Unpopular opinion: Ronaldo will be a huge miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The crosses were very ordinary, the kind Shaw or Bruno can play with ease. Ronaldo makes them into goals with incredible instincts and an exceptional leap. If all we need to do is put in basic crosses like that, we’re laughing. The idea that “just” scoring the two winning goals in a poor team performance is nothing to write home about is pretty silly…that’s what wins titles.
He’s one of the best I’ve ever seen in the air. We’ve missed that up until Cavani came in. Look you’re right. 2 goals wins the game Thats all anyone will remember and that’s fair enough. Not sure we need a poacher but Ronaldo is Ronaldo at the end of the day

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
FFS RAJMA YOU GOWL.

You couldn't just wait til after the fecking game could you ?

:lol: In my defense, I’ve said that I don’t see him as #9 and if anything this game has proven it right when he was moved to the left the space opened up for him. That’s why I created a thread yesterday suggesting he can deliver for us by playing off the Cavani rather than being a lone striker as majority on here seem to think
I’ve said in multiple threads that he played “off the left” 2 seasons ago with Juve, as a second striker almost but with a left sided starting position.
I’ll think he’ll play plenty there and up top depending on the game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The crosses were very ordinary, the kind Shaw or Bruno can play with ease. Ronaldo makes them into goals with incredible instincts and an exceptional leap. If all we need to do is put in basic crosses like that, we’re laughing. The idea that “just” scoring the two winning goals in a poor team performance is nothing to write home about is pretty silly…that’s what wins titles.
Yeah, his movement and leap/hang time for those goals was exceptional. In fact it’s pretty much unique in football. I agree with @Ali Dia that it was an underwhelming performance until then but having a player who can win matches out of nothing like that is such a huge boost.

I really do worry how well he will gel with Bruno though. That’s a spicey aul’ problem for Ole to solve. Hope he’s up to it.

Chief123

Ireland are championship level lads. Ronaldo is world class? He hasn’t looked anything like a World class player. Just a poacher in the heavy favourites team like he was most of the time at Juve too.

Hopefully he’s better for us than he was tonight.
The absolute state of this post. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

AneRu

Misty eyed? I’m Irish, I would have rathered we held on. I just watched him struggle against a league of Ireland / premier league u23 / championship level team. He got the goals but did nothing for the team in 88 mins. If he’s going to play as a poacher for us he’s going to get marked out of it and kicked out of it more often than the majority seem to think. Also thinking it’s possibly going to change Brunos role for the worse
Wasn't he playing against some of the best defenders in the world at the Euros where he was top scorer just a few months back? The way some of you overrated PL defenders you would think of them PL teams are fielding VVD and prime Vidic and City aren't thumping most of them for five every other week. The guy is winner, he will be fine as long as we are not expecting 2015 Ronaldo.

Chief123

Not even an hour has passed since the thread was created and it’s already aged well :lol: :lol:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think we already had Cavani who already offered exactly what we will want from Ronaldo. It’s a mixture of sentimentality and marketing opportunism. I don’t think he’s physical or hardworking enough to trouble the better PL defenders. I also don’t think we are creative enough to make pure chances for him over and over. He’s probably going to cancel Bruno out somewhat. We are a scrappy team and I feel like we needed more fighters instead of technical players or world class players on the way down. i hope I’m wrong.

He scores. He was shite tonight though.
Hes ten times the player Cavani is

Pickle85

Awesome, another 'hot take' on Ronaldo. Definitely needed its own thread.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Hes ten times the player Cavani is
I could be way off, I am wrong a lot. I didn’t really want Cavani when he came but I could see by the end of the season he was helping the young lads and he was fighting and pressing like a machine and making spaces and runs we hadn’t really seen for years plus the areal thread. you’re right about Ronaldo still being a much better player but have this feeling he’s going to play it like a low pressure poacher and I’m not entirely sure how we are going to get the best out of him and vice versa.

Abraxas

I'd be surprised if he kept up the goalscoring record he had for Madrid and Juve, I just don't think we're that type of side. I think he's pretty much going to be as successful as the chances we create. I'm not expecting him to run through teams every week.

If we get good quality crossed into him, or manage to find him in any space around the box, he will score plenty. But it would be naive to think that our slow tempo play and ability to give the ball away won't be a factor in how many goals he can score or won't result in some games where he looks isolated.

Rajma

Some of you guys need to chill, especially, the ones PMing me over this thread. You would think that my prediction or expectations = my wishes. Let’s not get overboard.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I could be way off, I am wrong a lot. I didn’t really want Cavani when he came but I could see by the end of the season he was helping the young lads and he was fighting and pressing like a machine and making spaces and runs we hadn’t really seen for years plus the areal thread. you’re right about Ronaldo still being a much better player but have this feeling he’s going to play it like a low pressure poacher and I’m not entirely sure how we are going to get the best out of him and vice versa.
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. The guys an animal and a world class footballer. That’s what matters ultimately

Deery

Dreary
Poor OP must feel really stupid now. If he can score 15 goals all season I’d be happy great to have him back…

RetroStu

I'd be surprised if he kept up the goalscoring record he had for Madrid and Juve, I just don't think we're that type of side. I think he's pretty much going to be as successful as the chances we create. I'm not expecting him to run through teams every week.
Well Portugal created hardly any clear chances today, and he scored twice so.
Sorry doubters but Ronaldo has an answer for everything.

SirScholes

It'll sound weird but I'm not actually that fussed over how good he is.

I just can't wait to see the guy play for us again.
I’m with you
Not arsed, this is a dream come true, no matter when it happened

I was equally buzzing when scholes came out of retirement and that turned out ok

Pickle85

Some of you guys need to chill, especially, the ones PMing me over this thread. You would think that my prediction or expectations = my wishes. Let’s not get overboard.
Attention seeking thread in attracting attention shocker.

Rajma

Attention seeking thread in attracting attention shocker.
It wasn’t the intention though. Sometimes people are not really arsed about voicing their opinion (you can now see why) so just wanted to see the poll.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Can you imagine us losing to Sheff Utd at home with Ronaldos leadership? Or going to pens Villarreal? Or just drawing 1-1 away to WBA?

Ronaldo will get us over the line in these situations.

RedChisel

Why do people have to hyper analyze everything. Just enjoy having one of the greatest to ever play the game back at the club.

Crustanoid

1. His wages will stretch the frontier which agents will be able to explore when dealing with us over contract extensions in the future (we have seen this in the past already with Sanchez, Pogba, DDG). See Barca.

2. Non-existent defensive contributions will impact our shape and will put an immense pressure on our midfielders. Everyone could see the difference between Cavani and Martial last season and how it impacts our ability to press effectively from the front.

3. He can’t play with his back at all and do the hold-up as he only operates well in spaces since he’s not your classic #9.

4. In case he’ll be performing poorly Ole will shy away to change him due to his status and ego in order not to upset him, which will hinder our team.

I personally feel he’ll end up being a costly mistake for us (taking away the balance that Cavani brings) and Ole (will ultimately lose the job as a result) when you don’t look through the euphoria lenses. I may be underestimating Ronaldo greatly here but this is my feeling with respect to this transfer, having watched him play these last few seasons where he struggled to influence the games when he’s not scoring penalties or poaching goals are not on.

Can we do a poll on this?
He’ll be a 21st century Cantona. Chill

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
What a day to create this thread. Should have waited till the whole game was over not just one half.

RetroStu

This threads going to be a popular one for a laugh this season :lol:
Even if he scores 40 goals this season, at the end of the season we will still get the odd 'I still dont tink da club did da right decision wit Ronaldoooooo' thread, and plenty of posts.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
:lol: In my defense, I’ve said that I don’t see him as #9 and if anything this game has proven it right when he was moved to the left the space opened up for him. That’s why I created a thread yesterday suggesting he can deliver for us by playing off the Cavani rather than being a lone striker as majority on here seem to think
So, play him off the wing, with Cavani up top then. Cavani drops deep often, Ronaldo will fill in. Between them, they'll score so many goals, we won't be able to keep up.

Rajma

So, play him off the wing, with Cavani up top then. Cavani drops deep often, Ronaldo will fill in. Between them, they'll score so many goals, we won't be able to keep up.
That’s my dream scenario as well I even created a thread on this exact point yesterday suggesting this!

SER19

Ronaldo performed at an average level with a side playing poorly and struggling against a low block counter attack team. They looked destined to lose or draw just as United have countless times in recent years in games like that. Then he pulled two goals out of his arse and won them the game. If you can't see how he'll help us here you need help

VivaRonaldo85

I see no reason why he won’t score 20+ goals for us this season providing he keeps sound. Hilarious OP

Status
Not open for further replies.