US Politics

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
While we're all here - don't forget to vote for the RedCafe awards! The voting threads are here:

Part 1
Part 2

The voting template is at the start of each thread - but you don't need to vote in every category. If you don't want to spend much time on this, just vote for the ones you can think of right away and leave it at that. We'd basically just to love to get more votes and get results that are a bit more representative of the entire forum.

Thanks!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
While we're all here - don't forget to vote for the RedCafe awards! The voting threads are here:

Part 1
Part 2

The voting template is at the start of each thread - but you don't need to vote in every category. If you don't want to spend much time on this, just vote for the ones you can think of right away and leave it at that. We'd basically just to love to get more votes and get results that are a bit more representative of the entire forum.

Thanks!
Reported for being off topic.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Pelosi Defends Members of Congress Trading Stocks: It’s a ‘Free Market’

https://www.mediaite.com/news/pelosi-defends-members-of-congress-trading-stocks-its-a-free-market/
This is one of those things that drive me crazy. My sister is an attorney who sees privileged info that could be used to insider trade. As a result she, and her husband, are barred from trading individual stocks and her computer is keylogged in case there is an SEC audit. Meanwhile, congress people can not only act on info they see in private hearings, they can also dictate policy that can/does wildly swing the market. Insane stuff that no private citizen could ever legally do.

Suedesi

Pelosi's husband, investor Paul Pelosi, frequently trades significant numbers of stocks. With her husband's assets considered, Pelosi ranks among the wealthiest members of Congress, an Insider analysis found.

Insider has identified numerous examples of federal lawmakers trading stocks in industries they oversee as part of their congressional committee assignments, including within the defense, healthcare, and energy industries.

This fecking old cnut - I heard she's moving to Florida when her current term expires - leaving the dystopian city she helped ruin for the tax free haven of Ron De Santis (and DJT).

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Pelosi needs to retire. That's an awful stance to take, at a time when the Dems just keep punching themselves in the face.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@crappycraperson
You asked about abortions and midterms... I read a few polls, all were quite grim for Democrats and Biden, and then the abortion polls are themselves close to 50-50. Doesn't seem like there's much room to gain even if the SC makes it illegal in red states. Finally yesterday Yougov's head had a twitter thread about youth approval for Biden falling a full 50 points. For once if seemed that going back on every single vaguely leftist promise might actually be costly.

At the same time, there's this chart:

And right on cue, today,

The Firestarter

@crappycraperson
You asked about abortions and midterms... I read a few polls, all were quite grim for Democrats and Biden, and then the abortion polls are themselves close to 50-50. Doesn't seem like there's much room to gain even if the SC makes it illegal in red states. Finally yesterday Yougov's head had a twitter thread about youth approval for Biden falling a full 50 points. For once if seemed that going back on every single vaguely leftist promise might actually be costly.

And right on cue, today,

I dont know if the data was massaged a little bit, but that's some sweet correlation. aMEMEca

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Pelosi's husband, investor Paul Pelosi, frequently trades significant numbers of stocks. With her husband's assets considered, Pelosi ranks among the wealthiest members of Congress, an Insider analysis found.

Insider has identified numerous examples of federal lawmakers trading stocks in industries they oversee as part of their congressional committee assignments, including within the defense, healthcare, and energy industries.

This fecking old cnut - I heard she's moving to Florida when her current term expires - leaving the dystopian city she helped ruin for the tax free haven of Ron De Santis (and DJT).

MarylandMUFan

@crappycraperson

And right on cue, today,

While that's part of it, I think his low numbers are also do with the frustration of the progressive wing. Progressive Dems are really upset that not more is being done (even if it's unrealistic expectation) so I imagine the survey is picking up on that as well. Dems are never in lock step like the GOP is.

Winrar

While that's part of it, I think his low numbers are also do with the frustration of the progressive wing. Progressive Dems are really upset that not more is being done (even if it's unrealistic expectation) so I imagine the survey is picking up on that as well. Dems are never in lock step like the GOP is.
If you break down the approval ratings, he lost a lot of support from independents and the hispanic working class, so I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Honestly don't know if this admin can do anything other than maybe pass the voting rights bill, because things won't be pretty after GOP most likely takes the House after next year's elections. Senate I'm only tossup on just because GOP is currently fielding weak candidates in crucial races.

Democrats need to wake up and find new messaging other than complaining about protecting democracy if they don't want to be completely flatted in midterms like they did in VA and (almost) NJ.

Last edited: