US Men's National Team Discussion

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So do we all need to apologize to Wynalda?? That makes me feel sad and gross inside.

Seriously though, the timeline of this will make all the difference. If they Reyna's were doing this, and it was soley in response to their son being told he would not play much, it looks (and is!!) horrible for them. If Berhalter benched Reyna in response to the Reyna parents (no indication Gio was involved) then it looks bad on all of the adults in the room. Whatever the case, the Reyna's, if this happened, are horrible.
Always felt he was overrated anyway. He seems to be a vindictive, shitty person.

NYAS

Can’t see how Gio and Gregg work together again, no matter how this ends.

bosskeano

come on guys....this shit happen when he was what 18, 20?He's 49 now married to the woman and has 3 guys with her. To go on a witch hunt now is bullshit. You may not like the guy but this is hitting way below the belt and the federation should be above this as should all of us

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
come on guys....this shit happen when he was what 18, 20?He's 49 now married to the woman and has 3 guys with her. To go on a witch hunt now is bullshit. You may not like the guy but this is hitting way below the belt and the federation should be above this as should all of us
I agree completely. What he did back then was deeply wrong, but everything he described he has done since then to address this sounds spot on the exact right thing to do. This is a non-story and never should have seen the light of day. The only way this reflects bad on Berhalter in any way is if he benched Gio in retribution for the shitty actions of his dad. I doubt that though. For whatever issues I have with his coaching I don't things he an asshole of that proportion.

phelans shorts

It reflects way worse on the Reyna’s this story

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Can’t see how Gio and Gregg work together again, no matter how this ends.
Probably the best thing that could happen for the lad's career. Maybe he can stay fit more than three weeks without the intercontinental travel.

bosskeano

i could definitely see this playing a role in Gio's lack of playing time IF Greg knew they were bringing this up to the press or the federation...while professionally i think it is bad judgment, the human side tells you subconsciously it had to play a role. It's really poor on Gio or his wife to do this and bring up this incident 30 years later ESPECIALLY in the midst of a World Cup

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I agree completely. What he did back then was deeply wrong, but everything he described he has done since then to address this sounds spot on the exact right thing to do. This is a non-story and never should have seen the light of day. The only way this reflects bad on Berhalter in any way is if he benched Gio in retribution for the shitty actions of his dad. I doubt that though. For whatever issues I have with his coaching I don't things he an asshole of that proportion.
Yeah, agreed.

The tricky part now is that Berhalter can't bench Gio without it being perceived as payback for his parents' actions.

It's absolutely unfair that this should be a factor in determining whether Berhalter should come back (IMO he shouldn't for strictly football reasons) but it will be.

bosskeano

Yeah, agreed.

The tricky part now is that Berhalter can't bench Gio without it being perceived as payback for his parents' actions.

It's absolutely unfair that this should be a factor in determining whether Berhalter should come back (IMO he shouldn't for strictly football reasons) but it will be.
well his contract expired so technically he's not going to be in control right now per his contract HOWEVER the federation has said until they complete some sort of inquest, Greg will not be part of any process for the upcoming US Camps.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
well his contract expired so technically he's not going to be in control right now per his contract HOWEVER the federation has said until they complete some sort of inquest, Greg will not be part of any process for the upcoming US Camps.
This I didn't know. Thought he was in contract for 2 more years.

Why is USSF doing an inquest then for an out of contract coach? :confused:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

He has family at USSF trying to clear his name? The best thing that could come of this is the entire coaching staff is let go. I mean they didn’t deserve it because of this BS, it would just be the best thing for the team.

bosskeano

Probably because they had a serious idea about renewing his contract.....this however could change things especially given all the shit that has gone on in the NWSL with player abuse towards the females and coaches.

Federation would be better served to distance themselves from Greg and move in a different direction. Issue simply is that who in the fck could you bring in?

For all the crap we see as negative about him as a manager....he's gotten US Soccer back on the radar as a team that can compete at a high level as shown in the World Cup. This being done without even a half decent number 9 and Gio sitting on his arse.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Federation would be better served to distance themselves from Greg and move in a different direction. Issue simply is that who in the fck could you bring in?
Can't recall the thread, maybe this thread or in a World Cup thread, but someone mentioned Bielsa for the sheer entertainment and madness of it.

bosskeano

Can't recall the thread, maybe this thread or in a World Cup thread, but someone mentioned Bielsa for the sheer entertainment and madness of it.
he was mentioned but i just don't see any chance of that happening

phelans shorts

If the complaint was raised while he was under contract, as it was, then they have to continue even if it ends up being something where he gets a ban from MLS coaching, surely?

I don’t see that being the case, however. He’ll get a new contract following the inquest which will end with him reiterating his apology and a warning about future conduct.

I can’t say I know enough about the USMNT to say whether he should stay on or not, purely as an outsider I don’t see much issue with what little I have seen (including that I don’t see any reason to be crowbarring Gio into the side I saw at the World Cup). Letting him go, unless it’s his decision, off the back of this will get a lot of backs up.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
What the actual feck is this story. What incredibly petty thing to do from the lads mum. 100% the type of person that has no friends because she "says it how it is" when really she's just a cnut.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s not like the Reyna’s cared about the incident either. They’ve been friends for 30 years. Claudio was best man at his wedding ffs. It’s been done purely to feck him because he didn’t play Gio at the World Cup. Which apparently he didn’t do because he trained so poorly. Not a fan of the man as a coach but this stuff is fecking bullshit. The Reynas seem like toxic scum.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
It’s not like the Reyna’s cared about the incident either. They’ve been friends for 30 years. Claudio was best man at his wedding ffs. It’s been done purely to feck him because he didn’t play Gio at the World Cup. Which apparently he didn’t do because he trained so poorly. Not a fan of the man as a coach but this stuff is fecking bullshit. The Reynas seem like toxic scum.
Basically this.

I highly doubt the woman casually remembered that "oh wait NOW is the right time for the world to know about an incident between a man and his girlfriend in their teens 30 years ago" right in the middle of the world cup, coincidentally one in which her son isn't playing.

kentafuji

Can we assume they are annoyed because a good showing at the world cup would raise his profile, and therefore potentially a future move for more money

He is young, he has ( or did?) a few more world cups to perform in.

Crazy story though

SER19

Truly dreadful thing to do to a family who you were friends with. Petty, disgraceful behaviour that should never have been made international news but this is the world we've created

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
This was definitely small dick energy from mrs Reyna!

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Honestly probably ruined his career. Cant see any decent team going near him so he'll have to drop down a level or two from Dortmund. Doubt even teams in the state's will want him, just for the potential agro.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Oh no, completely forgot this was happening but just realized that starting this year all USMNT and USWNT games will be on TNT/TBS or HBO Max. After the abomination that was TNT's Champions League experience, I have no hope this is going to end in any way but tears.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Honestly probably ruined his career. Cant see any decent team going near him so he'll have to drop down a level or two from Dortmund. Doubt even teams in the state's will want him, just for the potential agro.
Why? Because he has trouble with the US national team? Noone cares about the US national team, no club will care. Even less so if it means less flying around the world and less games for one of their players.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Why? Because he has trouble with the US national team? Noone cares about the US national team, no club will care. Even less so if it means less flying around the world and less games for one of their players.
No, because he's unnecessary drama waiting to happen and a potential distraction to a team.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

US Soccer hasn't been this interesting in years!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

US Soccer hasn't been this interesting in years!
Or, you know, he could have been doing that to say he’s not listening to all the crap out there. I’m only going by the pictures, but is there anything else to the celebration besides plugging his ears?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Or, you know, he could have been doing that to say he’s not listening to all the crap out there. I’m only going by the pictures, but is there anything else to the celebration besides plugging his ears?
I mean his coach said that he doesn't have a goal scorer like Depay in his team, then the next time one of his attackers scores he mimics Depay's celebration. It would be pretty unfortunate from Reyna if that wasn't what he meant.

Last edited: