Uno Draft: SF - Moby vs Skizzo

Who will win the match based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Team Moby

Formation: 4-2-3-1. Team is based around the mouth watering front four with flying wingers down both flanks, a mercurial playmaker and one of the most dangerous strikers of all time. We will play on quick breaks and swift transitions having quality ball players all over the pitch and get the ball forward as soon as possible.

CB Pair: Two of the greatest defenders to come out of the British Isles who compliment each other brilliantly and cover each and every facet of defending required from a CB pair. Rio Ferdinand comes in to the team, bringing in absolutely elite level of reading of the game and anticipation, along with proven pedigree at the highest level. He will be organizing the defense and thanks to his pace and positioning skills, the defense can push up to compress space when required. Paired with him is the colossal defender Paul McGrath, an excellent defender on the ball in his own right but also a giant physically and in the air, while being a tremendous athlete to match some of the attacks on show.

Fullbacks: Bixente Lizarazu mans the left flank, a very complete and balanced defender having never ending stamina and work rate, able to tuck in to form a solid backline when needed and also overlap constantly when the team attacks and provide width down the flank. On the right is Danny McGrain, the legendary Scot was not too dissimilar from Lizarazu in terms of the defense-attack quotient that he brings in, top marker at the back and a workhorse down the flank.

Central Midfield: The tireless and dominating Italian Marco Tardelli will be running the midfield from the middle, one of the greatest two-way threats in the game and a massive big game player, bringing never ending reserves of stamina and tenacity, breaking up the opposition attacks as well as contributing in driving forward with the ball when the team attacks. On the transition he will be a massive weapon breaking from midfield. Next to him is the Irish legend, Partnering him is the legendary Frank Rijkaard, who comes in as the defensive midfielder of the team. Capable of nullifying any opposition threat and providing world class defensive shield in front of the defense, Rijkaard would be dominating most midfields thrown against him and bring in incredible stamina, physicality, tactical nous and awareness as well as quality ability on the ball in possession. Rijkaard and Tardelli will provide an excellent platform for the front four, both are excellent two-way forces with Tardelli having a higher tendency to bomb forward and provide a scoring option whereas Rijkaard marshalls the middle of the pitch at all times.

Wide Men: No introduction needed for the two wingers, both GOATs in their positions, in their own individual style of play. On the left is Dragan Dzajic, one of the greatest dribblers and crossers the game has seen, slithering past defenders making huge inroads into the opposition, he will be seeing a lot of the ball in this game, with no other similarly ball dominant ball players to disrupt his rhythm and would be a key presence in the attack throughout the game. On the other side is Luis Figo, hugely industrious and hard working, and an absolutely unstoppable player going forward, he will be bringing his pin point passing and crossing, close control and dribbling as well his long range threat and shooting to full effect in terms of unlocking the defense. The two wingers would be constantly stretching teams out wide, creating space for the central players to take dangerous positions and get on the scoresheet from their service throughout the game.

#10 and #9: Michael Laudrup will be the puppet master of the team, one of the greatest passers of all time, with the ability to cut through any defense at will he will be linking the midfield and attack and have a free roaming role as an attacking midfielder to hurt the opposition as soon as a chance arrives. He will be feeding none other than Thierry Henry. The electrifying Frenchman who is one of the greatest goalscorers of all time, will be relishing the service he will receive from the three players behind him. Henry made a great partnership with Bergkamp at Arsenal and would be enjoying a similar telepathic relationship with another creative genius in Laudrup. And similarly, the two wingers out wide would readily combine with Henry and Laudrup in terms of adding a lot of fluidity to the game and opening up the opposition defense with their passing and movement, while creating loads of space for the frontman to attack. Henry's pace along with Figo and Dzajic running on the counter against a backpeddling defense would be absolute carnage and we will look to engineer that in this game.

Overall, the team boasts of a very solid core in defense with all four defenders having huge credentials to their names and tons of consistency throughout their massive body of work. Supported by the combative midfield duo, the front four should be able to do their job and should be able to provide a great mix of creativity, dynamism and directness needed to win this game.

Team Skizzo

In goal remains one of the greatest keepers of all time, Peter Schmeichel. The Great Dane was a huge presence in the penalty box, and the dressing room, and he'd help marshall the back line here again.

Coming in to the team, with a defensive shuffle, is Matthias Sammer. The German will take up his all-encompassing libero role, working out of the back line and helping the midfield by charging up as he see's fit.
Sliding in next to him is Paolo Maldini and Claudio Gentile. The two italians are of the "defense-first" mindset, and would offer a fantastic base and cover for Sammer to do his thing.

Giacinfo Facchetti and Manfred Kaltz take up the full back/wing back spots. Both were comfortable going forward and contributing to the attacking phases of the game, while not being a liability defensively. With Facchetti coming in, that left side is arguably the strongest created in the draft.

The midfield two is made up of Fernando Redondo and Roy Keane. Complementing each other with class, physicality and work rate, they bring everything you'd want in a midfield to wrestle control of the game and let the rest of the team flourish offensively.

Socrates plays in the hole between the midfield and the attackers, looking to be the creative force and link player, while getting on the score sheet himself with the movement of the front two creating space for him.

The front two are two of the best forwards in the draft with Roberto Baggio playing off Denis Law. They would both love the link up play between themselves, and with Socrates. Baggio would look to forage and roam, and Law would love operating in the space afforded to him by the movement of his peers. The link up play and chances created would be lovely to watch.

In goal remains one of the greatest keepers of all time, Peter Schmeichel. The Great Dane was a huge presence in the penalty box, and the dressing room, and he'd help marshall the back line here again.

Coming in to the team, with a defensive shuffle, is Matthias Sammer. The German will take up his all-encompassing libero role, working out of the back line and helping the midfield by charging up as he see's fit.
Sliding in next to him is Paolo Maldini and Claudio Gentile. The two italians are of the "defense-first" mindset, and would offer a fantastic base and cover for Sammer to do his thing.

Giacinfo Facchetti and Manfred Kaltz take up the full back/wing back spots. Both were comfortable going forward and contributing to the attacking phases of the game, while not being a liability defensively. With Facchetti coming in, that left side is arguably the strongest created in the draft.

The midfield two is made up of Fernando Redondo and Roy Keane. Complementing each other with class, physicality and work rate, they bring everything you'd want in a midfield to wrestle control of the game and let the rest of the team flourish offensively.

Socrates plays in the hole between the midfield and the attackers, looking to be the creative force and link player, while getting on the score sheet himself with the movement of the front two creating space for him.

The front two are two of the best forwards in the draft with Roberto Baggio playing off Denis Law. They would both love the link up play between themselves, and with Socrates. Baggio would look to forage and roam, and Law would love operating in the space afforded to him by the movement of his peers. The link up play and chances created would be lovely to watch.[/QUOTE]

Moby

Dick
A 4231 with GOAT tier wingers and excellent supporting fullbacks is ideal to break the back of 5 at the back formation.

willhse456

Before the semi draw I thought Skizzo had the best team, but not sure now. I think this was probably the worst matchup for them because the weaknesses in the opposition are at fullback, and there's no one really to exploit that properly.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
How good was McGrain going forward? In terms of overlap?

Moby

Dick
While in the middle I have a top quality defensive wall with Rio and McGrath forming a CB duo that matches the Opposite front pair well.

However as good as Socrates as, with his role so critical to the team, having a duo of Rijkaard and Tardelli is absolutely monstrous and would be able to dominate the doctor here. That puts a real dent on that team imo.

Think this turns out to be a very favorable match up for me.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's a bit surprising that Skizzo spent 2 Draw 4 cards on 2 left backs. And his team still looks great :)
You'd want a GOAT #10 in 3-5-2 at this stage though, especially with most of them being available.

Skizzo

@Skizzo Are you playing on the counter?
Counter and a direct style with the ball.

Our defense is well equipped to squash out space at the back and not leave space in behind for Henry to exploit. He’s not particularly deadly in the air, so limiting space for him to hurt us in behind keeps all the danger in front of the back line where Maldini-Sammer-Gentile-Keane-Redondo can press and Schmeichel to dominate the box and stop any long rangers.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I banked on him to get Garrincha to pair with Gento on the other flank. Either ways, have to say that is looking a bit under upgraded.

Skizzo

Before the semi draw I thought Skizzo had the best team, but not sure now. I think this was probably the worst matchup for them because the weaknesses in the opposition are at fullback, and there's no one really to exploit that properly.
Baggio and Law were both adept at drifting, and playing on the counter with Facchetti breaking down that side on the weaker full back, we can cause some damage there.

Moby

Dick
Counter and a direct style with the ball.

Our defense is well equipped to squash out space at the back and not leave space in behind for Henry to exploit. He’s not particularly deadly in the air, so limiting space for him to hurt us in behind keeps all the danger in front of the back line where Maldini-Sammer-Gentile-Keane-Redondo can press and Schmeichel to dominate the box and stop any long rangers.
Having Figo and Dzajic who are well supported by their fullback is bound to stretch your defense and create space in the middle.

Another stroke of fortune for me is my left side of Dzajic and Lizarazu provides fantastic penetration and that is against the weaker side of your defense. That side should be a good route for creating chances for me.

Skizzo

While in the middle I have a top quality defensive wall with Rio and McGrath forming a CB duo that matches the Opposite front pair well.

However as good as Socrates as, with his role so critical to the team, having a duo of Rijkaard and Tardelli is absolutely monstrous and would be able to dominate the doctor here. That puts a real dent on that team imo.

Think this turns out to be a very favorable match up for me.
You know as well as anyone that with you dropping Rijkaard/Tardelli deeper to “dominate” Socrates, that Redondo can be just as devastating in building play and creating chances if given the chance.

We’re hardly completely reliant on a Sócrates to create everything for us.

Skizzo

Having Figo and Dzajic who are well supported by their fullback is bound to stretch your defense and create space in the middle.

Another stroke of fortune for me is my left side of Dzajic and Lizarazu provides fantastic penetration and that is against the weaker side of your defense. That side should be a good route for creating chances for me.
Using your full backs to push high up the field to try and stretch the defense leaves you far more exposed at the back. Leaving Rio and Mcgrath in a 2 on 2 situation on the counter, with Friedel in goal is a more likely route to goal than trying to break down a back 5 including Facchetti-Maldini-Sammer-Gentile-Kaltz with Schmeichel in behind.

GodShaveTheQueen

Facchetti was a one-man flank, and Law is probably one of the best available strikers in the draft.
Yea I loved the Law pick and I don't have too much problem with Facchetti manning the flank despite his attacking game taking a hit against GOAT wingers in real world games. Big games.

Of course, has Maldini here to cover.

I am a firm believer of the below point though.

A 4231 with GOAT tier wingers and excellent supporting fullbacks is ideal to break the back of 5 at the back formation.
Might be closer than I think and probably shouldn't have voted this early. I'll keep an open mind and follow the discussions.

Also, I completely ignored Schmeichel and Freidel, so there is that too.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You don't really need an overlapping full back with Figo on the wing IMO.
Maybe so but Moby has already said his system involves supporting full backs.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
You know as well as anyone that with you dropping Rijkaard/Tardelli deeper to “dominate” Socrates, that Redondo can be just as devastating in building play and creating chances if given the chance.

We’re hardly completely reliant on a Sócrates to create everything for us.
I really like the Redondo-Keane pairing more than Tardelli-Rikjaard because of Redondo's creativity.

Skizzo

It's a bit surprising that Skizzo spent 2 Draw 4 cards on 2 left backs. And his team still looks great :)
You'd want a GOAT #10 in 3-5-2 at this stage though, especially with most of them being available.
I know you aren’t downplaying Socrates, but in case someone misinterprets your comment as saying we have some nobody in there

He was in the upper tiers of attacking midfielders, and with Baggio also overlapping in some of that skill set, they create a 1-2 punch that some 3-5-2’s don’t have. Socrates is also one to burst past Baggio/Law after a quick one-two and be in goal, so not the typical play in the hole and create type of #10

Skizzo

Yea I loved the Law pick and I don't have too much problem with Facchetti manning the flank despite his attacking game taking a hit against GOAT wingers in real world games. Big games.

Of course, has Maldini here to cover.

I am a firm believer of the below point though.

Might be closer than I think and probably shouldn't have voted this early. I'll keep an open mind and follow the discussions.

Also, I completely ignored Schmeichel and Freidel, so there is that too.
It’s exactly that post which highlights how he can be exposed. He’s reliant on those supporting full backs to try and unlock our GOAT-laden defense, and when they push up, we have the players to expose that space.

Redondo is able to create chances from deeper to strike quickly. Socrates can drive forward with or without the ball and link play with the mobile and creative front two that will be left in lots of space without the full backs there to support Mcgrath and Rio on quick counters.

Skizzo

I really like the Redondo-Keane pairing more than Tardelli-Rikjaard because of Redondo's creativity.
It gives us that extra edge, as with Sammer-Redondo-Socrates-Baggio we have players who can create and change games in different tiers of the pitch.

Moby has a great front 4 no doubt, but they lack a creative presence from deeper to help alleviate the playmaking burden from strictly the final third. Especially as with our defense and midfield, they’re likely to be crowded, and that limits Henry’s chances to try and get in behind.

Enigma_87

You know who
Maybe so but Moby has already said his system involves supporting full backs.
I read supporting the attack and this:

On the right is Danny McGrain, the legendary Scot was not too dissimilar from Lizarazu in terms of the defense-attack quotient that he brings in, top marker at the back and a workhorse down the flank.
is I think fair representation of him.

Generally I can see him being close to Thuram in that respect and bringing the same balance like in 98.

Skizzo

The opposition is mostly reliant on Henry to score. Figo and Laudrup could score, but were never what you’d call prolific, and would mostly look to create.

Dzajic was more of a goal threat, but with him operating wide left and in the inside left channels, he’d take a lot of the same space Henry would like to drift into and occupy. If they interchange, that’s even better as it takes the deadliest threat away from goal, and there’s no real aerial threat in the box at any time in terms of finding someone with crosses.

And I’ll say again, the two lines of defensive players in Redondo-Keane and Maldini-Sammer-Gentile with Schmeichel in behind is a GOAT built wall that would keep the danger in front of them, limiting those pacy players the space to run in behind where they are at their most dangerous.

On the flip side, Baggio-Law-Socrates are all players who have taken on the burden of being the creator for their sides, as well as the goal scorers. In the way this game is being set up to play out, they’ll have more space against a defense that is using the full backs to push up and support the wingers in trying to break us down, as well as against a keeper that shouldn’t be here at all.

Friedel has been picked before in a draft, and was listed as the worst keeper picked, and that was behind keepers like Barthez, Lloris, Bravo, Handanovic...all of whom would also be questioned at this level against this kind of attack.

Keepers are every bit a part of the game and the defense, and in this company, he could easily be a part of the fine margin that decides an otherwise close game.

Moby

Dick
Using your full backs to push high up the field to try and stretch the defense leaves you far more exposed at the back. Leaving Rio and Mcgrath in a 2 on 2 situation on the counter, with Friedel in goal is a more likely route to goal than trying to break down a back 5 including Facchetti-Maldini-Sammer-Gentile-Kaltz with Schmeichel in behind.
I expect more from a veteran drafter than to peddle such debunked cliches where an attacking fullback suddenly vanishes in defense if he's asked to overlap. Please, don't mix up the defense and offensive phases, really.

Our fullbacks won't be pushed high up the pitch when you are attacking, nor would be flying forward instantly when we get the ball. The wingers are good enough to engage multiple defenders and drag the wide CBs out of their position as they are two of the best dribblers of all time, especially Dzajic and can easily beat the opposite wingback 1v1. Not to mention, it's usually after a sustained spell of possession when the fullbacks gradually move up the pitch providing support and create space if needed. Not that wingers like Dzajic who made a career out of dazzling past one defender after another always need support.

I mean, literally every attacking/overlapping fullback that has played the game would follow those instructions by default, and unlike here, nobody would have to spell it out everytime a fullback is asked to overlap.

It isn't even asking them to be the primary providers of width with the kind of wingers they have in front of them, but even giving them a job of supporting wingers has rubbish statements like 'the team will be exposed 2v2' because when you get the ball, it will just teleport right in front of the strikers and no players will be allowed to move during that.

Moby

Dick
Reality is, that having two top tier flanks such as the ones used in this game, especially with two wingers who boast of elite creativity, dribbling, penetration with fullbacks who are well willing to provide secondary sources of width, your wingbacks would have to show far more responsibility at the back, and that would be a bigger problem for you as that would leave the entire attack very central where I have a massive defensive barrier in the two CMs as well as the two CBs.

All in all, both tactically and in terms of match winning quality, I am better suited to come out of this game ahead more often than not.

Moby

Dick
He’s reliant on those supporting full backs to try and unlock our GOAT-laden defense,
What kind of rubbish is this man?

Why the hell I would be reliant on the two fullbacks to unlock the defense from wide positions when I have friggin Dragan Dzajic and Luis Figo?

Dzajic is one of the greatest dribblers of all time, right behind the likes of Best and Garrincha in terms of single handedly tearing a defense apart, he will be definitely have the better of Manny Kaltz 1v1, which is going to be a great route of creating chances for us. That itself will force Gentile to cover for Kaltz and allow the likes of Henry and Laudrup, with a willing to bomb forward Tardelli to position themselves in unmarked positions providing great goalscoring opportunities.

And again, before I have to read "ohh Tardelli has gone forward its 5v1 now youre fecked", remember there are no wormholes on the pitch.

Skizzo

I expect more from a veteran drafter than to peddle such debunked cliches where an attacking fullback suddenly vanishes in defense if he's asked to overlap. Please, don't mix up the defense and offensive phases, really.
You’re the one who said Lizarazu would overlap constantly in attack and provide the width down the flank. Don’t need to play a victim card that some “draft veteran” is peddling cliches.

Our fullbacks won't be pushed high up the pitch when you are attacking, nor would be flying forward instantly when we get the ball. The wingers are good enough to engage multiple defenders and drag the wide CBs out of their position as they are two of the best dribblers of all time, especially Dzajic and can easily beat the opposite wingback 1v1. Not to mention, it's usually after a sustained spell of possession when the fullbacks gradually move up the pitch providing support and create space if needed. Not that wingers like Dzajic who made a career out of dazzling past one defender after another always need support.
You never said you were playing possession, but quick breaks and swift transitions. So when exactly do you expect them to move up and support? So far you’ve mentioned them constantly overlapping in attack, waiting back to see if they’re needed, or pushing up in possession. Anything else you want to cover?

I mean, literally every attacking/overlapping fullback that has played the game would follow those instructions by default, and unlike here, nobody would have to spell it out everytime a fullback is asked to overlap.

It isn't even asking them to be the primary providers of width with the kind of wingers they have in front of them, but even giving them a job of supporting wingers has rubbish statements like 'the team will be exposed 2v2' because when you get the ball, it will just teleport right in front of the strikers and no players will be allowed to move during that.
Again, you’re the one who said they were going to be providing width and overlapping constantly in attack. As I mentioned above, we have players on each level of the pitch that could find that attacking ball forward, and the ball can move forward faster than your players can get back. A veteran drafter like yourself should know that.

GodShaveTheQueen

@Moby , planning to start a club, let me know if you want to be the co founder :lol:

For what its worth, I thought that was a rubbish point as well when I read it. Sorry Skizzo.

What kind of rubbish is this man?

Why the hell I would be reliant on the two fullbacks to unlock the defense from wide positions when I have friggin Dragan Dzajic and Luis Figo?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
How good was McGrain going forward? In terms of overlap?
McGrain was a superb defender who looked solid anywhere across the back-line. Comparing him to Sandy Jardine who was the other world-class Scottish right-back of the time, I would say that McGrain was the more combative and ruthless defender, while Jardine had the more sophisticated touch and all-round ball-playing game. McGrain was nevertheless a force going forward for his ability to get up and down the flank, brought huge energy to his side of the park and could whip a decent ball into the box.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
That midfield and attack from moby is absolutely brilliant.

Skizzo has a great team, but I just don't like Redondo - Sammer combo. Enigma also used it once. Redondo liked to be the main man in build up and kinda feel they would go in each other way.

Skizzo

Skizzo has a great team, but I just don't like Redondo - Sammer combo. Enigma also used it once. Redondo liked to be the main man in build up and kinda feel they would go in each other way.
Sammer would be defense first here. First and foremost he’s a world class defender, and he’d look to step out and close down Laudrup, looking to limit his influence and take away that avenue. With Gentile and Maldini behind him, he has that luxury to a degree.

While he is obviously top tier because of his ability to charge up field, he showed his credentials defensively for Germany as well by marshaling them defensively and that’s what we’d focus on here.

Skizzo

@Moby , planning to start a club, let me know if you want to be the co founder :lol:

For what its worth, I thought that was a rubbish point as well when I read it. Sorry Skizzo.
Reliant was probably a strong word to use, although all of his points related to using full backs to double up and overlap constantly on the attack. I have no issues with disagreeing, i just have no interest in slinging handbags :)

If he’s counting on Figo and Dzagic to break down Facchetti/Maldini and Kaltz/Ruggeri by themselves on a regular enough basis to decide the match, I’d take that chance.

There’s still Friedel in goal on the other end.

Also using Tardelli and Rijkaard to dominate Socrates just leaves Redondo and Baggio to create chances.

Enigma_87

You know who

Agree with the first part. That front 6 with the support from the full backs and Rio/McGrath defence is awesome. Only the keeper is an eye sore in the line up...

Disagree on the second part as obviously I've picked it before. :lol:

Tilting towards Moby so far because of the fantastic front 6.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
With Gentile and Maldini behind him, he has that luxury to a degree.
Sammer, Gentile, Maldini... ffs, sometimes I just think I shouldn't vote after 1st rounds tbf. Absolute margins... And down to personal preference (although, I don't rate Dzajic close to most people here). He was great, but not that great.
Grandpa confirms as I write.

Skizzo

Sammer, Gentile, Maldini... ffs, sometimes I just think I shouldn't vote after 1st rounds tbf. Absolute margins... And down to personal preference (although, I don't rate Dzajic close to most people here). He was great, but not that great.
Grandpa confirms as I write.
If we’re still talking about absolute margins...let’s not forget that behind Sammer-Gentile-Maldini is Peter Schmeichel. The opposition still sports Brad Friedel :angel: