US Open

wr8_utd

:'(
Finally! 5th break pt converted on his 24th break point.

Just hold on now Rafa.

VP

That's that then. A fifth set would've been nice, but Djokovic looks done.

wr8_utd

Yesssssss. 4-1. Double break. Surely Rafa can't lose it from here.

I've gained immense respect for Nole though. I din't expect him to get out of his hard hard draw and to make it to the finals and play the way he's done is tremendous. Really hope he wins in Australia (if Nadal does not).

Come on Rafa. Just 2 service holds!

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Yeah. Choker-ich no more. Novak played incredible. Feel sorry for him. But Rafa is relentless.

wr8_utd

Pheew. 5-1 atlast. The tennis even at the end now is just immense. Best match of the tournament with regards to quality.

wr8_utd

Nadal had a look in there at 30-30 but blasted it.

To serve for the championship now :nervous:

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Novak definitely deserves to be no.2 in the world. Surely surely a slam winner again soon.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I know it's always nice to root for someone and against someone else but I do love the way I find it nearly impossible to hate the very best tennis players of today's era. These are fantastic players with not only amazing ability and skill but the utmost levels of class and dignity as well.

Congratulations to Rafa. Great effort Novak. This was a blast to watch.

CheadleBeagle

Even though I'm a huge Federer fan, I have to say Nadal deserved the win as he is the best in the world at the moment plus he does seem like a nice fellow. Congrats to Rafa and I hope Roger is back next year for some epic matches.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I know it's always nice to root for someone and against someone else but I do love the way I find it nearly impossible to hate the very best tennis players of today's era. These are fantastic players with not only amazing ability and skill but the utmost levels of class and dignity as well.
Yes there are some great players who are great people. Rafa, Fed, Novak, Del Potro so many more.

wr8_utd

This was completely worth not sleeping all night for :D
What a day. Now no matter what he does in his career he's one of the all time greats. What a year.

Written off by absolutely everyone after the Championships in London last year. What a way to return!

Career Golden Slam complete :D :D :D

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Since 2005 only 3 guys have won a GS tournament other than Federer or Nadal.

2005 Aussie Open - Safin
2008 Aussie Open - Djokovic
2010 US Open - Del Potro

Federer and Nadal have won 21/24 with 12 to Fed and 9 to Nadal. Incredible dominance. :eek:

vuc

First Team Serb
Nadals a legend. Massive props to him for doing this, he is simply the best right now.

So proud of Djokovic, he is now back on track after a dodgy 2 years practically. This was anything but a walkover for Nadal, and there was some really impressive tennis by Djokovic in some parts.

His serve failed him big time in the last set, but I think he was spent at that time. No doubt that he can take Nadal though, he just has to pressure him as he was doing in large parts of this match.

I hope that Djokovic has won back some fans with this performance, there were some unbelievable gets from him in this match, which is the sign of a fighter and not a quitter as he is so often called.

Brophs

The One and Only
I missed this match due to various circumstances.

Gutted not to have seen it. By all accounts it was a good match and Djokovic gave a good account of himself.

Fantastic achievement for Rafa though. He's a special player and he deserves every bit of success he has. Now that he's broken his duck in the US the stage is set for him to go on and dominate the way Federer did at his peak. It would be amazing to see him catch Federer or even overtake him. Two players like that don't come along very often. It's a privilege to be have them at the top of the game, albeit Federer is on the way down, however slowly the decline might be.

wr8_utd

I missed this match due to various circumstances.

Gutted not to have seen it. By all accounts it was a good match and Djokovic gave a good account of himself.

Fantastic achievement for Rafa though. He's a special player and he deserves every bit of success he has. Now that he's broken his duck in the US the stage is set for him to go on and dominate the way Federer did at his peak. It would be amazing to see him catch Federer or even overtake him. Two players like that don't come along very often. It's a privilege to be have them at the top of the game, albeit Federer is on the way down, however slowly the decline might be.
Would be great but unlikely. I can see him winning another 2 French Opens atleast and 1 or 2 Wimbledon and atleast one Hard Court Slam somewhere. He should end up around the 14 mark..
Nadals a legend. Massive props to him for doing this, he is simply the best right now.

So proud of Djokovic, he is now back on track after a dodgy 2 years practically. This was anything but a walkover for Nadal, and there was some really impressive tennis by Djokovic in some parts.

His serve failed him big time in the last set, but I think he was spent at that time. No doubt that he can take Nadal though, he just has to pressure him as he was doing in large parts of this match.

I hope that Djokovic has won back some fans with this performance, there were some unbelievable gets from him in this match, which is the sign of a fighter and not a quitter as he is so often called.
Yup he really played very well today. Some of his shot making was out of this world. He's got one of the biggest forehands. He was really hurting Nadal with them and the backhands down the line at many points of the match.

I hope he can win some Slam soon. He deserves it. He got through a really hard draw and was great in the final as well.

As for taking on Nadal, I don't think he can beat him on either Clay or Grass and on Hard Courts their more or less well matched.

wr8_utd

Djoko just needs to improve his serve a bit. Nadal had far too many break points on his serve today.

And yes his fitness. He needs to be able to play 5 setters, twice in 3 days if needed as well.