US Open 2003

Sporty

Elfie said:
Concerning Kim Clijsters, once more she has been very gracious in defeat, although it must be hard for her.
Yeah the Belgian press is blowing it all out of proportion once again. First they said that Justine had a Clijsters-complex and now they say it's the other way around. I guess they'll do anything to sell as many newspapers as possible

Elfie

I don't know if Raoul knows his tennis, but one thing is sure, he knows his American tennis players... Had Serena been French (or Belgian...), he wouldn't defend her. :lol:

Elfie

Sporty said:
Yeah the Belgian press is blowing it all out of proportion once again. First they said that Justine had a Clijsters-complex and now they say it's the other way around. I guess they'll do anything to sell as many newspapers as possible
She's young, she has time to win tournaments. Her time will come.

Sporty

Elfie said:
I don't know if Raoul knows his tennis, but one thing is sure, he knows his American tennis players... Had Serena been French (or Belgian...), he wouldn't defend her.
that's what I think as well, but I'm sure he'll deny it

Sporty

Elfie said:
She's young, she has time to win tournaments. Her time will come.
If you can win the masters, you can win a grand slam, it's just a matter of time

Elfie

Sporty said:
that's what I think as well, but I'm sure he'll deny it
Obviously. And he'll answer I defend Justine because she's European, or because she speaks French, that's what he thinks.

Sporty

Elfie said:
Obviously. And he'll answer I defend Justine because she's European, or because she speaks French, that's what he thinks.
Well, then I'ld be a fan of Kim, because she is Flemish, like me. But I still favour Justine because or her game.

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
Elfie said:
I don't know if Raoul knows his tennis, but one thing is sure, he knows his American tennis players... Had Serena been French (or Belgian...), he wouldn't defend her. :lol:

Can you tell Tine, that I'm a HUGE fan of Serena.

She doesn't believe me.....and called me a monkey.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Elfie said:
I'm not really a fan of the Williams sisters. I've always been a Capriati fan. But one things for sure. I have to concede that they are the best in the world when healthy and playing. Everyone else is left with the scraps.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Elfie said:
I've never made an issue of their national backgrounds. Only CD and now YOU have brought this up. Any rational person will acknowledge that Serena is the best in the world. She's won 5 of the last 8 slams and has won EVERY slam in her career. Once again, the fact that I think Serena is the best womens tennis player in the world by a country mile doesn't mean that Henin or Clijusters are bad players - they just have the bad fortune of coming to the worlds stage at a time when the Williams sisters did. If Serena and Venus weren't around there's no doubt that they would be fighting for the top 2 rankings year round.

Sporty

Raoul said:
I've never made an issue of their national backgrounds. Only CD and now YOU have brought this up. Any rational person will acknowledge that Serena is the best in the world. She's won 5 of the last 8 slams and has won EVERY slam in her career. Once again, the fact that I think Serena is the best womens tennis player in the world by a country mile doesn't mean that Henin or Clijusters are bad players - they just have the bad fortune of coming to the worlds stage at a time when the Williams sisters did. If Serena and Venus weren't around there's no doubt that they would be fighting for the top 2 rankings year round.
Thank you for the 'that doesn't mean that Henin or Clijsters are bad players' part. Now was that so hard for you to say that ;)

Well, I can't deny that Serena won a hell of a lot of big tournaments over these last few years, but I do feel that Henin and Clijsters will be able to compete with her. I don't know if Clijsters is willing to put in the hard work, but Henin is going to Florida again during the winter to go and improve her physical strength some more. Her physical coach seems to think that she can progress as much as she did last year, so I think that will make her strong enough to actually compete with Serena. Serena will probably always have the advantage of being stronger but it's great to see how Justine can compensate that with her technique.

In the end, I just want to see some good tennis. Justine will always have to play her best tennis to beat Serena, so that's why it's always so great to watch them play against each other. I will always favour Justine's game, that's just how it is.

Basically, we can talk about this as much as we like, but in the end the players will have to prove it out on the courts. And I'm confident that Justine will prove my point :) Time will tell

Sporty

Jennifer has been having a bit of a tough year it seems. I don't really know why, cause I've only been following Justine this year. Haven't really paid attention to anyone else, just because I was too busy. Do you think she'll get back into the top 5, Raoul? Any idea on her future plans?

I just want your views on this Raoul, it's not to make fun or anything I swear. I just want to know what happened to her this year, cause I don't really know what's going on.

Elfie

Raoul said:
For you the best is the winner. That's not so simple.

If Serena faces the 100th man, the man will win, because he's a man and has more force. That doesn't mean he is better.

I think that Justine has more variety, touch and technique, if she improves physically, she'll become unbeatable.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Elfie said:
For you the best is the winner. That's not so simple.

If Serena faces the 100th man, the man will win, because he's a man and has more force. That doesn't mean he is better.

I think that Justine has more variety, touch and technique, if she improves physically, she'll become unbeatable.
Unbeatable to everyone but the Williams sisters. :)