US Open

wr8_utd

:'(
Oh and the only thing left for Nadal to win now is the end of year Tour Finals in london. He's never won the tournament (in London or Shanghai).

The indoor courts there are realy really fast. But that's all he's got left to win. USO, Aussie Open, French Open, Wimbledon, Davis Cup and Olympics all done.

Brophs

The One and Only
Would be great but unlikely. I can see him winning another 2 French Opens atleast and 1 or 2 Wimbledon and atleast one Hard Court Slam somewhere. He should end up around the 14 mark..
It depends on how bad his knees are really. I think he can win a couple more hard court slams at least. If he's even 70% fit then I can see three more French Opens and I'd fully expect him to win at least one more Wimbledon.

His main issue might be Federer, oddly enough. Though Nadal quite clearly has the Indian sign over him, with Federer as number two seed he clears the decks for Nadal, as he can beat pretty much anyone else when he's on. But if Federer slides then Nadal may end up playing players who have gotten much more late-stages grand slam experience and who may grow to cause him more problems.

Plus the fact that Federer probably still has a couple of slams in him, unless Rafa really dominates and other players make a very quick step up. For example, after the way Del Potro played last year in the US people seemed to think it was a certainty that he'd be the hard court player but I'm not convinced yet. I think if he a player who was on form and who could neutalise his power then he still lacks the guile of either a Nadal or Federer.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
It depends on how bad his knees are really. I think he can win a couple more hard court slams at least. If he's even 70% fit then I can see three more French Opens and I'd fully expect him to win at least one more Wimbledon.

His main issue might be Federer, oddly enough. Though Nadal quite clearly has the Indian sign over him, with Federer as number two seed he clears the decks for Nadal, as he can beat pretty much anyone else when he's on. But if Federer slides then Nadal may end up playing players who have gotten much more late-stages grand slam experience and who may grow to cause him more problems.

Plus the fact that Federer probably still has a couple of slams in him, unless Rafa really dominates and other players make a very quick step up. For example, after the way Del Potro played last year in the US people seemed to think it was a certainty that he'd be the hard court player but I'm not convinced yet. I think if he a player who was on form and who could neutalise his power then he still lacks the guile of either a Nadal or Federer.
Well for me I think Federer is going to take stock.

He's done it all and he's had a family and the motivation would be understandably dropping after those things.

BUT saying that he's still in peak condition and young but maybe mentally lost his edge.

I think he'll go away now and really work out what he has to do to get back against Nadal and I can see him doing it, once the fire is burning in his belly

Be great for the game if he does - fingers crossed

Seveneric

Watching the match again, and I have to say, amazing clutch performance on break points from Djokovic. It's not like Nadal was making errors on most of them, Djokovic just kept on coming up with clean winners and hitting through Nadal. Wasn't enough though:lol:

As for Federer, I'll wait till Melbourne before passing judgement on him. If he doesn't do well there(finals at least), then I'd say he's almost done unless he gets an easy draw in a slam and things really align in his favor.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
I said hed win it in 4 ;)

The guys different class, never seen anything like him before, 9 grand slams by the age of 24, a career grand slam (something only half a dozen players in the history of tennis had ever done before) and 3 majors in a calender year back to back majors at that, hes already one of the greatest players ever to play the game, by the time hes finished im confident he'll go down as the all time best ever, the point was made on commentary last night, Nadals not only a monster on all surfaces and a multiple grand slam winner but unlike Federer he has a winning record over the best rival player of his era, a dominant record, which sets him above the swiss whos been owned time after time by Nadal even at his peak, a fact which has to count against all the 'Federer greatest ever' claims when hes been so utterly second best to a rival in his own era never mind others how can he be the best ever?

wr8_utd

For example, after the way Del Potro played last year in the US people seemed to think it was a certainty that he'd be the hard court player but I'm not convinced yet. I think if he a player who was on form and who could neutalise his power then he still lacks the guile of either a Nadal or Federer.
I'm not sure Rafa would beat Del Po. The Rafa in current form maybe but Del Po is and always has been all about the hard courts. He's been winning loads of slightly smaller hard court tournaments long before his USO win last year. He really seems to be genuinely talented. Depends on how he returns from injury though now.
I said hed win it in 4 ;)

The guys different class, never seen anything like him before, 9 grand slams by the age of 24, a career grand slam (something only half a dozen players in the history of tennis had ever done before) and 3 majors in a calender year back to back majors at that, hes already one of the greatest players ever to play the game, by the time hes finished im confident he'll go down as the all time best ever, the point was made on commentary last night, Nadals not only a monster on all surfaces and a multiple grand slam winner but unlike Federer he has a winning record over the best rival player of his era, a dominant record, which sets him above the swiss whos been owned time after time by Nadal even at his peak, a fact which has to count against all the 'Federer greatest ever' claims when hes been so utterly second best to a rival in his own era never mind others how can he be the best ever?
Career Golden Slam ;)

But yeah he will go down as one of the greatest. But I yet maintain neither Fed nor Nadal should go down as the "greatest ever" because well imo atleast the current mens field is not as strong as some of the fields down the years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Still awhile before I consider him one of the greatest. He's alongside the likes of Agassi now, who was a great, but not one of the greatest.

However, with Federer losing his game completely, I can see Nadal totally dominating the field. As for Federer, it's just such a pity that one of the two greatest sportsman I've seen in my lifetime is well past his best. The other is supposed to be past his best but keeps going on and on Giggs-style :D.

But really, what I'd give to have one year of the old Federer. The joy of watching him at his best will for me never be rivaled for a long time. Cut out the errors Fed, and stop trying to conform to the way tennis is played these days (sit back and try and hit it hard).

Seveneric

But really, what I'd give to have one year of the old Federer. The joy of watching him at his best will for me never be rivaled for a long time. Cut out the errors Fed, and stop trying to conform to the way tennis is played these days (sit back and try and hit it hard).
Not gonna happen, besides the fact that he's almost 30 now and they're just some thing his body won't let him do, how can he play attacking tennis with a mix of serve and volley when he's constantly being pinned back to the baseline by some 6ft hard hitter with technologically advanced strings on his racquet hitting 120mph forehands. The game has moved on and guys like Del Potro, Soderling, Berdych et al is what the future holds.

wr8_utd

NADAL v FEDERER AT SAME AGE
Matches won - lost (Nadal): 460 - 98
Matches won - lost (Federer): 390 - 119
Winning %: 82.4 - 76.6
Titles: 42 - 33
Grand Slams: 9 - 6
Slams played: 26 - 27
Davis Cup titles: 3 - 0
Olympic golds: 1 - 0
Longest winning streak: 32-34

wr8_utd

The Year End Championships should be interesting. While it's not really too important a tournament it'll be interesting to see if Nadal performs better this time or if Fed can continue his dominance there. The super quick indoor courts will help Fed. Should be fun.

wr8_utd

Nadal's serving speed increased from 107mph to 119 this year :eek:

It WAS much more potent a weapon this time.

CheadleBeagle

The Year End Championships are huge and are sometimes called the 5th Grand Slam. I expect Roger and Rafa to both be keen to win it so it should be a great tournament if they are both fit. Also a chance for someone else to step up like Davydenko did last year.

CheadleBeagle

Not gonna happen, besides the fact that he's almost 30 now and they're just some thing his body won't let him do, how can he play attacking tennis with a mix of serve and volley when he's constantly being pinned back to the baseline by some 6ft hard hitter with technologically advanced strings on his racquet hitting 120mph forehands. The game has moved on and guys like Del Potro, Soderling, Berdych et al is what the future holds.
It will be a shame if total power and brute force takes over and there is no more artistry and finesse. Roger is one of the few who can still do that. I think if he can get his consistency back he can still win another Slam. I'm afraid seeing guys hitting huge shots and pummelling each other is of little interest to the fans. Bring back the all round game.