Uno Draft: Round 1 - Pat_Mustard vs. GodShaveTheQueen

Who will win the match based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
An excellent description of Van Nistelrooy and showcases what I expect of him.

So what makes him so special? Quite simply, he can do everything required from a central striker these days and do it with expert precision. By no means as fast as his counterpart at Arsenal, Henry, the Dutch international can nevertheless cover the ground with remarkable speed for someone standing over 6ft tall with a rangy style.

But if Henry edges him out for pace, very few come close in the field of hold-up play, awareness of team-mates and the lung-bursting desire to close down opponents.

This last attribute, a selfless one that others disregard, is too easily forgotten, though not, I'm sure, by Ferguson and the rest of the United team.

Van Nistelrooy is the type into whom you can ping a ball at any speed or height and be confident that it will stick. Such is the man's dependability in this respect, players like Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes make runs off their team-mate without fear of the move breaking down.

Even handier, the Dutchman's formidable upper body strength enables him to hold off defenders, thereby giving others enough time to support as he picks the best option and delivers the right pass before breaking into the area to try to finish off the move. Once there, whether it's with head, foot or knee, he doesn't mess about.

GodShaveTheQueen

Keita, Stiles and Toure is really underwhelming core, especially the midfield.

Have no problems with Ruud/Eusebio/Kalle meshing well together, but that side definitely lacks a playmaker and quality in the middle.
Thanks for commenting. I hope you could unblock me and bury the hatchet. Cheers.

GodShaveTheQueen

As I said, I don't rate Eusebio as peak on the left and coupled with Irwin, it makes for a very underwhelming flank which would fail to take advantage against Alves tactically and it comes down to individual player quality here
Well, then we will have to completely disagree on Eusebio.

Could one of draft geniuses @Gio or @harms comment on what they think of Eusebio from the left?

And about Irwin, you have to remember I am also facing a strong flank in Waddle and Alves. I shouldn't be playing an uber attacking fullback. Balance is very important.

For me Eusebio and Irwin is a balanced and cracking flank. Sure, I could improve it with Facchetti, but Sjor had other plans.

Enigma_87

You know who
Like a 3-4-2-1? I'm not really sure.

I reckon Jair's partnership with Mazzola fro Grande Inter makes it likely that he's mesh well with Kalle. But then Irwin is not even close to a wingback that needs to balance the other flank. As I said, I don't rate Eusebio as peak on the left and coupled with Irwin, it makes for a very underwhelming flank which would fail to take advantage against Alves tactically and it comes down to individual player quality here. Also share @Theon 's opinions on suitability of RvN. Someone more rounded like Seeler/Elkjaer would make the balance a lot better and get the best out of Kalle/Eusebio.

Pat's side is more traditional and balanced and seem to be built to counter the tactical strengths of GSTQ, but then that defence fails well short in player quality against the opposition. Walker/Alves vs RvN/Eusebio seems a bit too wide to bridge.

Hard decision this.
I don't get it why you think Irwin/ Eusebio wouldn't work as a left flank? Irwin can properly stretch the pitch on both sides, he's two footed as it goes and Eusebio will relish using that inside left channel.

Let's not forget nowadays those with stronger right foot usually occupy the left channel which allows them to cut in and shoot. Personally I can see Eusebio doing just as that if he played in modern times.

MJJ

Well, then we will have to completely disagree on Eusebio.

Could one of draft geniuses @Gio or @harms comment on what they think of Eusebio from the left?

And about Irwin, you have to remember I am also facing a strong flank in Waddle and Alves. I shouldn't be playing an uber attacking fullback. Balance is very important.

For me Eusebio and Irwin is a balanced and cracking flank. Sure, I could improve it with Facchetti, but Sjor had other plans.
Where is my tag?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

In a back 5 with wing backs are the only wide players so they have to be attacking imo, they are the main width providers in the system. Its one of the reasons @willhse456 got slated for in his game.

GodShaveTheQueen

In a back 5 with wing backs are the only wide players so they have to be attacking imo, they are the main width providers in the system. Its one of the reasons @willhse456 got slated for in his game.
No, that is not the reason. He got slated because Nilton is not a width provider and Thuram was not even half way close to Irwin attacking wise. He had his odd game here and there but they were more or less terrible choices.

GodShaveTheQueen

What an uneven game judging teams wise. Think there has been about half a comment on the opposition so far. I'll join back when the discussion is at least a minimal bit even.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I don't get it why you think Irwin/ Eusebio wouldn't work as a left flank? Irwin can properly stretch the pitch on both sides, he's two footed as it goes and Eusebio will relish using that inside left channel.

Let's not forget nowadays those with stronger right foot usually occupy the left channel which allows them to cut in and shoot. Personally I can see Eusebio doing just as that if he played in modern times.
I really don't see Irwin as a stretching defence type of player. He'd go good with a traditional winger ahead of him rather than Eusebio. He was in right positions and has great ball distribution skills, but definitely not a wingback.

GodShaveTheQueen

I really don't see Irwin as a stretching defence type of player. He'd go good with a traditional winger ahead of him rather than Eusebio. He was in right positions and has great ball distribution skills, but definitely not a wingback.
So he can't do something like the guy in the below gifs is doing without any winger around? Fair enough

GodShaveTheQueen

The notion that since he played in Man United teams which were predominantly winger based and hence he is not suited to other attacking wing back setups is an odd one really.

How could the manager's tactics put a limit on a player's capabilities? Sure, he can restrict their role in his team, but never their capability and you will always see glimpses like in the above 2 examples which took less than 2-3 minutes to find. Probably can make a tonne more if I had time and energy to browse through.

Irwin for me is every bit as good to play in a 3-4-3, from either side. He not only offers attacking impetus, but the defensive balance for which the likes of Carlos are called out.

If I am to say face Figo and Zanetti in the next game, I'd rather have Irwin than Carlos. Finding the right balance is the key.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
This is an interesting matchup with a 343. Something about Pat's side seems weird to me. Dunc and Pirri seem a bit redundant and not sure how the two pairs of teammates up front will mesh together.

I like the 343 a lot and props to savethequeen for finding that footage on Jair roasting Schnellinger. I tend to agree with Enigma that the midfield could really use a play maker type there. As it is I think a lot comes down to Jair. If he can reproduce what he did in that clip then that works well

GodShaveTheQueen

This is an interesting matchup with a 343. Something about Pat's side seems weird to me. Dunc and Pirri seem a bit redundant and not sure how the two pairs of teammates up front will mesh together.

I like the 343 a lot and props to savethequeen for finding that footage on Jair roasting Schnellinger. I tend to agree with Enigma that the midfield could really use a play maker type there. As it is I think a lot comes down to Jair. If he can reproduce what he did in that clip then that works well
That is the only thing I disagree with there. Its shavethequeen.

And yes, I put a lot of responsibility of Jair, but let me explain in more details how it helps.

1. Restricts Schnellinger from tucking in and blocking Kalle
2. Expect Edwards to put in a shift on the left side with Kalle and Jair being a threatening pair. In the process, reduces Edwards' impact on the game while keeping him busy and on alert.
3. Schnellinger being a defensive fullbacks makes it easier to defend that flank and helps Jair with contributing in the attacking phase as well.

As far as I am concerned, I have nailed that flank tactically. Not to say there are big weaknesses in that flank for Pat, but at least from my team's point of view, I can see the flank being perfect. And yes Jair is one of the most important players tactically in this game. But if it works like it has done in this role throughout his career, I think I can win that flank battle.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That is the only thing I disagree with there. Its shavethequeen.

And yes, I put a lot of responsibility of Jair, but let me explain in more details how it helps.

1. Restricts Schnellinger from tucking in and blocking Kalle
2. Expects Edwards to put in a shift on the left side with Kalle and Jair being a threatening pair. In the process, reduces Edwards' impact on the game while keeping him busy and on alert.
3. Schnellinger being a defensive fullbacks makes it easier to defend that flank and helps Jair with contributing in the attacking phase as well.

As far as I am concerned, I have nailed that flank tactically. Not to say there are big weaknesses in that flank for Pat, but at least from my team's point of view, I can see the flank being perfect. And yes Jair is one of the most important players tactically in this game. But if it works like it has done in this role throughout his career, I think I can win that flank battle.
feck I can't believe I read your name wrong all this time :nervous:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
What an uneven game judging teams wise. Think there has been about half a comment on the opposition so far. I'll join back when the discussion is at least a minimal bit even.
That's true. As I said, I just can't really comment on many of P_M's players & I hoped others would.

GodShaveTheQueen

Forgot to post one of my favorite bits of play from a young Marius Tresor. He played as a libero a lot in his days at Marseille and was always an option of building moves from the back and linking up with the attack.

This gives my team another play making option stepping up from the back. The three man defense helps him have that extra bit of freedom.

The dribbling, pace and touch there :drool:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Personally I don't have any problem with him there. Just put him in a free roaming role behind the striker and he'll drift left and right as he feels the need to. It's not the case of Puskas or Messi, when you can see that a player strongly prefers a certain side.

GodShaveTheQueen

Personally I don't have any problem with him there. Just put him in a free roaming role behind the striker and he'll drift left and right as he feels the need to. It's not the case of Puskas or Messi, when you can see that a player strongly prefers a certain side.
Thanks. I see him the same way.

@Edgar Allan Pillow

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

This.

Eusebio also had that Henry-esque tendency of shifting the ball to his left with his right foot as he pushed off and through the gears.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Oh and good luck @Pat_Mustard :lol:
Good luck to you too mate!

:lol: Aye, there's not really much for me to answer here tbh. It's a fairly straightforward setup I'm playing in fairness, so it probably boils down to whether or not people rate my players or not.

Good find on Jair and good Eusebio GIFs, but been there and done that on Eusebio and I don't think you're ever going to change Edgar's mind on this no matter how compelling the evidence :D

MJJ

Two years earlier, before being cast as footballing pariahs, Marseille were the envy of a watching continent. The accomplished display they put on at the San Siro against ArrigoSacchi’s AC Milan in the European Cup quarter-final first leg was widely seen as a shifting of European football’s tectonic plates. Coming away from Milan with a 1-1 draw, the second leg was a massively anticipated event.

A fortnight later, the return tie at the Stade Vélodrome was forever embossed by Milan’s refusal to return to the pitch after a floodlight failure in the last minute of the game. Prior to Milan’s late and unseemly stand-off, a nervy – and at times untidy – game had been punctuated by a moment of collective genius from Marseille, a goal of bewitching beauty, which had been on the brink of settling the outcome.

@Pat_Mustard got any more information on this?

Enigma_87

You know who
It’s a 3-4-3 rather than 4-3-3 where the full backs are expected to bomb forward constantly and consistently provide width ala Barca or Liverpool.

Tend to believe that wing backs are often devoid of defensive duties in drafts which is far from reality. I like Irwin there as he’s an excellent balanced full back with enough stamina and work rate to pull of his role here.

I like the use of him as he brings a lot of balance to that wing as he offers himself going forward and stretches the opposition defence, but also provides enough cover for the defensive line and especially GSTQ weakest link - Toure.

Generally I'm a bit surprised of the criticism of the attacking line - to me it's the best attack on the pitch and all three offer different qualities and dimensions of that attack. If it wasn't for the really underwhelming midfield I'd probably have voted otherwise.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I haven't really been online much but if there's anyone specific you want to know more about I'll try to provide something mate :)
Alright, cool - I've got only very basic ideas about the front four, for example. You did sketch out their roles & interplay in the OP, so it's more a case of me not really being able to judge and discuss this.

But perhaps just some more about how you envision them playing together? Things like:

What kind of CF role would Kocsis play in a modern 4-2-3-1?

How do Czibor and Waddle interpret their positions, how does each of them act/move in the attacking third, what are their individual strengths? I have Waddle down as a creative midfielder/winger with a good shot on him, and Czibor as more of a winger/forward (neither playing inverted here) - not sure if that's accurate or not.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Two years earlier, before being cast as footballing pariahs, Marseille were the envy of a watching continent. The accomplished display they put on at the San Siro against ArrigoSacchi’s AC Milan in the European Cup quarter-final first leg was widely seen as a shifting of European football’s tectonic plates. Coming away from Milan with a 1-1 draw, the second leg was a massively anticipated event.

A fortnight later, the return tie at the Stade Vélodrome was forever embossed by Milan’s refusal to return to the pitch after a floodlight failure in the last minute of the game. Prior to Milan’s late and unseemly stand-off, a nervy – and at times untidy – game had been punctuated by a moment of collective genius from Marseille, a goal of bewitching beauty, which had been on the brink of settling the outcome.

@Pat_Mustard got any more information on this?
:lol: Yeah, basically Milan were about to be eliminated so tried to game the system and force a replay by having the match abandoned. UEFA, for once, showed some common sense and fecked them off.

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/28/sports/milan-soccer-club-banned-for-a-year.html

Some footage of it:

This should have been an all-touches video but I abandoned it due to time constraints ages ago and never got back to finishing it properly, but here's some bits and pieces of Waddle tormenting that great Milan defence from that match, with Abedi featuring too:

And a proper all-touches video of an excellent Waddle performance vs Germany in the 1990 World Cup:

MJJ

:lol: Yeah, basically Milan were about to be eliminated so tried to game the system and force a replay by having the match abandoned. UEFA, for once, showed some common sense and fecked them off.

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/28/sports/milan-soccer-club-banned-for-a-year.html

Some footage of it:

This should have been an all-touches video but I abandoned it due to time constraints ages ago and never got back to finishing it properly, but here's some bits and pieces of Waddle tormenting that great Milan defence from that match, with Abedi featuring too:

And a proper all-touches video of an excellent Waddle performance vs Germany in the 1990 World Cup:

Italians and trying to game the system :lol:

Just watched the first vid, his first touch and body control is really amazing. Some lovely feints, I also had it in my head that he was a lot slower than he is showing there.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It’s a 3-4-3 rather than 4-3-3 where the full backs are expected to bomb forward constantly and consistently provide width ala Barca or Liverpool.

Tend to believe that wing backs are often devoid of defensive duties in drafts which is far from reality. I like Irwin there as he’s an excellent balanced full back with enough stamina and work rate to pull of his role here.

I like the use of him as he brings a lot of balance to that wing as he offers himself going forward and stretches the opposition defence, but also provides enough cover for the defensive line and especially GSTQ weakest link - Toure.

Generally I'm a bit surprised of the criticism of the attacking line - to me it's the best attack on the pitch and all three offer different qualities and dimensions of that attack. If it wasn't for the really underwhelming midfield I'd probably have voted otherwise.
With a back 3 behind him you'd expect a fullback to provide a more attacking output than a balanced one. Gary Neville had good stamina and workrate but would you buy him in as a wingback? I'd expect Alves in back 4 to have better attacking contribution than Irwin in back 5. In a back 4, there can be no question but I really don't say it'd be Irwin's peak in back 5. he certainly can do a job there, but then it won't the be constant overlapping we have see.

As to eusebio, this was his peak:

&

Brian Glanville said:
"...in Eusebio, they had one of the games authentic stars, a very striking great Inside Forward with a staggering right foot, flowing control and wonderful acceleration"
There are articles that state that he started his youth as Inside Left for Sporting Lisbon, but the got switched to his favourite Inside Right by Bela Guttman where he became legendary. He is a two footed player, but it's quite clear on what his favourite side it and where he excelled in real life.

Inside Right or a Supporting Striker playing a free role in the hole (in modern formations) is what he excelled in. I have no doubts he can do the Inside Left role...but that definitely is not his peak.

Sorry GSTQ, Eusebio is a pet peeve of mine and I've done so much research on him in earlier drafts.

GodShaveTheQueen

@Edgar Allan Pillow

Ok, let's say it was his best position.

But I have shown you enough proof that he was devastating from the left too and those 10 gifs show you all the zones on the left he had an impact on. Central, wide, deep etc. Surely, he should be judged on his role here rather than what his best position is which doesn't have any bearing on the game.

GodShaveTheQueen

I'd expect Alves in back 4 to have better attacking contribution than Irwin in back 5. In a back 4
And you'd expect Alves to struggle against a Eusebio and Irwin wing too. Especially with no support from Waddle. That is where the balance goes for a toss.

With Irwin, you have defensive cover and attacking impetus. Sure, maybe he won't produce assist after assist but he will provide width which is the main job in a 3-4-3, to stretch the field. You don't have to be at the corner flag everytime to do that.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Edgar Allan Pillow

Ok, let's say it was his best position.

But I have shown you enough proof that he was devastating from the left too and those 10 gifs show you all the zones on the left he had an impact on. Central, wide, deep etc. Surely, he should be judged on his role here rather than what his best position is which doesn't have any bearing on the game.
Yeah, that's the reason, I haven't voted against you yet. Your player quality advantage as I mentioned before is simply too great vs Pat's defence.

GodShaveTheQueen

Yeah, that's the reason, I haven't voted against you yet. Your player quality advantage as I mentioned before is simply too great vs Pat's defence.
Fair enough. I'll resume convincing you and 2mufc0 tomorrow :D

Been a lively first half. Will check back tomorrow. Cheers everyone.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Fair enough. I'll resume convincing you and 2mufc0 tomorrow :D

Been a lively first half. Will check back tomorrow. Cheers everyone.
Issue of the attack aside, i don't really rate that central midfield pair but i didn't want to bring that up earlier as i made too many posts about your attack. Sitting on the fence right now.

Himannv

I have no problems with either attack but I'm somewhat underwhelmed by both midfields. I'm just about going with GSTQ due to the quality of players in his attack.

Enigma_87

You know who
This.

Eusebio also had that Henry-esque tendency of shifting the ball to his left with his right foot as he pushed off and through the gears.
Yup. Eusebio had one of the hardest shot in history. He hit it flat and generated significant power off his boots. He's one of my favorite players obviously as I picked him a lot of times, but is one of the greatest goalscorers of the game and his shot with the right foot is probably one of his major assets.

If he was to play today that comparison with Henry is pretty apt and I can also see him in a more central position(as a complete #9) or second striker either side.

GodShaveTheQueen

The bit in the quote in this post about running off him without fear of the move breaking down resonated hard after watching tonight's match :(
Oh don't remind me the horror of Lukaku yesterday :(

We were lucky growing up watching Scholes running off Van Nistelrooy. My poor kid has to do with Fred running off Lukaku :lol: