US Open 2011

wr8_utd

:'(
Injury? Lol.

Glad that Nadal won't be the only one accused of "faking".

Anyway congratulations to Djoko. He's been fantastic and truly the number one player in the world.

Proud of the fight shown by Nadal today)

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Amazing game. Djokovic to dominate the decade????
I doubt he'll outright dominate.

Tennis is going through a purple patch right now with some great players and some really good potentials coming through as well.

Novak's had an incredible year, but Rafa won't take it lying down. He's responded to challenges in his whole career. He'll need to improve his game and I have no doubts he will. Lets not forget Rafa won a slam and reached two finals in what was suppose to be a poor year. There's also Del Potro out there who will also be a huge threat on the hard courts once he's fully fit.

Incredibly Novak is just a French away from completing the slam. I reckon he'll do it next year.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
It wasn't an injury in terms of an open wound after a sniper shot, he had problems with his lower back muscles and you could clearly see it. Let's not blame this on 'stealing Nadals momentum', do you guys really think Nadal would have won the last two sets? Seriously?

Also, it was a 3 minutes time out, yes Nole had the chance to rest, although considering his physio was all over him on the floor I'd hardly consider this as rest. And anyway, that's an additional three minutes of rest for Nadal also.

It seems he quickly needed his back fixed, plus the pain killers did the rest. It's a bit pathetic going on about 'faking an injury' considering Nole won the winning set by 6:1. If Nadal wasn't able to win more than one game in the final set that speaks more about his current inability to compete on Nole's level at that given moment. Some of you lot act as if Nole's medical time out won him the Slam.

vuc

First Team Serb
Miha is right.

Djokovic fully deserved the win, and he could have done it in 3 sets.

The difference between Fed and Nadal is the serve. Federer wasn't giving Djokovic hardly any opportunities to break but Nadal gave him so many chances, which he was obviously going to take.

wr8_utd

Nadal's serve was very good at the USO last year and he was serving in the 130's regularly. This year his serve has been atrocious at times and he's been playing shorter than ever. It doesn't really help against a returner as good as Djokovic

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The harping on about the injury time out is ridiculous. If someone's momentum is so fragile then they don't deserve to win. The third set was an anomaly. Nadal basically decided to smash everything and hope it comes off. That kind of tennis can never sustain and be successful long term. Especially given his game is not about that.

And I hope they start putting federer vs Nadal as the semi from now on. Djokovic has earned the right to play no.4 in the semis. He shouldnt have to go trough federer AND Nadal to win everything.

wr8_utd

No one is harping about the time out. Just saying that Nadal shouldn't be the only one accused by others of "cheating". It's a tactical thing everyone does. Except the mighty Federer who ofcourse does not feel pain.

amolbhatia50k

No one is harping about the time out. Just saying that Nadal shouldn't be the only one accused by others of "cheating". It's a tactical thing everyone does. Except the mighty Federer who ofcourse does not feel pain.
Yet your still harping about it in your very next post.

Besides how do you know he wasn't facing some back problems. Maybe he did need those painkillers to play at his normal level. Who cares?

Federer's a superhuman. These tactics are beneath him.*

*he probably does it too

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Worlds best! Epic match was epic!! Deserved!!
say what you mean ffs! ;)

haven't watched a whole lot of tennis the last few years but that was some good play. not sure it was THE best game ever as I think the commentators were on the verge of saying but it was pretty damn good stuff.
congrats to Novak. fantastic year for him.

fair play too to Rafa for remembering to thank everyone and acknowledge the whole 9-11 business.

Sam

Well I did predict this shit some 3 years ago...;)

Djorkovic is a special player.

Future World Number 1 imo.
In all seriousness though, the level he's reached is unbelivable. If he carries on like this he's surely gonna reach 10+ grand slams?

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Well I did predict this shit some 3 years ago...;)

In all seriousness though, the level he's reached is unbelivable. If he carries on like this he's surely gonna reach 10+ grand slams?
10 more majors maybe, not so sure about 10 grand slams ;)

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
He'll win around 12 Majors imo.
12 more or in total?

I'm just looking at the ATP list, I really cannot figure who could possibly challenge him in the next couple of years at least. Federer is on the decline, Nadal needs to re-invent his game if he wants to beat him, Murray is too weak..

Neutral

BTV
Not really a fan of Djokovic, find him to be annoying and his antics particularly so, but that takes nothing away from the year he has had

Winning 64 out of 66 matches, current holder of 3 Grand Slams, coming back from an impossible position against Fed, and then completely dominating Nadal.

Grit, style and substance....perfect combination.

4 time GS winner at the age of 24, the next 2-3 seasons, he has a real chance to pile on some GS titles.

wr8_utd

Not really a fan of Djokovic, find him to be annoying and his antics particularly so, but that takes nothing away from the year he has had

Winning 64 out of 66 matches, current holder of 3 Grand Slams, coming back from an impossible position against Fed, and then completely dominating Nadal.

Grit, style and substance....perfect combination.

4 time GS winner at the age of 24, the next 2-3 seasons, he has a real chance to pile on some GS titles.
I really like Djokovic but I find him and his on court over excessive dances/celebrations extremely annoying as well. But he's a fantastic player and otherwise really hard to dislike.

And yes 2 Aussie Opens, 1 Wimbledon, 1 USO and 1 Davis Cup title at 24 is very impressive.

I think he'll win 8-10 more Slams tops in total which means he should end up at around 12-14 and I think Nadal will end up on around 14-16 maybe.

wr8_utd

Does that mean Federer is Nadal's bitch?
Federer and Nadal have mental issues against Nadal and Djokovic respectively.

Similarly Federer is the one capable of beating Djokovic on any surface atm, despite the defeat on Saturday.

Nadal winning the toss and choosing to serve yesterday was the most clear indication yet that Djokovic has gotten into his head. Nadal absolutely always chooses to receive when he wins the toss and yet he changed the habit of a lifetime yesterday.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Nadal has become Novak''s personal sex toy unfortunately.

This is in no way similar to Nadal's dominance over Federer... it's worse. More like how Roddick felt vs Federer.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Nadal has become Novak''s personal sex toy unfortunately.

This is in no way similar to Nadal's dominance over Federer... it's worse. More like how Roddick felt vs Federer.
Yeap.

I am waiting to see what Nadal does against him next year.

amolbhatia50k

I said this before but if they're rigging it (which it seems they obviously are) then Federer and Nadal should be facing each other in the semis. Djokovic shouldn't have to go through both.

wr8_utd

I said this before but if they're rigging it (which it seems they obviously are) then Federer and Nadal should be facing each other in the semis. Djokovic shouldn't have to go through both.
It's the "luck of the draw" which somehow always ends up with Djokovic vs Federer and long may it continue.

Nadal can't play Djokovic in the semi's anyway so it's always going to be Fed or Murray.

amolbhatia50k

It's the "luck of the draw" which somehow always ends up with Djokovic vs Federer and long may it continue.

Nadal can't play Djokovic in the semi's anyway so it's always going to be Fed or Murray.
On merit it should be Federer vs Nadal. There's seems to be an intention to keep Federer and Nadal on separate sides of the draw. You're saying 'long may it continue' because you're a Nadal fan but it's not really fair.

surf

Nadal and Djokovic take a lot out of themselves physically, more so than Federer. They are 24/25ish and probably just about past their physical peak as the cumulative wear and tear mounts up. They can't keep up this intensity for many more years without injuring themselves. And there will be younger players waiting to take advantage when their level drops. I don't think Djokovic will win 8 more majors, or that Nadal will win 16.

McEnroe said that Djokovic has put together the best year of tennis in history. Hats off to the Serb for that.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"The man has titanium balls of steel!" :lol:

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
:lol:

Btw, is Djokovic extremely patriotic?
Not extremely but he does care a lot. He's originally from Kosovo which adds a little bit to his patriotism considering all the shit Serbs went through in that province. But he's not nationalistic, thank goodness.