US Politics

Drifter

American
Despite ‘relentless’ assault by corporate America, Gallup Poll shows support for unions at near 50-year high#

“The labor movement has a powerful wind at its back. And we will carry this momentum into new organizing campaigns and our work in the 2020 elections.”

Just ahead of the 125th anniversary of the creation of Labor Day as a national holiday, a Gallup poll published Wednesday showed support for unions among the American public is at a near 50-year high despite the best efforts of corporations and right-wing politicians.

The Gallup survey found that 64 percent of Americans approve of unions, up 16 percent from 2009.

“The current 64 percent reading is one of the highest union approval ratings Gallup has recorded over the past 50 years,” the polling organization noted, “topped only in March 1999 (66 percent), August 1999 (65 percent), and August 2003 (65 percent) surveys.”

Lee Saunders, president of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)—the largest union of public employees in the U.S.—said the poll shows that, in the realm of public sentiment, the labor movement has weathered “relentless anti-union attacks from wealthy corporations.”

“More and more people recognize that unions are a force for progress and national strength, improving the lives of all working families, and their communities,” said Saunders. “The labor movement has a powerful wind at its back. And we will carry this momentum into new organizing campaigns and our work in the 2020 elections.”

The survey comes after 2018 saw a record-breaking number of work stoppages as teachers, healthcare workers, and others walked off the job to protest poor benefits and low wages.

“The number of U.S. workers involved in a strike in 2018 was the highest since 1986,” Timereported in February.

The wave of collective action continued in 2019 as teachers across the nation—from Denver to Sacramento to West Virginia—struck to resist school privatization efforts and paltry salaries.

Gallup’s survey also comes as 2020 Democratic presidential candidates are battling for union support as the primary process continues to intensify.

As Common Dreams reported last week, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) unveiled a comprehensive plan to bolster workers’ rights and double union membership. Days after Sanders released his proposal, the 35,000-member United Electrical, Radio, and Machine Workers of America (UE) became the first national union to endorse the Vermont senator.

AFSCME said in a statement Wednesday that, with support for organized labor rising, “it’s more important than ever that our elected representatives give people more freedom to join unions.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/de...hows-support-for-unions-at-near-50-year-high/

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
How on earth does any legal system justify life without parole for stealing $50 and yet let’s rich criminals who steal millions of dollars walk free? That’s not a “justice” system.
Because judges are elected. If you're soft on crime then you don't get elected. Simple really. Same with Sheriffs.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
@berbatrick - broke through the paywall to the article, copied below.

After the El Paso shooting, Ben Shapiro — a popular conservative podcaster — asked Americans to draw a line between the few conservatives who are white supremacists and those who, like him, aren’t. Almost all Americans are “on the same side,” he said, and “we should be mourning together.” In his telling, we aren’t, for “one simple reason: Too many on the political left [are] castigating the character of those who disagree,” lumping conservatives and political nonconformists together with racists and xenophobes.

I grew up in a conservative family. The people I talk to most frequently, the people I call when I need help, are conservative. I’m not inclined to paint conservatives as thoughtless bigots. But a few years ago, listening to the voices and arguments of commentators like Shapiro, I began to feel a very specific deja vu I couldn’t initially identify. It felt as if the arguments I was reading were eerily familiar. I found myself Googling lines from articles, especially when I read the rhetoric of a group of people we could call the “reasonable right.”

These are figures who typically dislike President Trump but often say they’re being pushed rightward — sometimes away from what they claim is their natural leftward bent — by intolerance and extremism on the left. The reasonable right includes people like Shapiro and the radio commentator Dave Rubin; legal scholar Amy Wax and Jordan Peterson, the Canadian academic who warns about identity politics; the social psychologist Jonathan Haidt; the New York Times columnist Bari Weiss and the American Enterprise Institute scholar Christina Hoff Sommers, self-described feminists who decry excesses in the feminist movement; the novelist Bret Easton Ellis and the podcaster Sam Harris, who believe that important subjects have needlessly been excluded from political discussions. They present their concerns as, principally, freedom of speech and diversity of thought. Weiss has called them “renegade” ideological explorers who venture into “dangerous” territory despite the “outrage and derision” directed their way by haughty social gatekeepers.

So it felt frustrating: When I read Weiss, when I listened to Shapiro, when I watched Peterson or read the supposedly heterodox online magazine Quillette, what was I reminded of?

My childhood home is just a half-hour drive from the Manassas battlefield in Virginia, and I grew up intensely fascinated by the Civil War. I loved perusing soldiers’ diaries. During my senior year in college, I studied almost nothing but Abraham Lincoln’s speeches. While I wrote my thesis on a key Lincoln address, Civil War rhetoric was almost all I read: not just that of the 16th president but also that of his adversaries.

Thinking back on those debates, I finally figured it out. The reasonable right’s rhetoric is exactly the same as the antebellum rhetoric I’d read so much of. The same exact words. The same exact arguments. Rhetoric, to be precise, in support of the slave-owning South.

If that sounds absurd — Shapiro and his compatriots aren’t defending slavery, after all — it may be because many Americans are unfamiliar with the South’s actual rhetoric. When I was a kid in public school, I learned the arguments of Sen. John C. Calhoun (D-S.C.), who called slavery a “positive good,” and Alexander Stephens, the Confederacy’s vice president, who declared that the South’s ideological “cornerstone” rested “upon the great truth that the Negro is not equal to the white man.”

But such clear statements were not the norm. Proslavery rhetoricians talked little of slavery itself. Instead, they anointed themselves the defenders of “reason,” free speech and “civility.” The prevalent line of argument in the antebellum South rested on the supposition that Southerners were simultaneously the keepers of an ancient faith and renegades — made martyrs by their dedication to facts, reason and civil discourse.

It might sound strange that America’s proslavery faction styled itself the guardian of freedom and minority rights. And yet it did. In a deep study of antebellum Southern rhetoric, Patricia Roberts-Miller, a professor of rhetoric at the University of Texas at Austin, characterizes the story that proslavery writers “wanted to tell” between the 1830s and 1860s as not one of “demanding more power, but of David resisting Goliath.”

[Why do people believe myths about the Confederacy? Because our textbooks and monuments are wrong.]

They stressed the importance of logic, “facts,” “truth,” “science” and “nature” much more than Northern rhetoricians did. They chided their adversaries for being romantic idealists, ignoring the “experience of centuries.” Josiah Nott, a surgeon who laid out the purported science behind black inferiority, held that questions like slavery “should be left open to fair and honest investigation, and made to stand or fall according to the facts.” They claimed that they were the ones who truly had black people’s best interests at heart, thanks to their more realistic understanding of human biology. “No one would be willing to do more for the Negro race than I,” John Wilkes Booth wrote shortly before he assassinated Lincoln. He alleged that any pragmatist could see that freeing black people into a cold, cruel world would actually cause their “annihilation.” Slavery, another Southern thinker argued, was natural, because if whites could work the sweltering South Carolina rice fields, they would. The “constitutions” of black men, on the other hand, were “perfectly adapted.”

They loved hyperbole. Events were “the most extraordinary spectacles” that had “ever challenged the notice of the civilized world,” “too alarming” and threatened “to destroy all that is valuable and beautiful in the institutions of our country.” All over, they saw slippery slopes: Objecting to the extension of slavery into new territories, Lincoln’s longtime position, would lead inexorably to miscegenation.

The most important thing to know about them, they held, was that they were not the oppressors. They were the oppressed. They were driven to feelings of isolation and shame purely on the basis of freely held ideas, the right of every thinking man. Rep. Alexander Sims (D-S.C.) claimed that America’s real problem was the way Southerners were made to suffer under “the sneers and fanatic ebullitions of ignorant and wicked pretenders to philanthropy.” Booth’s complaint, before he shot Lincoln, wasn’t that he could no longer practice slavery, something he’d never done anyway. Instead, he lamented that he no longer felt comfortable expressing “my thoughts or sentiments” on slavery freely in good company.

Let’s call this particular logic “antebellum reasoning.” Its appeal was that it identified pro-South rhetoricians as the upholders of America’s true heritage: They were, in their own reckoning, dedicated to truth — and persecuted by tyrants. Just as the early Americans found a sense of pride and worth in England’s inability to endure their dissent, so antebellum Southerners located their virtue in the passions set against them.

All of this is there in the reasonable right: The claim that they are the little people struggling against prevailing winds. The argument that they’re the ones championing reason and common sense. The allegation that their interlocutors aren’t so much wrong as excessive; they’re just trying to think freely and are being tormented. The reliance on hyperbole and slippery slopes to warn about their adversaries’ intentions and power. The depiction of their opponents as an “orthodoxy,” an epithet the antebellum South loved.

In Dave Rubin, who says that “if you have any spark of individualism in you, if you have anything about you that’s interesting or different, they” — the left — “will come to destroy that,” I hear the pro-Southern newspaper editor Duff Green: Abolitionists’ intent is “to drive the white man from the South.”

In Bari Weiss — who asserts that “the boundaries of public discourse have become so proscribed as to make impossible frank discussions of anything remotely controversial” and that “perfectly reasonable intellectuals [are] being regularly mislabeled … with every career-ending epithet” — I hear Josiah Nott: “Scientific men who have been bold enough to speak truth … have been persecuted.”

In Ben Shapiro — who ascribes right-wing anger to unwise left-wing provocation (“How do you think people are going to react?”) — I hear a letter printed in the Charleston Mercury, which warned that “if the mad career of the hot headed abolitionists should lead to acts of violence on the part of those whom they so vindictively assail, who shall be accountable? … Not the South.”

In Bret Easton Ellis — who complains that the left is “always” unreasonably “angry” about things, serves him “constant reminder of my failings,” and expects total “silence and submission” — I hear the proslavery U.S. Telegraph, which warned that abolitionists plotted a “disruption of that fraternity of feeling” in America.

[Five myths about Reconstruction]

Is there truth to these complaints, such as the one from Amy Wax that America’s cultural cohesion “gets no attention, no discussion,” as she recently complained to The New Yorker? Are the boundaries of public discourse in America really so “proscribed” that no opinion outside of left-wing orthodoxy can be spoken?

Of course not. Over the past 10 years, Fox News has outstripped CNN as America’s most-watched cable news network. On the day special counsel Robert S. Mueller III released his report on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, Fox News’s online articles racked up more reactions and shares on Facebook than all the stories by CBS, ABC and NPR combined. Conservatives control the presidency, the Senate and the Supreme Court.

Is it true that it’s “career-ending” to be of the reasonable right? Shapiro’s recent “The Right Side of History” was a New York Times No. 1 bestseller. Rubin’s YouTube channel has more than 1 million subscribers, and last year, he was the subject of an admiring 4,000-word profile in Playboy. Peterson bragged that scalpers were charging more for a sold-out appearance of his than for tickets to a Toronto Maple Leafs playoff game.

A conservative I’m close to routinely emails me political commentaries of her own. She’s delighted when I post them on my Facebook page for discussion. But she insists that I conceal her name. When I ask why, she points to herself and says, “Marrano” — the word for the Jewish minority who were viciously persecuted under King Ferdinand II of Spain.

“But a Republican is the king!” I say, baffled.

She doesn’t want to hear it. She’ll just point to herself again and repeat, “Marrano.” It’s an identity that’s important to her.

Lincoln didn’t train his political fire on the most vicious proslavery advocates. Instead, he focused it on people like Sen. Stephen Douglas (D) of Illinois, who insisted that he didn’t support slavery per se. Instead, he claimed he was duty-bound to defend the South’s rights on the basis of certain fundamental American principles, including the right to freely choose how you live.

Lincoln understood that antebellum reasoning was more dangerous than straightforward defenses of chattel slavery. He feared that by claiming to stand for freedom, reason and civility, and by framing themselves as beleaguered victims, pro-Southern thinkers could draft new warriors who thought they were fighting for something fundamentally American, even if they were wary of slavery itself.

[How people convince themselves that the Confederate flag represents freedom, not slavery]

And that’s what happened. One reason slavery was not abolished in America through the political process, as it was in Britain, is that abolitionists were rhetorically straitjacketed by the proposition that they were the hard-liners who sought to curtail freedom. When the Charleston Mercury wrote that it was the “duty” of Northerners to “prove” that they were willing to defend Southerners against “fanatics,” Northern newspapers reprinted the editorial. Northerners, not Southerners, had to watch what they said and strain to compromise so they didn’t confirm the dictatorial notion Southern rhetoricians had implanted in the public mind.

In their 1858 debates, Lincoln pressed Douglas to clarify what kind of America he really wanted: one that had slaves or one that didn’t? Douglas claimed only to stand against mob rule. But why, Lincoln asked, was he choosing to die on the South’s hill? Why would applying his principle — the mandate to protect the South from “interference” by extremist hordes — end up curtailing freedom for millions of black Americans? Was it possible, Lincoln suggested, that Douglas secretly preferred a slave society to a free one?

These are the kinds of questions we should be asking of the reasonable right. I know what they say they worry about, but I don’t know what they want. A recent Vanity Fair profile of Weiss begins with everything she’s been accused of being: “Alt-righter.” “Fascist.” The “provocateur the left loves to hate.” There’s no evidence that Weiss is widely hated, except by a subsection of Twitter. She’s a New York Times opinion writer; she appears regularly on Bill Maher’s HBO talk show. But if she’s not defined by being hated, then what is she?

Many reasonable-right figures find themselves defending the liberties of people to the right of them. Not because they agree with these people, they say, but on principle. Sam Harris, a popular podcast host, has released three lengthy shows about Charles Murray, a political scientist who is often booed at campus speeches and whose 2017 talk at Middlebury College ended when students injured his host. Murray argues that white people test higher than black people on “every known test of cognitive ability” and that these “differences in capacity” predict white people’s predominance. Harris repeatedly insists he has no vested interest in Murray’s ideas. His only interest in Murray, he claims, rests in his dedication to discussing science and airing controversial views.

But Harris’s claim is implausible. Hundreds of scientists produce controversial work in the fields of race, demographics and inequality. Only one, though, is the social scientist nationally notorious for suggesting that white people are innately smarter than people of color. That Harris chooses to invite this one on his show suggests that he is not merely motivated by freedom of speech. It suggests that he is interested in what Murray has to say.

It’s hard to avoid the conclusion that some contemporary commentators use antebellum reasoning cynically. Hard-right American commentators like David Horowitz have noted the tactical advantages of sounding “outraged” and “morally certain,” and of stressing their status as renegade thinkers to argue for right-wing policies such as much more restrictive immigration laws or institutionalized prejudice against Muslims. Others, I suspect, seek the reassurance of antebellum reasoning to help reconcile their ambivalent feelings about cultural and demographic changes. Still others may simply be disillusioned with contemporary politics, intuit that important conversations are somehow not being had, and long for a discourse anchored on simple, easily shared principles. That’s why the South came up with it in the first place. It conscripted allies who had no taste for distasteful things into what was cast as a much wider fight.

I sympathize with that yearning. I myself was deeply moved by antebellum reasoning as a child. I preferred reading letters written by Confederate soldiers. They talked about bedrock American faiths, which was alluring in a complex world where policy is boring and compromise-laden. Southerners understood that — and used it well. Their depiction of our ideals is still the one, subconsciously, for which Americans reach when we feel blown off course.

But today I see what Lincoln feared. Nearly daily, I read some new figure appealing to antebellum reasoning. Joining the reasonable right seems to render these figures desirable contributors to center-left media outlets. That’s because, psychologically, the claim to victimhood can function as a veiled threat. It tricks the listener into entering a world where the speaker is the needy one, fragile, requiring the listener to constantly adjust his behavior to cater to the imperiled person.

[Five myths about why the South seceded]

With this threat, the reasonable right has recruited the left into serving its purpose. Media outlets and college campuses now go to extraordinary lengths to prove their “balance” and tolerance, bending over backward to give platforms to right-wing writers and speakers who already have huge exposure.

In the human body, viruses use the shells of immune cells to trick other cells into letting them in. Principles like freedom and equality have functioned, through time, as the American immune system, warding off sickness. But they can also be co-opted. As they were more than 150 years ago, ideas like freedom of speech, diversity and respect are now being used to turn opponents of conservatism into helpless hosts, transmitting its ideas.

If you hear somebody lament, as Bret Stephens does, that political “opinions that were considered reasonable and normal” not too long ago now must be “delivered in whispers,” it might be antebellum reasoning. If somebody says — as Harris has — that our politics are at risk of ignoring common sense, logic or the realities of human biology, it might be antebellum reasoning. If somebody such as Nicholas Kristof says they don’t like noxious thinkers but urges us to give them platforms for the sake of “protecting dissonant and unwelcome voices,” it might be antebellum reasoning. The truth is that we have more avenues now for free expression in America than we’ve ever had.

If somebody says liberals have become illiberal, you should consider whether it’s true. But you should also know that this assertion has a long history and that George Wallace and Barry Goldwater used it in their eras to powerful effect. People who make this claim aren’t “renegades.” They’re heirs to an extremely specific tradition in American political rhetoric, one that has become a dangerous inheritance.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
So this was a fun little exchange on AOC's Twitter

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Saw on the news that Sarah Palin is getting divorced. Model family that lot. Remember the good old days when it was only scary that she would become POTUS.

Drifter

American
Huge Blow To US Farmers: China Heads To Argentina For Soy Meal In Landmark Deal

Last month Chinese officials examined several Argentine soy meal companies ahead of the signing ceremony on Wednesday.

Argentina's Agriculture Ministry said in a statement on Tuesday that after two decades of discussions, the Asian giant will begin imports of soy meal in the near term.

The deciding factor for the landmark deal was the US-China trade war, which strengthened Argentina's hand after China halted all US agriculture product imports this summer, prompting China to source more agriculture products from South America.

"This is a historic agreement," Gustavo Idigoras, president of Argentina's CIARA-CEC chamber of grains exporting companies told Reuters, though he added the deal still required a two-step process of plant authorizations and then registrations that could take several more months.

Idigoras said, "shipments aren't expected to start immediately," but could start in the near term. China still has some bureaucratic bottlenecks before cargoes can set sail, he added.

In a separate report last month, China is preparing a bid that would allow it to dredge Argentina's Parana River, the country's only river that acts as a waterway for bulk vessels that transport soybean and corn from the Pampas farm belt to the South Atlantic.

An increased waterway would allow China to create a grain superhighway

in Argentina that would effectively be able to replace US farmers.

Argentina, already the top exporter of processed soy, is expected to export 26 million tons of soy meal this year worldwide, and 8.5 million tons of raw beans.

It is excellent and timely news. Argentina needs to add more value to its exports to China and the world," said Luis Zubizarreta, president of Argentina's ACSOJA soy industry organization that represents farmers.

Allowing China to buy from Argentine farmers would tremendously boost exports next year. China has come at the right time, considering profit margins have been falling, and idle capacity has increased to more than 50%.

China has been busy in South America. They've been building massive infrastructure projects across Argentina, from hydroelectric plants to railways.

Business-friendly President Mauricio Macri has said the new partnership with China would boost the country's agricultural sector and create enormous opportunities for farmers.

While boom times are here for Argentine farmers, a bust cycle is imminent for US farmers who are on the brink of collapse after being shut out of China thanks to President Trump's trade policies.
MAGA.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

bravo :lol:
GOP are nothing if not brazen. It's asymmetrical politics: GOP lie, steal and cheat - their voters love it - the Dems dot an I incorrectly and are skewered by the right leaning (and often left leaning) press.

Trump et al invited the f'cking Taliban to Camp David the week of 9/11. If a dem had even thought about that they would no longer be in office.

It's very hard to battle against bad faith actors- which is the entire GOP and a large swathe of its voters. I don't know how democracy survives when voters would rather be lied to with something they want to hear than be told the truth. Maybe it doesn't.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
GOP are nothing if not brazen. It's asymmetrical politics: GOP lie, steal and cheat - their voters love it - the Dems dot an I incorrectly and are skewered by the right leaning (and often left leaning) press.

Trump et al invited the f'cking Taliban to Camp David the week of 9/11. If a dem had even thought about that they would no longer be in office.

It's very hard to battle against bad faith actors- which is the entire GOP and a large swathe of its voters. I don't know how democracy survives when voters would rather be lied to with something they want to hear than be told the truth. Maybe it doesn't.

Simbo

How are Democrats so shit at politics that they constantly find themselves with their trousers round their ankles. They've interacted with the GOP before right?
From what I gather, the dems have known full well that they could call a surprise vote at any time, and so for months they have made sure enough Dems were always in attendance on any day they were in session, going to such lengths as to ask people to re-arrange their cancer treatment, etc.

This Rep. speaker confirms there will be no votes on 9/11 memorial day so most dems go off attendeding other engagements. Republicans do turn up however and they call a vote.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
From what I gather, the dems have known full well that they could call a surprise vote at any time, and so for months they have made sure enough Dems were always in attendance on any day they were in session, going to such lengths as to ask people to re-arrange their cancer treatment, etc.

This Rep. speaker confirms there will be no votes on 9/11 memorial day so most dems go off attendeding other engagements. Republicans do turn up however and they call a vote.

Yeah, I guess it has to be exhausting when your opponent is consistently so corrupt and underhand but they should never, ever, ever provide them with any opportunity to use their ample deceit to rack up such a legislative victory. Hopefully this shameful episode will echo through the next election but the gerrymandering bastards are already a minority party with a majority of seats (48% of the vote, 60% of the seats) so it'll probably require a landslide to end up with a majority of one.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
There is no interpretation of this that isnt genuinely distressing. I dont believe that actually happened but for someone to think that's a good point to make. My god what kind of a society have we created. Just burn it all down.