United's treble winners remain the best in Prem history

Ranchero

Celebrating City unable to do a 'proper' treble of League, FA Cup and Champions League, thanks to Chelsea. City's semi final loss means the quadruple is thankfully gone. But even if they win League, Champions League and League Cup, they cannot whatever happens be considered an equal of the United treble winning side

Cracking open the beer. Sorry. It matters.

Whiteside '85

100%

It's still our treble. Shows how massive an achievement it was that City and their billions still keep falling short.

Northstand

100%

It's still our treble. Shows how massive an achievement it was that City and their billions still keep falling short.
“Falling short” is an understatement, isn’t it? City haven’t yet come close to a PL/CL double; though that’s changing this year.

RashyForPM

English football history*

Schmeichel
Neville Stam Johnson Irwin
Beckham Keane Scholes Giggs
Yorke Cole

Teddy and Ole to bring on whenever in need of a goal.

Put this team up against any English team since football was invented in hypothetical one-off games, and our boys would come out on top in every single one. I’m absolutely sure of that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nobody but Sir Alex has won it 3 times in a row (and we did it multiple times). Nobody else has won the league and CL double. Nobody else has won the treble. Nobody else has done both in separate groups of 3 title wins in a row.

It was never in any doubt. Our 99 team is untouchable and the 2008 team is right behind, both far above any other premier league side.

Brightonian

English football history*

Schmeichel
Neville Stam Johnson Irwin
Beckham Keane Scholes Giggs
Yorke Cole

Teddy and Ole to bring on whenever in need of a goal.

Put this team up against any English team since football was invented in hypothetical one-off games, and our boys would come out on top in every single one. I’m absolutely sure of that.
Because of their quality but also because of the name which isn't listed there, Ferguson, who instilled a mentality which would allow them to overcome any opponent, even a 'better' one.

This City side play some brilliant football, there's no denying it. They are winning trophies. But they don't have that special mentality. Even our current side can beat them, more often than not, now that we have a man who understands how to instil that mentality because he learnt it from the great man himself.

flappyjay

We also the only ones to win a league and Champions league double.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I think our 2007/08 team beats the ‘99 Treble winners, for what it’s worth.

Both out on their own as best teams in the Premier League era, for me, with Arsenal ‘97/98 and Chelsea ‘04/05 fighting it out for third spot.

We have been blessed as United fans over the years with the teams we’ve had the pleasure of following.

van Persie

What City does will never really matter to me knowing what brought them their success but all good

RashyForPM

Because of their quality but also because of the name which isn't listed there, Ferguson, who instilled a mentality which would allow them to overcome any opponent, even a 'better' one.

This City side play some brilliant football, there's no denying it. They are winning trophies. But they don't have that special mentality. Even our current side can beat them, more often than not, now that we have a man who understands how to instil that mentality because he learnt it from the great man himself.
Of course. The great man goes without saying, but I need to give some credit to Keane too. We had players who never ever wilted, but we need to credit some of that to Keane. His attitude, just wow, you can’t not win things when you have someone a good as him, but also as inspirational as him as captain. For some reason I can’t remember who replaced Kidd as assistant manager when he left for Blackburn mid-season, but it might as well have been Keane.

ItDoesntEvenMata

Celebrating City unable to do a 'proper' treble of League, FA Cup and Champions League, thanks to Chelsea. City's semi final loss means the quadruple is thankfully gone. But even if they win League, Champions League and League Cup, they cannot whatever happens be considered an equal of the United treble winning side

They were always going to remain the best in Premier League history anyway...

The Class of 92 compared to essentially a brand new club built and rebuilt with money sourced from human rights abusers and slave labour...

OldSchoolManc

Lived and loved every moment of that season. But the thing is, I don’t know of a single United fan that ‘expected’ it to happen.
It really was down to the wire.
Yet, season after season, City fans ‘expect’ to win a quadruple or something. It’s truly embarrassing, especially when you see the meltdown after they fail.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
A proper treble,
Superb achievement from a great team.
Not sure who can come close to that team to be honest

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I didn't want them to win the treble/quadruple but bloody hell this is some RAWKery Invincibles shit.

If it was us who stopped them, I'd understand it but another plastic club? I'm relieved but wouldn't 'celebrate' someone else's achievement.

Brightonian

I didn't want them to win the treble/quadruple but bloody hell this is some RAWKery Invincibles shit.

If it was us who stopped them, I'd understand it but another plastic club? I'm relieved but wouldn't 'celebrate' someone else's achievement.
What a noble warrior you are.

Personally I'm enjoying the fact they beefed it.

cyril C

Not really. Someone on this forum argued Liverpool is the best in EPL history, despite the fact that they failed to win more than 1 trophy in any single season.

RedTiger

Half mast
Nobody but Sir Alex has won it 3 times in a row (and we did it multiple times). Nobody else has won the league and CL double. Nobody else has won the treble. Nobody else has done both in separate groups of 3 title wins in a row.

It was never in any doubt. Our 99 team is untouchable and the 2008 team is right behind, both far above any other premier league side.
Sorry bro, Liverpool did it twice in the 70s and 80s, but on the bright side the treble will always be ours.

Edit: if you meant just the modern CL then you're obviously right.

Wicked_Badger

Still rankles me that game.
I’m the exact same. I know it’s all its, buts, maybes, but that ridiculous game stopped that side being mentioned amongst the greatest of any sides in football history. Not that they don’t get mentioned as a great side. But winning that game (and surely the final after) would’ve seen them mentioned in the same vein as the legendy ’99 side.

redmanx

They were on for a quadruple, CL, PL, FA Cup and League Cup. What a shame.

redmanx

Not really. Someone on this forum argued Liverpool is the best in EPL history, despite the fact that they failed to win more than 1 trophy in any single season.
And Neil Warnock (???) recently claimed SAF was onlty 4th in his list of best PL managers, behind Klopp, Gladioli and Wenger! How can this possibly work? SAF won 13 PL, several in succession; Klopp has won it, er, um, let me think....ONCE! And the following season his team are nowhere! SAF built 3 teams each with a valid claim of being among the best PL teams ever, but the Treble Winners are without doubt #1. If, big IF, Klopp can come anywhere near that I'll be very surprized.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo

You're right about not celebration a rival's victory, but until when will people like you still try to hold onto the discourse that Chelsea is plastic? They have been a truly top english club for nearly 20 years now, younger generations don't even remember when Chelsea was not big, they are big in the 21st century. And even in the 90s they had some popularity with Gullit as player and coach.

Raredaredevil

I’m the exact same. I know it’s all its, buts, maybes, but that ridiculous game stopped that side being mentioned amongst the greatest of any sides in football history. Not that they don’t get mentioned as a great side. But winning that game (and surely the final after) would’ve seen them mentioned in the same vein as the legendy ’99 side.
I actually rate that team as the most dominant and strongest team in the club history and I will take that team to beat the 99 team.

micmac

The 99 treble was so amazing due to sheer difficulty of the run in the league, cup and a killer group in the CL. All this mixed in with some last minute heroics.

If Pep went on to win the quad this year it would have been so uninspired. No tough away games in empty stadiums, no atmosphere....just boring.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I can assure you no other team played against such a high level of competition on their way to those trophies as well. It's on a completely different level.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It does matter. Also, hope to never see these a-holes winning CL/PL double

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I can assure you no other team played against such a high level of competition on their way to those trophies as well. It's on a completely different level.
I can see what you mean. Barcelona, Bayern (at two different stages) Inter and Juve was an insane lot to best and Arsenal were pretty decent that year as well.

But, also, there's no team with Iniesta, Xavi and Messi there. Teams have definitely faced higher levels of opposition.

Ladron de redcafe

Of course. The great man goes without saying, but I need to give some credit to Keane too. We had players who never ever wilted, but we need to credit some of that to Keane. His attitude, just wow, you can’t not win things when you have someone a good as him, but also as inspirational as him as captain. For some reason I can’t remember who replaced Kidd as assistant manager when he left for Blackburn mid-season, but it might as well have been Keane.
McClaren.