United's treble winners remain the best in Prem history

keithsingleton

Celebrating City unable to do a 'proper' treble of League, FA Cup and Champions League, thanks to Chelsea. City's semi final loss means the quadruple is thankfully gone. But even if they win League, Champions League and League Cup, they cannot whatever happens be considered an equal of the United treble winning side

Cracking open the beer. Sorry. It matters.
My thinking too. :) If they now go on and do the other treble it will always be known as the Micky Moise treble :lol: As that's what we call the league cup when fans go out of it.:D

Josep Dowling

Even if City eventually win the treble, the biggest achievement from it was the fact a large part of the team were from United’s youth team. That’s something City will never be able to achieve no matter how many billions they pump into the squad.

UDontMessWith24

I know it’s blasphemy but I think the 07/08 team was better overall. The Keane/Scholes midfield is untouchable, as is prime Giggsy but in 2007 we had two of the top 10 center backs and arguably the most terrifying front three in PL history. The most remarkable thing about both teams is it was the first time the attackers played together and they were completely in sync.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I can see what you mean. Barcelona, Bayern (at two different stages) Inter and Juve was an insane lot to best and Arsenal were pretty decent that year as well.

But, also, there's no team with Iniesta, Xavi and Messi there. Teams have definitely faced higher levels of opposition.
No they haven't, not with such consistency throughout the last 4 months of competition. Zidane, Inzaghi, Rivaldo, Figo, Ronaldo, Matthaus, Khan, Bergkamp, Viera, Deschamps, Davids, Owen,the cream of the crop, iconic names. Even a young Xavi was in the Barcelona team.

In the FA cup, we had to go through Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal to get to the final against Newcastle.

No other team has had such a run of games.

Longshanks

I can see what you mean. Barcelona, Bayern (at two different stages) Inter and Juve was an insane lot to best and Arsenal were pretty decent that year as well.

But, also, there's no team with Iniesta, Xavi and Messi there. Teams have definitely faced higher levels of opposition.
I mean juve did have zidane, deschamps, conte,inzaghi and davids, hardly cloggers.

I'd argue that no team has faced as hard a run to the cl final since.

Can you imagine drawing a group with barca and bayern in? And then getting through it only to face inter then juve? Even now when the Italian league isnt as strong that would be brutal, in 99 the Italian league was the best in the world and had the worlds best players playing in it. And juve were largely regarded as the best side in europe.

Compare city's run this season to the semis they havent faced anyone near to the quality of 99 barca/bayern/juve/inter.
Not even close.

GueRed

I know it’s blasphemy but I think the 07/08 team was better overall. The Keane/Scholes midfield is untouchable, as is prime Giggsy but in 2007 we had two of the top 10 center backs and arguably the most terrifying front three in PL history. The most remarkable thing about both teams is it was the first time the attackers played together and they were completely in sync.
I think the 2008 team was better as well. Nine years after the Treble Fergie was also tactically a better manager too. We were a more refined and tactically asute team.

The 1999 team however gave us the best season in the history of the club and the history of English football. That team was swashbuckling as feck. A lot of teams were overwhelmed by our relentless attacking play…It often left us exposed at the back but made an all more exciting ride. I’ll never forget that season. I was on a high for the rest of that year!

Hopefully we and especially younger fans can experience such greatness again, you’ll be delirious.

Mainoldo

08 was better. We had arguably one of the greatest players of all time. That alone does it.

Marwood

The 99 treble was so amazing due to sheer difficulty of the run in the league, cup and a killer group in the CL. All this mixed in with some last minute heroics.

If Pep went on to win the quad this year it would have been so uninspired. No tough away games in empty stadiums, no atmosphere....just boring.
Yep came here to say the same.

It's not just the number of trophies, it's also how they're won.

Except for the random results at the beginning of the season this has been a pretty boring year.

GueRed

Yep came here to say the same.

It's not just the number of trophies, it's also how they're won.

Except for the random results at the beginning of the season this has been a pretty boring year.
Covid football can get in the bin.

redmanx

The 99 treble was so amazing due to sheer difficulty of the run in the league, cup and a killer group in the CL. All this mixed in with some last minute heroics.

If Pep went on to win the quad this year it would have been so uninspired. No tough away games in empty stadiums, no atmosphere....just boring.
But City and the mainly anti United media would have seen it as the greatest event in the history of world football.

wolvored

I have a relation that supports the Arse and he says purely on premiership alone the invincibles were the best prem team. I think the 99 treble team obviously. Pity we couldn't have had at least one season as the invincibles. I remember Keane saying that in the summer of 99 that the only targets left were winning the quadruple and going a season without losing . At that time I really thought we could do it.

redmanx

I think our 2007/08 team beats the ‘99 Treble winners, for what it’s worth.

Both out on their own as best teams in the Premier League era, for me, with Arsenal ‘97/98 and Chelsea ‘04/05 fighting it out for third spot.

We have been blessed as United fans over the years with the teams we’ve had the pleasure of following.
No they haven't, not with such consistency throughout the last 4 months of competition. Zidane, Inzaghi, Rivaldo, Figo, Ronaldo, Matthaus, Khan, Bergkamp, Viera, Deschamps, Davids, Owen,the cream of the crop, iconic names. Even a young Xavi was in the Barcelona team.

In the FA cup, we had to go through Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal to get to the final against Newcastle.

No other team has had such a run of games.
Well said, I get really sick of hearing about how its so much harder today, how the opposition is tougher, standards higher etc. We played and beat top, top teams in every competition, we had no easy games, no "gimmes" Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leeds were the pick of our PL opposition but every team was hard and difficult to play against. Same in the CL and FA Cup, nobody gave us anything.

buckooo1978

delighted with that result yesterday

even if they had they aren't in the same class as us I think.

Look at the season holistically. Look at those Inter, Juve and Bayern teams. Look at our FA cup run, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. That was a great Arsenal side that pushed us all the way. And half our team made up of academy graduates.

awesome

Acole9

Outstanding
I think that team was better too.

van Persie

I don't think it's fair to judge 99 with 08 based on which teams they played

Rooney, Tevez and Cristiano as the front tree is just insane. Not to mention Vidic, Ferdinand, VDS, Evra.. the list goes on. That team would bend over the recent City and Liverpool teams any day of the week, all week

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I would have loved a 2nd treble in 2008, but even if we had won it for me it wouldn’t have beaten the 99 treble.
The opposition we faced in 99 in CL and FA Cup as well as the circumstances were tougher than in 2008.

If someone told you in the summer of 98 that in the CL we would be in a group with Bayern and Barça and in the knock out games we would play Inter and Juve with the 2nd leg away against both teams, plus final against Bayern without Keane and Scholes, and in the FA Cup we would be facing Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, you would have said “better luck next year”.

If in the summer of 2007 someone told you our opponents in CL and FA Cup for the coming season and that in the CL we would be playing all knock out stage 2nd leg games at home, you would have said “not easy, but hey, name on the trophies”.

RedDevilRoshi

I would have loved a 2nd treble in 2008, but even if we had won it for me it wouldn’t have beaten the 99 treble.
The opposition we faced in 99 in CL and FA Cup as well as the circumstances were tougher than in 2008.

If someone told you in the summer of 98 that in the CL we would be in a group with Bayern and Barça and in the knock out games we would play Inter and Juve with the 2nd leg away against both teams, plus final against Bayern without Keane and Scholes, and in the FA Cup we would be facing Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, you would have said “better luck next year”.

If in the summer of 2007 someone told you our opponents in CL and FA Cup for the coming season and that in the CL we would be playing all knock out stage 2nd leg games at home, you would have said “not easy, but hey, name on the trophies”.
I was a bit too young at the time but how on Earth did we end up in a group with both Bayern & Barca? Was seeding not a thing back then when it came to draws and it was a case of all the teams in the one pot?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s a ridiculous achievement. Even if City did do the quad this year, all but one of their players was bought. We won the treble & half of our squad were academy graduates. Simply incredible & will never be replicated.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

It’s been 13 years & I still get pissed off thinking about that Portsmouth game.

Ranchero

It’s a ridiculous achievement. Even if City did do the quad this year, all but one of their players was bought. We won the treble & half of our squad were academy graduates. Simply incredible & will never be replicated.
The Celtic (Lisbon Lions) side that won the 1967 European Cup with all players from the country the club was based will DEFINITELY never be replicated. More incredibly, the squad with the exception of one player, were all born within a 10-mile radius of Celtic Park. The exception was Bobby Lennox who was born in Saltcoats, Ayrshire a mere 30 miles from the city.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I was a bit too young at the time but how on Earth did we end up in a group with both Bayern & Barca? Was seeding not a thing back then when it came to draws and it was a case of all the teams in the one pot?
Tbh I have no idea, however we were probably in pot 2 or something as we didn’t win our league in 98. Plus there were less groups and even then only the group winners plus the two best placed 2nd teams in the groups advanced to knock out stage.

Crustanoid

I think taking everything into account (pl years only):

In this order:
1999 United team
2004 invincibles
2008 United
2020 Liverpool
2009 United (they came close to five trophies)
2015 Leicester
1998 Arsenal double

Then a separate category for oil-fuelled plastic teams, but that’s pretty irrelevant so no point putting it in any order

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

The Celtic (Lisbon Lions) side that won the 1967 European Cup with all players from the country the club was based will DEFINITELY never be replicated. More incredibly, the squad with the exception of one player, were all born within a 10-mile radius of Celtic Park. The exception was Bobby Lennox who was born in Saltcoats, Ayrshire a mere 30 miles from the city.
Amazing achievement. Although football was different back then. We had a huge academy graduate presence in our 99 team when our rivals were importing their best players from abroad. Not taking away from Celtic, but I honestly think given the time we did it our treble was more impressive.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Amazing achievement. Although football was different back then. We had a huge academy graduate presence in our 99 team when our rivals were importing their best players from abroad. Not taking away from Celtic, but I honestly think given the time we did it our treble was more impressive.
In 1968, nine of the 12-man squad came through our youth system. Tony Dunne arrived as an 18 year-old and played in our juniors for a spell so only Stepney and Crerand were imports from other clubs.

norm87cro

The 99 team had it's ups and downs. They were not that dominant all the time but they managed to nick every single competition. They won the PL by a point, came back from a 0 2 in Turin and beat Arsenal and Liverpool in the most dramatic fashion in the cup. But I guess that is what makes football such a magical game and why we remember that team so fondly. IMO not the strongest United team but still my favorite

Yagami

Good post resistant

In this order:
1999 United team
2004 invincibles
2008 United
2020 Liverpool
2015 Leicester
1998 Arsenal double

Then a separate category for oil-fuelled plastic teams, but that’s pretty irrelevant so no point putting it in any order
If we're hypothetically talking about league only, you'd have to put Arsenal top, imo.

If we're taking the individual teams season as a whole into consideration, I'd put our 07/08 team 2nd ahead of Arsenal.

flappyjay

Feck me we might never win the champions league again or do a treble again. Feck the super league.

Crustanoid

If we're hypothetically talking about league only, you'd have to put Arsenal top, imo.

If we're taking the individual teams season as a whole into consideration, I'd put our 07/08 team 2nd ahead of Arsenal.
I’m thinking the whole season (all trophies). Yeah it’s close but I guess being unbeaten is something we / nobody else has done

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Even if City had won the quadruple it'd be a meaningless financially doped irrelevance.

But...it's good they can't match us this year. :)

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Of course. The great man goes without saying, but I need to give some credit to Keane too. We had players who never ever wilted, but we need to credit some of that to Keane. His attitude, just wow, you can’t not win things when you have someone a good as him, but also as inspirational as him as captain. For some reason I can’t remember who replaced Kidd as assistant manager when he left for Blackburn mid-season, but it might as well have been Keane.
Steve McClaren.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

In this order:
1999 United team
2004 invincibles
2008 United
2020 Liverpool
2015 Leicester
1998 Arsenal double

The 'Invincibles' (who lost more games overall than a number of other PL teams have, and finished the undefeated league season with quite a few less points than others have done since) aren't even in the top 5 IMO.

Our two CL winning teams are the top dogs, with the next three spots being fought over by Chelsea in the first couple of years of Mourinho's reign and the recent City and Liverpool teams.

RedMarcus

I couldn't help but quietly celebrate when City's Quadruple/Treble was off for another year. I was gutted when Leicester equalled the 9-0 record, but at least we have two of those now. These things matter.

Irwin99

I'd put Jose's first Chelsea team and the recent Liverpool and City teams above the Invincibles as they all won the biggest trophies in back to back seasons (either retaining the title or winning a champions league and then winning the league) . That Chelsea team was pretty close to winning the quadruple in 06/07 too if i remember correctly.

Best teams were the 99 United side and the 08 team.

wolvored

Even as remarkable was Malmö a part time squad reaching the final in 79/80. You could never see that happening again.

snk123

Clutching at straws. Nobody apart from us would care and everyone has already forgotten that City are mercenary c***. So all hopes on PSG to stop city from winning the treble imo.