UPDATED!!! United vs Top 6 - An Injury/Availability Analysis - Still Happy With 6th?

Zed is not dead

We finished third last year, got the FA Cup final, won the League Cup, semi-finals of Europa League. Beat Barcelona, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal over the season. Nobody was expecting to beat City and be going for the treble, but fairly reasonable then to expect the team not to lose 9 in 15 games or whatever it was and finish last in a CL group?

Leeway is to be given based on performances and results and if Ten Hag can say finish 5th from here, or even stay 6th but with a good points total well ahead of 7th, and performances continue to improve with his first 11, then he may have done enough to keep his job for another year.

It's not to do with being a 'top team'. 5th or 6th with context like considerable injuries can be acceptable (look at Liverpool in their injury-hit seasons). But 9th or 10th can never be (which is where we were hanging out before this recent upturn in fortunes).
The way I see it, we overperfomed last season.
This season we’re back to a more regular level, with a team that can at best be 3rd under the right circumstances.
With shite circumstances such as what we experienced, well best you can do is try not to fall too hard.

Demon Barber

Excellent thread @BenitoSTARR especially given the time and effort it must have taken.

People can argue some parts of it but not the over riding point… we’ve had a lot of injuries, especially to some key players.

The other thing this thread points out is a handful of apparent United fans (and two in particular… the same as EVERY thread they post in) are just miserable, argumentative xxxxxxs
I agree with this. Superb thread and statistical analysis. @BenitoSTARR thank you and well done.

Now, if only you could do a comparative analysis for kick-off times, days of the week, home v away, colours of boots worn and weather conditions. I'd like it on my desk tomorrow morning.

Laurencio Availability Post

Laurencio

I applaud your effort to use a statistical analysis to understand our issues, but I believe your conclusion is flawed. % of minutes played does not translate into % of minutes available. What you're proving here is that the team isn't well constructed, that only a handful of players are nailed on starters, and that we rotate a lot - a point you concede when looking at Man City. You also mention that you can't speculate as to why a player wasn't picked and that you can't base it on club announced injuries, because that would be speculation not backed up by data. The problem with that, is that you presuppose that we have a best XI and that whenever available our "best" players will play. Which is also speculation, and arguably a more significant assumption.

Injuries are reported, and data is available to see how many matches a player actually misses because of injuries. The data supports that five players have been out injured for a significant amount of time. Allowing for one game "recovery" in the league per injury - 90 minutes matches not withstanding.

Tyrell Malacia - 0% available
Mason Mount - 21% available
Lisandro Martinez - 29.2% available
Luke Shaw - 37.5% available
Casemiro - 44.8% available

A number of players in your list have not been injured for nearly as much as suggested by their selections.

Garnacho - 100% available
Varane - 83% available

Hojlund - 70% available
Mainoo - 58.3%

Varane was left out of the squad for non-injury related reasons twice. There is an argument to be had as to whether the Casemiro, Martinez, Shaw trio is key to our entire team structure, but injury wise your XI actually looks like this - suspensions are ignored, because honestly that is self inflicted. 100% is indicated by no percentage added.

Onana
Dalot - Varane 83% -
Martinez 29% - Shaw 37%
Casemiro 44% -
Mainoo 58.3%
Garnacho - Bruno - Rashford
Hojlund 70

Now, not all of these players were significant last season, when we finished third, so it might be important to look at how much those players have been available this season - and our backups to key positions.

Scott McT 100%
Antony 91% - two matches special leave
Amrabat 87.5%
Eriksen 75%
Maguire 75%
Martial 66%

Which shows that there is primarily one position we've not had the personell to cover because of injuries - which is left back. The XI suggested in OP with second choice backups for long term injuries:

Onana
Dalot Varane
Martinez/Maguire Shaw/Malacia
Casemiro
/Amrabat Mainoo/Eriksen
Garnacho Bruno Rashford

Hojlund/Martial
A well built squad should be able to handle all but the left back issues. Recruitment has clearly been a problem, but at the same time there are players here that should be performing better on the basis of previous performances and ability (arguably a topic for another thread). Squad management is also an issue that could be, and probably should be, scrutinzed.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I just happen to think the injury situation is worth not throwing him away just yet. Ask me again in 10 games.
For me we are at the point where what happens in the next 10 games doesn't even matter that much.

We've seen some serious highs under Ten Hag. The period last season in and around the victory over Barcelona and the Cup final win showed a serious amount of potential. We looked a more intelligent and resilient side than at any point since Ferguson IMO.

We've also seen some major lows. Our loss record this season is unacceptable. Finishing bottom in a relatively straight forward CL group was something I didn't think he'd survive. His record against our rivals is poor.

The meat in this argument is in the mitigating circumstances for some or all of the above, and that's why this thread holds value. There ARE mitigating circumstances. Whether people see those as enough is down to personal opinion. Those who choose to ignore them completely are not worth listening to.

Going back to my first sentence, the reason the next few games dont really matter is because we've seen those peaks and troughs already. I would caveat this by acknowledging that we should always be judging and evaluating our position, but at this point in the process you either believe that he is going to be able to build a winning side, or you don't. You either want him as manager going into this new era for the club, or you don't.

Personally I believe that our strong first season under him is a better reflection of his true ability than this chaotic second one. I'm in for giving him a third season come what may.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Post match threads are not a better place for an unbiased use of ‘facts’/stats. We’d both rather at longer term trends which is exactly why you were cited Spurs & Newcastle, again both off the top of my head. Crystal Palace, lost 1-0. Palace had 8 first team squad members listed unavailable to our 6 that day. You go through other games we lost/drew & you’ll see multiple first teamers missing for the opposition.

You know exactly what was meant so let’s park the emojis & discuss the points.

Also for someone so particular about data points why are you choosing to compare us to only 5 of 19 data points available?
But you’re asking me to analyse why we lost one particular game? That’s not a trend it’s a single data point?

Are you asking me why has our club lost football matches and not been as consistent because I feel like I’ve answered that?

Genuinely I don’t. I hope you can see by the effort I’ve been putting in all of today I’m arguing here in the best of faiths.

Im comparing us to 5 because:
  1. We have more points than the other 14 so it doesn’t make sense to worry about why we might be better than them.
  2. Every discussion I’ve had has been pretty much “but spurs have had more injuries” etc so why would I discuss Crystal Palace?
  3. Have you tried doing what I’ve just done today? It takes a long time.
  4. You’re more than welcome to do the rest of the league I’d be genuinely interested to read it.
  5. I want to see how far off we are of the teams that have performed better than us so far and if there is any argument to be had supporting the idea that other teams have had it harder than us. The selection minutes would suggest the answer is no.
The 4-1-4-1 was having us overwhelmed with McTominay as essentially a number 10 in it, Bournemouth and Newcastle for example could have played Amrabat/Mainoo/Fernandes with two deeper midfielders than McTominay was. Limited options on the wing, would have tried to make it up with Sancho if I was in charge, but that's irrelevant now. Rashford was poor but rarely any worse than Antony was to be dropped, while Pellestri probably could have got more minutes than Antony 0 goals/0 assists in 920 mins of PL action.
Your plan is to play a teenager just back from a 3 month injury in back to back PL games from 26/11, 2/12, then 6/12 and 9/12?

Would you say we’ve been more secure with Amrabat? Do you not think the fact we conceded from 2 crosses and a corner means the issue might’ve been more than just move McTominay a bit deeper?

How do you make it up with Sancho?He’s just called you a liar in public what do you do?

Dropping your top scorer from last season what do you think the optics of that are like for the papers, dressing room etc?

What did you see of Pellistri that made you think he wasn’t also out of his depth?

It’s easy for us behind our screens to think of the perfect chat up line to get Sancho back on side etc but the reality is these are humans making real time decisions and choices in a complex environment.
I think this is the hardest truth for people to accept here.
We’re not a top team anymore and haven’t been for a long time.

It is quite delusional to think this season was the one where we’d be rolling over everyone, and winning comfortably against every opposition with spectacular football.
Our team is currently not good enough, plus some bad luck with lots of injuries, off field issues and disciplinary issues and a change of ownership. All in the span of 6 months.

Grinding results against better teams and some good although inconsistent displays against lesser teams is the realistic way to go about this season.

And this has nothing to do with standards. I can expect my donkey to get a medal at a show jumping, it doesn’t mean he’ll get one
It’s a shit thing but it is the case. Nothing about our footballing set up has screamed elite for a while now. Hopefully that is changing.

He presented it as percentage of minutes played compared to total team minutes in the league. Which is why I don’t love the graphic, because it doesn’t factor in times where players were simply not picked, or even in Varanes weird case not even in the squad.

The 3 obvious main injuries have been to Shaw, Casemiro, and Martinez. All 3 have missed significant time no doubt about it and each is pretty important in their position. Mount is the other but I think he ends up being a sub anyways as that god awful setup with him and Bruno we started the year with was suicidal. But do I think that 3 injuries to starters is grounds for a complete lack of cohesive play and endless horrid performances over more than half of a season? Not really, but Ten Hag relies so heavily especially on Martinez for his “principles” to work that if the possible best ball playing CB in the world isn’t available then he completely scraps the ideas and moves to pragmatism (and quite frankly he isn’t good at pragmatism, as shown by our pretty consistent ropey defending when protecting a lead). I don’t want a manager that requires a perfectly fit first choice XI for his plan to work, because majority of the year you’ll have at least 1 player not fit in the squad. I’d rather employ a system that still is drilled in functionally to an entire squad to play the same even if the best players aren’t available, and if we lose or play poorly because we miss chances with reserve attackers or have mistakes at the back because Maguire or Evans is there instead of Martinez then so be it.

Sure at this point we aren’t sacking him until summer, and if we suddenly show a better structure and consistent way of playing in the run in with everyone mostly fit then I’ll be open to changing my mind. But even in our recent run of results it’s largely been end to end/high variance stuff where we’ve come out on top because our forwards finished chances while the opposition has missed sitters. Thats a viable way to play if you’re a midtable club sure, but I think all of us aspire to get back to the top and it’s not really sustainable doing that
Has it created discussion? Have I shied away from any contextual discussion?

I’ve addressed every point raised.

If Mount ends up being the sub then who replaces him in the starting XI? Mainoo? In which case there is another long term absentee first XI player.

I’m glad you’re open minded. We’ll see what happens. We won’t be able to play like a top team until we have the personnel and squad of a top team though. We’ll be able to play like a top team when our best players are available and when they aren’t with lower quality alternatives we’ll struggle a bit.
I really don’t think many expected us to roll over teams this year. Preseason expectations for most were UCL top 2 in groups, a good cup run, and top 4 in the league while showing signs of progress style wise.
Agree with this. But expectations need to be reviewed in context.

If I wanted to finish the London Marathon in 4 hours but pulled my hamstring at the start of the race and then 2/3 into it id be happy to just finish it.
We finished third last year, got the FA Cup final, won the League Cup, semi-finals of Europa League. Beat Barcelona, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal over the season. Nobody was expecting to beat City and be going for the treble, but fairly reasonable then to expect the team not to lose 9 in 15 games or whatever it was and finish last in a CL group?

Leeway is to be given based on performances and results and if Ten Hag can say finish 5th from here, or even stay 6th but with a good points total well ahead of 7th, and performances continue to improve with his first 11, then he may have done enough to keep his job for another year.

It's not to do with being a 'top team'. 5th or 6th with context like considerable injuries can be acceptable (look at Liverpool in their injury-hit seasons). But 9th or 10th can never be (which is where we were hanging out before this recent upturn in fortunes).
We performed really well last year. Yeah must have had a good manager then. Wonder what’s changed?

Teasing aside I agree with your broader point here and appreciate you taking the injuries into consideration to come to a balanced view. So good post in my book.
The way I see it, we overperfomed last season.
This season we’re back to a more regular level, with a team that can at best be 3rd under the right circumstances.
With shite circumstances such as what we experienced, well best you can do is try not to fall too hard.
I think we are a CL/Europa side with everyone fit. Which has been our level the past 6+ years.

With the injuries we’ve had honestly I feel like we’re better understood as a good mid table club.
I agree with this. Superb thread and statistical analysis. @BenitoSTARR thank you and well done.

Now, if only you could do a comparative analysis for kick-off times, days of the week, home v away, colours of boots worn and weather conditions. I'd like it on my desk tomorrow morning.
Haha cheers!

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I applaud your effort to use a statistical analysis to understand our issues, but I believe your conclusion is flawed. % of minutes played does not translate into % of minutes available. What you're proving here is that the team isn't well constructed, that only a handful of players are nailed on starters, and that we rotate a lot - a point you concede when looking at Man City. You also mention that you can't speculate as to why a player wasn't picked and that you can't base it on club announced injuries, because that would be speculation not backed up by data. The problem with that, is that you presuppose that we have a best XI and that whenever available our "best" players will play. Which is also speculation, and arguably a more significant assumption.

Injuries are reported, and data is available to see how many matches a player actually misses because of injuries. The data supports that five players have been out injured for a significant amount of time. Allowing for one game "recovery" in the league per injury - 90 minutes matches not withstanding.

A number of players in your list have not been injured for nearly as much as suggested by their selections.

Varane - 83% available

Hojlund - 70% available
Mainoo - 58.3%

Varane was left out of the squad for non-injury related reasons twice. There is an argument to be had as to whether the Casemiro, Martinez, Shaw trio is key to our entire team structure, but injury wise your XI actually looks like this - suspensions are ignored, because honestly that is self inflicted. 100% is indicated by no percentage added.

Onana
Dalot - Varane 83% -
Martinez 29% - Shaw 37%
Casemiro 44% -
Mainoo 58.3%
Hojlund 70

Now, not all of these players were significant last season, when we finished third, so it might be important to look at how much those players have been available this season - and our backups to key positions.

Scott McT 100%
Amrabat 87.5%
Eriksen 75%
Maguire 75%

Martial 66%

Which shows that there is primarily one position we've not had the personell to cover because of injuries - which is left back. The XI suggested in OP with second choice backups for long term injuries:

Onana
Dalot Varane
Casemiro
/Amrabat Mainoo/Eriksen
Garnacho Bruno Rashford

Hojlund/Martial
A well built squad should be able to handle all but the left back issues. Recruitment has clearly been a problem, but at the same time there are players here that should be performing better on the basis of previous performances and ability (arguably a topic for another thread). Squad management is also an issue that could be, and probably should be, scrutinzed.
Lovely post and I applaud you for it.

When I have time tomorrow I’ll respond with the care this post deserves but thank you for providing such an insightful post!

Chumpsbechumps

The way stats are used matters. Here’s some factual information for you. 14 losses in 30-something games. Without any other information at hand do you think a Manchester United manager should be sacked for this? So by your measure I can that above is me posting factual information as to why EtH should get the sack & no one can argue witn it because. . . facts. Come on.

No need to label other supporters as anything just because they don’t see the information the same way you do.
Nobody disputes our win/loss record, but that seems to be the only stat some people can understand or will discuss. This thread adds more context to those results with factual information. You can choose to ignore the information because it somewhat threatens what you want to believe , but it doesn’t change the informations relevance.

Most of the more emotive lads cant or won’t discuss the information, they just keep telling us how they feel and quoting completely different things that ETH is doing wrong. It’s ridiculous.

This really isn’t rocket science and some of you are still banging a drum of nonsense, quite often arguing things nobody is saying.

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Varane - 83% available

Hojlund - 70% available
Mainoo - 58.3%

Onana
Dalot - Varane 83% -
Martinez 29% - Shaw 37%
Casemiro 44% -
Mainoo 58.3%
Hojlund 70

Scott McT 100%
Amrabat 87.5%
Eriksen 75%
Maguire 75%
Martial 66%

Onana
Dalot Varane
Casemiro
/Amrabat Mainoo/Eriksen
Garnacho Bruno Rashford

Hojlund/Martial

You took the time to sort out my only issues with the OP. In reality I think the truth is somewhere in the middle of you both but two absolutely superb posts there.

alexthelion

I just dont understand, the eye evidence are there every week, but still this guy persists in somehow trying to explain it with data and injury crisis nonsense.
Talk about beeing desperate.
This squad with this manager wont fix itself if you use all the worlds positivity and wishfull thinking.

And no, i wont post and explain this any further, ill just conclude that people are happy living in total denial over what they actually experience from week to week.
This is not brain surgery, this team doesnt play like a team, they are disorganized, they dont score enough goals, and lately they have been lucky with the results.

Yes we have had a good period, and yes i wish this was the way forward, but i dont think it is, because its bad performances behind it.
Its that simple.

Edit:
And please, respect that people actually like to analyse fotball objectivly.
No need to get all angry and "#¤% about it.
:D:D:D

Pronewbie

Peep
Anyone who says this kind of data presentation is not useful has got to be kidding themselves.

As for Varane's availability, wasn't he upset with ETH/the club for not willing to extend his fat contract despite being made out of glass? If it's part of nipping player power in the bud and being more fiscally prudent I'm all for it. I just hope he does to do the same to his reunited players. We should be cutting our losses on some of his duds in the summer.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Varane - 83% available

Hojlund - 70% available
Mainoo - 58.3%

Onana
Dalot - Varane 83% -
Martinez 29% - Shaw 37%
Casemiro 44% -
Mainoo 58.3%
Hojlund 70

Scott McT 100%
Amrabat 87.5%
Eriksen 75%
Maguire 75%

Martial 66%

Onana
Dalot Varane
Casemiro
/Amrabat Mainoo/Eriksen
Garnacho Bruno Rashford

Hojlund/Martial
Good post. No left back has been the main issue for me but it's not enough to excuse how poor our football has been this season.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The data provided in the OP is minutes in PL as a % of total available minutes.

In short which players have played the most for their clubs.

I’ve not been suggesting the attacking injuries have been our serious issue. Look at defence and midfield.
Well but in every second sentence you make a reference to injuries, what doesn't seem to be the reason why Garnacho % is so low, same for Varane, Antony was also first choice until recently etc.

So what is the conclusion here, we're 12th in terms of Goals Scored and 6th for Goals Against and this is caused by injuries to the backline and midfield? To be honest if that was the other way around that would make much more sense to me. I am not disputing the fact it does have an impact, but at the same time we have never been a team that builds from the back so that is kind of a weak argument for me.

I like how much effort you put into this, but if you want to blame injuries for us being 6th, then would be better to update the numbers with how many times some key players have been unavailable. I also believe that in some cases you should be showing more than one player per position like mentioned before.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Good post. No left back has been the main issue for me but it's not enough to excuse how poor our football has been this season.
Which is a fair enough position to have. But at least accepting its a contributing factor is what I’m after here.
Well but in every second sentence you make a reference to injuries, what doesn't seem to be the reason why Garnacho % is so low, same for Varane, Antony was also first choice until recently etc.

So what is the conclusion here, we're 12th in terms of Goals Scored and 6th for Goals Against and this is caused by injuries to the backline and midfield? To be honest if that was the other way around that would make much more sense to me. I am not disputing the fact it does have an impact, but at the same time we have never been a team that builds from the back so that is kind of a weak argument for me.

I like how much effort you put into this, but if you want to blame injuries for us being 6th, then would be better to update the numbers with how many times some key players have been unavailable. I also believe that in some cases you should be showing more than one player per position like mentioned before.
I’ve contextualise the data. And every squad player has been listed in the spoiler section.

The players were listed to keep the data neat and user friendly.

And the conclusion can be whatever you come to.

Mine is that defensive and midfield injuries have meant our build up has been severely impacted and our structure decimated. We don’t have the depth in the squad to deal with those injuries (rightly or wrongly) and so 6th is about right for what we’ve dealt with relative to other clubs above us.

We absolutely are a team that builds from the back. Unquestionably we are.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yeah, I've got quite a bit of push back, but I didn't think my comment was all that aggro. I think the OP has done a great job of laying out his point. I just think there are inherent flaws in premise as a whole.

Looking at the Transfermarkt absences stats, there isn't actually that much difference between the injury records of the top six teams. I think it feels more apparent at United because:
  • Fans naturally have a great awareness of the problems facing their club
  • Sancho has not been considered for selection for pretty much the whole season
  • Varane has been overlooked even when fit (as an outsider I can't get my head around this one)
  • Mainoo was an unused substitute for five games
  • Garnacho, as mentioned above, wasn't trusted as much early on
  • Most importantly, United haven't coped with injuries very well.
I think this last point is key. This week I've read a lot about Arsenal having a thin squad this season, pointing to our threadbare bench against West Ham. No major outlet mentioned that we had 7 first team players unavailable. Why? Because we won by six goals. Arsenal, Liverpool and City have all suffered long-term injuries to key players and it's not really discussed. Because they manage to cope with it, it's not really much of a story.
Part of the issue is that it wasn't just our first choice that was injured, but we had our backups injured at the same time as well.

From memory, at one point we were playing our 4th and 6th choice central defenders, despite having five fullbacks in the squad only one of them was fit so had to play our backup DM on the other side, both first team strikers were injured and we were down to our 5th choice right winger. Admittedly the latter two are either our own fault due to starting the season with a known injury to Hojlund and knowing Martial can't be relied on, or three of the right wingers being out due to things besides injury (Greenwood, Sancho and Antony). But what we had in defence was ridiculous. Other than maybe City, I expect we have easily the best defensive depth in the league but almost all of them were injured. Then of course our main DM ahead of them also got injured for half the season. What makes it even worse is that the two most long-term injuries in the defence (well, not counting Malacia) were to our two most important defenders.

The OP isn't perfect and there certainly are some flaws as you put it, so anyone taking it completely at face value isn't getting the right picture. But I think it's fairly good when taken as a general trend. I mean, imagine what your team would look like if you were down to your 4th, 5th and 6th choice players in multiple positions at the same time.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It’s not really availability study but rather usage study though. Garnacho and Varane have been available pretty much all season and I think Hojlund should be slightly over 64% for availability as well.

It’s mostly Shaw, Casemiro and Martinez that we’ve missed, three players that we overplayed massively last year.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Varane - 83% available

Hojlund - 70% available
Mainoo - 58.3%

Onana
Dalot - Varane 83% -
Martinez 29% - Shaw 37%
Casemiro 44% -
Mainoo 58.3%
Hojlund 70

Scott McT 100%
Amrabat 87.5%
Eriksen 75%
Maguire 75%
Martial 66%

Onana
Dalot Varane
Casemiro
/Amrabat Mainoo/Eriksen
Garnacho Bruno Rashford

Hojlund/Martial
I'd agree with that conclusion. Good post.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The question was more rhetorical than anything, of course you haven’t. The point is that with very little digging, you’ll find multiple examples of games where the opposition had more absences in those game from their first team squad than we did. That is more poignant information.

To tell the full tale of our results you need to take the minutes share of the opposition on the day. How exactly do the stats you’ve given explain a game like Bournemouth where they had more first teamers absent on that day than we did? What exactly does the fact we’ve consistently had more injuries than other Top 6 teams tell us about games we didn’t win against Newcastle & Spurs when on those days they had more absentees?

We all get the point. ‘United have had more injuries overall than other teams so lack consistency in team choice thus performance’ but as others have pointed out the stats you provide ignore things like EtH choosing not to play certain players.

I’ve not read every post so maybe some people are but I’m not arguing that injuries haven’t been an issue, simply that they are 1 of many symptoms.

Varane - 83% available

Hojlund - 70% available
Mainoo - 58.3%

Onana
Dalot - Varane 83% -
Martinez 29% - Shaw 37%
Casemiro 44% -
Mainoo 58.3%
Hojlund 70

Scott McT 100%
Amrabat 87.5%
Eriksen 75%
Maguire 75%

Martial 66%

Onana
Dalot Varane
Casemiro
/Amrabat Mainoo/Eriksen
Garnacho Bruno Rashford

Hojlund/Martial
It’s good to have OP’s like Benito has gone to the effort of making for the strong counterpoints and discussion as above, it engenders, which is a breath of fresh air in a very stale ongoing conversation.

Gordon Godot

I'd agree with that conclusion. Good post.
Exactly. We have the most expensive squad ever and an increasingly strong flow of academy players. This whole thread is another pointless excuse for ETH and his under delivering. What is laughable is its also the players not following instructions that leaves us wide open, rather than our appalling team shape that is clearly what the manager wants

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s good to have OP’s like Benito has gone to the effort of making for the strong counterpoints and discussion as above, it engenders, which is a breath of fresh air in a very stale ongoing conversation.
I agree. This has been the most enjoyable football discussion I’ve had in some time.
Exactly. We have the most expensive squad ever and an increasingly strong flow of academy players. This whole thread is another pointless excuse for ETH and his under delivering. What is laughable is its also the players not following instructions that leaves us wide open, rather than our appalling team shape that is clearly what the manager wants
Yeah you’re just missing the point here. If you want to moan about Ten Hag please do so in his thread.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Varane - 83% available

Hojlund - 70% available
Mainoo - 58.3%

Onana
Dalot - Varane 83% -
Martinez 29% - Shaw 37%
Casemiro 44% -
Mainoo 58.3%
Hojlund 70

Scott McT 100%
Amrabat 87.5%
Eriksen 75%
Maguire 75%

Martial 66%

Onana
Dalot Varane
Casemiro
/Amrabat Mainoo/Eriksen
Garnacho Bruno Rashford

Hojlund/Martial
Very good point. I'd expect a good coach to handle this situation somehow, but if your whole gameplan relies on CB/FBs being world class on the ball, then no wonder we are in trouble. Casemiro is a big miss but he wasn't doing anything in the buildup when available, and was a calamity defensively (albeit not his fault entirely, as the setup didn't help). Recruitment is as much of a problem as coaching, and this is why we are here.

Each element - coaching/injuries/recruitment is a similar weighted factor in our decline this season.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Very good point. I'd expect a good coach to handle this situation somehow, but if your whole gameplan relies on CB/FBs being world class on the ball, then no wonder we are in trouble. Casemiro is a big miss but he wasn't doing anything in the buildup when available, and was a calamity defensively (albeit not his fault entirely, as the setup didn't help). Recruitment is as much of a problem as coaching, and this is why we are here.

Each element - coaching/injuries/recruitment is a similar weighted factor in our decline this season.
Leaving the world-class etiquette aside for a minute, this isn't a stick to beat ETH with. It's a prerequisite, not a bonus, in today's game to have defenders comfortable on the ball and able to make sensible decisions with it. Whatever faults there are in ETH's plan, there's not a side worth its salt out there in which the defenders/keeper aren't heavily involved in the build-up.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Leaving the world-class etiquette aside for a minute, this isn't a stick to beat ETH with. It's a prerequisite, not a bonus, in today's game to have defenders comfortable on the ball and able to make sensible decisions with it. Whatever faults there are in ETH's plan, there's not a side worth its salt out there in which the defenders/keeper aren't heavily involved in the build-up.
Although this is true, you need to set up your team in a way that the defenders will have passing options. Our backline has very little passing options, what make it even more difficult for them to play from the back. This is why Martinez is key, he's elite on the ball, but if your tactic relies on elite players, maybe it's not q very good tactic.

Not to mention when we had a full strength team, ETH ideas and setup were not exactly "convincing" - this is why I mentioned injuries are equal factor to shit tactics and poor recruitment.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Although this is true, you need to set up your team in a way that the defenders will have passing options. Our backline has very little passing options, what make it even more difficult for them to play from the back. This is why Martinez is key, he's elite on the ball, but if your tactic relies on elite players, maybe it's not q very good tactic.

Not to mention when we had a full strength team, ETH ideas and setup were not exactly "convincing" - this is why I mentioned injuries are equal factor to shit tactics and poor recruitment.
Yes, and more options doesn't mean more players in front of the opposition press (dropping almost next to the defenders). It means having midfielders/wingers that can receive the ball on the half-turn and secure possession under extreme pressure. When you have players who constantly pull away from challenges, players who hide behind the opposition press because they don't (really) want the ball or want to get involved, but they drop way too deep (thus inviting more pressure and leaving gaps where the ball needs to go) because they need space and time to turn, all of this makes life more difficult for everyone. The big difference between Martinez (plus Shaw and Dalot when they are on form) and the rest of the defenders is that he doesn't dither on the ball, thinking about all the things that can go wrong. So, yes, he's picking the kind of passes that you would often expect from one of the highest paid squads in the game. You can blame the manager all you want, but these issues won't go away with the next guy.

Brunsama

I really rated Ten Hag’s time at Ajax, particularly the fact that he built 2 very good teams that played dominant football in 2 slightly different styles - and he didn’t let the loss of his best players severely impact the project.

Imagine my disappointment with the way he has set the team up here. Yes we have had injuries, I get it. But the way he is setting up the team right now is inexcusable. It’s baffling to be frank.

There’s 1 rule in football that any fan/pro/anyone can tell you for certain, and that’s not to give the opposition too much space - regardless of the quality of players. You can sit deep and stay compact, you can be compact in the middle of the pitch or you can press high and squeeze.

We play a system that gives the opponent a chasm to operate in the middle of the pitch, it makes no sense to me. Our system appears to be 5 players build up deep in our own half, while 5 other players push right up against our opponents back line. If we succeed in build up we try to create a transitional opportunity for the front 5. Without going into too much detail, this system is basically the antithesis of retaining possession and leads to a lack of territory and control in buildup.

Going the other way, when the opposition builds up, our front 4 (sometimes 5) presses high while the back line sits deep. It’s lunacy. Our press is beaten time and time again and the chasm in the middle of the pitch is there for all to see again and again. How many times can you remember the opposition running straight through us, or scoring a cut back to the edge of our box this season? You can’t count them. Just look at how many shots we have faced this season, even to Newport County!

I say all of that to say this: our injury record has been crap this season and it limits the heights of what we can achieve, sure. It does not however excuse terrible performances in 97% of our games. It’s the system. In fact, the players we have had available are much better than this system in my opinion. ETH has a lot to answer for.

AFC NimbleThumb

But you’re asking me to analyse why we lost one particular game? That’s not a trend it’s a single data point?
No. I highlighted a few games & delved into one in particular. That is not a single data point.

I told you the question was rhetorical but you’d rather get semantic over me asking you to do something I told you I haven’t than address the multiple examples I have given you where our injuries have been no worse than our opposition & we still lost/drew.

We’re going round in circles here. No one is debating the injuries, you’ve just been challenged on their relevance in multiple ways. I’ve asked questions as have others that you haven’t answered so let’s just say I’ve read what you wrote & thank you for your time putting the numbers together, I’ve took a cursory glance at a few games which make me believe our injuries on multiple occasions actually haven’t been as bad as the opposition on the day so am struggling to see the overall relevance.

Thanks again.

AFC NimbleThumb

Indeed.

You can challenge counterpoints with your own though. Per above, I don’t think anyone is arguing that we haven’t had more injuries, it’s good to see the stats but it’s quite obvious even without them but as others have said they far from tell the entire story but a part of it.

AFC NimbleThumb

Nobody disputes our win/loss record, but that seems to be the only stat some people can understand or will discuss. This thread adds more context to those results with factual information. You can choose to ignore the information because it somewhat threatens what you want to believe , but it doesn’t change the informations relevance.

Most of the more emotive lads cant or won’t discuss the information, they just keep telling us how they feel and quoting completely different things that ETH is doing wrong. It’s ridiculous.

This really isn’t rocket science and some of you are still banging a drum of nonsense, quite often arguing things nobody is saying.
The same way no one is disputing we’ve had more injuries than our counterparts. Our win/loss record is a factual information. You can choose to ignore the information because it somewhat threatens what you want to believe , but it doesn’t change the informations relevance.

I’d be far more interested in a conversation about the use of this factual information rather than further comments on ‘emotive lads’ & you telling me what other fans think/feel. It’s almost as if you are banging a drum of nonsense, quite often arguing things nobody is saying.

Your response isn’t actually aimed at a poster but a group of them.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
No. I highlighted a few games & delved into one in particular. That is not a single data point.

I told you the question was rhetorical but you’d rather get semantic over me asking you to do something I told you I haven’t than address the multiple examples I have given you where our injuries have been no worse than our opposition & we still lost/drew.

We’re going round in circles here. No one is debating the injuries, you’ve just been challenged on their relevance in multiple ways. I’ve asked questions as have others that you haven’t answered so let’s just say I’ve read what you wrote & thank you for your time putting the numbers together, I’ve took a cursory glance at a few games which make me believe our injuries on multiple occasions actually haven’t been as bad as the opposition on the day so am struggling to see the overall relevance.

Thanks again.
Ah ok that’s me misunderstanding your intention there then apologies.

I have said here a few times the injuries aren’t the sole issue and the purpose of this was to highlight we have actually had it worse than the other top 6. As I say I haven’t done the research into other sides yet but it’s something that has been made easier thanks to the resources shared by others.

As for why I believe we’re losing I would say variance, tactics, personnel not suited to certain roles being key issues and overall squad composition from years of mismanagement from an overall footballing perspective. Or lack of clear vision perhaps. Which I don’t think is fair to levy at our managers necessarily.

There was a really lovely post by a newbie about Man City and why they work mentioning how all of their CB options are in the 90th percentile for passing and the only one we have is Martinez. I think that plays a massive role in how we play. We want to build up from the back so to do that we need elite players that can do that.

We also apart from Mainoo and Mount don’t have midfielders happy taking a ball on the back foot and turning into space. Bruno doesn’t have the physicality for it, it’s not in Casemiro’s nature and McTominay and others need their first touch usually before turning and driving so that’s a factor.

I will look back at your posts and respond in depth later.

Gator Nate

If you read most post match thread, people really expect us to play like prime Barcelona
And every opponent played like relegation fodder, regardless of our own play. This is particularly true of our defense - no attack we face would normally get any shots off against any other opponent.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah sort of plays into my point too: feels like ETH requires these elite technicians at every single position to pull off the style he has in his head of what “will work”, and if one cog is out of place none of it works and he resorts to full pragmatism.

For example a few times a game we’ll pull off some montage worth build up play where we suck in another team to press us in our own third just to ping 4 first time passes in succession and be on the break bearing down on their own box. But that level of play requires such perfect and precise execution that even the best teams would struggle to do consistently, and often it tends to be too risky as it only takes of our players misplacing a pass or touch for us to be left wide open and conceding chances. And that’s just sort of a microcosm of my entire issue with ETH’s current tactical vision: everything relies so heavily on individual quality with how high risk we look to play that it often turns matches into basketball games where we are relying on our goalscorers to come out ahead of the other teams.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yeah sort of plays into my point too: feels like ETH requires these elite technicians at every single position to pull off the style he has in his head of what “will work”, and if one cog is out of place none of it works and he resorts to full pragmatism.

For example a few times a game we’ll pull off some montage worth build up play where we suck in another team to press us in our own third just to ping 4 first time passes in succession and be on the break bearing down on their own box. But that level of play requires such perfect and precise execution that even the best teams would struggle to do consistently, and often it tends to be too risky as it only takes of our players misplacing a pass or touch for us to be left wide open and conceding chances. And that’s just sort of a microcosm of my entire issue with ETH’s current tactical vision: everything relies so heavily on individual quality with how high risk we look to play that it often turns matches into basketball games where we are relying on our goalscorers to come out ahead of the other teams.
I think he’s compromised on this though as much as possible.

I do however like this post from you because I think I now understand your view better from it.

And I agree that the perfect version of Ten Hags United will have a much higher technical ceiling and floor than this current side. Our pursuit of De Jong, Kane and Mount (yes Mount) shows that Ten Hag values players who are comfortable on the ball. Mount and Mainoo for example are the only midfielders we have comfortable on the half turn and we’ve been without both for a significant portion of the season now so it does affect our build up and attack.

If we don’t have the CB to ping the ball (Martinez) into a midfielder capable of accepting and using the pass to drive forward (Mainoo/Mount) then our attack is slower and blunted as we can’t work through the lines well enough.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
@Valencia Shin Crosses read this please.

While I'm no expert in football statistics, these are my thoughts on what I think is working for City (as an example) when I looked at their individual player stats:

Ederson - In the bottom 2% of goal kicks taken across top 5 leagues in Europe. He's also in the bottom 10% for passes over 40 yards.

Ake, Dias, Stones, Akanji, Walker, Gvardiol - Every single one of those 6 players are at 90+ percentile for passing. If you look at our players, only Martinez is up there with that group, so a good place to start would be those ball playing CBs and FBs. 1 or 2 of these City players are also excellent at progressive carries.

Rodri - leads every stat when it comes to passing, and is also 99th percentile for progressive passes and carries. Case while he's great with the defensive side of things (top percentiles across Europe for tackles, blocks, clearances and aerial duals), is well behind in progressive passing and ball carrying.

Bernardo - Also great with his progressive passes and carries, while being in the 98th percentile both for passes attempted and passes completed. Mainoo might still get there but he doesn't impose himself in a game in that same way yet.

De Bruyne (Small sample size with him this season admittedly) - Also in the top of Europe in his passing stats (passes attempted, progressive passes, progressive carries, take ons and touches in the attacking penalty area). He is 99th percentile for progressive passes received, which shows how well everyone behind him works to get the ball safely to him while being higher up the pitch (And how good he is at receiving). Bruno on the other hand is the only midfielder in our team that is in the 99th percentile for progressive passes but is only in the 25th percentile for progressive passes received and is well behind KdB in those other areas I mentioned earlier, while being ahead in the defensive actions - Which means, he's not able to play a proper No 10 role with this team as he doesn't have the right profile of midfielders/defenders behind him that are ball carriers and most of the time, he's got to do his progressive passing from behind the half way line.

From their usual wide attackers - Doku, Grealish, Alvarez and Foden are high up in those passing/carrying stats. Rashford is well below par in these stats, and Garnacho only excels in progressive carries plus touches in attacking pen. area. Alvarez and Doku are high up in the tackles stat (Above 80th percentile), while Rashy for example in the 4th and 5th percentile respectively for tackles and interceptions (None of the City wide players this season are below the 40th percentile in at least one of these stats) :rolleyes: Garna at least is doing well with interceptions and Antony for all his faults is high up with his defensive contributions. It's painfully obvious we need wide attackers who can carry the ball, make progressive passes and can put those tackles/interceptions in.

Haaland - Decent pass accuracy for a CF, and takes a lot of touches in the box (90th percentile). Hojlund on the other hand takes far less touches in the box (50th percentile), but is well ahead of Haaland in terms of ball carries and take ons. He is also quite high for progressive passes received (78th percentile, whereas Haaland is in the 12th percentile). I think what this shows is that Hojlund is not able to be a fully functioning centre forward in this team, he has to do a lot of the ball carrying in the final third - Whereas he should just be the final piece of the puzzle, that is able to do some passing, but is there solely to score goals.

Putting all this together, if we want to play with more control, I think we need CBs/FBs who are able to pass progressively, while also carrying the ball well. The midfield 3 themselves need to be passing and carrying the ball to a high standard. This composed spine of the team allows our GK to play short/flat passes to distribute the ball. The ability to pass well with composure then leads to more possession, and less defensive actions required from the midfield and defence. The wide attackers also need to pass more often, pass more accurately, pass progressively, carry the ball forwards more often, and contribute defensively at a high level (Either via tackles or interceptions). Our CF then just needs to make more runs into the box, and utilise the passing abilities of the wide players / FBs / midfielders to have more effective touches inside the box. I think Rasmus, Garna, Kobbie, Bruno, Shaw, Licha, Dalot, Onana, Mount are all capable of playing this way. I'm just not convinced with the rest of our squad - Case, Varane, and Rashford just needs to get replaced for cheaper/younger options that suit this kind of football more. Perhaps Bruno needs to go as well, but I think he will improve with better players around him - I don't see him necessarily as the biggest problem, but if he is, he will get found out next to those better players quite quickly. Then we need better squad options who are also good at passing and ball carrying - This means Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, McTominay, Antony, Sancho, Greenwood all need selling. That's 10 players to sell and then 4 defenders, 3 midfielders, and around 3 wide players to add.

10 years of mismanagement + two bad decisions by ETH/Murtogh on Antony and Case (Good player but not for us imo) results in this mess, hope that INEOS themselves see that the squad still needs a lot of work. Oldest player we signed during the Gill/Fergie era was RVP so I hope we return to that policy when we buy from outside, and I hope some more of our youth players will also help us bridge this gap.
If City (regrettably) are the standard you can see how every player they have helps their style with excellent individual quality suited to the teams needs.

If we want to play modern football we need a squad full of certain profiles. Now when City, Arsenal or Liverpool get injuries they’ve had the structure in place to have the right kind of profiles in the squad to play to a similar standard and manner. Of course some injuries would be more impactful than others see Liverpool losing Van Dijk or City losing Rodri.

Do we have that squad? And if not is that Ten Hags fault or a wider cultural issue?

Then we could argue well Ten Hag has to develop that style of play but how do you do that without the right personnel?

We could then argue well is Ten Hag the right manager for this current squad? But then if he’s not who is capable of getting them to play modern football without them being the archetypal modern player?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
In fact @AFC NimbleThumb what points do you think I haven’t answered and I’ll answer them as best I can because I’ve given you an answer as far as I can see but maybe I’ve not been clear enough in explaining myself?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Based on a discussion in the Erik Ten Hag thread I present in my view the biggest reason we've failed to perform consistently at a high level whilst other teams haven't suffered as much in the top 6.

Each side in the Top 6 (Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Villa and United) have been broken down player by player into their % mins in the PL also with their (in my opinion) best XI and a brief comment as to how this looks in terms of key player losses and who has played in their stead. It also take a small look into the future in some cases with current injuries.

75% or above
50% to 74%
0% to 49%
* = GK or additional circumstance (e.g. Loan)

Liverpool
Alisson 88%
Trent 75% Van Dijk 89%
Konate 53% Robertson 40%
Mac Allister 68%
Jones 43% Szobozslai 77%
Salah 81%
____________ Díaz 69%
Núñez 66%

The only position up for debate here is Jones but as you can see Liverpool's overall availability taking into account rotations is healthy. The best players, Salah, Van Dijk, Alisson, Szobozslai and Trent all have played at least 3/4 of the PL season minutes to date with Robertson and Thiago arguably the only significant players absent through injury for a longer period. The rest of the squad has been used more in rotation as and when. Joe Gomez is the player who I wouldn't consider in the strongest XI but has played more minutes than Robertson. Injury wise Matip is ACL so out for the season, Szobozsali has a hamstring issue but could be back next week and Thiago is unlikely to return anytime soon but its not a 'big big injury', Trent has a knee issue unsure if he will or won't play on it and Salah has a thigh injury but could return this week.

Alisson 88%
Kelleher 13%*
Adrian 0%*

TAA 75%
Bradley 7%

Van Dijk 89%
Konate 53%
Joe Gomez 54%

Matip 36%
Quansah 16%

Robertson 40%
Tsimikas 31%

Mac Allister 68%
Endo 38%
Bajcetic 0%

Szoboszlai 77%
Jones 43%
Thiago 0%
Gravenberch 38%

Salah 81%
Diaz 69%
Jota 47%
Gakpo 43%
Elliot 26%

Doak 1%

Núñez 66%

Manchester City
Ederson 92%
Walker 92% Dias 76%
Ake 66% Gvardiol 71%
Rodri 83%
De Brunye 11% Bernardo 73%
Foden 90% Haaland 72% Doku 52%

Now there could be arguments made for the inclusion of several players here such is the strength in depth of the Man City squad but even allowing for any change you'd choose to make the only long term injuries have been De Brunye (massive of course) and Stones. The rest have been used in rotation as you would expect with a squad as strong as City's. I'd say they are the 2nd least affected side by injuries in the top 6. The only positions I consider up for debate in this starting XI are Doku and Ake. Álvarez is actually the most played outfield player with 94% mins played and would be the one to replace De Brunye in the most played XI. Currently no players are significantly injured Kovacic has a knock, Gvardiol being assessed and Grealish a hip issue being assessed.

Ederson 92%
Ortega 8%*
Carson 0%*

Walker 92%
Lewis 22%

Dias 76%
Aké 66%
Stones 29%
Akanji 64%

Gvardiol 71%

Gomez 1%

Rodri 83%
Kovacic 42%
Nunes 30%

De Brunye 11%

Bernardo Silva 73%

Foden 90%
Doku 52%
Grealish 34%
Bobb 6%

Haaland 72%
Álvarez 94%

Arsenal
Raya 83%
White 84% Saliba 100% Gabriel 84%
Zinchenko 66%
Rice 96%
Ødegaard 87%
Havertz 67%
Saka 92% Jesus 51% Martinelli 72%
Arsenal's first choice XI feels a bit more clear cut but I would accept an argument for Partey over Havertz. Regardless you can see they've had their best XI available the majority of the season the only exception being Jesus who still have over 1/2 the available minutes for Arsenal. Partey and Timber stand out as longer injuries to squad players but beyond that they've not been hit too badly. Saliba 100% is mind boggling considering his role! Timber is expected back April, Zinchenko has a calf issue but could be back this week, Partey has a hamstring issue no idea when back, Vieira is back in the next few weeks and Jesus has a knee problem but could be back within days too.

Raya 83%
Ramsdale 21%
Hein 0%*

White 84%
Tomiyasu 29%
Soares 1%

Saliba 100%
Gabriel 84%

Timber 2%
Kiwor 20%

Zinchenko 66%

Rice 96%
Partey 12%
Jorginho 23%
Elneny 1%

Ødegaard 87%
Havertz 67%
Vieira 11%
Smith Rowe 10%

Martinelli 72%
Trossard 38%

Saka 92%
Nelson 6%

Jesus 51%
Nketiah 47%

Tottenham Hotspur
Vicario 100%
Porro 96%
Romero 71% van de Ven 60% Udogie 82%
Sarr 59% Bissouma 58%
Kulusevski 86% Maddison 53% Son 80%
Richardson 59%
The Spurs midfield pairing is very much up for debate so argue amongst yourselves as to who you'd swap in but this myth of Spurs injuries have been as bad across the season just isn't statistically true. They have absolutely been impacted by losing Maddison but beyond that the loss isn't anywhere near our levels. They are I'd say the 2nd most affected by injuries out of the top 6. No major injuries to report currently but Lo Celso back this week, Solomon out for the foreseeable with knee issues and Sessegnon no idea.

Forster 0%*
Austin 0%*
Whiteman 0%*

Porro 96%
Royal 36%

Romero 71%
van de Ven 60%

Dragusin 2*
Dier* 11%

Udogie 82%
Davies 42%
Sessengnon 0%

Sarr 59%
Bissouma 58%

Bentacur 19%
Højbjerg 45%
Skipp 26%

Maddison 53%
Lo Celso 19%

Son 80%
Kulusevski 86%

Johnson 61%
Solomon 9%
Gil 9%

Richarlison 59%
Véliz 2%
Werner* 14% (approx of season)
88% (since loan)

Aston Villa
Martinez 96%
Konsa 93%
Carlos 54% Torres 70%
Cash 69%
Kamara 77% Luiz 91% Digne 71%
McGinn 95%
Diaby 68% Watkins 98%
Aston Villa are very hard to pin to a formation so I've tried my best to show what I believe is in Emery's mind the best mix of players in roughly the right places. So don't shoot me! The only notable lower % player is Carlos but with Konsa able to play RCB/CB and Cash they've rotated well. Diaby has been rotated with Bailey for their pacey outlet option so overall looking very healthy with key players like Martinez, Konsa, Luis, McGinn and Watkins all in the 90+% bracket. Mings is long term injured but not a player any Villa fan would consider in their best XI. They have more recently picked up injuries and I would expect them to struggle more now with Kamara and Cash out. Kamara is out long term knee, Buendia is in recovery (knee) our for the season likely, Mings similar, Konsa likely out for 3/4 weeks.

Martinez 96%
Olsen* 4%
Gauci* 0%

Konsa 93%
Cash 69%
Kesler Hayden 0%

Torres 70%
Carlos 54%

Mings 1%
Lenglet 32%
Chambers 0%
Hause 0%

Digne 71%
Moreno 29%

Kamara 77%
Luiz 91%
McGinn 95%

Ramsey 30%
Tielemans 34%
Iroggebunam 1%

Diaby 68%
Bailey 50%

Zainolo 26%
Buendia 0%
Rogers 5%

Watkins 98%
Durán 8%

Manchester United
Onana 100%
Dalot 89%
Varane 42% Martinez 26% Shaw 43%
Casemiro 42% Mainoo 36%

Garnacho 66% Bruno 96% Rashford 76%
Højlund 64%
Now we can debate Dalot vs AWB, I've gone Dalot because he's had the most minutes and so as not to be accused of trying to hide high % playing 'starters', and I've opted Varane over Maguire but I'd argue Varane is better and it's only a 5% difference in minutes share.

When you consider Mainoo's minutes would likely have gone to Mount while injured we've been really royally fecked over by injuries. Look at us compared to the top 6 sides.

Dealing with some level of injury is absolutely to be expected but 5 of what many would consider our best XI haven't played more than 57% of our PL matches so far this season. Our best CB has missed 3/4 of the season so far and looks to be missing even more. And we've been without our best midfield pairing for 64% of the season. Now add in Champions League, League Cup and FA cup fixtures and you can see why we might have found it difficult.

The impact injuries have had on our defence is unprecedented we have one player (Dalot) who has been able to play 50%+ of our games.

In midfield due to injuries and fitness we've had to rely on McTominay for 56% of our game time but with the squad back and fit you can see his role is reduced to clutch player (impact sub).

Our record since having most players back has been 4 wins in 4. But we have Martinez out until April earliest, Martial out till April, Malacia expected back end of Feb/Early march, Shaw hopefully back this weekend. Mount also back hopefully next week. Wan Bissaka out for the foreseeable.

Onana 100%
Bayindir 0%*
Heaton 0%*

AWB 41%

Dalot 89%

Martinez 26%
Maguire 47%
Varane 42%
Lindelof 44%
Evans 41%
Kambwala 12%

Shaw 43%
Malacia 0%

Casemiro 42%
Amrabat 32%

Mainoo 36%

McTominay 56%
Eriksen 39%

Fernandes 96%
Mount 19%

Rashford 76%
Garnacho 66%
Antony 43%
Diallo 2%

Højlund 64%
Martial 21%

Thoughts?
Its interesting to look at like that and isn't without some credit, but I also think it is over simplifying things.

Varane and Shaw for example have a history of being injury prone. If you choose to rely on players who are injured a lot, you don't get to throw the unlucky card around when they get injured a lot.

Mainoo until he returned from injury wouldn't have been in the starting 11 graphic for us. That would only leave Casemiro and Martinez in red, and we weren't playing much better at the start of the season when Casemiro was fit and had Mount/Mctominay playing in front of him.

The bit that is hard to ignore is more or less every defender on the full squad list for United being in red. When you consider we have 2 capable full backs on each side, and 3 capable centrebacks plus Shaw who can fill in adequately there, that's a hard thing to plan for or not be impacted by. Even accounting for Shaw and Varane, you'd still expect to be fielding 100-75% of a capable defence most or every week. We've rarely been above 50% imo. We've had Lindelof and Amrabat starting at LB, or Dalot filling in there, and Evans playing regularly at CB.

But again it seems to happen to us for a prolonged spell almost every year where as other teams it will be a one off freak one season in 10, and sooner or later you can't keep putting it down to bad luck.

SER19

Based on a discussion in the Erik Ten Hag thread I present in my view the biggest reason we've failed to perform consistently at a high level whilst other teams haven't suffered as much in the top 6.

Each side in the Top 6 (Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Villa and United) have been broken down player by player into their % mins in the PL also with their (in my opinion) best XI and a brief comment as to how this looks in terms of key player losses and who has played in their stead. It also take a small look into the future in some cases with current injuries.

75% or above
50% to 74%
0% to 49%
* = GK or additional circumstance (e.g. Loan)

Liverpool
Alisson 88%
Trent 75% Van Dijk 89%
Konate 53% Robertson 40%
Mac Allister 68%
Jones 43% Szobozslai 77%
Salah 81%
____________ Díaz 69%
Núñez 66%

The only position up for debate here is Jones but as you can see Liverpool's overall availability taking into account rotations is healthy. The best players, Salah, Van Dijk, Alisson, Szobozslai and Trent all have played at least 3/4 of the PL season minutes to date with Robertson and Thiago arguably the only significant players absent through injury for a longer period. The rest of the squad has been used more in rotation as and when. Joe Gomez is the player who I wouldn't consider in the strongest XI but has played more minutes than Robertson. Injury wise Matip is ACL so out for the season, Szobozsali has a hamstring issue but could be back next week and Thiago is unlikely to return anytime soon but its not a 'big big injury', Trent has a knee issue unsure if he will or won't play on it and Salah has a thigh injury but could return this week.

Alisson 88%
Kelleher 13%*
Adrian 0%*

TAA 75%
Bradley 7%

Van Dijk 89%
Konate 53%
Joe Gomez 54%

Matip 36%
Quansah 16%

Robertson 40%
Tsimikas 31%

Mac Allister 68%
Endo 38%
Bajcetic 0%

Szoboszlai 77%
Jones 43%
Thiago 0%
Gravenberch 38%

Salah 81%
Diaz 69%
Jota 47%
Gakpo 43%
Elliot 26%

Doak 1%

Núñez 66%

Manchester City
Ederson 92%
Walker 92% Dias 76%
Ake 66% Gvardiol 71%
Rodri 83%
De Brunye 11% Bernardo 73%
Foden 90% Haaland 72% Doku 52%

Now there could be arguments made for the inclusion of several players here such is the strength in depth of the Man City squad but even allowing for any change you'd choose to make the only long term injuries have been De Brunye (massive of course) and Stones. The rest have been used in rotation as you would expect with a squad as strong as City's. I'd say they are the 2nd least affected side by injuries in the top 6. The only positions I consider up for debate in this starting XI are Doku and Ake. Álvarez is actually the most played outfield player with 94% mins played and would be the one to replace De Brunye in the most played XI. Currently no players are significantly injured Kovacic has a knock, Gvardiol being assessed and Grealish a hip issue being assessed.

Ederson 92%
Ortega 8%*
Carson 0%*

Walker 92%
Lewis 22%

Dias 76%
Aké 66%
Stones 29%
Akanji 64%

Gvardiol 71%

Gomez 1%

Rodri 83%
Kovacic 42%
Nunes 30%

De Brunye 11%

Bernardo Silva 73%

Foden 90%
Doku 52%
Grealish 34%
Bobb 6%

Haaland 72%
Álvarez 94%

Arsenal
Raya 83%
White 84% Saliba 100% Gabriel 84%
Zinchenko 66%
Rice 96%
Ødegaard 87%
Havertz 67%
Saka 92% Jesus 51% Martinelli 72%
Arsenal's first choice XI feels a bit more clear cut but I would accept an argument for Partey over Havertz. Regardless you can see they've had their best XI available the majority of the season the only exception being Jesus who still have over 1/2 the available minutes for Arsenal. Partey and Timber stand out as longer injuries to squad players but beyond that they've not been hit too badly. Saliba 100% is mind boggling considering his role! Timber is expected back April, Zinchenko has a calf issue but could be back this week, Partey has a hamstring issue no idea when back, Vieira is back in the next few weeks and Jesus has a knee problem but could be back within days too.

Raya 83%
Ramsdale 21%
Hein 0%*

White 84%
Tomiyasu 29%
Soares 1%

Saliba 100%
Gabriel 84%

Timber 2%
Kiwor 20%

Zinchenko 66%

Rice 96%
Partey 12%
Jorginho 23%
Elneny 1%

Ødegaard 87%
Havertz 67%
Vieira 11%
Smith Rowe 10%

Martinelli 72%
Trossard 38%

Saka 92%
Nelson 6%

Jesus 51%
Nketiah 47%

Tottenham Hotspur
Vicario 100%
Porro 96%
Romero 71% van de Ven 60% Udogie 82%
Sarr 59% Bissouma 58%
Kulusevski 86% Maddison 53% Son 80%
Richardson 59%
The Spurs midfield pairing is very much up for debate so argue amongst yourselves as to who you'd swap in but this myth of Spurs injuries have been as bad across the season just isn't statistically true. They have absolutely been impacted by losing Maddison but beyond that the loss isn't anywhere near our levels. They are I'd say the 2nd most affected by injuries out of the top 6. No major injuries to report currently but Lo Celso back this week, Solomon out for the foreseeable with knee issues and Sessegnon no idea.

Forster 0%*
Austin 0%*
Whiteman 0%*

Porro 96%
Royal 36%

Romero 71%
van de Ven 60%

Dragusin 2*
Dier* 11%

Udogie 82%
Davies 42%
Sessengnon 0%

Sarr 59%
Bissouma 58%

Bentacur 19%
Højbjerg 45%
Skipp 26%

Maddison 53%
Lo Celso 19%

Son 80%
Kulusevski 86%

Johnson 61%
Solomon 9%
Gil 9%

Richarlison 59%
Véliz 2%
Werner* 14% (approx of season)
88% (since loan)

Aston Villa
Martinez 96%
Konsa 93%
Carlos 54% Torres 70%
Cash 69%
Kamara 77% Luiz 91% Digne 71%
McGinn 95%
Diaby 68% Watkins 98%
Aston Villa are very hard to pin to a formation so I've tried my best to show what I believe is in Emery's mind the best mix of players in roughly the right places. So don't shoot me! The only notable lower % player is Carlos but with Konsa able to play RCB/CB and Cash they've rotated well. Diaby has been rotated with Bailey for their pacey outlet option so overall looking very healthy with key players like Martinez, Konsa, Luis, McGinn and Watkins all in the 90+% bracket. Mings is long term injured but not a player any Villa fan would consider in their best XI. They have more recently picked up injuries and I would expect them to struggle more now with Kamara and Cash out. Kamara is out long term knee, Buendia is in recovery (knee) our for the season likely, Mings similar, Konsa likely out for 3/4 weeks.

Martinez 96%
Olsen* 4%
Gauci* 0%

Konsa 93%
Cash 69%
Kesler Hayden 0%

Torres 70%
Carlos 54%

Mings 1%
Lenglet 32%
Chambers 0%
Hause 0%

Digne 71%
Moreno 29%

Kamara 77%
Luiz 91%
McGinn 95%

Ramsey 30%
Tielemans 34%
Iroggebunam 1%

Diaby 68%
Bailey 50%

Zainolo 26%
Buendia 0%
Rogers 5%

Watkins 98%
Durán 8%

Manchester United
Onana 100%
Dalot 89%
Varane 42% Martinez 26% Shaw 43%
Casemiro 42% Mainoo 36%

Garnacho 66% Bruno 96% Rashford 76%
Højlund 64%
Now we can debate Dalot vs AWB, I've gone Dalot because he's had the most minutes and so as not to be accused of trying to hide high % playing 'starters', and I've opted Varane over Maguire but I'd argue Varane is better and it's only a 5% difference in minutes share.

When you consider Mainoo's minutes would likely have gone to Mount while injured we've been really royally fecked over by injuries. Look at us compared to the top 6 sides.

Dealing with some level of injury is absolutely to be expected but 5 of what many would consider our best XI haven't played more than 57% of our PL matches so far this season. Our best CB has missed 3/4 of the season so far and looks to be missing even more. And we've been without our best midfield pairing for 64% of the season. Now add in Champions League, League Cup and FA cup fixtures and you can see why we might have found it difficult.

The impact injuries have had on our defence is unprecedented we have one player (Dalot) who has been able to play 50%+ of our games.

In midfield due to injuries and fitness we've had to rely on McTominay for 56% of our game time but with the squad back and fit you can see his role is reduced to clutch player (impact sub).

Our record since having most players back has been 4 wins in 4. But we have Martinez out until April earliest, Martial out till April, Malacia expected back end of Feb/Early march, Shaw hopefully back this weekend. Mount also back hopefully next week. Wan Bissaka out for the foreseeable.

Onana 100%
Bayindir 0%*
Heaton 0%*

AWB 41%

Dalot 89%

Martinez 26%
Maguire 47%
Varane 42%
Lindelof 44%
Evans 41%
Kambwala 12%

Shaw 43%
Malacia 0%

Casemiro 42%
Amrabat 32%

Mainoo 36%

McTominay 56%
Eriksen 39%

Fernandes 96%
Mount 19%

Rashford 76%
Garnacho 66%
Antony 43%
Diallo 2%

Højlund 64%
Martial 21%

Thoughts?
Brilliant work, was hoping somebody could put somethnig like this together. Weve had a terrible, freak first half to the season and can only hope it balances out

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I don't know if any stats can support to disprove this, but comparing us to City I think that when one of our first choices doesn't play it is generally because of injury, and there is a big drop-off in replacement; whereas when one of City's first choices doesn't play it is often to rest someone because they can, their replacement is almost as good. With City even if a player is injured their replacement hardly weakens them anyway. So I would say the op's original assertations are even stronger than the stats suggest.

TomSkalle

@Valencia Shin Crosses read this please.

If City (regrettably) are the standard you can see how every player they have helps their style with excellent individual quality suited to the teams needs.

If we want to play modern football we need a squad full of certain profiles. Now when City, Arsenal or Liverpool get injuries they’ve had the structure in place to have the right kind of profiles in the squad to play to a similar standard and manner. Of course some injuries would be more impactful than others see Liverpool losing Van Dijk or City losing Rodri.

Do we have that squad? And if not is that Ten Hags fault or a wider cultural issue?

Then we could argue well Ten Hag has to develop that style of play but how do you do that without the right personnel?

We could then argue well is Ten Hag the right manager for this current squad? But then if he’s not who is capable of getting them to play modern football without them being the archetypal modern player?
ETH has purchased players for £380M
This over 8 players.
Do you really think he was planning to play reactive fotball with those? Like he does now?
And he is bad at it as well.

Try to guess how many of those actually fits into a ball playing team?
All of them

The problem is that he has done bad transfers, either they are old, and dont have the legs for it, injury prone, or just not good enough.
Thats why he isnt playing modern fotball.
His fault. Nobody else.

You need to stop trying to make him into something he isnt.
He has been bad so far. Its that simple.

Last edited: