US Politics

nimic

something nice
Scout
I listened to some of Biden's speech on the radio on my drive home from work, and he didn't sound as old as he usually does. It wasn't a bad speech, really, though I doubt it has any actual effect.

The Firestarter

I listened to some of Biden's speech on the radio on my drive home from work, and he didn't sound as old as he usually does. It wasn't a bad speech, really, though I doubt it has any actual effect.
At least from the bits I heard he did sound quite ancient. Was wondering if I continue listening, who will fall asleep faster - me or him.

SirAF

Ageist
It was a very good speech, it’s just a shame that the idiots that need to hear it are going to dismiss it by default.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
More madness from Wisconsin. Looks the WI GOP is just going to hold off confirming until they regain power.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Errrmmm, WHAT!?!?!?

How is this not major front page news!?!?!?!
Welcome to Wisconsin. We are the GOP's lab for testing out fun and fascistic policies. It's the only way a state could have voted for Biden and have Dems in every statewide position but still have a 66% state GOP legislature. When it comes to our legislature the whole thing is a joke and people are just tired of worrying about it. They have gerrymandered the state so thoroughly that there is literally no chance of ever flipping it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Welcome to Wisconsin. We are the GOP's lab for testing out fun and fascistic policies. It's the only way a state could have voted for Biden and have Dems in every statewide position but still have a 66% state GOP legislature. When it comes to our legislature the whole thing is a joke and people are just tired of worrying about it. They have gerrymandered the state so thoroughly that there is literally no chance of ever flipping it.
Is it that gerrymandered, no real hope of ever reversing it?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Is it that gerrymandered, no real hope of ever reversing it?
It's actually less about gerrymandering and more about population concentration. There are essentially 2.5 major urban centers (GB gets a half point) in WI that are overwhelmingly blue. All the GOP needs to do is shrug their shoulders and pack all those voters in as few districts as they can and job done.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just to highlight how bad things are here

If you look at the Voting Age population breakdown by the number of districts (Senate and Assembly) represented by Dems/Reps you can see that Republicans "Represent" > 60% MORE people than Dems.
Population Represented
SenateAssembly
Rep2,772,3502,695,006
Dem1,575,1441,652,488
Population Difference76%63%

Now look at the results of the last election cycles (2018 and 2020) for the major State wide races:

RepDemDifference
President (2020)
1,610,065​
1,630,673​
1.3%
Gov (2018)
1,295,080​
1,324,307​
2.3%
AG (2018)
1,288,712​
1,305,902​
1.3%
SOS (2018)
1,235,034​
1,380,752​
11.8%
Treasurer (2018)
1,216,811​
1,324,110​
8.8%
US Senate (2018)
1,184,885​
1,472,914​
24.3%

Tell me something is not broken.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Maddow ran a segment on five states submitting fraudulent state voting certifications, and how the documents are near replicas of one another; Arizona submitted two separate faked documents. It is amazing actual elected officials would sign/certify a document and submit to the Fed. Surely, every person that signed will be prosecuted and removed from office.

Drifter

American
Mitch McConnell Told To 'Save The Damn Crocodile Tears' After Whining About Voting

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Maddow ran a segment on five states submitting fraudulent state voting certifications, and how the documents are near replicas of one another; Arizona submitted two separate faked documents. It is amazing actual elected officials would sign/certify a document and submit to the Fed. Surely, every person that signed will be prosecuted and removed from office.
Doubt it, though that would be the smart thing to do.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

"Controlled opposition". Considering the democrats are funded by big business, and many of the same people and pacs who contribute to the Republicans also contribute to the Democrats, it's not really much of a stretch.

The story of thing you'd expect from an Oligarchy. Of course not everyone is in on it, but you get high enough and you find out its follow orders or get out on things that matter, like with Tulsi Gabbard.