US Men's National Team Discussion

one340

Ya I feel bad for you guys, homophobic chants notwithstanding, you have a proud footballing heritage but player development has really slipped in the last few years.
Santi gimenez seems promising and edson alvarez I think is developing into a top midfielder in Europe. But that's really it. Youth teams aren't doing well and don't see any young promising players in the next 5 years. Had they not been a host country they probably wouldn't have qualified for 2026

sport2793

In hindsight, don't think Weston should have been sent off but Dest being sent off was the correct decision. Dest made contact with another player's face and that sort of conduct can't be tolerated, no matter who's doing it.

bosskeano

Mexico has a massive dilemma right now in their federation. they have sacked EVERYONE from youth to national team coaches on both mens and womens side wiht what seems like no direction in place. On top of that, their player development pipeline has stagnated.

on the flip side....yes, the USMNT head job is in flux and a bit of a shambles however the player pipeline of development has grown tremendously and this currnet team is young, brash and full of piss n vinegar

bosskeano

In hindsight, don't think Weston should have been sent off but Dest being sent off was the correct decision. Dest made contact with another player's face and that sort of conduct can't be tolerated, no matter who's doing it.
100%

sport2793

Every single player in this US team will be in their prime in 26. Can't wait.
The good news is that US youth development is continuing to churn out quality so I'm not gonna pin all my hopes on one cycle, hopefully they can continue to improve step by step.

bosskeano

Every single player in this US team will be in their prime in 26. Can't wait.
funny you say that b/c you ask anyone in the federation or more importantly in the scouting department and '26 was the target WC for the US to push for a Final 8 type run

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Does anyone else feel like using VAR to give out reds in scuffles is an attack on CONCACAF culture?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The bad news is we ha G*3 is back. He has shown he will be outcoached at the highest level. He got bent over by LVG and he will be outcoached by any medium level coach in 26.

Wing Attack Plan R

Mexico fans away at a World Cup were great. Mexico fans in the US are shit. Unless you like having batteries thrown at your head, ice cubes and beer thrown at your family, etc., then you’d agree.

This match was ridiculous. It was like men against boys. There should have been several more reds handed out and hopefully that can be done retroactively. This match reminded me of the league I played in here in Los Angeles, every time my team was ahead it was what you saw tonight: every challenge was a foul, every time a player was near they’d grab your shirt or arms or (in one instance) your balls. It was t just the Mexican teams we played but also the Hondurans, and Salvadoran teams. The worst of all was fecking Belize, though!

Anyway, the federation needs to sanction Mexico, and this was the least competitive USA v Mexico game in memory.

Klean

It has nothing to do with passion and everything to do with both technical ability and physicality.
It has everything to do with having passion. The Mexican teams of the last 10 years always had a die on the field attitude for the country. Tonight they were clearly 2nd best and after the first 15 minutes looked very disinterested in being there. It manifested itself with the first straight red and then the meltdown afterwards. Maybe if they would have showed that fight from the beginning they wouldn't have gotten beat so comprehensively.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The 6 is the ONE position the US doesn't have or hasn't developed an alternative to Adams. They've looked at LDT, Erik Williamson, Acosta...who are all shit. I think Aidan Morris is the kid they want to make into that type of Adams player. Let's see how they use Busio and Sonora if they come on at all.
What is Taylor Booth's style of play? Saw his name linked to United a while back.

RoyH1

Mexico fans away at a World Cup were great. Mexico fans in the US are shit.
Agree, it's complex but there's a clear socioeconomic and cultural difference between those two. The former are generally middle/upper class Mexicans who live in their native country, many coming from the richer big cities/states and can afford to travel. Privileged basically, have less to lash out at. The latter are Mexican/Americans or Mexicans who've lived in the US for a long time. Generally come from a more disadvantaged backgrounds and emigrated from rural areas and now have money in their hands by working their asses off, but being drunk in big crowds like that is really not going to bring out the best in them. When the US hosts Mexico, I'd ban the sale of alcohol. Period. And deny anyone who looks intoxicated/high access to the stadium.

On another note, the Mexican federation and clubs have completely destroyed the youth development pipeline and the general level of the Mexican players and playing style has stagnated. Back in the late 90's early mid 00's there was a lot of talk of Mexico being an up and coming national team and they won several youth tournaments. Now they've been clearly leapfrogged by the US (forever probably now), Canada is on the verge of overtaking them and if they don't get their shit together, maybe the likes of Jamaica, Costa Rica or Honduras will do too. And no, blaming it on Martino or another NT coach is not it. The problem is systemic.

Bertie Wooster

It’s hard to believe this game is on home soil. USMNT might be one of the few teams that can play in their home country but feel like it’s in a completely hostile environment.
You get it at cricket here in England when we're playing India or Pakistan - especially at the Birmingham matches. Not 'hostile environment', as you don't get that at cricket, but it certainly feels more like a home game for the away team given the numbers and volume of their support.

As regards the match, great win for the US but a shame about the two suspensions for the final. I opted to miss the first game entirely and set my alarm for 3am. However I only managed to stay awake for the first half and woke up to see I missed all the drama in the 2nd half.

MarylandMUFan

It's also part of the massive money grab that is our federation. They could play the game in Columbus or St. Louis but they would rather cash in with the game in LA, LV or Texas. The federation should bad Mexico from the gold cup but they won't do it because they like the money.

bosskeano

Does anyone else feel like using VAR to give out reds in scuffles is an attack on CONCACAF culture?
if they actually used VAR last night whoever was in charge of it must have been drunk given the McKennie red card and how they did send off 19 for headbutting Dest. Dest deserved to be sent off as you can put your hands to another player face.

what that attack really is isn't necessarily about the CONCAF culture but more so about the poor quality of refereeing in CONCAF. Simple, ref allowed that match to get out of control which resulted in 4 reds where one team didn't care and one team lost their heads/emotions to impact them greatly

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You get it at cricket here in England when we're playing India or Pakistan - especially at the Birmingham matches. Not 'hostile environment', as you don't get that at cricket, but it certainly feels more like a home game for the away team given the numbers and volume of their support.

As regards the match, great win for the US but a shame about the two suspensions for the final. I opted to miss the first game entirely and set my alarm for 3am. However I only managed to stay awake for the first half and woke up to see I missed all the drama in the 2nd half.
Germany will be playing Turkey in Berlin. I expect the same outcome.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
USA vs Mexico must be one of the wildest/ugliest rivalries in football these days :lol: If the time difference wasn't so fecked then I'd definitely put the games in my calendar.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I follow Mexico as my second favourite NT due to having a Mexican wife, but I was fully expecting the USA to pull clear of an open up a big gap on Mexico.

The trends of more and more US players joining clubs in the best European leagues (or at least bigger clubs in 2nd tier European leagues), but not enough Mexican players leaving the Liga MX comfort zone / getting regular minutes at clubs in Europe, was always likely to be decisive.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Disagree with that as an American. Just shows how unique America is that we have so many cultures and ex-pats that a home game can be turned into an away game.
As an American who regularly attends sports events in the US and has attended them in other countries I don't see how you look at the enthusiasm in NBA, NFL, and MLB games and compare them to the rest of the world. It's not a playoff game people generally don't care.

Jersey Heel

College football, as mentioned, and college basketball fans are great. Obviously, it’ll depend on the team as for how passionate the fan base is, but that’s true anywhere. Many American pro teams produce a great atmosphere.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Well, the players (uh... probably not Gio though) got what they wanted. Not sure why the US even wasted the money on search firm or hire Crocker when they could have just put Pulisic into the DoF role and saved some money. The players and G3 better deliver in the Copa, and by deliver I mean make the semifinals at a minimum.