Unpopular Opinion | Not sacking Ten Hag

tomaldinho1

I think we need a DNA test on ETH to make sure he isn't a clone of SAF, or some kind of doppelganger. Just to be on the safe side.

Because the amount of times someone has crashed into these threads saying things that could only make sense if the two were either twins or clones, there has to be something in it, right?
When you’ve posted more than double the amount of the next closest poster in the thread, it might be time to take a step back. Think everyone gets your view but if you’re not actually engaging in debate and just writing stuff like this, it really is just clogging up the thread.

hobbers

When you’ve posted more than double the amount of the next closest poster in the thread, it might be time to take a step back. Think everyone gets your view but if you’re not actually engaging in debate and just writing stuff like this, it really is just clogging up the thread.
Does it matter? This thread is just a fatberg of old excuses and re-runs of tired arguments from the ETH thread.

stevoc

During Fergusans first 5 yearas at OT he got 4th, 11th, 2nd, 12th and 13th but our weak board kept him on and the rest is history. I suspect if you were around then you may have been carrying the banner 'Fergusan out'. Personally I'm glad the board had the strength to keep him.
That was Ron Atkinson that finished 4th in 86.

If we look at Fergusons first 5 full seasons, because for some reason that seems to be the magic number.

1987-88 League 2nd, FA Cup 5th Round, League Cup 5th round.

1988-89 League 11th, FA Cup 6th Round, League Cup 3rd round.

1989-90 League 13th, FA Cup Winners, League Cup 3rd round.

1990-91 League 6th, FA Cup 5th Round, League Cup Runners up. Cup Winners Cup Winners.

1991-92 League 2nd, FA Cup 4th Round, League Cup Winners. Cup Winners Cup 2nd round. Super Cup Winners.

Though I have no idea what all the posts on here harking back to the 80's achieves. It's reductive, by this logic we should give every manager or in fact any manager 5 years no matter how badly they perform, because Ferguson got 5 years and went on to be successful. It's blind faith hoping for the same outcome. (Not accusing you specifically of this mate)

It's like those people on that South Pacific Island that ended up worshipping planes because the US Army landed on their Island and distributed food during WW2. So they built runways hoping the planes would come back.

tomaldinho1

Does it matter? This thread is just a fatberg of old excuses and re-runs of tired arguments from the ETH thread.
It should be a discussion about ETH in/out. There's no right answer but you just seem to be just be so closed off to any kind of balanced conversation, you literally wrote this to discredit him winning a cup (in which we knocked out Villa and beat Newcastle in the final without conceding any goals after the Villa win).

Yes he got to cup finals, even won a cup with the easiest run imaginable. All our previous incompetent managers also got to cup finals or won cups.
Surely you see how winning a cup is better than getting to a final? Surely you can agree 3 finals out of 4 (domestic) is pretty damn good in 2 seasons?

You don't rate him, no problem, but if you're coming to post in the thread don't just write silly stuff like "we need to DNA test ETH to make sure he's not SAF"...as if anyone ever even compared him to the great man. It's been a really crappy season for a number of reasons but some people are interested in debating about it, if you don't want to hear it just don't post surely?

hobbers

It should be a discussion about ETH in/out. There's no right answer but you just seem to be just be so closed off to any kind of balanced conversation, you literally wrote this to discredit him winning a cup (in which we knocked out Villa and beat Newcastle in the final without conceding any goals after the Villa win).

Surely you see how winning a cup is better than getting to a final? Surely you can agree 3 finals out of 4 (domestic) is pretty damn good in 2 seasons?

You don't rate him, no problem, but if you're coming to post in the thread don't just write silly stuff like "we need to DNA test ETH to make sure he's not SAF"...as if anyone ever even compared him to the great man. It's been a really crappy season for a number of reasons but some people are interested in debating about it, if you don't want to hear it just don't post surely?
Ironic because pretty much the only balanced conversation and debate in this thread was between me and benito. It's a thread where people pop up, give their 2 cents and check out. That's why only a dozen people have more than 10 posts.

Seems like you're only happy with debate if it's on your terms. Even the post you quoted there is clearly contributing to a debate - on the merits of winning a cup or getting to a cup final. Especially relevant in our case because our 3 previously sacked managers all got to cup finals, and 2 of them won cup finals, and in the end they all had no bearing on their trajectories as United manager.

Nori-

Its not that ETH isnt capable, it's that hes lost the changing room.

Once that happens theres no way back, players wont put in 100%, some might even be under performing on purpose to try and get him sacked.

Yes, the players are to blame in the scenario, but you cant make 20 world class signing in one window and start fresh, so he's got to go.

tomaldinho1

Ironic because pretty much the only balanced conversation and debate in this thread was between me and benito. It's a thread where people pop up, give their 2 cents and check out. That's why only a dozen people have more than 10 posts.

Seems like you're only happy with debate if it's on your terms. Even the post you quoted there is clearly contributing to a debate - on the merits of winning a cup or getting to a cup final. Especially relevant in our case because our 3 previously sacked managers all got to cup finals, and 2 of them won cup finals, and in the end they all had no bearing on their trajectories as United manager.
I don't even know what this means?

I'm happy to discuss with you, for example, why would you discount or undervalue any trophy win? It doesn't really matter what happens after that, the trophy is won and you can't then take that away or belittle the achievement. I'm very anti Carabao cup for what it's worth but it's 1 of the 2 domestic trophies we can win every year and we got to the final of the other one to be beaten by a team that's cheating. We're back in that same final this season (and have knocked out Pool en route so hardly an easy run) against the same cheating team. Can you at least accept that in knockouts he's been good?

El Zoido

Its not that ETH isnt capable, it's that hes lost the changing room.

Once that happens theres no way back, players wont put in 100%, some might even be under performing on purpose to try and get him sacked.

Yes, the players are to blame in the scenario, but you cant make 20 world class signing in one window and start fresh, so he's got to go.
Doesn’t really feel at all like he’s lost the dressing room. That’s not the impression I get watching us.

hobbers

I'm happy to discuss with you, for example, why would you discount or undervalue any trophy win? It doesn't really matter what happens after that, the trophy is won and you can't then take that away or belittle the achievement. I'm very anti Carabao cup for what it's worth but it's 1 of the 2 domestic trophies we can win every year and we got to the final of the other one to be beaten by a team that's cheating. We're back in that same final this season (and have knocked out Pool en route so hardly an easy run) against the same cheating team. Can you at least accept that in knockouts he's been good?
I wasn't undervaluing it. Winning a domestic cup is a solid achievement. Getting to a final is an achievement, but when you're Manchester United manager and you get to a domestic cup final and lose to City, that perception of that achievement inevitably shrinks to almost zero, honestly. I think most fans would rather lose in the quarters to a Fulham or a Leicester than see us beaten at Wembley by City. Also the goodwill Ten Hag enjoyed for winning the League Cup was all but cancelled out after the CL embarrassment.

But the main point is that domestic cup performance has proven across 3 managers, now 4, to be a bad predictor for them succeeding where it really matters.

tomaldinho1

I wasn't undervaluing it. Winning a domestic cup is a solid achievement. Getting to a final is an achievement, but when you're Manchester United manager and you get to a domestic cup final and lose to City, that perception of that achievement inevitably shrinks to almost zero, honestly. I think most fans would rather lose in the quarters to a Fulham or a Leicester than see us beaten at Wembley by City. Also the goodwill Ten Hag enjoyed for winning the League Cup was all but cancelled out after the CL embarrassment.

But the main point is that domestic cup performance has proven across 3 managers, now 4, to be a bad predictor for them succeeding where it really matters.
You seem genuinely unable to give the man any credit. No, going out in the quarters to Fulham isn’t the same as losing in the final…what planet are you from?

Yes or No. Is 3/4 domestic finals not good?

hobbers

You seem genuinely unable to give the man any credit. No, going out in the quarters to Fulham isn’t the same as losing in the final…what planet are you from?

Yes or No. Is 3/4 domestic finals not good?
Did you not read what I said? The credit he got for winning a league cup is pretty much cancelled out by getting 4 points and negative goal difference in an easy CL group.

Going out in the quarters is not the same as going out in the final, yes very astute but not what I said. Losing a final to City feels worse for United fans than going out to some random team in the quarters. Nobody looks back fondly on a season where they lost in an FA cup final to their closest rivals. Nobody will look back fondly on a United manager because he took us to two FA cup finals if he loses them both to City. It's not a difficult or controversial point for christ sake.

James35

During Fergusans first 5 yearas at OT he got 4th, 11th, 2nd, 12th and 13th but our weak board kept him on and the rest is history. I suspect if you were around then you may have been carrying the banner 'Fergusan out'. Personally I'm glad the board had the strength to keep him.
I was around then and I know all about Fergusons first 5 years thanks. A man who broke the Glasgow dominance in Scotland, winning the clubs first European trophy, he came here with a much better CV than EtH. It was also after the first 3-3.5 years people (not me) were calling for his head so thank God for Mark Robbins and all that. We did win a European trophy and FA Cup in those first 4.5 years. Ferguson also ended the drinking culture and focused on the youth set up when he arrived at the club, he was very transformative behind the scenes. He also lost only 14 of his first 75 league games in charge and not 24 like ten Hag, conceding only 24 goals and not 63 after a string of highly embarrassing defeats (with or without injuries). He also didn’t have United looking like one of the very worst teams in the league most weeks after spending an absolute fortune on some shocking signings.

I’m extremely glad the board kept Alex and I’ll be extremely unhappy if they keep Erik…ten Hag shouldn’t even be spoken of in the same breath as SAF.

Also by your logic why didn’t we keep any of the previous 4 managers? Moyes would be approaching his second double by now.

tomaldinho1

Did you not read what I said? The credit he got for winning a league cup is pretty much cancelled out by getting 4 points and negative goal difference in an easy CL group.

Going out in the quarters is not the same as going out in the final, yes very astute but not what I said. Losing a final to City feels worse for United fans than going out to some random team in the quarters. Nobody looks back fondly on a season where they lost in an FA cup final to their closest rivals. Nobody will look back fondly on a United manager because he took us to two FA cup finals if he loses them both to City. It's not a difficult or controversial point for christ sake.
So when I said to you you’re clearly not interested in actually discussing things. You’ve yet again ignored a yes or no reply to deflect again to this bizarre idea of getting to finals being a bad thing.

Marcus

It's more bang for buck to just keep EtH for one more year. And allow the changes in corporate structure to be in place before hiring end of next season. Even if you get someone in new now, we are going to have to pay over the odds for players to join a non CL club and even a new manager would be hampered this way. Then the cycle repeats.

OldRed1

You can polish a turd, only at United. Or in other words, 6 years transforms any mediocre failing manager to peak SAF. Or maybe to Arteta.

Also heard before for Moyes and Ole.
What a load of utter crap. I at no time claimed we should keep ETH. Who am I to make such a claim, I don't know what goes on with the club except the utter garbage written by the media. It's probably a good bet that nobody else on here know's what's happening either but to make a statement that the club is weak if they keep him on is ludicrous. Personally I believe that if the board keep him on then they have a good reason to do so and if they sack him then so be it, It's not for me to say what they should do although I do have an opinion.