I will remember to add the white text next time...

Seems this thread is descending into he's either gonna be the next Pele or he's the biggest embarassment ever to sign for a club. For the 3rd time I wish the guy luck and I'll wait and see.

dev1l

You obviously didn't read properly. I didn't compare Bebe and Walcott as players. I compared Sven and Fergie comments. Sven said he had taken a player he had never seen before. Fergie said he bought a player he had never seen before. I just don't understand why you have to disclose that to the media when nothing good can come from it.

Fergie has always been media savvy (and on more then one occasion known that saying less actually works better). We should have bought the player, said he's one for the future and just got on with it. There wouldn't have been any emphasis on him and no quotes in case the transfer doesn't work out.

My problem with this transfer isn't the transfer itself. I don't have any issues with the fee (we payed more for Smalling who like Bebe hadn't played in a top league before Fulham). I trust our scouts to find good players. My issue is with Fergie being more forthcoming then he needed to be. It's unlike Fergie to let a casual comment like that make a soundbite when it would have been easier just to say nothing.
nor did i...

i was referring to both sven and fergie saying they haven't seen walcott and bebe respectively playing ...

Sven made a huge mistake because Walcott was one of the two fully fit strikers whom he took to the world cup - and that was incredibly risky considering that the world cup was within 3-4 weeks.

fergie on the other hand is just buying yet another unknown for 7 million which is not a big fee nowadays (not mentioning the low salary of bebe). So the risk is not big as someone is making it. if Bebe (and only if) is a failure, he ll just move on like other players did without the club losing lots of money. and if some big mouth from the press try to ridicule Fergie, he ll just ignore them as usual. (if he didn't do that in the past, he would have been sacked long ago )

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Could someone who follows the reserves start a separate thread to follow his progress?

The tone of this thread is no good and would much rather see us start afresh based on his performances rather than mix it with ramblings over fees, scouting, SAF, club debt, Walcott and what not.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Do we know that he'll be in the reserve squad for it? Hadn't heard anything myself, is all. Good news if he is though.

davisjw

I feel sorry for him. If he doesn't prove what a Pele he is a lynch mob of retards will be awating him.
I have no hope that he develops into a Pele - if he was Pele he'd of already been at a World Cup at his age :D

I just like seeing brand new, young talent that no one/very few have heard of. We've had what 4 failed striker to 1 who has actually made it (The Little Pea) in recent years?

Status
Not open for further replies.