United sign Bebe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

It depends with what preconceptions the person who gave DT "unimpressive" comments went in with.

Here is a guy that has material as the boss said to work with pace, size and 2 footed.

If the person feeding DT goes in thinking that this guy will show enough in his first sessions to warrant a place on the team and he doesn't show that - then to him he'll be unimpressive.

If on the other hand person is judging him based on his ability as a player that can learn and mold and hasn't shown those qualities - then it can be worrying.

Think some people might be expecting him to do enough to warrant a place in the first team this season but, for me this transfer is about a talent was snapped up because once he gets the proper education / training - he could become some player i.e. not one for this season.
We have enough pace and gile... What we really wanted was intellegence and composure. Lets hope the boy has it

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Chicharito has probably made life difficult on him though since he's seemingly blended in with the team and adapted to practice quite easily.

Shimo

What are you on about??
He is on about that Chicha seems to have been a big hit with the players immediately and seems to have settled fairly quickly, that for Bebe to follow him in - it's a tough act to follow.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
He might flop, he might not flop and it's certainly not that great that SAF didn't see him before we signed him.

But let's at least try to be fair to the boy. He hasn't played for us yet and even if he doesn't impress in his first games - more experienced and proven player have needed one or two seasons to adapt to the Premiership. I hate it how young players are branded as flops before they even had a proper chance.

Shimo

But, what if the tweets said that he had impressed ... would people not be going "see SAF seems to know what he is doing".

Lets face it - as the interweb generation - we make a lot of the tweets and information out there even if it doesn't make sense to.

In this case I am choosing to ignore the tweets and choose the more level headed view that it's just his first training sessions and probably got depressed training there ... my iPhone weather app reports rainy and 64 degree weather in Manchester - can you blame him. The boy needs to adjust to such atrocious conditions ;)

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
At £7+ million this could go down as one of Fergies biggest blunders.

He should never have admitted that he'd never seen Bebe play either.

Kelvin

let see him play for us first on the pitch before writing him off.

Mick1991

One thing I can never understand- we don't believe transfer gossip in papers or exclusives on footballers but we believe this? It is a tad selective isn't it?

Garethw

let see him play for us first on the pitch before writing him off.
I'm not writing him off buddy, hence the use of the words "Could be".

I just find the whole transfer odd. Especially after a summer of SAF telling us that there is no value in the transfer market and then signing a complete unknown for a relatively large fee.

IF Bebe does flop then Fergie is going to look a little silly after admitting he'd never even seen the lad play before signing him.

dev1l

so your e criticising fergie for making a decision on player he d never seen playing.

And you re doing the same by passing judgement on a player you ve never seen playing,

at least fergie based his decision on one the advice of his most trusted experts in the field - CQ - and not on a single tweet....

Garethw

so your e criticising fergie for making a decision on player he d never seen playing.

And you re doing the same by passing judgement on a player you ve never seen playing,

at least fergie based his decision on one the advice of his most trusted experts in the field - CQ - and not on a single tweet....
Dude as i have already stated i'm not passing judgement on the player, for all we know he could be a future world player of the year.

All i'm saying is that Fergie has set himself up for some serious ridicule if the player does flop by admitting he'd never even seen the boy play.

championo

Top Stalker
Dude as i have already stated i'm not passing judgement on the player, for all we know he could be a future world player of the year.

All i'm saying is that Fergie has set himself up for some serious ridicule if the player does flop by admitting he'd never even seen the boy play.
Fergie ridicule? Dude, SAF is above such stuff. He has so much capital to spend that this would be nothing and anybody who will want to hold this against him is just plain thick, myopic, unappreciative and just crass.

dev1l

Ridicule?

well it wont be the first time for sure....there are so many sad ppl out there with nothing to do. If it's not bebe, i m sure they ll find something else to have a go at fergie....

Karel_Poborsky

Worst comes to worst we sell him on at either a small profit/loss. It would be a mimic of the Tosic situation one thinks if it did happen, with him not playing etc. We shall have to wait and see.

But there will always be a market for those players who aren't quite lucky enough to make it at our club.

Shimo

Do you think SAF cares if people ridicule him if Bebe doesn't work out after all he has accomplished? Do any of us care if people ridicule him if he gets a few things wrong here and there?

Oh okay some of us might actually do it ourselves thinking we know better and should be in charge at United.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I'd be supprised if SAF watched tosic before buying him having taking such a disliking to his talents once he got here. Hardly the end of the world if he takes the recommendation of a highly trusted scout and a friend who he has worked closely with and knows how he operates.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I am sure its a shock for him right now. Give him 6 months to get used to the training, weather, facilities, players etc. THEN we can have a look at him again. What he needs is time, and patient fans.

Devilton

Why is it a disaster? If he fails and we lose a few mil on it whats the problem? Its not your money and Fergie and Gill obviously feel we can afford a punt.
I said the transfer has disaster written all over it (a potential for disaster), not that it IS A disaster. Fergie should have never said he hadn't watched the kid play, or that it was an impulse buy. Now, everyone and their mothers know that this lad is here on a punt. That would have been fine if his transfer was 1-2 million, but 7 million is a huge transfer fee for someone who is relatively unknown even in his own homeland. I don't see why Fergie should expose the lad to that kind of pressure so early on. We should have got him here with the fee undisclosed, and just blended him into the team under the media and fan radar.

Now if he has a poor first few games the media and some fans will be screaming Ali Dia. United don't need that, and neither does Bebe.

And WTF are you talking about it not being my money...it's MY club. If you honestly believe that you need to have a personal financial stake to voice your opinion about football transfers then 99.99% football fans should just stop talking about players, transfers and tactics. Oh, and 7 million isn't a small amount to turn our nose up at...we're a club that's now focused on getting 'value' in the transfer market. Figure out what that means and you might understand why some people are concerned.

Devilton

Agreed. The problem isn't that he bought the player. I trust Fergie's judgment on football matters, but why did he go and say things like he's an impulse buy, or that he'd never seen him play?

Why did we even disclose the full amount for his transfer? Fergie's never been shy of withholding information from the media to benefit the team, and I wish he had done that in this case. Just say the player has potential and will need time to get used to the united style of play. Done. It's not like Fergie to expose a youngster to the hounds so early in his career. I wish he hadn't because in my opinion it just puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the lad.

twitter thread suggester
Agreed. The problem isn't that he bought the player. I trust Fergie's judgment on football matters, but why did he go and say things like he's an impulse buy, or that he'd never seen him play?

Why did we even disclose the full amount for his transfer? Fergie's never been shy of withholding information from the media to benefit the team, and I wish he had done that in this case. Just say the player has potential and will need time to get used to the united style of play. Done. It's not like Fergie to expose a youngster to the hounds so early in his career. I wish he hadn't because in my opinion it just puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the lad.
We didn't.

Did we?

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
I said the transfer has disaster written all over it (a potential for disaster), not that it IS A disaster. Fergie should have never said he hadn't watched the kid play, or that it was an impulse buy. Now, everyone and their mothers know that this lad is here on a punt. That would have been fine if his transfer was 1-2 million, but 7 million is a huge transfer fee for someone who is relatively unknown even in his own homeland. I don't see why Fergie should expose the lad to that kind of pressure so early on. We should have got him here with the fee undisclosed, and just blended him into the team under the media and fan radar.

Now if he has a poor first few games the media and some fans will be screaming Ali Dia. United don't need that, and neither does Bebe.

And WTF are you talking about it not being my money...it's MY club. If you honestly believe that you need to have a personal financial stake to voice your opinion about football transfers then 99.99% football fans should just stop talking about players, transfers and tactics. Oh, and 7 million isn't a small amount to turn our nose up at...we're a club that's now focused on getting 'value' in the transfer market. Figure out what that means and you might understand why some people are concerned.
I still don't see why it would be a disaster. He's not been bought and is not required immediately for the first team. Our season isn't going to hinge directly on his success or failure. He'll have a sell on value and fergie and gill (the men who actually know how much money we have) think it's worth a punt. As with tosic, if it fails we sell and move on. You're a big fat drama queen.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
it's amazing how things can happen just because of some throw away comment. Maybe the person who wrote it was expecting maradonna? He needs a chance to settle in, learn the language..it's why he won't be playing so you get some gimp saying..right! i'll form an opinion based on a training session knowing that people in general are eager to see what he's all about....

We just have to somehow forget about him until the time he's ready, mentally and physically to play and even then you have to give him games to get fitness and understanding with team mates. Sir Alex should be applauded for taking a risk based on the fact he trusts his staff. Let's not forget, other big clubs were interested....

Devilton

I still don't see why it would be a disaster. He's not been bought and is not required immediately for the first team. Our season isn't going to hinge directly on his success or failure. He'll have a sell on value and fergie and gill (the men who actually know how much money we have) think it's worth a punt. As with tosic, if it fails we sell and move on. You're a big fat drama queen.
Well that's true of everything isn't it? If Berba fails to score more then 1 goal and gets sold we'll move on. Ronaldo leaves and we fail to win another title, we'll move on. Thanks captain Obvious, the rest of us weren't aware that the world keeps turning even after something related to United football club goes pear shaped.

When I say the transfer could be a disaster, it's important to take that in context. It's a relative term. It's not a disaster on the scale of Munich or Heysel. But it's egg on the club face, and it'll be remembered like the transfer of Ali Dia has, years after people even remember what the lad looks like.

And lets be clear, nobody is creating any drama. We're just giving our opinion, you on the other hand seem to hold a position that since it's not directly our money being spent that we don't have a right to discuss the team. That's a strange position for a football fan. Which makes me wonder just how involved with United you really are. Only a part time fan wouldn't care about 7 million being spent on a player when everyone knows united are deep in debt. Your nonchalance doesn't make you look cool, it just paints you out to be someone who doesn't really give a shit.

dev1l

it's amazing how things can happen just because of some throw away comment. Maybe the person who wrote it was expecting maradonna? He needs a chance to settle in, learn the language..it's why he won't be playing so you get some gimp saying..right! i'll form an opinion based on a training session knowing that people in general are eager to see what he's all about....

We just have to somehow forget about him until the time he's ready, mentally and physically to play and even then you have to give him games to get fitness and understanding with team mates. Sir Alex should be applauded for taking a risk based on the fact he trusts his staff. Let's not forget, other big clubs were interested....

It would be interesting to know the real source of that comment. i do not think that Daniel Taylor was in person watching Bebe training. Probably what happened is that someone else passed a comment on bebe and it eventually reached Taylor via two or three other persons. And we all know how passing on a message via word of mouth can distort the original message.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It would be interesting to know the real source of that comment. i do not think that Daniel Taylor was in person watching Bebe training. Probably what happened is that someone else passed a comment on bebe and it eventually reached Taylor via two or three other persons. And we all know how passing on a message via word of mouth can distort the original message.
I reckon they're so obsessed about being seen as important and getting 'rumors' out that they don't honestly care. They shouldn't really print any message because people consider it factual like he's an authority figure. He could have said 'not great so far but 'it's still early days'. Bit more sensible. Also it's written in first person perspective so he seems to be taking credit for it, whoever posts the tweets or perhaps it's more then one person

They try to be 'controversial' all the time to spark debate for their shitty twitter account. He's great. He's shite. He can't even speak English. It's a throwaway comment without a reason why they said that...That's the lame thing for me

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
To me all this hysteria is down to one thing. Dirty cash. £7 million. That is a lot of money for a punt. Had this kid cost a million everyone would say who is this lad and what an amazing story. How much shit would Berbatov have got if he had cost £20 million? A lot less and a much fairer ride (and I'm not a huge fan).

Time to take a chill pill and give the guy a year to find his feet and find a decent pair of boots.

dev1l

To me all this hysteria is down to one thing. Dirty cash. £7 million. That is a lot of money for a punt. Had this kid cost a million everyone would say who is this lad and what an amazing story. How much shit would Berbatov have got if he had cost £20 million? A lot less and a much fairer ride (and I'm not a huge fan).

Time to take a chill pill and give the guy a year to find his feet and find a decent pair of boots.
so there were 4 clubs: us, real madrid and two others competing to fork out "£7 million in dirty cash".....

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
7m are peanuts in todays market. Let me explain. So we got the Bebe guy for 7m right? Presuming that its straight cash (which I doubt that its the case) then if he fail to make an impact we would be able to sell him for lets say 3m (ie 4m loss). That's less then a year salary of a 100k a week player. The problem is NOT the fees being paid but the salaries. That's the main problem in football.

Well that's true of everything isn't it? If Berba fails to score more then 1 goal and gets sold we'll move on. Ronaldo leaves and we fail to win another title, we'll move on. Thanks captain Obvious, the rest of us weren't aware that the world keeps turning even after something related to United football club goes pear shaped.

When I say the transfer could be a disaster, it's important to take that in context. It's a relative term. It's not a disaster on the scale of Munich or Heysel. But it's egg on the club face, and it'll be remembered like the transfer of Ali Dia has, years after people even remember what the lad looks like.

And lets be clear, nobody is creating any drama. We're just giving our opinion, you on the other hand seem to hold a position that since it's not directly our money being spent that we don't have a right to discuss the team. That's a strange position for a football fan. Which makes me wonder just how involved with United you really are. Only a part time fan wouldn't care about 7 million being spent on a player when everyone knows united are deep in debt. Your nonchalance doesn't make you look cool, it just paints you out to be someone who doesn't really give a shit.

Yeah, because bebe not working out has just the same impact as more expensive first team players like berba, ronaldo etc flopping. Do me a favour. Tosic really brought down united didn't he. Oh wait. Using the word disaster seems to imply drama.

In practice bebe failing of succeeding will at best have an enormous positive benefit to the club and at worst next to no impact at all bar the writing off of two or three million quid.

MDFC Manager

What are you really on about?

Firstly why does Fergie have to go and watch every player he signs? There is hardly any footage of third division portuguese football for him to judge a player on. Bebe would have been signed by someone else if he hadnt made an 'impulse' buy. Here he has taken the opinion of Carlos Quieroz who is one of the best authorities on Portuguese footballers in particular and young players in general. Also the club employs scouts for a reason.

You say that this transfer is a potential disaster as we are in debt. By all your arguments any transfer is a potential disaster. So maybe we shoudnt sign anyone till the debt is cleared :houllier:

Status
Not open for further replies.