Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I sort of try to stop myself commenting on him lately as I feel I may just have it in for Onana at this stage and it might cloud my judgement

but I really didn’t think much of his efforts for their 2nd or 3rd

Dearg hÉireann

After watching him play since the start of the season, I can honestly say, there wouldn't be a huge drop off if we stuck big Harry Maguire in goal. Onana is rigid on shots, clueless positionally and erratic on crosses.

If Ten Hag goes at the end of season, I guarantee he'll follow him out the door because no way a new manager will want him anywhere near the starting 11.

El Zoido

He’s not as bad as a lot of people are saying, but he’s not very good either. Really average gk. He reminds me of Mark Bosnich, where he had a respectable career up to when he joined us, but it was clear he was never the one to replace Schmeichel. Never felt like a safe pair of hands. I get the same feeling from Onana. In hindsight it’s a really weird signing.

OleGunnar20

I'd happily take DDG back and I was very keen on moving on from him. Blimey this guy is bad.q

Conor

Could someone tell me what he was supposed to do for any of their goals tonight?

peridigm

Along with everything else we need this summer, add a #1 to that list.

The Irish Connection

Can't believe there's a few United supporters defending this guys performances in goal for us this season.

I mean hell he even aknowledged it in an interivew just last month that his performances is below par.
Just not good enough. A top goalkeeper is so important.

i wouldn’t actually blame him for the goals they scored tonight, it was that brain dead moment when he came off his line, only to be saved by Martinez.

Conor

How about saving? Penalty - dove prematurely, 2:nd - doesn’t close down fast enough/bad reflexes, 3:rd positioned all wrong.
You need to actually watch a game at normal speed, not 14 replays in slo-mo.

Waynne

Just not good enough. A top goalkeeper is so important.

i wouldn’t actually blame him for the goals they scored tonight, it was that brain dead moment when he came off his line, only to be saved by Martinez.
Maybe his positioning could be better but overall not what I would call United quality.

Hope he will improve massively and prove us all wrong but I doubt it.

Ghostrider318

He trash. We will forever be shaky at the back due to his inability to save anything thats not a tame shot straight at him ( even then he has let those in ).

Spurs signed a keeper for half the price and he is twice the player Onana is

Chinchy98

3rd is poor keeping again. The inverse of Henderson against liverpool at OT, poor positioning at the far post.

Shot went a foot inside the post, objectively not good enough. A bit weak for the 2nd but that’s nitpicking.

Another assault on the opposition when coming for a cross.

He’a 27, this is the finished article in terms of development. Think we’ve bought a lemon tbh.

Footwork and positioning are not up to standard. Has quality on the ball & is press resistant, but everything else is below the standards needed

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Penalty is only his fault! If he hadnt dived out of the way it would have been a routine save!
Yeah, the easy thing about penalties is that you always know exactly where the player is going to shoot.

frostbite

The guy made a save with his hands, made a save with his legs, made a save with his chest, made a save with his head ... and you are still unhappy? What do you want him to do?

slaggy

this is what you get when you want keepers with personality...barthez vibes.

sparx99

Along with everything else we need this summer, add a #1 to that list.
Given the fee for paid I think our best hope might be in trying to find a young wonderkid goalie who could steal the job or an older veteran on the cheap. There are a couple of highly rated young keepers around.

I can’t get over Inter signing Onana for free then after a year selling him for €50m to us and replacing him with Sommer for €6m! €44m profit and an upgrade!

Then to top it off we paid €50m and lost De Gea for free! It’s these sort of things that kills you on FFP.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

You need to actually watch a game at normal speed, not 14 replays in slo-mo.
Their second goal was pathetically weak goalkeeping. Most top level keepers command their area and make themselves big. Onana is petrified of coming off his line.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Still struggling to understand how a goalkeeper who is so technically poor at the basics of goalkeeping has made it to the top of the game.
Because people seem to think that players who can play the ball are the answer to everything even if they’re not that good at what their actual role is supposed to do.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If he makes a save it's because a shot hits him.
I was listening to the match on the radio and Paul Robinson was commenting about Onana body position and foot movement which was interesting. To me, he is not a natural goalkeeper. And he doesn't have a goalkeeper natural instinct. Far too often he is flat footed instead of being on his toes ready to move instinctively.

How many other PL sides would have him...

Nogbadthebad

He looks like a competition winner.

Guess where the ball is in this image and YOU could play in goal for Manchester United.

John O Shea had more idea of positioning in goal, and he only played there once.

simplyared

The guy made a save with his hands, made a save with his legs, made a save with his chest, made a save with his head ... and you are still unhappy? What do you want him to do?
You mean he stopped it with is hands, it hit his legs, hit his chest, hit his head. He came off his line once to take a cross which he should have held, was nowhere near and could have been a goal in empty net. His positioning for their 3rd goal and his actions for the 2nd were horrendous. No way this man should be our no 1 goalkeeper!

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
this is what you get when you want keepers with personality...barthez vibes.
i'm afraid so, Barthez could play a blinder one game and then make a huge cock up the next, and he was here for a few seasons and never improved too. Thing is, Berrada seen this at City with Pep''s boy Claudio Bravo and they were ruthless in fixing it, i think he will do the same here in the close season. Onana is on borrowed time and unless he shows massive improvment over the next few months he will be gone. Also i not one of these that wants DeGea back, great lad and keeper when he was here but it was time to move on, his wage demands were ridiculous.

decorativeed

I remember the feeling of dread I had whenever Peter Schmeichel was injured and we had to play Gary Walsh. Sad thing is if gladly take a chance on a 55 year old Walsh over Onana.

Wilt

He looks like a competition winner.

Guess where the ball is in this image and YOU could play in goal for Manchester United.

John O Shea had more idea of positioning in goal, and he only played there once.
Good idea for a weekly ‘Onana Spot The Ball’ competition

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He reminds me of Mark Bosnich, where he had a respectable career up to when he joined us, but it was clear he was never the one to replace Schmeichel. Never felt like a safe pair of hands.
That's a bit harsh on Bosnich. He got incredibly unlucky that his hamstrings decided to give up the goat pretty much immediately after he moved here. He could barely kick the ball after that without pulling his hamstrings and I'm sure it impacted his agility and movement.