US Open 2003

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ferrero is in much better form than Agassi, he should make it.

Battle of the young superstars for the final.

The Red Machine

over 2 months in exile
Since this is - afterall - a football forum, let's translate it into football terms:

vs

Clijsters -- vs -- Henin

;)

Com'on Clijsters!

Member 5225

So Henin beats Kim. I am a Kim Klijster's fan, but don't really mind that Henin-Hardenne won.Link

As long as the William's don't get anywhere near the trophies... :nervous:

I was pretty shocked to see Agassi knocked out by Ferrero. But I hope Roddick wins...

Elfie

Cheers Justine ! She's fantastic. Her tennis is beautiful, precise, both technical and brilliant. With the size she has...She has merit.

Shame her mother is not here to see that.

She deserves to be number one this year, with two victories in grand slams and two semi-finals.

:D :D :D

Cal?

CR7 fan
Paz said:
I was pretty shocked to see Agassi knocked out by Ferrero. But I hope Roddick wins...
Agassi was totally outplayed by Ferrero. Juan Carlos deserves to be in the final.

Elfie

Cal said:
Agassi was totally outplayed by Ferrero. Juan Carlos deserves to be in the final.
I've always thought that with the tennis he has, he had everything to be good on fast surfaces too.

Sporty

After her win against Capriati, she totally deserved this title. I've been saying Justine would win majors for three years now, and what do you know, she has already won two now. The sky is the limit :drool:

becks_007

Today's men finals should be superb.....Ferrero vs Roddick.....

I'm a big Roddick fan for the last 18 months....he plays superb tennis and has a great attitude......he deserves this grand slam....esp. form coming back from match point in the semi's......

Both players r talented and young...should be fun!!!! :drool:

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
becks_007 said:
and has a great attitude......
:eek: :confused: he whines like a spoilt brat when calls don't go his way! plus he was mouthing off at Nalbandian yest for summat or other!
i was disappointed for David. he played the better tennis but his extra hours/sets on court and the crowd really did for him.

now Ferrero...the man just oozes dignity! apparently his dying mother didn't like the loud abusive tennis types so he promised her he would always play with grace and dedicate each victory to her!

come on JC!!!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Red Machine said:
Like the French Open, you mean?
The French is on Clay, not the strongest surface for either Williams. There's no way Serena or Venus would've lost at the US Open if they were playing. Luckily they've both committed to playing professional tennis for another 10 years. :D

The Red Machine

over 2 months in exile
Raoul said:
The French is on Clay, not the strongest surface for either Williams. There's no way Serena or Venus would've lost at the US Open if they were playing. Luckily they've both committed to playing professional tennis for another 10 years. :D
Not a tough task if you're only going to play 10 tournaments a season...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Serena has played exactly half the amount of tournaments as Clijsters has this year, which explains why Kim is #1. Now I like Clijsters (when compared to Henin), but there's just no way she would be the number one player in the world if both sisters played a full schedule. I read an interview with Serena recently, where she said that she wanted to be fully healed before she comes back to reclaim her #1 ranking, which should happen later this year.

The Red Machine

over 2 months in exile
Raoul said:
Serena has played exactly half the amount of tournaments as Clijsters has this year, which explains why Kim is #1. Now I like Clijsters (when compared to Henin), but there's just no way she would be the number one player in the world if both sisters played a full schedule. I read an interview with Serena recently, where she said that she wanted to be fully healed before she comes back to reclaim her #1 ranking, which should happen later this year.
It's true that there aren't many points between them, yet you do have to take into account that the GS are given an extraordinay weight. So if you win two - like Serena has - you get a massive amount of points, which would take KC a lot of smaller tournaments to catch up with.

The difference isn't as big as you'd like to pretend it is: don't forget that KC did play to Slam Finals this year (the same amount as SW). Next year will be all about taking that last step and winning one.

Once she does that (and thus gets the WTA-Points that come with it) she'll be a long way ahead of SW, unless the latter stops being as lazy as she is and shows herself to ordinary tennis fans outside the Slams.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Red Machine said:
It's true that there aren't many points between them, yet you do have to take into account that the GS are given an extraordinay weight. So if you win two - like Serena has - you get a massive amount of points, which would take KC a lot of smaller tournaments to catch up with.

The difference isn't as big as you'd like to pretend it is: don't forget that KC did play to Slam Finals this year (the same amount as SW). Next year will be all about taking that last step and winning one.

Once she does that (and thus gets the WTA-Points that come with it) she'll be a long way ahead of SW, unless the latter stops being as lazy as she is and shows herself to ordinary tennis fans outside the Slams.
The fundemental reality persists. Serena has played exactly half of the tournaments that Clijsters has and is still #2 in the world. She would have three slams and a semi at the French to her credit if she were healthy. The only chance Henin and Clijsters will have next year will be at the French, and I don't even know if they will be able to topple either sister there once they're back at full fitness.

cD

Raoul said:
Both would be won by the Williams sisters if they were playing. :D
:nono: dont talk crap. How can you make statements like that when you dont even know what kind of form theyd have been in? Remember Roland Garros 2003....not too long ago. I think your just sour that a non-American won the US Open and are suffering from an inferiority complex.

cD

Raoul said:
The fundemental reality persists. Serena has played exactly half of the tournaments that Clijsters has and is still #2 in the world. She would have three slams and a semi at the French to her credit if she were healthy. The only chance Henin and Clijsters will have next year will be at the French, and I don't even know if they will be able to topple either sister there once they're back at full fitness.
Who the hells stopping them from playing more tournaments anyways...if they arent obviously, they're too lazy or they arent up to it. Either ways if you want to be the No.1 player in the world you have to prove it by playing and if you dont, you cant claim to be the best player...simple as that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just stop now CD. I don't want you to make a complete buffoon out of yourself again. They've been injured since Wimbledon and both had various injuries early on as well (not serious enough to keep them out indefinitely unlike their recent injuries). Think of it this way. Henin or Clijsters being considered the top two in the world would be in Tennis terms tantamount to Liverpool or Newcastle winning the league because Man United or Arsenal only played 19 games. Doesn't add up does it. I was making a simple point about the FACT that Serena would easily be #1 if she had been healthy that year. No need to make this a US v the rest of the world type thread.

Sporty

Everything I had to say is in the first reply I gave in this topic, why Kim is now #1 and why I respect Justine, ... so I'm not repeating that here. I don't see the point in arguing (with Americans) about this anymore. Even the guy handing over the trophy didn't know who Justine was, as he called her Christine while he was congratulating her on winning the tournament. Everything that is non-American isn't worth the waste of their time it seems. It's their loss.

Justine and Kim will both show next year that they deserve to be #1 and #2. I know it'll be hard for them to keep those positions, but at least it will be interesting to see three or four (if Venus can be bothered) top athletes to compete for the #1 spot and the slam titles.

I for one do no longer feel the need to defend my opinion, as I have been doing for the last few years. Justine is #2 in the world now, has won 2 majors and is only 300 points away from the #1 position with very few points to defend these last few months of the season. From the first time I saw her play, I knew she had the potential of becoming a real top player, and she has proved just that. If people refuse to see her talent, then that's their problem. Now there are tennis greats like McEnroe saying he would give up everything just to play doubles with Justine or Navratilova saying that of all the players she would like to coach Justine the most because she is the most natural player around with a great court coverage.

And all those people who can't handle Justine and Kim playing the final, they'll get their wake-up call sooner or later. They are the world's top players now, and when Serena gets back, they'll be ready.

Just stop nagging about 'if Serena and Venus had been there', 'if Serena and Venus had played more tournaments' ... well they weren't and they didn't ... get over it already, cause it's getting old REAL fast.

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
Williams' sisters are CLEARLY the best two players in the world....

Rankings don't mean shit..

And there's no way in hell that JuJu would've won..had they been playing..

Hollow victory.

Sporty

Raoul said:
Just shut now CD. I don't want you to make a complete buffoon out of yourself again. They've been injured since Wimbledon and both had various injuries early on as well (not serious enough to keep them out indefinitely unlike their recent injuries). Think of it this way. Henin or Clijsters being considered the top two in the world would be in Tennis terms tantamount to Liverpool or Newcastle winning the league because Man United or Arsenal only played 19 games. Doesn't add up does it. I was making a simple point about the FACT that Serena would easily be #1 if she had been healthy that year. No need to make this a US v the rest of the world type thread.
You are sounding like a broken record Raoul. If anyone is making this a US vs the rest of the world type thread it's you. But I've had enough really. What was I thinking that it would be possible to have a decent tennis discussion on here. I see you still haven't opened your eyes, and you probably never will. I on the other hand will go on and enjoy Justine's game, and witness many more great moments during her career.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sporty said:
You are sounding like a broken record Raoul. If anyone is making this a US vs the rest of the world type thread it's you. But I've had enough really. What was I thinking that it would be possible to have a decent tennis discussion on here. I see you still haven't opened your eyes, and you probably never will. I on the other hand will go on and enjoy Justine's game, and witness many more great moments during her career.
Noones preventing you from having a decent discussion. And for the record, CD is responsible for labelling me as bitter in this thread and in another recent tennis thread. I hadn't brought up a nation vs nation arguement before that.

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
Raoul said:
You're a brave soul Giggzy. ;)

It's the truth...;)

People should respect the Williams' sisters.....

They're the first black people to dominate tennis..

Hopefully, people of black and other ethnic backgrounds will be inspired by them..

(People, outside the US, hate winners. :houllier:....)

Sporty

Raoul said:
Noones preventing you from having a decent discussion. And for the record, CD is responsible for labelling me as bitter in this thread and in another recent tennis thread. I hadn't brought up a nation vs nation arguement before that.
By refusing to acknowledge Kim and Justine's talent and going on about Serena and Venus, you sound like a stuck-up American. Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how it comes across. And the same thing is making a serious discussion impossible, because you refuse to talk about Kim and Justine in a respectful way. Respect is the least they deserve for the results they got this year.

I know I hide it well at times, but I do respect Venus and Serena for what they have accomplished. They came out of nowhere, and worked their way up right to the top. However, I will never be able to appreciate their tennis game as much as I do Justine's, as their game is based on power, while Justine's is based on pure talent and technique. Combine that talent and technique with all the efforts she putting in to improve her physical strength and that will bring her many more important victories.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sporty said:
By refusing to acknowledge Kim and Justine's talent and going on about Serena and Venus, you sound like a stuck-up American. Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how it comes across. And the same thing is making a serious discussion impossible, because you refuse to talk about Kim and Justine in a respectful way. Respect is the least they deserve for the results they got this year.

I know I hide it well at times, but I do respect Venus and Serena for what they have accomplished. They came out of nowhere, and worked their way up right to the top. However, I will never be able to appreciate their tennis game as much as I do Justine's, as their game is based on power, while Justine's is based on pure talent and technique. Combine that talent and technique with all the efforts she putting in to improve her physical strength and that will bring her many more important victories.
I started a thread congratulating Kim several weeks ago when she made #1. :wenger:

Cal?

CR7 fan
I personally hope that the Williams sister don't make it back to the top, they were doing well to kill the womens game with their style when they were at the top.

At least Sampras & co combined brute power with a lot of skill, the Willams simply hit it hard.

Sporty

Raoul said:
I started a thread congratulating Kim several weeks ago when she made #1. :wenger:
Yeah followed by remarks how she never would have made it to #1 if Serena and Venus had played more, hadn't been injured :rolleyes:

tine

forum totty
Raoul said:
You're a brave soul Giggzy. ;)
he's like a fecking monkey repeating things you've said and/ or just saying things about something he's not even interested in let alone knows something about

Elfie

Sporty said:
However, I will never be able to appreciate their tennis game as much as I do Justine's, as their game is based on power, while Justine's is based on pure talent and technique. Combine that talent and technique with all the efforts she putting in to improve her physical strength and that will bring her many more important victories.
Exactly. Her tennis is pure talent, and I will always admire more talent and technique than force. With her fragile frame, she has more merit than the others.

Elfie

Raoul said:
You don't know, everything can happen, including a better player, injuries etc...Remember Monica Seles, or Martina Hingis.

As for injuries, they're part of the games. May be if they played more they wouldn't be so strong.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
Elfie said:
Exactly. Her tennis is pure talent, and I will always admire more talent and technique than force. With her fragile frame, she has more merit than the others.
j'agree. it's the same with the men. there were some great skillful battles going on (e.g. Ferrero v Agassi was fantastic...the winner between the legs!) and then Roddick comes on and aces his way to a Grand Slam. i know i shouldn't criticise a big serve as it's obviously a skill but, f*ck me, it makes for some :boring: tennis! it almost feels like cheating....

Sporty

Nice to see some kindred spirits in here. At least there are some people in here that know their tennis :drool:

Elfie

Concerning Kim Clijsters, once more she has been very gracious in defeat, although it must be hard for her.