US Politics

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Kavanaugh and Barrett don't appear to be working as planned, there must be some serious head-scratching going on at the Federalist Society these days

You got to wonder what Trump was thinking, he expects them to be loyal to him and his "agenda", but it appears that Mitch just played him every step of the way.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
You got to wonder what Trump was thinking, he expects them to be loyal to him and his "agenda", but it appears that Mitch just played him every step of the way.
Not sure Mitch had much to do with it in terms of selecting the candidates, he certainly got them thru the process though

Given all the grief Kavanaugh got in his confirmation process I'm a little surprised he's been less right-wing entrenched than I think most of us thought he would be

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Not sure Mitch had much to do with it in terms of selecting the candidates, he certainly got them thru the process though

Given all the grief Kavanaugh got in his confirmation process I'm a little surprised he's been less right-wing entrenched than I think most of us thought he would be
Didn't he essentially handpick them for Trump, or did i miss something here?

nimic

something nice
Scout

:lol:

She's fecking batshit. Not that that is new news. But it is so nice to see them all start turning on each other..BoBo and MtG are at it again too.

You just love to see it!
After her 2018 ban from Twitter, she handcuffed herself to Twitter's headquarters in New York for two hours before police cut through the handcuffs at her request.[5][17][18]

:lol:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Good that the SCOTUS isn't insane enough to go along with ISL, but the biggest threat to US democracy is the senate anyway.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I was really hoping Clarence Thomas would have the opinion in this case since the outcome was inevitable. The irony of a man who’s only ever gotten jobs because he’s a token Black conservative would’ve been incredible. The new season of Slow Burn about Thomas goes through basically every job he’s had and points out that the people hiring were doing so to diversify.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They'll find out what exactly?

Is there anything to stop universities from changing to systems based on parental wealth/income that would achieve the same goal in a much fairer way?
1. You can't get much "fairer" than the system that was struck down, and not seeing it as "fair" ignores the history of race in America (as the dissent from Justice Jackson posted by @calodo2003 highlights)

2. There is a case in the 4th district seeking to prevent universities from addressing inequalities through race neutral means. If you think the plaintiffs of that case or this case are genuine seekers of a more fair system I have a bridge in Death Valley to sell you

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They'll find out what exactly?

1. You can't get much "fairer" than the system that was struck down, and not seeing it as "fair" ignores the history of race in America (as the dissent from Justice Jackson posted by @calodo2003 highlights)

2. There is a case in the 4th district seeking to prevent universities from addressing inequalities through race neutral means. If you think the plaintiffs of that case or this case are genuine seekers of a more fair system I have a bridge in Death Valley to sell you
That such a ruling will further ensure that the youth vote will continue to gravitate from any conservative candidate / issue.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Oh, I'm under no illusion at all that the biggest cheerleaders for the change would be rich, white, conservative dickheads who want to have more than their already drastically oversized piece of the pie and didn't imply otherwise.

I just think that racial discrimination ('positive' or otherwise) feels like a very poor solution to the issue, and that the institutions that implemented the current system could still bring in something else that would increase opportunities for disadvantaged students on terms that would be less easy to attack legally (parental wealth, affluence of area, performance of schools attended etc).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That such a ruling will further ensure that the youth vote will continue to gravitate from any conservative candidate / issue.
I don't think this will make a big difference in voting to be honest. There was an analysis on CNN a few minutes ago that the ruling will only shift the emphasis from race to socio-economic backgrounds, which means minorities will still receive more consideration because they are disproportionately poorer than whites. Apparently, a vast majority of black students at Harvard were from wealthy families, and by prioritizing income over race, it would give a lot of poorer students across all races an advantage.