"Up to 11 players now want to leave United after becoming disillusioned with life at the club."

MUFC OK

Yes, when he said rashford needs to concentrate on football. That was clearly an instruction from above, not a good sign
Oles comments were taken out of context too tbf.

That was a terrible sign. Rashford has more day than anyone gives him credit for, let’s not forget his brother cussing Jose too.

Mylock

I just said this to my mate, my best day ever at work would be telling those 11-17 players where the door was after those chats about them being unhappy.
The funny thing is that I believe this 11 - 17 player is bullshit, but there are 17 players that could be got rid of and I don't think anyone would care too much.

Red00012

If this was FM my squad would be full of UNH and I’d sell the whole lot of them.

edcunited1878

I don’t think it’s aimed at Ole, I think it’s more pointing out that people knew Ole was being thrown under the bus by the players and yet he still supported them, because he’s a decent, yet soft, bloke
He didn't shame them publicly, but there were lines drawn, which were crossed at the end. I don't for one believe that Ole would promise anything to players, especially the likes of Bailly, VDB, Henderson, Lingard, Dalot, etc. They all have to earn their playing time and roles within a squad. Only 11 players can start, and for the most part under Ole, the team selections and players who consistently played were the correct ones.

Henderson, Bailly, a fullback, Pogba, Mata, Lingard, VDB, Martial, and possibly Cavani would be the players who have seriously considered or considered leaving. That's 9 players at most.

Mata(?), Lingard, Pogba, and Cavani are free to leave in the summer. Henderson and Bailly are on long term contracts and they know they aren't clear choice number 1s, so nothing was given to them on a golden plate. VDB and Martial I can understand being frustrated, especially VDB. Nobody else in the first team should have real issues with life at the club because they are regular players or they are too young/inexperienced to even complain like an Amad.

acnumber9

Klopp got rid of 13 players in his first two summer windows and brought in guys still central to his team today. Salah, Mane, Robertson, (Wijnaldum who was key to his success. I remember him signing him and saying that he won't sign the most expensive players, he'll sign the best players for his team.) Rangnick or any other united manager doesnt deserve this chance? You can call it a better squad and it probably is but its going on 5 years without winning a thing. Nothing. Not a league cup or europa league they thought they were too good for.

The double standard for our managers versus others is absolutely mind boggling.
Klopp was backed because of who he was. You know that it is possible to back the wrong manager. By all means back him if he looks like being the right man. If not, then things can get worse.

acnumber9

We saw exactly how he wants us to play in those first 30 minutes of his reign. He's completely changing the whole style of play from formation, to intensity, to how we are supposed to progress the ball. He's had at most 6 true training sessions (most have which have been preparation for the next game). Leaks are coming out that the players are finding training 'oppressive'.

You can watch any of his past football teams, and yes whilst they may not have won anything (mostly because they were all smaller sides), they have a style and are quite obviously very well coached. I think we can quite confidently say its a mixture of a lack of time to instil his ideas and a set of players that just aren't up to the task.

The quality of teams are perhaps the easiest he could have asked for, but in terms of the reality and context the start has been far from easy. Losing three key coaches who have trained the team every day for a long time upsets the working balance. Having a 2 week Covid outbreak upsets the balance and on top of that you have the busiest period of the year immediately following the squad's recovery from Covid.

It would have been nice to see some progress, but it isn't necassarily expected when this team has been playing in this disinterested a manner frankly since March. Usually you see a new manager bounce because theyve had a medium run of poor performances and before the rot sets in, a new manager is brought in. The rot has been in this team for ~9 months.

Just be a bit patient before calling for the new manager's head and being all doom and gloom. You'll enjoy life just that bit more. For me if by Burnley at the beginning of Feb, after a month where we only have three more games and they are well spaced out, we so 0 improvement, then yes time to worry. Give him time to actually coach the team to not play practically the same style of football we've played since the beginning of Jose's reign.
Have you really watched lots of his teams play? Regardless of whether he has been capable of that in the past it doesn’t mean that he still is. If he was the wonder coach people have portrayed then I find it weird he was sitting as director of football at Lokomtiv Moscow.

I can perfectly enjoy life while questioning if the current United manager is good enough. Just great advice though.

rooneyberbatov

They're unhappy after 6 games and like 2 weeks of proper training? Has the world gone mad? :houllier:

crossy1686

career ending
He didn't shame them publicly, but there were lines drawn, which were crossed at the end. I don't for one believe that Ole would promise anything to players, especially the likes of Bailly, VDB, Henderson, Lingard, Dalot, etc. They all have to earn their playing time and roles within a squad. Only 11 players can start, and for the most part under Ole, the team selections and players who consistently played were the correct ones.

Henderson, Bailly, a fullback, Pogba, Mata, Lingard, VDB, Martial, and possibly Cavani would be the players who have seriously considered or considered leaving. That's 9 players at most.

Mata(?), Lingard, Pogba, and Cavani are free to leave in the summer. Henderson and Bailly are on long term contracts and they know they aren't clear choice number 1s, so nothing was given to them on a golden plate. VDB and Martial I can understand being frustrated, especially VDB. Nobody else in the first team should have real issues with life at the club because they are regular players or they are too young/inexperienced to even complain like an Amad.
Lines were crossed because there were no consequences for crossing them with Ole, which led to his eventual sacking.

He didn’t have to shame anyone but he should have been more transparent and said it how it is with some players. Only the stuff Ralf has said already eg. I’m not going to convince anyone to stay, no new contract no playing time, injured players shouldn’t be recovering away from the club etc.

At least don’t protect them when they’re being dicks, you’re making a rod for your own back.

Stig

It is 5th January and nobody has left nor been bought yet.

Just saying.

HailtotheKing

I have a strong feeling Rangnicks influence will be quite big. Murtough really likes him and Arnold is hands off. Undoubtedly Ralph is taking notes of this and will probably cause havok on the squas when he moves upstairs.
Yeah, I’m genuinely worried about that part to be honest. All this director of football like talk when nothing has really been defined. A two year consultant means they don’t actually have to listen to a word he says. Meanwhile we have Darren Fletcher on the sidelines acting like a coach. They couldn’t could they?

But above all else if this goes tits up I can’t see him being hired as a “consultant” in any case. Is Murtough really strong enough to resist the instinct to cut his losses and enjoy a mutual end?

Last edited:

Oldtraffordboy

I don't think you can lay the blame just at fringe players.

Our senior players include Matic, Maguire, Bruno, Ronaldo, Pogba and DDG for all the talent (okay maybe not maguire) they are not personalities who I would hang my hat on in tough times.

Looking from the outside, I don't believe they're showing any leadership or support to the other lads

The rest of the squad probably look up to them, so I'm not surprised at all that the atmosphere is like it is.

Add to that to that the other players who aren't even getting a look in, I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

The United

Klopp was backed because of who he was. You know that it is possible to back the wrong manager. By all means back him if he looks like being the right man. If not, then things can get worse.
What concerns me is that United have a habit of hiring past-it managers who lived on their past reputation and didn't really work out here. I mean Jose was not exactly totally past-it when we hired him. Even he was not successful.

So backing another coach based on the distance past reputation would be a bit of amusing to me after all of those. But then he is most likely to be here for 6 months and who knows if the club would take him seriously after that as they just wanted him for only 6 months initially. Why would you back him then? And, if he is backed and moves up and has big influence but he himself is not competent, we would be fecked long term again. It would be hard to see if he would be the real deal with only 6 months on the pitch. Early signs are not great so far. So the situation is quite messed up and does not make too much sense in my head.

The club seems to have good intentions hiring those but always seems to get wrong guys at wrong times.

Saying all of it, I think if we could get a decent CM or two this month, thing might get a bit better as I think the midfield is the main issue for us.

Last edited:
I fecking despise him. Not hard to work out who these players are as they’re the ones who threw Jose under the bus.

JLingz, AM9, And yes, Rashford.
Saw this from Mike McGrath in The Telegraph today:

Long-standing friends Rashford and Lingard are spending more time together again, although Lingard is expected to leave the club as a free agent at the end of the season.
Whitwell also mentioned on The Athletic pod a couple of weeks ago that Rashford and Lingard are much closer again, and that they have a big influence over the squad.

They went to the Dior fashion show in London together a few weeks ago, so it definitely seems like they're tight again...which isn't good.

Last edited:

edcunited1878

Saw this from Mike McGrath in The Telegraph today:

Whitwell also mentioned on The Athletic pod a couple of weeks ago that Rashford and Lingard are much closer again, and that they have a big influence over the squad.

They were at the Dior fashion show in London together a few weeks ago, so it definitely seems like they're tight again...which isn't good.
Need to spend as much time together since one is definitely gone in a few months, while the other has a lot to prove.

MUFC OK

Foxbatt

I don’t think it’s aimed at Ole, I think it’s more pointing out that people knew Ole was being thrown under the bus by the players and yet he still supported them, because he’s a decent, yet soft, bloke
This is also how I see it. Not a cheap shot at Ole but how much trouble he has to face from the players. We need a brutal dictator to sort them out.

Foxbatt

Chief123

Our striker options or lack of could be very worrying for next season.

We could potentially lose Cavani, Ronaldo and Martial by the summer. That would leave us with just Greenwood and Rashford who has never been great down the middle and right now is not great anywhere.

There isn’t an abundance of options out there either for strikers. It’s the hardest position to play. We really could be struggling in that department come next season.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Well, if the reports that the players were informed quite late that Rangnick was going to be the next manager are true, then it maybe an indication that the board are finally prepared to wrest some power from the players after Ole left. I hope that they see that they have to side with Rangnick and let him do him thing here.

Foxbatt

can you imagine any decent manager accepting to use training methods the players like? Tell that to SAF and he would have sold them on the spot. I mean Johnny Giles was sold on the spot by Sir Matt for disagreeing with him. Imagine Lingard telling Hey Alec, I don't like your training methods. It is too oppressive.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yeah, I’m genuinely worried about that part to be honest. All this director of football like talk when nothing has really been defined. A two year consultant means they don’t actually have to listen to a word he says. Meanwhile we have Darren Fletcher on the sidelines acting like a coach. They couldn’t could they?

But above all else if this goes tits up I can’t see him being hired as a “consultant” in any case. Is Murtough really strong enough to resist the instinct to cut his losses and enjoy a mutual end?
I dont know if you are aware of the consulting model. No one hires a consultant unless you actually want to listen to them. Basically , you are accepting you dont have the competency to deal with it now but you want to eventually get better at it.

Ofcourse, Ralf won't be making drastic changes but he will have a major say in footballing matters. Ed, Murtough, Arnold and the Glazers are all from corporate world and they will know what Ralf can offer as a consultant.

The United

I dont know if you are aware of the consulting model. No one hires a consultant unless you actually want to listen to them. Basically , you are accepting you dont have the competency to deal with it now but you want to eventually get better at it.

Ofcourse, Ralf won't be making drastic changes but he will have a major say in footballing matters. Ed, Murtough, Arnold and the Glazers are all from corporate world and they will know what Ralf can offer as a consultant.
So now we trust them? Actually, who the feck is Murtough guy though? Like in term of his footballing experience and reputation.

I am curious about that because it seems like a bunch of people here suddenly trust him to do the 'right' thing.

LoneStar

The United

Ronaldo might add a few issues to our problems.

But it just sounds like everyone is jealous of him or got intimidated of him. Players found his presence a challenge? Well, they would feel similar to any touch coaches too then instead of trying to raise their own standards. It is funny that Cavani name was put in that as the dude played like 5 games since the beginning of the season because he was injured the whole time and played full 90 mins for the past two games when he was 'fully' fit.

Media is having fun with at the expense of frustrated United fans at this moment.

HailtotheKing

I’m familiar, yes. But there are different levels of consultancy? Everyone is talking about him as being this football director and I’m simply saying, nothing has been written yet. It would be helpful if the club came out and said something like we’re behind Ralf and once his 6 months interim period is up he will be a key part of decision making. Anything that makes the players realize this is not someone that they can treat lightly because he’s going in 6 months.

And as I said, because nothing is in stone yet, bad results could easily lead to them mutually cancelling the consultancy part.

Regardless of his performance as manager, I’d like him to have a key role in future decision making at the club. Because we need someone who knows football and he clearly does.

Nordmore

Have you really watched lots of his teams play? Regardless of whether he has been capable of that in the past it doesn’t mean that he still is. If he was the wonder coach people have portrayed then I find it weird he was sitting as director of football at Lokomtiv Moscow.

I can perfectly enjoy life while questioning if the current United manager is good enough. Just great advice though.
It's not that weird actually it's quite understandable imo. Him demanding lot of authority especially regarding transfers wouldn't go well with most of the top clubs.

Whenever he's good enough only time will tell. But imo before judging him we should give him a chance to properly work with his methods first.

His style has always been gegen pressing. His football will never work without that. Tell Klopp that he will have to win things without the pressing for example, it simply won't work. He'd say feck this and walk out the next day.

We did look amazing in the first half against Palace. But since then we dropped the whole pressing and understandbly looked shit again. I've been wondering why until @Idxomer said it's because of Ronaldo looking out of breath in the second half. It's probably the only possible explaination imo. Or maybe some of our players don't like to run that much. But imo it's clearly this issue is caused by our players, not Ralf. He'd love to have the team pressing, but had to drop it because of the squad.

Only after he got rid of those players who can't or don't like to run much then we could judge his football I think.

jesperjaap

The funny thing is that I believe this 11 - 17 player is bullshit, but there are 17 players that could be got rid of and I don't think anyone would care too much.
Completely agree. Only bad timing part is the rifeness of covid and needing a huge squad, otherwise if any truth lots would be allowed to leave. In all honesty I would only be really dissapointed if Greenwood left and now DeGea since he has his form back,. Others I wouldnt want to leave (such as Fernandes but as amazing as he has been early on I dont buy into him like so many as vital to our future) but there are so many I would genuinely like to leave. Genuinely feel there are about 14-15players we should be moving on within this squad and it is so bloated, even doing so we would only be needing 6/7 replacements if they all left.

united for life

The problem these days is that players are too fragile. Hardly any tough men in there. We went from neville, rio, vidic, evra, keane, scholes, giggs, etc… to this. Who in this dressing room can be labelled a true leader? Our captain himself is not one. Cry babies. There is clear lack of leadership and commitment to the shirt, these players are too lazy, spoilt and do not deserve to play for united (most of them at least).

I am not happy with what i’m seeing under rangnick so far. Tactics are ugly, player rotation seems weird (for instance, why drop dalot? He was doing well, at least better than AWB), lack of opportunities for players like VDB although we clearly lack creativity in midfield, playing players out of position, assistants from the MLS, etc…

however, regardless of whether a player agrees or disagrees with the tactics, he should just keep focused on games and deliver. These days players think they can influence the club’s decision making (management made them believe they could) but this is absolutely wrong and should not happen. During SAF time, big players were allowed to leave the moment they caused a small disruption in the dressing room. Now, we entertain players’ moods, instagram posts, agents…. What have we sunk to?!

copen1945

The club has been fairly silent on this. I fear the players will outlive another manager. They just need to make no further noises, and Rangnick will depart at the end of the season. I think the greatest service he could do during his short spell is to identify the disgruntled and dissatisfied pool of players and to show them out the door. At least, he shouldn't reward them by giving them minutes. The results may be painful, but it will be for the good of the long term future of the club.

Esquire

and herein lies the problem. They won't go. They will sit and take the wages and then move on a free.

We have to change the style of contracts we give players X as a base and X+ for each game or matchday squad that you make.

Short term contracts renewable at our option, and if you haven't become a regular or solid back up challenging for a position in 18 months, you get moved on.

No super start contracts unless you actually truly are absolutely world class.
This is sensible but in this market not realistic. Players want to come to United these days b/c we pay well (and maybe partly due to the allure of the United badge but that’s fading fast). So players of the ilk we want and think could play for the club will have choices. I agree we can try these options going forward but the fact is we have well paid undermotivated players here who won’t move. The killer is that the owners see this whole thing as a bottom line for profit business so they won’t bite the bullet and allow the rotten players to leave cheaply. So the players know they won’t be moved on. Yes we have problems on many levels and the players need to own up. But the fact is this lack of accountability has been here for a number of years and the reason why is that owners empower player power.

Esquire

The club has been fairly silent on this. I fear the players will outlive another manager. They just need to make no further noises, and Rangnick will depart at the end of the season. I think the greatest service he could do during his short spell is to identify the disgruntled and dissatisfied pool of players and to show them out the door. At least, he shouldn't reward them by giving them minutes. The results may be painful, but it will be for the good of the long term future of the club.
Completely with you. This organisation is badly run because the senior management is so transparently greedy and they don’t really care who is managing. Any serious board would give RR the power to clean house. Even outsiders like us can see there can be no way back for some of these players.

Thiagoal

Our striker options or lack of could be very worrying for next season.

We could potentially lose Cavani, Ronaldo and Martial by the summer. That would leave us with just Greenwood and Rashford who has never been great down the middle and right now is not great anywhere.

There isn’t an abundance of options out there either for strikers. It’s the hardest position to play. We really could be struggling in that department come next season.
We’re really struggling this season to be fair. Let’s ship out the veterans on astronomical contracts and worry about it after that

copen1945

Completely with you. This organisation is badly run because the senior management is so transparently greedy and they don’t really care who is managing. Any serious board would give RR the power to clean house. Even outsiders like us can see there can be no way back for some of these players.
Like it or not, this was coming. Rangnick and the future permanent manager both would be outsiders, and the clash between the influential players and the manager was coming. What the club does about this current situation will show the United supporters what their ultimate intentions are. I hope they wouldn't go back to their old ways by rewarding the players with their choice in a manager and new bumper contracts. I am not too optimistic, however.

I like what Tuchel has done with Lukaku situation. I also like what Guardiola had done with Toure situation. In both, the managers made the players say sorry, especially to the fans. United need someone like these two, quickly.

We need an rvn

I like what Tuchel has done with Lukaku situation. I also like what Guardiola had done with Toure situation. In both, the managers made the players say sorry, especially to the fans. United need someone like these two, quickly.
The difference between the two instances you mentioned and United, to my knowledge no United player has come out and said anything negative about the club, hence why should they be made to apologise?

Agree it's time to clear some deadwood, even if it means clearing a forest for new trees to emerge