Unpopular opinion: Ronaldo will be a huge miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

norm87cro

He has obviously declined but he is 36 and it really isnt a dig at him. I can see him scoring 25 to 30 in all competitions. In no circustamce is that a miss.

Last edited:

onemanarmy

His tracking back was amazing last night. He ran the entire pitch several times to take the ball from an opponent. Long may it last.

Deery

Dreary
His tracking back was amazing last night. He ran the entire pitch several times to take the ball from an opponent. Long may it last.
Was immense last night think he put everything into it though, maybe won’t get the same performance against Liverpool which is understandable given his age but I hope I’m wrong..

Noc-Z

ffs
He was excellent last night. But to me, we need to play with creative wingers to get the most out of him, and we don't. Greenwood isn't a right winger, he's class and he's young and developing but he should be developed as a striker. And Rashford is more of a wide forward, I don't see him really creating for others much - putting in crosses etc. he's more direct. Maybe Ole thinks he needs to flank Ronaldo with pace rather than creativity? But to me Sancho should at least play RW.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
I really thought Ole had cracked it after the Leeds game. Greenwood tintillating as CF, Pogba finding a Niche and creating from the left, James providing width on the right, soon to be replaced by Sancho, Varane announced, Camavinga or Neves coming in... and then I hear we're signing Ronaldo...

captaincantona

I really thought Ole had cracked it after the Leeds game. Greenwood tintillating as CF, Pogba finding a Niche and creating from the left, James providing width on the right, soon to be replaced by Sancho, Varane announced, Camavinga or Neves coming in... and then I hear we're signing Ronaldo...
Agreed. He has changed the way we have to play and while nostalgia is great, he is simply not a player we can afford to accommodate. We are not dominant or comfortable enough keeping possession play a front 3 that doesn’t press and having Bruno cover him just opens up the midfield for anyone to play through. This is so sad to watch.

Something something 36-year-old prima donna causing more problems than he solves.

Lovely to see Juventus flying too, now they're finally rid of his overbearing presence!

432JuanMata

It’s ironic that most of the team this season have been a huge miss and he’s been a success.
He is 36 and while still a top player he needs too have a team supporting him which isn’t happening this season

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Something something 36-year-old prima donna causing more problems than he solves.

Lovely to see Juventus flying too, now they're finally rid of his overbearing presence!
I feel there is a debate to be had, how good this version of Cristiano Ronaldo still is. And, how much sacrifice (read tactical adjustments) rest of the team have to make, for him to work and thrive.

At the same time, this narrative of us being a much better side with Cavani in the XI is so overblown. Especially, on back of Gary Neville pointing this out and our fans parroting it ad nauseam, constantly citing pressing stats.

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus

For This season, Juventus is finished same as Manchester United. It is like we copy eachother. The difference is, we don't have what Manchester United has. We have a Future, For Manchester it is just for present or Paste.. What surprise me though is, whenever Ole is on the finished line Manchester wins. It is like the FA guys playing some game. And then the fans become happy like they don't know it is just Tottenham.

Ludens the Red

For This season, Juventus is finished same as Manchester United. It is like we copy eachother. The difference is, we don't have what Manchester United has. We have a Future, For Manchester it is just for present or Paste.. What surprise me though is, whenever Ole is on the finished line Manchester wins. It is like the FA guys playing some game. And then the fans become happy like they don't know it is just Tottenham.
Who’s this guy?

You’re like 10th in a farmers league. The future is bleak for Juventus.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I was one of the first to comment on this thread. I was talking about what he’d offer with Bruno Mason and Rashy behind him. I thought he’d take Cavani out of the team (Cavani is a huge player for us and was last season too) and we’d miss the press. Lo and behold ole finds a way to press and feed Ronaldo and all is good. Cavani up beside him is such a massive upgrade in fight and unpredictability.

Best game of the season since Leeds

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Future as mid table club of the league? You guys also scored as many goals as relegation teams with your new future attack.

432JuanMata

Scored late goals against Villarreal and Atlanta, got the ball rolling yesterday and has been in the news as the one trying to bring the dressing room together. He literally is saving Ole’s job. His finish last week and this week when offside was clinical too. We supply him he will get the numbers

Strootman's Finger

I love Ronaldo, I am glad he is back, but he does seem to have a certain effect on teams, the Ronaldo effect as I call it. He will do really well individually, but the rest of the team will suffer. Ronaldo's last couple seasons of his first stint were his highest scoring, 7/8 - 31 goals and 8/9 - 18 goals. The team in those years scored 80 and 68 respectively. In the two years after he left we scored 9/10 - 86 goals and 10/11 78 goals. So without Ronaldo we scored similar, actually more goals, Rooney went from 12 a season in Ronaldo's last 2 seasons, to 26, 11, and 27 goals a season in the following three seasons. Berbatov scored more without Ronaldo around too.

And now we are seeing less output from virtually everyone, particularly Bruno and Cavani since Ronaldo's return. I didn't watch Juventus, but my dad did, I never told him my theory about Ronaldo, and his opinion off Ronaldo at Juventus, he played really well, but at the expense of everyone around him. I haven't crunched those numbers, so I can only take my dad's word.

Ronaldo is guaranteed to score you goals, they are just not additional goals.

Reactions: Sultan
He will do really well individually, but the rest of the team will suffer.
Literally nobody who watched us during Ronaldo's first stint here will try and argue this with a straight face.

We scored 231 league goals in the three seasons we had him at his peak, and 253 in the three seasons after he left - those are the numbers, sure. The more important numbers (and again, I genuinely don't believe this has to be said on a Manchester United forum) are the three consecutive league titles we won with him, compared to the one without him. There was also the small matter of that Champions League win.

Yup, played really well at the expense of everyone around him for sure. Juventus are definitely feeling the benefits of being rid of him, for what it's worth.

FattyFooty

I love Ronaldo, I am glad he is back, but he does seem to have a certain effect on teams, the Ronaldo effect as I call it. He will do really well individually, but the rest of the team will suffer. Ronaldo's last couple seasons of his first stint were his highest scoring, 7/8 - 31 goals and 8/9 - 18 goals. The team in those years scored 80 and 68 respectively. In the two years after he left we scored 9/10 - 86 goals and 10/11 78 goals. So without Ronaldo we scored similar, actually more goals, Rooney went from 12 a season in Ronaldo's last 2 seasons, to 26, 11, and 27 goals a season in the following three seasons. Berbatov scored more without Ronaldo around too.

And now we are seeing less output from virtually everyone, particularly Bruno and Cavani since Ronaldo's return. I didn't watch Juventus, but my dad did, I never told him my theory about Ronaldo, and his opinion off Ronaldo at Juventus, he played really well, but at the expense of everyone around him. I haven't crunched those numbers, so I can only take my dad's word.

Ronaldo is guaranteed to score you goals, they are just not additional goals.
He does have a certain effect on teams?

He won hes team 3 champions league in a row. Thats the same as United in our whole history.

So its a bad thing if Cavani score 3 goals less and we win the Champions league?

You go on about everyone else gets worse and its a bad thing. Then you ignore how many CL he won hes teams.

He even made Modric win ballon d or.

Last edited:

Strootman's Finger

He does have a certain effect on teams?

He won hes team 3 champions league in a row. Thats the same as United in our whole history.

So its a bad thing if Cavani score 3 goals less and we win the Champions league?

You go on about everyone else gets worse and its a bad thing. Then you ignore how many CL he won hes teams.

He even made Modric win ballon d or.
What player on the team has improved since Ronaldo has arrived?

For the record, again, I love Ronaldo, think he is the greatest ever and I am glad he's back, but when he's anywhere it becomes the Ronaldo show. And this may be good for two seasons, but we have a club to run after he leaves too.

FattyFooty

What player on the team has improved since Ronaldo has arrived?

For the record, again, I love Ronaldo, think he is the greatest ever and I am glad he's back, but when he's anywhere it becomes the Ronaldo show. And this may be good for two seasons, but we have a club to run after he leaves too.

Benzema scores more when Ronaldo left.
But hes not gonna win them the Champions League.

Ronaldo has won champions league 4-5 times. He was the best overall player in all of thoose wins. You cant really complain about others scoring less when there team is taken to glory they never would have if it wasnt for him.

Football is a team game. If the team improve, you shouldent complain about some people score less.

Im sure if Rashford loves united the way he say he does, he probably be happy if he score 5 goals less and lift the League title. :)

lex talionis

I’m not sure if this was meant to be joke thread or not. It would difficult to identify a more impactful player in the squad, either in foresight or now in hindsight, than Ronaldo.

NewYorkRed

Sensible Opinion: Stop trying to scapegoat the greatest player of all time, without whom we would be out of the CL right now.

Instead think about shifting blame on the genius that bought VdB and Sancho and doesn’t have the balls to start them. This is so sad to type and I never thought in a billion years three years ago that I would ever say this, but he’s even more of a cowardly manager than Jose. I hated Mourinho in the end because he was a pus*y. Ole is an even bigger one right now.

Ronaldo is the reason he’s still in a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.