US Politics

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Conservatives love to bitch about handouts, so I propose a new way of apportioning power:

The number of congressional votes a district gets is a proportional to the federal tax revenue that district pays. It's only fair, right you right wing, conservative, hypocritical Santorum drinkers?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Conservatives love to bitch about handouts, so I propose a new way of apportioning power:

The number of congressional votes a district gets is a proportional to the federal tax revenue that district pays. It's only fair, right you right wing, conservative, hypocritical Santorum drinkers?
They dont care about fair. They care about winning.

God can come down and be the judge it wont be fair if they're not winning

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's just another grifter, or a wannabe grifter. He thinks he can fundraise off a brainless challenge of some kind, which obviously isn't going to actually happen.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
https://www.essence.com/news/ron-desantis-election-police/
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Wants A New Police Force With The Power To Arrest Voters
“My number one concern is that this is going to be used as a tool to harass or intimidate civic engagement organizations," said voting rights lawyer Jonathan Diaz.

With all his talk about inflation and the costs of household items, Florida governor Ron DeSantis has no problem coming up with a new way to spend the government’s money.

Last week as legislators began a new session, DeSantis proposed an Office of Election Crimes and Security that would empower police to investigate elections and arrest people who are accused of violating election laws, The Washington Post reports.

In the same speech where DeSantis derided “Orwellian” tactics around voting rights during last week’s State of the State address, he announced this new law enforcement unit that would have the “sole focus” of enforcing election law. According to DeSantis, the unit “will provide Floridians with the confidence that their vote will count.”

Yet less than a year ago, DeSantis signed a bill to limit voting options, like the use of ballot drop boxes or allowing groups or individuals to gather absentee ballots on behalf of other voters, the Post notes.

Some experts and officials are concerned about DeSantis’ latest proposal.

“My number one concern is that this is going to be used as a tool to harass or intimidate civic engagement organizations and voters,” Diaz said.

Broward County Supervisor of Elections Joe Scott had similar sentiments. “It seems as if this is going to focus on a lot of grass-roots organizations that are out there trying to get people registered to vote, as well as people out there doing petition drives,” Scott shared with the Post. “I think this is going to lead to people being intimidated if they’re civically involved. I don’t want people to be scared away from doing those kinds of things.”

DeSantis’ new office will employ 45 investigators and have a $5.7 million budget, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

While millions of dollars being thrown at election “irregularities,” experts say the low incidence rate of the problem doesn’t justify the cost and the potential impact on voters.

“There’s a reason that there’s no office of this size with this kind of unlimited investigative authority in any other state in the country, and it’s because election crimes and voter fraud are just not a problem of that magnitude,” Jonathan Diaz, a voting rights lawyer, told the Post.

Winrar

Anyone here think Ossoff can come to significant prominence in the next 10 years?

All the frontrunner Dems are terrible right now, but Ossoff is a very good orator and can and have appealed to larger swath of voters.

Wouldn't be surprised if he puts in a bid for POTUS as early as 2028.

RedDevilQuebecois

Anyone here think Ossoff can come to significant prominence in the next 10 years?

All the frontrunner Dems are terrible right now, but Ossoff is a very good orator and can and have appealed to larger swath of voters.

I saw him talk in the last election for the US Senate seat, and I think he has that X-factor to go for more with time still on his side at age 34. What is interesting now is that a quality presidential candidate can basically be anybody instead of being either a veteran senator or a former/incumbent governor.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

100%

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Because of course. Question - are Manchin and Sinema basically right-center types under the guise of democrat in title only? Or, are their efforts strictly to continue to remain in power within their state? Both?

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/voting-rights-bill-senate-vote-01-19-22/
Senate Republicans block voting rights legislation

Senate Republicans blocked Democrats' attempt to pass a bill on voting rights legislation.

The legislation combined key provisions of two bills: the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act.

At least 10 Republicans needed to vote with Democrats to clear the 60-vote threshold to break a filibuster, which did not happen amid widespread Republican opposition.

Next lawmakers will vote to change filibuster rules, which is expected to fail.

RedDevilQuebecois

Manchin is a "Democrat" in a very red state, so that makes him a DINO (Democrat in name only) as the term says.

Sinema is the bigger mystery though because she used to be far more militant for causes shared by Democrats when she used to be a state representative. She basically sold her sould to the devil just to keep her seat at the Senate. Mother Jones wrote an article back in July/August about the change in her political stance, and that explains quite a lot about how and she has become this spineless.

From Radical Activist to Senate Obstructionist: The Metamorphosis of Kyrsten Sinema

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Both Georgia Senators have been incredibly impressive so far. If Biden runs in 2024, Raphael Warnock would probably be a much better running mate than Kamala Harris. I understand that change won't happen, but he's an amazing orator (as you'd expect of the minister of Dr. King's church). They have both done a great job of seeking enough attention without being like Sinema and Manchin where they want all of the attention. They've also been productive.

RedDevilQuebecois

Oh dear.:eek::mad:

"The concern is misplaced because if you look at the statistics, African-American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans." - Mitch McConnell.

Beyond the false statement on statistics since we talk about several places in the South that target African-Americans specifically, that piece of trash is not hiding his blatant racism by making a clear separation between African-Americans and "Americans". Does he remember that his wife 1) is not born in the United States and 2) is not ethnically matching his definition of an "American"? It's one of those instances when it was better for him to shut the hell up, but now we can definitely call him as George Wallace 2.0.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Both Georgia Senators have been incredibly impressive so far. If Biden runs in 2024, Raphael Warnock would probably be a much better running mate than Kamala Harris. I understand that change won't happen, but he's an amazing orator (as you'd expect of the minister of Dr. King's church). They have both done a great job of seeking enough attention without being like Sinema and Manchin where they want all of the attention. They've also been productive.
I'm not sure he will - and certainly not without somebody from the left challenging him for the nomination.

what will he be 82 at the time of the next election? - 86 at the end of that term?

Likely to take a pasting in the mid terms when you look at his approval ratings?

He called himself a transition candidate and I expect that is how it will play out

Who he will transition to and how cordial vs confrontational that debate will be I'm not sure but I don't necessarily expect a simple handing of the baton to Kamala

Last edited:

WPMUFC

Long, but good...

One participant told me he’d heard that Trump had wanted to humor Ginni Thomas because he was hoping to talk her husband into retiring, thus opening up another Court seat. Trump, given his manifold legal problems, also saw Justice Thomas as a potentially important ally—and genuinely liked him. But the participant told me that the President considered Ginni Thomas “a wacko,” adding, “She never would have been there if not for Clarence. She had access because her last name was Thomas.”
:lol:

Drifter

American
Kyrsten Sinema Censured by Arizona Democrats: ‘We Take No Pleasure In This’

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema has been censured by her fellow Arizona Democrats after she voted against modifying the filibuster, which ultimately played a decisive role in the defeat of the party’s voting legislation this week.

The Arizona Democratic Party (ADP) formally censured Sen. Sinema on Saturday after a closed-door meeting.

In a statement on behalf of the party, chair Raquel Terán said that while they “take no pleasure” in announcing it, the rebuke is a result of Sinema’s “failure to do whatever it takes to ensure the health of our democracy.”

The party has a public meeting later today, during which time they make take a no-confidence vote in Sinema. If that occurs, the party will likely put its support behind a primary challenger against Sen. Sinema in her 2024 reelection.

The full statement from the party on this censure vote:

“I want to be clear, the Arizona Democratic Party is a diverse coalition with plenty of room for policy disagreements, however on the matter of the filibuster and the urgency to protect voting rights, we have been crystal clear. In the choice between an archaic legislative norm and protecting Arizonans’ right to vote, we choose the latter, and we always will. On the heels of their sham ‘audit,’ Arizona Republicans are already trying to push restrictive legislation to eliminate our popular and long-standing vote-by-mail system, jail election workers, and put Cyber Ninjas in charge of our elections. But this is not just about Arizona. Last year, Republicans in 19 states passed 33 different laws that will make it harder for people to vote.
“As a party, our job is to support our Democratic candidates, and we appreciate Senator Sinema’s leadership in passing the American Rescue Plan and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. However, we are also here to advocate for our constituents and the ramifications of failing to pass federal legislation that protects their right to vote are too large and far-reaching. While we take no pleasure in this announcement, the ADP Executive Board has decided to formally censure Senator Sinema as a result of her failure to do whatever it takes to ensure the health of our democracy.”

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is great news. I’ve posted on here before about how insidiously racist Alabama’s map is, hope this holds up but not confident as SCOTUS is compromised.