US Open 2003

rOnaldo[7]

Sharapova is playing :D

Russian 16-year-old Maria Sharapova moved a step closer to a third-round clash with sixth seed Jennifer Capriati at the US Open thanks to a 6-1 6-1 demolition of Spain's Virginia Ruano Pascual.

rOnaldo[7]

Roddick came through 6-3 7-6 6-3 to set up a second round clash with Ivan Ljubicic - and leave Britian without a representative after Greg Rusedski went out on Monday.

I bet Roddick is gona win the title. He's on fire :keano: :keano: :keano:
Only agassi or federer can stop him.

redeus

Roddick wins. A typical performance from one of a growing band of players who rely mainly on their serves to win. Thank God for people like Agassi and Federer.

And why are you getting excited over Sharapova? She's 16 for crying out loud. In some parts of the USA, you could get arrested for trying it on with her.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Players with big serves isn't anything new. At least Roddick backs his serves up with powerful groundstrokes. His game is becoming more and more complete under Brad Gilbert. He's got to be the favourtite at this point.

Sporty

It's umbrella time at the US Open at the moment. I was hoping to see Justine play live, but it's going to be a nono
On the men's side Hewitt and Paradorn are through. They both had an easy victory. Lleyton even got a little help, as his opponent retired during the second set.

On the women's side Capriati, Dementieva, Pierce, Myskina and Schiavone are through. Pierce was the only one who had an easy victory. Schiavona needed one tie-break, Dementieva needed two tie-breaks, Capriati and Myskina both needed three sets.

Quite a few matches are interrupted by the rain. Agassi won the first set against Kafelnikov, Dent won his first set as well and is serving for the second, Coria only started his match. Bjorkman on the other hand is at match point in the fith set against Kucera. What a moment in the match to stop :smirk:

Ferrero, Henin-Hardenne and Safina are still waiting to get their matches started.

Btw, speaking about Safin's sister, where is Marat at? Is he injured or something? I haven't heard any news from him in ages.

Sporty

Ta :)

Btw, Justine is playing his little sister in the next round.

Any views on who's going to win the men's tournament this year? Does anyone think that good ol' André can pull it off, or do we have to look for the younger generation like Roddick and Federer.

mjdj

LLeyton is looking good.
no pressure on him at the moment which is awesome :)

Sporty

I don't know if Lleyton has been tested so far, but if he's back to his old form he's obviously a contender for the title.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My moneys on either Roddick or Agassi. Both of them are playing at a very high rate. It would be a good final if the draw allows it.

redeus

How good is Federer on this surface, compared to grass? If there isn't a great deal of difference to him, he should beat everyone, except maybe Agassi.

I really hope either Agassi or Federer win. These players have so much class and skill and don't rely on huge serves or power to win matches (e.g. Rusedski, Ivansivic, Philipoussis, and to a lesser extent, Roddick, who actually is a good player besides his power).
I would also root for Hewitt but he's such a prat that I find it hard to want him to win, even though I like the way he plays.

I'm rooting for Agassi and Federer, and do believe one of the two will win, simply because they're better than everyone else, besides Hewitt maybe.

Sporty

Xavier Malisse is up against Roddick in the next round. Malisse is a very gifted player and should be in the top 10 (according to Nick Bolitieri amongst others) but he has a bit of trouble with the mental side of the game. He got of to a fresh start now that Bolitieri is coaching him, but obviously Roddick is the favourite in this match. I'm still curious to see what Xavier can come up with though. He won a set in their last encouter ... I just hope it'll be a good match.

Apart from that, I would have to go with André, Andy and Roger for favourites for the title. Hewitt hasn't done much all year, so I doubt he's back on track yet. It would be nice to see André win it, but then that's just me. I believe a final between André and Andy is one of the options, I wouldn't have a problem with that :)

On the women's side, I saw Davenport's second and third set last night. She had a lot of trouble with young Russian girl Petrova. Lindsay came through in the end, but that foot injury was clearly bothering her. I think it's bothering her that much that it will be impossible for her to win the title.

Sporty

Redeus said:
How good is Federer on this surface, compared to grass?
It's hard to tell really, but he's a pretty allround type of guy, so I think it doesn't make much of a difference to him. I guess we'll find out soon enough

Sporty

Some nice matches scheduled for today:

André against Taylor Dent. Shouldn't be a problem for André. JC Ferrero is up against Todd Martin. Don't see a problem for JC either.

Then you have Capriati vs Dementieva. Has potential, but I think Jennifer is going to come out on top. Other matches are Sugiyama vs Schiavone and Myskina vs Pierce. Mary seems to have found some fresh air and is said to be playing better.

And then the most important one for me: Justine vs Safina. I'm not sure what can be expected from the young Russian, but if Justine want her second GS title she has to get through matches like these. Preferably losing as little time and strenght as possible. Belgian tv is broadcasting is at 1am tonight, but not sure yet if I'm going to watch. Just might though, it's not like I have to get up early tomorrow

reelworld

Is Agassi - Federer final possible?
Agassi is my favorite player and I just saw Federer against Blake on TV and he was fecking amazing!
It will be a great final IMO..

Sporty

Yep, an Agassi-Federer is possible, as André is seeded first and Roger second.

A Roddick-Federer semi final is possible as well.

Sporty

Looks like there won't be much tennis going on today

source: www.usopen.org[/I]
Today's weather calls for light rain throughout the day, steady at times. At this time, the forecast is not encouraging, but the USTA will make every effort to try and provide you with a great day of tennis, if the weather permits. The USTA will make a final decision on the day session by 5 p.m. Thank you for your patience during this delay, and we will update you to any changes as they occur.

Sporty

Looks like Henin and Capriati are on their way to meet each other in the semi finals.

Jennifer had a good win over Russian girl Dementieva last night, in a match that kept being interrupted by rain. 6-2, 7-5. Must have been hard to keep the rhythm up.

Justine's match was delayed by 3 hours and a half, but she did get to play her match in one go. She absolutely destroyed Safina with 6-0, 6-3. She was up 6-0, 5-0 but then she made a few unforced errors which enabled Safina to score a few points and break Justine's servce once. It never really looked as though Safina was getting back into the match however, because before she even started getting her hopes up, Justine finished off the match.

Other Belgian Kim Clijsters if facing French girl Amélie Mauresmo. Hope it will be a good match. It would be nice to see Kim tested at this stage of the tournament

Sporty

just a shame that it'll be smack in the middle of the night for us european peeps

Sporty

I think Kim is a sure bet for the final, certainly as Lindsay is not fully fit.

On the other side of the draw it'll be a nice semi final between Justine and Jennifer I think. They are both on the top of their game at the moment, so it should be a very good match. Their matches have always been very close. In the head to head it's 3-2 for Justine. On hardcourt they have met twice and they each won a match: in Montreal last year (quarter finals) Capriati won with 4-6, 6-0, 6-2 and in Dubai this year (semi finals) Henin won with 7-5, 4-6, 6-4. All their encounters have ended in three-set matches.

Since then Henin's game has improved remarkably, she's won her first slam and has been gaining strength and confidence all through the year. Capriati on the other hand hasn't done much all year, so is quite eager to get a good result in and - let's not forget - she's playing for a home crowd, which is a huge advantage at the noisy US Open. Should be a good match, I hope I can watch it

Ruudsgirl

I hope Justine Henin -Ardenne does it, She is a great player!

Sporty

If this wheather keeps up they'll have to reschedule the Australian Open :o

tine

forum totty
giggzy said:
I reckon JuJu's crap.

Sorry, Snorty. ;)
oooooooh you are so gonna be in trouble when Ilse reads that, I reckon she might not wanna talk to you anymore and ignore you ;)

Red15

rOnaldo[7] said:
Roger Federer is out!!!
beaten by David Nalbandian in four sets...
Yeah, I watched that last night. Really disappointed. But with Federer gone, it's an easy choice for me now. I hope Agassi wins it now.

rOnaldo[7]

Red15 said:
Yeah, I watched that last night. Really disappointed. But with Federer gone, it's an easy choice for me now. I hope Agassi wins it now.
i know agassi is a great player..but roddick is on top form now..
i would prefer a roddick-hewitt final..it would be a great match..
power..skill..emotion..

Cal?

CR7 fan
I hope it's a Ferraro v Roddick final

The new superstars of tennis to replace the rivalry of Agassi & Sampras

Sporty

So that's Agassi-Ferrero and Roddick-Nalbandian.

I think it'll be André vs Andy in the final and then I hope André can go all the way, although it'll be difficult as Roddick is playing some good tennis.

PS: Thank you Andy for knocking out Dutch guy Sjeng Schalken cause the guy is a discrace for the sport. I don't know how he manages to get so far in tournaments time after time, but his technique is awful and just a pain to watch

Elfie

Sporty said:
US Open ... Belgian Open, what's the difference :smirk:
Yes, congratulations to them !

I hope Justine will win, but I think that Clijsters will have the best chances as she'll be fitter. But she deserves to win a grand Slam too, so I won't be too disappointed if she wins.