United sign Bebe

Status
Not open for further replies.

prateik

we did scout him
fergie said he has full faith in his scouts
fergie hasnt seen him play , he heard about him , got the report , there were other clubs interested and we had to rush the deal

or maybe someone has leaked info from the FM11 database and bebe has a PA of 200

datura

To be honest, if that's true, then it really worries me. I find it really hard to believe that we didn't even scout him before spending 7 million on him. Seems a very un-United thing to do. Either he's ridiculously talented or we've made a huge mistake.
Where did you get that we didn't scout him??

SAF:

"Normally I see plenty of video footage but our scouting department is very good and sometimes you have to go on instinct.

"Our scout in Portugal was adamant we must do something quickly."

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Read an interesting article in the New York Times, sod it I'll just quote it.
From the Streets To Old Trafford
The most intriguing move so far in this summer’s soccer transfer period has not been any of the household names stockpiled by Manchester City, Chelsea, Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Rather, it is the gamble that Manchester United has made in paying more than $11.5 million for a street player who has not yet played a game in Portugal’s top league.

The first-division club Vitória Guimarães had signed Tiago Manuel Dias Correia for nothing five weeks earlier. But Manchester United paid the buyout clause in his contract last week when it became known that other big clubs, Real Madrid among them, were sniffing around the striker known simply as Bébé.

The nickname has stuck since childhood, when an older brother called him “baby.” Born to immigrants from Cape Verde, picked up off the streets where they lived a rough life, they were taken as youngsters into a charitable institution, a refuge and orphanage in Loures, north of Lisbon.

By then, the streetwise skills, the improvisation that was so scarce at the World Cup this summer, were bred into Bébé.

“He’s raw material, but we can work with that,” Manchester United Manager Alex Ferguson said. “It’s a fairy tale when you read about his background.

“When we identify someone with potential, we normally assess that over a period of time. But we have a good scout in Portugal, and he’s very bright. He’s got a tremendous instinct about the boy and other clubs were starting to hover on the boy, so we made a quick decision.”

“Sometimes you have to work on an impulse, and we’re good at developing young players,” Ferguson said.

Bébé is not so young. He turned 20 last month, and it was his agent, Jorge Mendes, who guided Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United to Real Madrid. Mendes also represents José Mourinho, who became Real Madrid’s coach this summer.

It would have been Mendes who inserted the buyout clause in Bébé’s contract when he stepped up to Guimarães this summer. Among those whom Ferguson quizzed about Bébé’s potential was Carlos Queiroz, Portugal’s national team coach and a former assistant to Ferguson at Manchester United.

When Ferguson talks of impulse or instinct, he is hoodwinking his audience. Before he signs any player, from a schoolboy to a world-renowned star, he badgers people about the lifestyle, the family, the roots of that individual. And no deal is completed until Manchester United’s doctors have run a battery of tests on the player. Ferguson flew to Lisbon the day before he authorized the signing of Bébé. He was there to provide a character reference for Queiroz, who was accused of having intimidated and insulted doping officials who arrived unannounced in May at Portugal’s training camp before the World Cup.

“He’s a fantastic coach and teacher,” Ferguson told the tribunal. “His main purpose in life is to develop young people, to inspire them and to make sure they turn out good human beings. He’s one of the good guys.”

And a good source of players. Ferguson signed Ronaldo as a teenager from Sporting Lisbon, as well as Anderson and Nani, who are current first-team players at Manchester United. But when Ferguson says his club is good at developing young players, the greatest testimony to that came again at Old Trafford on Monday night.

Manchester United overwhelmed Newcastle, 3-0, in its first match of the season. Paul Scholes, now 35, was the complete playmaker, a man developed from a boy born at the nearby Hope Hospital, now embarking on his 16th season with the club.

When Scholes made his final pass, and Ryan Giggs volleyed the third goal, it was a glorious example of working with raw material. Giggs is 37, starting his 21st season; he has scored in every one of them.

Some legacy, then, for Bébé to live up to.

It is still some journey for a young man who two years ago was hoping to play in the Homeless World Cup. That tournament is for enthusiastic amateurs. The next edition will feature 30,000 players from 64 nations on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro from Sept. 19-26.

“I had the dream of playing one day for a major club,” Bébé said last week. “Football can change lives, very much.”

He might have spoken, in that simple sentence, for millions around the world who are being drawn into projects that use soccer to give street youths hope. The Mathare Youth Sports Association in Kenya has been running since 1987 as a way of diverting youngsters away from hopelessness, drugs, violence and AIDS.

By the sound of it, Bébé could have lost his way but for his talent. “He’s a player who is the fruit of street football,” Jorge Paixão said on Radio Antena 1 last week. Paixão coached Bébé in his one season at Estrela da Amadora in Portugal’s third division before Guimarães signed him as a free agent.

“Nowadays,” Paixão added, “players are schooled in the clubs. He has none of this. He’s old school. He learned to play in the street and has that natural creativity. He improvises because he has quality and a set of characteristics that are difficult to find in a single player — he is tall, good in the air, technically gifted, fast and strong.”

Bébé, who is 6 feet 2 inches, can play wing or striker.

Time will tell whether he adapts to Manchester’s team play. He must learn his first words of English. He must adapt to climate, training and expectations.

Paixão, his former coach, has identified the prime asset: improvisation. I remember Sandor Barcs, the president of Hungary’s soccer federation during the Magical Magyars era of the 1950s, explaining decades later why Hungary lost that magic.

“Listen,” Barcs said in a Budapest street. “What do you hear?” There was nothing but the sound of traffic. “What we had back then was boom, boom, boom. Everywhere, you would see kids kicking the ball, or an improvised ball, against the walls or railings. When you lose that, you lose the level of play.
and that is something that interests me greatly. We have a very by the numbers system appearing in Football now, we do seem to have less characters and more proffessionals. Lets hope this lad can express himself fully.

Decotron

Bebe joy at United move
Ferguson admits he never saw new signing play
Last updated: 18th August 2010

Bebe admits joining Manchester United is a 'dream come true' and is hoping he can emulate the achievements of his Portuguese compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo.

United agreed a £7million deal to sign the 20-year-old from Vitoria Guimaraes and the move to Old Trafford has capped a meteoric rise for Bebe.

He had only been with Guimaraes for five weeks and had previously been playing in the Portuguese third division with Estrela Amadora.

The winger is now determined to grasp his opportunity in the Premier League and has his sights set on repeating the impact made by other players who have moved from Portugal to United.

"To come to a team like Manchester United is a dream come true for any player," said Bebe.

"The Portuguese factor at Old Trafford was a motivation for me.

"You have very big names like Cristiano Ronaldo who has played here and is a very big player now. Nani and Anderson are still at the club.

"I want to become like them and I will work hard to become a top quality player."

Real Madrid were also reportedly interested in Bebe and Sir Alex Ferguson admits he abandoned his usual transfer policy when pushing through the deal.

"On this occasion I didn't watch him," said the United boss. "It is the first time I have done it.

"Normally I see plenty of video footage, but our scouting department is very good and sometimes you have to go on instinct.

"Our scout in Portugal was adamant we must do something quickly.

"You look at the material. You look at their age and whether they're bringing pace, balance, desire to play.

"You've got to trust your staff at times, so I sent David Gill down there to do the deal."

032Devil

“before christmas everybody will know his name”

Apologises if this has already been posted:

"Before Christmas everybody will know his name" | United Rant

Manchester United’s acquisition of Tiago Manuel Dias Correia - Bébé – for £7.4 million last week adds an attacking talent to Sir Alex Ferguson’s roster at Old Trafford. But the surprise nature of the deal, which was sealed in two days, left an information vacuum on the player who appeared in the Portuguese third division last season.

Indeed, the player’s rise to fame, fortune and the biggest stage in world football has come about with such remarkable speed that little is known by supporters about the player or his background aside from the widely reported fact that Bébé – orphaned as a child – spent time both in a children’s home and on the streets.

United’s manager described the player’s move as a fairytale given Bébé’s humble background and limited experience of professional football.

“It is one of those things that happens when you identify someone with potential. Normally you would assess someone over a longer period of time but other clubs were starting to have a look so we made a quick decision,” said Ferguson, who first met the player last Tuesday and has never seen the 20-year old perform live.

The quick decision on the player has brought a talented if callow player to Old Trafford; following the footsteps of Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson in moving from Portuguese football north to Manchester.

“He’s an Under-19 Portuguese international who is very flexible and can play several positions on the field,” says Ricardo Valente, President of the Manchester United Supporters Club in Portugal, who is one of the few reds to have actually seen Bébé play live.

“Bébé is not a pure striker like Van Nistelrooy, Cole or even Hughes but he can play behind a striker and get some goals. He’s more a winger, who can be used on both flanks like Nani.”

He is a team player, adds Valente, who is quick, has good feet, and can both score goals and provide assists. In this Bébé is more likely to provide competition for Antonio Valencia and Nani, alongside Gabriel Obertan and Ji-Sung Park, than United’s striking contingent.

But Valente adds a warning that although undoubtedly talented Bébé will require time away from the spotlight. Indeed, Ferguson echoed these words saying there’s little need to rush the player, who is yet to play a minute of competitive football above Portuguese third division level.

“The boy is not ready to play right now, he will need some time to adapt to United’s culture, understand our history and tradition, get to know his team mates and staff, and learn to speak English,” warns Valente.

“He’s not a player for United’s present; he’s a player for our future. The staff will now work on the boy and we could see some developments later in the season.

“But for now Nani, Rafael, Fábio and Anderson will help him to understand team mates.”

Cultural adaptation may indeed require time, with Bébé yet to speak any English, unlike motormouth Mexican recruit Javier Hernández whose excellent language skills already match those on the pitch.

United’s patience, says Valente, will be rewarded in a player for whom Real Madrid was just one of four clubs offering Vitória de Guimarães a transfer fee. In the end Bébé chose Old Trafford over the competition.

“It’s an opportunity that has been given to me and I must grab it,” said Bébé today at Old Trafford.

“The strong Portuguese links here were a big thing for me. Ronaldo played here and he became a great player. Also, Nani and Anderson are here and I want to be like them and work hard to become a good player.”

Bébé’s rise to prominence has been so meteoric – he joined Vitória de Guimarães less than two months ago – that United’s scouting department missed out on the free transfer by a matter of weeks.

But the Portuguese league, although lacking success at European level since Porto’s Champions League win in 2004 under Jose Mourinho’s guidance, has become a feeding ground for talented youngsters, with the number of scouts from top clubs increasing in recent years.

“Top European teams are paying more attention to Portuguese League,” adds Valente.

“Some of them like Real Madrid, Olympique Lyon, Chelsea, AC Milan and United started sending their scouts on permanent basis to watch young players.

“Vitória de Guimarães’ president confirmed that seven top clubs were following Bébé. After five or six pre-season matches he was playing well and by then every scout knew him. United came and paid the money, like they did for Nani and Anderson.”

Although former United assistant manager Carlos Quieroz twice spoke with Ferguson about the transfer the real credit for the discovery goes to Toninho Cruz, the Portuguese scout hired by the Red Devils back in 2004. Indeed, Cruz has become a major asset to United in the region, adds Valente.

The £7.4 million fee and player’s lack of experience make the transfer high risk nonetheless. In the end, that great scouting will only prove value for money if the player makes it at Old Trafford.

Ferguson, of course, has built a reputation for developing younger players and bringing them through into the first team. The Scot has staked this season on a faith in youth – both those brought in at expense and players, such as Tom Cleverley, developed in United’s academy.

“Bébé will have the same treatment that others in the past, the boy will follow their lead and settle well at the club. He just needs some time now to understand what Manchester United is all about,” says Valente.

“But before Christmas everybody will know his name – and you can put that on paper.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Where did you get that we didn't scout him??

SAF:

"Normally I see plenty of video footage but our scouting department is very good and sometimes you have to go on instinct.

"Our scout in Portugal was adamant we must do something quickly."
I was just replying to the post I quoted that suggested we didn't.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Apologises if this has already been posted:

He is a team player, adds Valente, who is quick, has good feet, and can both score goals and provide assists.
Should've signed this guy instead.

Shimo

Would be good for us to see him but, I don't think till at least he gets to speak a little bit of English or at least train, we'll see him in matches.

They need to be able to communicate with him to some degree before he can play matches. Yes, you aren't talking that much but, even to be given instructions by the coaches or to be told where to setup for set pieces etc - they need to be able to at least do that during matches.

Not sure how it's worked in the past for people that don't speak a word of English but, would think a period of settling down and having an understanding will come first.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm not sure english matters to that huge a degree in terms of getting in the first team early on. Obviously, long term, it'll need to be learned, but I'm pretty sure Anderson and Nani didn't know much, Ronaldo was still saying "I score goal, play football, is nice" in his last season with us. As long as there's someone in the dressing room that can help out with orders and stuff, he should be okay. I think that the thing preventing him playing matches early on will just be his adaption to playing for a club of this stature. Few outings early on for the reserves and then straight in with the seniors, I'd reckon.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
you'd still give him a bj though you dirty rascals.......That goes to anyone mentioning his looks. It's amazing the things people pay attention to. Get a room...pervs :)

Shimo

I'm not sure english matters to that huge a degree in terms of getting in the first team early on. Obviously, long term, it'll need to be learned, but I'm pretty sure Anderson and Nani didn't know much, Ronaldo was still saying "I score goal, play football, is nice" in his last season with us. As long as there's someone in the dressing room that can help out with orders and stuff, he should be okay. I think that the thing preventing him playing matches early on will just be his adaption to playing for a club of this stature. Few outings early on for the reserves and then straight in with the seniors, I'd reckon.
Yeah but, even with those players, when they came and by the time they played their first game - they had been here for enough time that at least some of the basics will have been figured out.

For heading to Dublin tomorrow for reserves - how does OGS convey to him what he wants to do on the pitch - they haven't spent much time. Once in the game if he is trying to tell players something or them tell him something - how do they do that? At least once a little time is spent in training - some sort of rapport will have built up where you know what a player wants or the coach wants and vice versa.

I just think it will be a couple weeks before we see him in any squad - while they settle him into United. Could be wrong though.

McCool

Winner of the 'Real Caftards Fantasy Football Leag
Polemic.

redwhiteblack

We're buying players for 7 and a half million that our manager hasn't even seen on a fecking TV screen!?

That's fecking ridiculous. Seriously.

Add to that the Tosic/Llajic debacle and it's enough to make you blush.

x42bn6

We're buying players for 7 and a half million that our manager hasn't even seen on a fecking TV screen!?

Our scout in Portugal was adamant and Queiroz recommended him. Other teams were interested. Fergie had to make a move - quickly.

He has to trust his staff, after all...

redwhiteblack

Our scout in Portugal was adamant and Queiroz recommended him. Other teams were interested. Fergie had to make a move - quickly.

He has to trust his staff, after all...
Yeah, I've read the quotes. But c'mon, it's fecking ridiculous.

To spend that much on a kid we must've been following him for a season at least, and at no time during our interest did Fergie find 2 minutes to sit down and watch some footage of the boy!!??

I'm gobsmacked by that statement from Fergie. It's probably the ultimate muppet/FM approach to transfers!

Shimo

Don't forget to add that he was an orphan and homeless at one point and didn't learn football at a place like the Clairfontaine Academy but, on the streets.

Welcome to the thread.

dev1l

That's why the club employs scouts, not to mention how Fergie rates Queiroz knowledge about players.

hungrywing

Don't forget to add that he was an orphan and homeless at one point and didn't learn football at a place like the Clairfontaine Academy but, on the streets.

Welcome to the thread.
Plus that 7m proves (well, Smalling and Hernandez did it first) that Ljajic really was nixed because of non-financial reasons. The positives just keep adding up for Bebe.

Shimo

Even labeling Tosic/Ljajic as a debacle is a bit much.

The system we employ nor the people that are a part of it are perfect. At times they'll make suggestions and won't come off, other times they will. Nevermind that the people we do see us go in for are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to scouting.

We don't know how many umpteen people our scouts might have missed or even that perhaps scouts sent reports to the boss saying - hey boss - this guy we must really look at and boss looks at him and says nah, not good enough and moves on. That player might have been a player of quite some ability now but, we passed on them. But, we move on.

Then there are players we do go in for that don't work out. It's not an exact science - you go with your gut - i.e. what your experience tells you. In this case SAF gut seems to have told him trust the scout and the other resources before we lose out. Take a gamble. Hey I've got they money to do with what I want. Maybe in a year or 3 time he'll be mint.

Don't go overboard when a player doesnt' work out and don't make it seem like the United are flawless in identifying players when we do manage to find some gems. For the most part our system which includes from the scouts up to the manager have done a very good job in getting good players for the team.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
That's why the club employs scouts, not to mention how Fergie rates Queiroz knowledge about players.
Scouts are there to discover talent, because obviously SAF can't be everywhere. It's also nice to see that he trusts our scouting network.

Still, it's a bit pathetic. If City or Liverpool bought a player for 8 millions without the manager ever having seen them play even once, we would laugh at them. It does look quite unprofessional.

redwhiteblack

Well, it seems utterly ridiculous to me. And highly questionable approach to transfers.

The whole "SAF knows best" mantra that's become so popular on these boards over the last 2 years will have to go out of the window as well if we're signing players now that Fergie hasn't even seen on a TV.

"Nameless scout knows best".

BaldwinLegend

Still, it's a bit pathetic. If City or Liverpool bought a player for 8 millions without the manager ever having seen them play even once, we would laugh at them. It does look quite unprofessional.
Can you explain to me why anyone, least of all a United fan, would question United signing a Portugese player that Carlos Queiroz recommended to Alex Ferguson?

To me, it's beyond discussion. If someone like Queiroz, who knows United and what they need/want inside out, suggests to SAF that he should buy Bebe then why question it?

You can hardly question Queiroz's track record when it comes to recommending young Portugal-based players to United.

In answer to your post, if City or Liverpool bought a young Portugese player for 8m, based on the recommendation of CQ, I'd think they were very probably getting something exciting and worth watching.

BaldwinLegend

Well, it seems utterly ridiculous to me. And highly questionable approach to transfers.

The whole "SAF knows best" mantra that's become so popular on these boards over the last 2 years will have to go out of the window as well if we're signing players now that Fergie hasn't even seen on a TV.

See my post above. 'Utterly ridiculous', 'nameless scout'?

Why suspect the worst, that we'd have an incompetent scout?

Why do you purposely overlook the fact that SAF sought out CQ's opinion on the player as well? Do you agree that no one knows more about United and Portugese players than CQ? SO why not trust his view?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Queiroz who is generally a good judge of youngster's potential also recommended this player along with our scout and also can't see what's wrong with "SAF knows best" mantra at-least it's better than the "Let's have a moan at everything" mantra which have been on these boards ever since we failed to win the premiership in the last year.

Also the fact that Madrid and other big clubs were behind this lad tells me that this guy must have SOMETHING that it appealed to every other big club's scouting dept.

Shimo

Scouts are there to discover talent, because obviously SAF can't be everywhere. It's also nice to see that he trusts our scouting network.

You've never known a senior person in a business to go completely off the recommendation of someone they trust? Why is it unprofessional - perhaps highly risky but, don't see what is unprofessional about it.

Delegation is a common practice in a lot of professional circles. This is a case of a player came to the fore that was being scouted and perhaps if we didn't pull the trigger right away, we would have lost him. He isn't a player we need right now in the squad - so would you say it would have been more professional of the boss to take a several hours analyzing video of him to decide when he has the season to prepare for or that he puts his trust in people that he has probably signed off on himself to scout for him?

It's still a case of SAF knows best - Bebe still hasn't played a game for us, maybe once he trains and plays for the reserves, he may never turn out for us. SAF will know best though if he plays for us and continues to play for us down the road.

He still knows best as to who to trust and who to bring in and what is best for the club. We all like to think we know what is and who would be - but, SAF is the one person that is best positioned out of any of us to decide what is best for the club.

Saying he knows best doesn't mean he is right - it just is that he is the most qualified person to make the decisions. The statement still holds true regardless if he makes a gaff or 5.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest

One thing you cant question too much is Fergie's instinct. He gets most transfers correct. Cantona, Giggsy, Scholesy & co, Rooney, Ruud and Ronaldo to name a few. But he is entitled to get it wrong once a while. If you are referring to Berba, he isnt actually a bad signing. If he didnt come to OT, I bet the other big teams would have surely came running after him sooner or later. Hew was on fire at Spurs. He still have time and we know he has a great footballing ability. It is just not happening consistently for him yet. Anyway, the last 2 seasons are not that bad, we won the league the season before and just lost out to Chelsea last season.

decorativeed

One thing you cant question too much is Fergie's instinct. He gets most transfers correct. Cantona, Giggsy, Scholesy & co, Rooney, Ruud and Ronaldo to name a few. But he is entitled to get it wrong once a while. If you are referring to Berba, he isnt actually a bad signing. If he didnt come to OT, I bet the other big teams would have surely came running after him sooner or later. Hew was on fire at Spurs. He still have time and we know he has a great footballing ability. It is just not happening consistently for him yet. Anyway, the last 2 seasons are not that bad, we won the league the season before and just lost out to Chelsea last season.
:confused:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto

I'm sure he'd be delighted if you could adapt this Portuguese classic to a chant for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.