g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Unpopular Opinion | Not sacking Ten Hag

Nickelodeon

Let me start by saying that I wanted Jose and Ole out when we were in a similar or even a slightly better position. In my mind, not qualifying for the Champions League should've been an automatic sackable offense for any United manager. And I do acknowledge that Ten Hag is in a position where he probably deserves the sack from a performance, results, and signings perspective. Everyone analyzing Man United knows and accepts that a cultural overhaul is needed. But what defines a cultural overhaul? Is it going to be a change in manager or a change in players? Or both? We know changing the manager is the less complicated option. It also gives the players (another) clean slate to perform. But would it really change the culture? Let's look at plausible scenarios of what would/could happen if we change the manager. Many examples are based on recent history.
  • We play well next season but not well enough to challenge for the title. Most probably qualify for the Champions League.
  • A few players like Varane, Martial, Eriksen, etc., leave the club.
  • One of the new signings performs well, and we think that the culture is changing.
  • Rashford scores 20+ goals in the season.
  • Players suddenly describe the mood as more positive, and they have found 'smiles on their faces.'
  • The subsequent season, we are exactly in the same situation we are now, where the same players are either out of form, injured, or have just given up.
I fear that sacking Ten Hag and getting a new manager is going to land us in the exact same space we've been in for many years. And when the new manager comes in, there is an inevitable feeling, and also financial prudence, where we want to give the same players another opportunity. I would hate to see the likes of Rashford being given their nth chance. It is time for the players to shoulder the burden of our lack of performance and success.

However, if we don't sack Ten Hag, it could go one of two ways:
There is a massive change in the playing squad, and Ten Hag knows his neck is now on the line, and we find the rhythm we were expecting this season. Or he's a dead man walking who gets sacked around October-December. However, unlike previous seasons, we would have a proper team functioning who would ensure that there is no misalignment between the players we have and have signed in the summer, with the new manager who comes in.

Let me be clear. I'm not confident of success if Ten Hag stays. But I would hate for this squad to outlast another manager and then find that the same two-year cycle under a new manager with the same/similar players is happening again. Hence, because we have shown faith in Ten Hag as a high-quality coach, maybe it's time to back him when he would be in a similar structure to when he's thrived previously.

Fallon d'Floor

Let me start by saying that I wanted Jose and Ole out when we were in a similar or even a slightly better position. In my mind, not qualifying for the Champions League should've been an automatic sackable offense for any United manager. And I do acknowledge that Ten Hag is in a position where he probably deserves the sack from a performance, results, and signings perspective. Everyone analyzing Man United knows and accepts that a cultural overhaul is needed. But what defines a cultural overhaul? Is it going to be a change in manager or a change in players? Or both? We know changing the manager is the less complicated option. It also gives the players (another) clean slate to perform. But would it really change the culture? Let's look at plausible scenarios of what would/could happen if we change the manager. Many examples are based on recent history.
  • We play well next season but not well enough to challenge for the title. Most probably qualify for the Champions League.
  • A few players like Varane, Martial, Eriksen, etc., leave the club.
  • One of the new signings performs well, and we think that the culture is changing.
  • Rashford scores 20+ goals in the season.
  • Players suddenly describe the mood as more positive, and they have found 'smiles on their faces.'
  • The subsequent season, we are exactly in the same situation we are now, where the same players are either out of form, injured, or have just given up.
I fear that sacking Ten Hag and getting a new manager is going to land us in the exact same space we've been in for many years. And when the new manager comes in, there is an inevitable feeling, and also financial prudence, where we want to give the same players another opportunity. I would hate to see the likes of Rashford being given their nth chance. It is time for the players to shoulder the burden of our lack of performance and success.

However, if we don't sack Ten Hag, it could go one of two ways:
There is a massive change in the playing squad, and Ten Hag knows his neck is now on the line, and we find the rhythm we were expecting this season. Or he's a dead man walking who gets sacked around October-December. However, unlike previous seasons, we would have a proper team functioning who would ensure that there is no misalignment between the players we have and have signed in the summer, with the new manager who comes in.

Let me be clear. I'm not confident of success if Ten Hag stays. But I would hate for this squad to outlast another manager and then find that the same two-year cycle under a new manager with the same/similar players is happening again. Hence, because we have shown faith in Ten Hag as a high-quality coach, maybe it's time to back him when he would be in a similar structure to when he's thrived previously.
Onana
Bayındır
Malacia
Lisandro
Evans
Kambwala
Casemiro
Amrabat
Mainoo
Eriksen
Mount
Antony
Garnacho
Højlund

14 of the current 26 man squad are his signings/loans/promotions. Forson should probably be included also. 15/27.

There has already been a massive overhaul from the end of the Ole/Rangnick season. Lots of players didn't outlast the last fiasco.

De Gea
Henderson
Grant
Telles
Jones
Tuanzebe
Bailly
Matić
Garner
Pogba
Fred
Andreas
Mata
Lingard
Chong
Elanga
Ronaldo
Cavani

We're at a stage where we could sell at least half of ten Hag's signings. We've spent €445 million and don't have a lot to show for it.

Last edited:

spiriticon

I wouldn't be against keeping him one more season (with zero say in transfers this summer) if he hadn't insisted on conceding 20 shots every game for nearly the whole season.

That is an unworkable style of play in the PL and he can't seem to see it.

LInkash

I'd be okay with it if we were in a deserved 8th place but we're actually more like a side towards the bottom of the table.

SuperiorXI

For me we've been at this crossroads before and it has not worked each time. Why not try an alternative approach which is to get these underperforming prima donnas out of the club and bring in players on a proper performance-based wage structure with a proper backroom structure?

I am convinced that Ten Hag should stay and we should instead remove certain players. It's a more difficult road but will yield the best results.

Fallon d'Floor

For me we've been at this crossroads before and it has not worked each time. Why not try an alternative approach which is to get these underperforming prima donnas out of the club and bring in players on a proper performance-based wage structure with a proper backroom structure?

I am convinced that Ten Hag should stay and we should instead remove certain players. It's a more difficult road but will yield the best results.
Apart from Rashford, name the rest?

spiriticon

If he sanctions the sale of one of his own under-performing players this summer (like Onana/Mount/Antony) to make way for a better player, it will do wonders for my belief in him.

Sometimes you don't always get it right, but you mustn't be afraid to correct a mistake. I need to at least see that attitude in him cause he's fecked up so much this year.

It still doesn't remove my doubts on his tactical and injury management ability though.

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
There are currently more cons than pros to keeping Ten Hag another season. It is that simple really.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is like a shit episode of Heroes: To save Mainoo, you must rid yourself of ten Hag.

Giving the latter the OK means you’re fine with one of our potentially great talents having his development further derailed playing literal nonsense football.

Everything else is dire, but this is a cardinal sin and enough by itself for ten Hag to be shown the door.

KeanoMagicHat

I was willing to give him a chance if we had a mediocre season but with signs of potential. Comfortably 6th for example and dominating some games - even the way Chelsea have played in 2024 would be acceptable. But what’s happened has just been too terrible that I’ve lost the faith.

As mentioned, conceding 20 shots a game to smaller teams in the league we should be beating. Leaving massive gaps again and again that anyone can see, that MNF can easily highlight and not thinking to rectify it because it’s by design. It’s some of the worst performances I’ve seen post-Ferguson. And that’s saying something considering the shite we’ve served up since then.

Robbie Boy

If he's here next season, I'll deal with it. But, the likelihood is, if he's here, we'll have given him a new contract as it's unlikely we'll allow a manager go into the season with an expiring contract.

Much like Ole though, it won't mean much as he himself was sacked a matter of months after signing his new deal. But tbh, I was far more content with Ole having another season as opposed to ETH. At least with Ole, I had some optimism. With ETH, I feel it's a complete waste of time.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am not anti ETH. United has no football structure, our fitness team is a mess and our squad is made up of largely unsufferable group of people who can't be arsed to put a shift in. However while I believe that ETH is not the main problem, I do struggle to think of him as part of the solution.

A- He's got as much of a charisma as a dish cloth. That might not be an issue at a smaller club or in a league were players are raised from a very young age to simply obey and comply but its an issue in the UK. It takes so little for a player to simply not give a toss, go inside his shell and he simply doesn't perform. Then rumor of mental issues start circling around and suddenly the manager becomes the villain and the player the victim.

B- His tactics might work in a league were reaching CL semi final = winning the treble but it doesn't work in the EPL. A 1.75m CB is simply too weak to play in the EPL and will struggle in corners against some 6ft3 CB while a CM made up of 2 no 10s might work if you have a prime Keane but it won't cut it in the EPL. Actually it probably won't considering how lazy our wingers are.

C-ETH should have known better regarding Antony. The guy was nowhere near to 80m and while financials aren't a manager thing its a thing at Manchester United. That deal was set to reflect badly not only on Murtough but on him as well.

D- ETH should have known better about Sancho. He should have shut his gob and then he should have pushed like crazy to have him sold in the summer. We ended up having to loan him only to have his price plummet simply because no one really believe that Sancho can return to United.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Onana
Bayındır
Malacia
Lisandro
Evans
Kambwala
Casemiro
Amrabat
Mainoo
Eriksen
Mount
Antony
Garnacho
Højlund

14 of the current 26 man squad are his signings/loans/promotions. Forson should probably be included also. 15/27.

There has already been a massive overhaul from the end of the Ole/Rangnick season. Lots of players didn't outlast the last fiasco.

De Gea
Henderson
Grant
Telles
Jones
Tuanzebe
Bailly
Matić
Garner
Pogba
Fred
Andreas
Mata
Lingard
Chong
Ronaldo
Cavani

We're at a stage where we could sell at least half of ten Hag's signings. We've spent €445 million and don't have a lot to show for it.
Teden Mengi and Matej Kovar as well.
It's interesting that some of these guys are performing pretty well for other clubs, but obviously without the pressure that playing for United, and being ripped apart by some caf members week in week out brings.
Rightly, or wrongly, the academy graduates never really got a chance to perform in the first team on a regular basis, whether they would have become first team regulars is a moot point.

Oranges038

Onana
Bayındır
Malacia
Lisandro
Evans
Kambwala
Casemiro
Amrabat
Mainoo
Eriksen
Mount
Antony
Garnacho
Højlund

De Gea
Henderson
Grant
Telles
Jones
Tuanzebe
Bailly
Matić
Garner
Pogba
Fred
Andreas
Mata
Lingard
Chong
Ronaldo
Cavani

Garnacho was promoted under Ragnick.

Including youth team players like Mainoo, Kwambwala & Forson who were promoted youth team players as his signings is a bit much. They are young players promoted from the academy because they were deemed good enough or out of necessity. Why don't you bulk up your numbers and include Wheatley and Amass?

Red00012

Ten hag out closed followed by Lindelof , AWB , Varane , Casemiro , Antony, Rashford , Eriksen and Martial, Donny , Williams and Sancho
Avoid European football and it will enable us to have a smaller squad and start the rebuild .

MonkeysMagic

There is a very simple question fans need to ask themselves: do they believe that ETH is the manager that is going to lead a title winning side? Yes or No?

If you believe yes, you give him another year and and a contract extension, if he performs well. But if no, you have to move on and recruit someone else now!

I suspect the majority have made up their mind and sit in the latter group.

OmarUnited4ever

Ten Hag should and must go by end of the season, his performance as a head coach this season is appalling, compared to the previous season, the drop off is too much, even accounting for injuries, the drop off is way too much.

as for the shit players the squad is filled with, hopefully we unload some of them, few are leaving this summer already due to contracts expiring, or a loan ending, like Martial, Varane, Evans, and Amrabat, there is also some who might want to leave due game time issue like Eriksen or other issues like VdB and Sancho, and we might get teams interested in Maguire or McTominay, this is certainly not easy but it should be done really quickly.

Fallon d'Floor

Garnacho was promoted under Ragnick.

Including youth team players like Mainoo, Kwambwala & Forson who were promoted youth team players as his signings is a bit much. They are young players promoted from the academy because they were deemed good enough or out of necessity. Why don't you bulk up your numbers and include Wheatley and Amass?
Stop. He played 12 mins under Rangnick. ten Hag could have come in and decided not to use him. He fully integrated him instead of sending him back to PL2.

Apparently promotions, free transfers and loans don't count in the minds of certain Caftards. Xavi has done pretty well at Barcrelona based on these stipulations.

Amass hasn't even made his debut yet, so I think it is you who is doing a bit much. Wheatley and Amass are only in the squad due to injuries.

Garnacho, Mainoo, Kambwala and Forson are fully integrated 1st team players who ten Hag is happy to work with. He even started Forson over Antony and Amad vs Fulham at home.

Roboc7

Whether the manager stays or goes there is going to be a big turnover in the squad over next few years. There simply has to be when you look at the finances, contracts etc, let alone ability, injury records and performance. Also have to factor in that the manager is not going to be in control of who comes and goes.

It’s very simple for me, we are basically starting again from scratch, these last two years are a complete write off. We either start again with someone under extreme pressure, with all the baggage of the last two years or you start afresh with someone else.

The reason to keep him cannot be let’s see how it goes, given him one more year etc. That is such a low bar that a few bad results next season and he’s out the door. INEOS have to believe they can stick with him for 2-3 years and there have to be reasons why they believe he will be successful. There might not be stand out candidates to replace him but ETH wouldn’t be a stand out candidate himself.

I really don’t see what there is to gain from keeping him and why INEOS would even seriously entertain it.

Red Regista

Ten Hag has to go for the simple reason that he has shown time and time again that his tactics are completely inept for PL football. Not just this season, but also last season, where Brentford and Pool tore him a new one.

Even if we forget all of his other short comings (transfer business, handling of players, handling of media etc.) the fact that he is the worst tactician at United since Moyes is sackable in itself.

TrailMonkey

He appears to have no ideas of the demands and standards required to succeed at United (or in the PL in general). His BS pressers about number of shots conceded, goals conceded, games lost in this calendar year, being dynamic and exciting etc are all completely delusional. The team are laughing stock on the pitch and he is compounding this with his own fantasies.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If he sanctions the sale of one of his own under-performing players this summer (like Onana/Mount/Antony) to make way for a better player, it will do wonders for my belief in him.

Sometimes you don't always get it right, but you mustn't be afraid to correct a mistake.

It still doesn't remove my doubts on his tactical and injury management ability though.
True, but he got it wrong 9 out of 10

His good purchase you can only say probably Martinez, and that's that.

The other 9 were players he actually coached before and he still got it wrong

Oranges038

Stop. He played 12 mins under Rangnick. ten Hag could have come in and decided not to use him. He fully integrated him instead of sending him back to PL2.

Apparently promotions, free transfers and loans don't count in the minds of certain Caftards. Xavi has done pretty well at Barcrelona based on these stipulations.

Amass hasn't even made his debut yet, so I think it is you who is doing a bit much. Wheatley and Amass are only in the squad due to injuries.

Garnacho, Mainoo, Kambwala and Forson are fully integrated 1st team players who ten Hag is happy to work with. He even started Forson over Antony and Amad vs Fulham at home.
I don't really care if he gets sacked at this stage. I think it's inevitable and he only really has himself to blame. Garnacho was already part of the first team squad and Mainoo was the only one not promoted out of necessity. The other 3 or 4 are there because of injury and absence.

There's no need to make stuff up to say the same shit in a different thread.

spiriticon

True, but he got it wrong 9 out of 10

His good purchase you can only say probably Martinez, and that's that.

The other 9 were players he actually coached before and he still got it wrong
Agreed, but it's unlikely we can sell all of them in one transfer window.

What I want to see is a willingness to acknowledge his own mistakes and do corrections. He's made too many this year.

TheGodsInRed

Onana
Bayındır
Malacia
Lisandro
Evans
Kambwala
Casemiro
Amrabat
Mainoo
Eriksen
Mount
Antony
Garnacho
Højlund

De Gea
Henderson
Grant
Telles
Jones
Tuanzebe
Bailly
Matić
Garner
Pogba
Fred
Andreas
Mata
Lingard
Chong
Elanga
Ronaldo
Cavani

Onana
Malacia
Lisandro
Mount (although he wanted De Jong)
Højlund (although he wanted Kane)

These were Ten Haag signings imo. The others were hoisted upon him last minute in desperation because he couldn't get who he wanted. Similar to Van Goal and the others.

Orange Tree

Yes, I'm with you. Wait until December, sacrifice another season and hire Southgate because no one else is available in the middle of the season.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
A new three year contract for 'Aggy, Baby! He deserves it.

I am sure he'll do 100 times better with the players he didn't pick rather than the ones he handpicked. It kind of makes sense.

El Jefe

If we don’t qualify for Europe we will have a mass sale of players so many players want survive the new era if we were to get a new manager.

buchansleftleg

We've been here so many times before I truly don't know what is the best thing to do. What saved Fergie in a similar position was that senior figures at the club could see the improvements he had made in the youth and reserve setup. Changes that ultimately led to much higher levels of talent coming through from the youth team.

We seem to have some very good young players coming through, with a good pool of talent there. I don't know enough to say whether this is because of ETH, or despite his actions. Ultimately I can accept him staying IF he has had or will have a positive impact on those players. If the youth side are playing with a purpose and style that matches the clubs ambitions and history, but the first team can't do that yet because of FPP, player wages and keeping certain players "in the shop window" then I think we need to give ETH a fair crack of the whip once the last of the stables is cleared out.

I think he is paying the price for overpaying for some questionable talent and for accepting some terrible commercial decisions but only the club knows for sure what happened there.

Casemiro on a five year deal...Madness but was it a case of being told It's Casemiro or nothing else for 2 years?

I don't think he has helped his cause with some of the tactics and decisions but I wonder if he is trying to prove a point.

I don't see any stellar options to replace him and I still see players with questionable attitudes in the squad or on the treatment couch.

If we go full Brexit FC and get in Southgate I will just switch off until the inevitable happens and he goes 18 months after his honeymoon period ends and the players decide to stop running for him too.

Fallon d'Floor

I don't really care if he gets sacked at this stage. I think it's inevitable and he only really has himself to blame. Garnacho was already part of the first team squad and Mainoo was the only one not promoted out of necessity. The other 3 or 4 are there because of injury and absence.

There's no need to make stuff up to say the same shit in a different thread.
Stop it. Garnahco spent 5 weeks with the 1st team late last season. He's ten Hag's player. He made the decision to use him regularly. Gave him his 1st start.

As I said, ten Hag had both Antony and Amad available and decided to start Forson instead. That's not out of necessity.

You're fuming. Haha.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Yeah, Casemiro definitely was "hoisted upon" him even though he mentioned in a recent interview that he wanted to play a midfield of Case and De Jong.

Also, I am sure he was forced to go for Amrabat. Poor 'Aggy!

Hojlund came from his own agency, again hoisted upon 'Aggy, this time by his own people. (Did we check Ten Hack's bank accounts right after the deal was concluded?)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If we don’t qualify for Europe we will have a mass sale of players so many players want survive the new era if we were to get a new manager.
People have been saying this, but it’s extremely unlikely. Why? Because unless the players are bought out of their contracts or subsidised, it is just the Maguire loop run on infinite.

There’s going to be massive disappointment regarding sales come the end of summer. You need oil money to truly purge a squad.

Rockets Redglare

Onana
Malacia
Lisandro
Mount (although he wanted De Jong)
Højlund (although he wanted Kane)

These were Ten Haag signings imo. The others were hoisted upon him last minute in desperation because he couldn't get who he wanted. Similar to Van Goal and the others.
So Antony wasn’t a Ten Hag signing?

Cela shomana

I view it as blind faith because there's absolutely no indication that Ten Hag can improve this team's performance if given another year. He's consistently shown himself to be a one-dimensional manager, employing the same tactics and players regardless of results or performance. I'm puzzled by what some expect from him next season. It seems more prudent to change the manager and remove underperforming players altogether, rather than continuing to debate his competence into the new season. lets have a complete clean start next season. Many have already lost faith in his abilities, and I, once a staunch supporter of him, now have no doubts that he's not the right person for the job. While we can point fingers at players, the reality is that Ten Hag simply isn't up to par. If you want to give Ten Hag a chance then give Rashford the same opportunity because he was the main reason why we did well last season otherwise it is double standard. Continuing with Ten Hag will be gross negligence by INEOS. It will be acceptance of mediocracy and sending a wrong message. High performance organizations don't operate like that. they are ruthless and show no messy for underachieving. Real Madrid is not lucky, their standards are high.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I too am torn on whether I want him sacked or not.

I can certainly see a scenario where we keep Ten Hag and the club structure improves the recruitment, fitness/injuries, and we have a good couple of seasons leading us to where we should be as a club (competing for the biggest trophies)

And I also have reservations about bringing in a new manager when the structure isn't fully in place yet (Will Ashworth & Berrrada be at the club long enough to have any impact in the transfer window this Summer? If not, is next season already kind of a write-off anyway?)

However... INEOS' whole mandate seems to be about evaluating the current set-up and determining: are the roles occupied by the best possible person? Is the CEO the best possible person? No, so we've got Berrrada in. Is the DoF the best we can get? No. In comes Ashworth. So... Is Ten Hag the best man right now for the head coach role? (Not manager. Head coach. That's why I wouldn't include the Antony fiasco in this discussion)

Judging by this season, it's hard to justify Ten Hag's position, because...

- Just look at the table.

- It seems like nearly all the squad has had a bad season. Why hasn't he been able to motivate them and get the most of out them?

- Why has he been stubborn and stuck to playing with an open midfield leading to unprecedented amounts of chances and shots conceded?

- Why has he been stubborn and stuck to this way of playing when there's been little benefit in doing so (I know everyone has focused on the shots conceded - but the main thing that separates us from the likes of City, Arsenal etc. is goals scored)

- Why has two injuries to the squad (Martinez & Shaw) justified the whole season being thrown out the window?

After the disappointment that Sancho turned out to be, the transfer Muppet inside me died. I knew from then on we could never pin all our hopes on one player.

After EtH, who I thought could be 'the guy' to get us back to where we know we should be - I now don't place as much emphasis on the manager. We know that recruitment and structure is what matters and plays a huge part in why City and Liverpool are where they are.

If you look what Newcastle did under Ashworth, they more or less sacked the manager straight away, hired a new one, and virtually turned things around in one transfer window by adding Isak, Gordon & Guimaraes. Can Ashworth do the same at United? Or will there be a season of transition before?

If you think it can be done straight away, then a change of manager seems the likely option.

Who that manager is, that's another question.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
In my mind, not qualifying for the Champions League should've been an automatic sackable offense for any United manager.
Disagree. The sad fact is that we simply aren’t a CL standard team anymore and need to build towards this goal. Europa is our level and even that is a stretch. We are a fallen giant, a huge club with small team quality.
I fear that sacking Ten Hag and getting a new manager is going to land us in the exact same space we've been in for many years.
This is my worry too. If we do what we’ve always done, we will only get what we have always got. We need to try something else. We need to back the manager, give him support and guidance and let him build.
We've spent €445 million and don't have a lot to show for it.
ETH may have been responsible for choosing the targets, but I refuse to blame him for the money spent. That is squarely on the club and Murtough who clearly couldn’t negotiate their way out of a paper bag. The old way has been terrible at doing deals, hopefully the new way puts that right.
I wouldn't be against keeping him one more season (with zero say in transfers this summer) if he hadn't insisted on conceding 20 shots every game for nearly the whole season.

That is an unworkable style of play in the PL and he can't seem to see it.
If INEOS and the new directors are going to set a club style of play that is implemented through out our teams, then ETH will have to coach to this style. This removes his interpretation of tactics and sets clear boundaries for him to coach to. I’m much more optimistic about our playing style in this regard. I think we will see an improvement next season even if we stick with Erik.
I agree. Trying a new way is long overdue!
Including youth team players like Mainoo, Kwambwala & Forson who were promoted youth team players as his signings is a bit much.
hey, can’t knock a guy for trying! It’s hard to build a narrative without a little exaggeration!! ;)
We should probably play Brandon Williams, he could turn into Cafu next year
He’s better than Luke Shaw don’t ya know! :wenger: