US Politics

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I like John Oliver more, however it helps that he has only one episode per week.
I just like how raw Stewart is. There’s an element of smugness to Noah and Oliver, especially Noah, that puts their argument at risk of being in “told you so” territory which exacerbates the us vs them mentality.

With Stewart he doesn’t revel in pointing out the injustices he identifies, he’s absolutely exasperated by them and uses his comedy primarily to ridicule the problem rather than the person guilty of causing the problem.

I think that’s important because it’s easier to convince someone to understand why a problem is a problem rather than convince someone that someone on their team is the problem.

Fergies Gum

Bevin is struggling badly here. Not reaching the crucial benchmarks and Beshear is doing well in rural areas.

InfiniteBoredom

If Beshear wins (looking likely), Mitch McTurtle’s seat could be in play. As governor, he can restore voting rights to about 4% pop of the state.

Of course, it’s likely he wins by a country mile again, but worth paying attention to.

InfiniteBoredom

His approval number is lower than Bevin’s. Problem is of course presidential year and no one of similar high profile challenging him.

Drifter

American
McConnell is the most unpopular Senator of voters in his state. Hopefully Amy McGrath can put up a challenge.

Revan

Assumptionman
Does this worry McConell? If he is scared for his seat, could that mean that he decides it is time to remove Trump from office?

Actually screw that. I would much prefer him losing his seat. He has been the most harmful person in US politics for a decade now.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does this worry McConell? If he is scared for his seat, could that mean that he decides it is time to remove Trump from office?

Actually screw that. I would much prefer him losing his seat. He has been the most harmful person in US politics for a decade now.
I think he’s confident that the election infrastructure is weak enough to ensure that if it’s close, he will have a little nudge over the line.

InfiniteBoredom

The biggest thing is Trump’s approval in-state. Bevin’s was 34% and he ended up short 4000 votes at 49%. They hate McConnell but the turtle will make his election about protecting Trump if the Cheetoh hasn’t been impeached by then.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This more or less means that Doug Jones won't get re-elected. Was hoping for Ray Moore to be again Republican nominee.
Moore is running something like 3rd in the primary polls in any case. I believe Tommy Tuberville is first, which means it wont be too easy for Sessions to get his job back.

Amarsdd

NPR's Embedded podcast has a series on Mitch McConnell. Its really good for those interested in american politics. He is the politician who probably has had the biggest influence in US politics for the last 30 years for the worst. And I'm astounded how someone can have absolutely no morals.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Jesus fecking Christ. This guy is currently the 2nd most powerful person in the supposedly left wing party.
Jesus fecking christ, he actually said that about Peter King? I actually didn’t think the Dems could disappoint me any more after all these years of uselessness but this just shows there’s always a new low..

Revan

Assumptionman
Isn't Peter King the most bipartisan Republican right there? And being from New York, I guess that Chuck Schumers might have had a personal friendship with him. I don't see much wrong on what Schumers said.