US Politics

RedDevilQuebecois

"PrEsIdEeNt BiDeN hAs WeApOnIzEd ThE DOJ tO gO aFtEr RePuBliCaNs."

On a serious note, how long do you think it will take before she gets canned by the DNC? The last thing they need is another liability, especially when they already have to deal with Bob Menendez.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
"PrEsIdEeNt BiDeN hAs WeApOnIzEd ThE DOJ tO gO aFtEr RePuBliCaNs."

On a serious note, how long do you think it will take before she gets canned by the DNC? The last thing they need is another liability, especially when they already have to deal with Bob Menendez.
Well, based on the fact that Bob Menendez is not only still in the Senate but is also still sitting in on classified briefings I would say never.

RedDevilQuebecois

Well, based on the fact that Bob Menendez is not only still in the Senate but is also still sitting in on classified briefings I would say never.
I don't think I will ever say it enough times: if an elected official is under investigation or even indicted by the DOJ, she/he should be formally suspended pending the end of the proceedings.

If we can bin multimillionnaire footballers for the duration of a criminal investigation (for rape, DUI, domestic violence, etc.), I see no reason why elected officials cannot taste the same ways.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don't think I will ever say it enough times: if an elected official is under investigation or even indicted by the DOJ, she/he should be formally suspended pending the end of the proceedings.

If we can bin multimillionnaire footballers for the duration of a criminal investigation (for rape, DUI, domestic violence, etc.), I see no reason why elected officials cannot taste the same ways.
It would just end up as a tit-for-tat in today's world, as it is congress is so finally balanced that neither side can afford to lose the votes of these people

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Just a couple this morning:

Man posts his dad's severed head onto YouTube while ranting about woke mobs and Trump.

Ex Republican candidate, with drug mule criminal record, posts open racism:

Giggsyking

So what's the difference between the republicans and the democrats for the Muslim community in the US?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

So what's the difference between the republicans and the democrats for the Muslim community in the US?
This should probably go in the 2024 elections thread, a little more germane to that thread.

As for your question, it's an embarrassing look for the campaign.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Frankly, a trump appointee covering up possible interference? I see the Putin hand behind all this :mad:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
This is the level we're talking about, but "Democrats and Republicans are all the same" apparently :rolleyes:
Nah, republicans don't care about any children, democrats don't care about some children. Not the same, but neither are good guys.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Nearly all American mainstream politicians support Israel, so this wouldn't be a surprise.
He's taking it much further than most American mainstream politicians, though. He's also been very vocally pushing away the progressives he courted, so the con artist description is fair.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's taking it much further than most American mainstream politicians, though. He's also been very vocally pushing away the progressives he courted, so the con artist description is fair.
I don't think Progressives were delusional enough to believe Biden would make wholesale changes in America's Israel policy on their behalf. If they did, it was a miscalculation on their part. Many may have simply voted for him because another four years of Trump was seen as the worse of the two options from the binoculars of their far left perches.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I don't think Progressives were delusional enough to believe Biden would make wholesale changes in America's Israel policy on their behalf. If they did, it was a miscalculation on their part. Many may have simply voted for him because another four years of Trump was seen as the worse of the two options from the binoculars of their far left perches.
Biden sure, but I'm talking about Fetterman. He's gone from calling himself a progressive to saying "I never called myself a progressive", and now this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Biden sure, but I'm talking about Fetterman. He's gone from calling himself a progressive to saying "I never called myself a progressive", and now this.
I don't think anyone viewed him as such. He's always been viewed as a blue collar mainstream Dem.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've looked into his more recent past and he has said he's a regular Dem, not a progressive.

Also worth noting, the term progressive has itself been somewhat hijacked by the activist left since the above tweet came out. Its now come to mean a tidy suite of policies exemplified by the likes of AOC and the squad. This was less so the case for most of the 2010s when ordinary Dems would call themselves progressives, but still adhere to what is today mainstream, corporate Dem orthodoxy. Hilary Clinton for example, insisted she was a progressive when running against Bernie Sanders in 2016. Fetterman would seem to be in the same category given that no one has every mistaken him for an AOC type in the present.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I've looked into his more recent past and he has said he's a regular Dem, not a progressive.

Also worth noting, the term progressive has itself been somewhat hijacked by the activist left since the above tweet came out. Its now come to mean a tidy suite of policies exemplified by the likes of AOC and the squad. This was less so the case for most of the 2010s when ordinary Dems would call themselves progressives, but still adhere to what is today mainstream Dem orthodoxy. Hilary Clinton for example, insisted she was a progressive when running against Bernie Sanders in 2016. Fetterman would seem to be in the same category given that no one has every mistaken him for an AOC type in the present.
Yeah but you said "I don't think anyone viewed him as such" when it's obvious many of his supporters did. And they weren't tricked by the media, they listened to the man himself. Consequently they feel tricked.

Mike Smalling

John Fetterman quite clearly made the transition from labeling himself a progressive to being a standard corporate Democrat, with the added touch of unbridled Zionism. He also took $244,000 from AIPAC, which adds to the story. The leftist commentators I follow all view him basically as a fraud now, while he was mostly celebrated before.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Also worth noting, the term progressive has itself been somewhat hijacked by the activist left since the above tweet came out. Its now come to mean a tidy suite of policies exemplified by the likes of AOC and the squad. This was less so the case for most of the 2010s when ordinary Dems would call themselves progressives, but still adhere to what is today mainstream, corporate Dem orthodoxy. Hilary Clinton for example, insisted she was a progressive when running against Bernie Sanders in 2016. Fetterman would seem to be in the same category given that no one has every mistaken him for an AOC type in the present.
You should perhaps have done some more research then, because there are many more examples than just one tweet from 2016. Even if your point is true about what a progressive was in 2016, what about when he called himself a progressive in 2018? Or what about 2020? For that matter he endorsed Bernie Sanders against Clinton in 2016, so I'm not sure "well Clinton called herself a progressive in 2016" means that much in comparison.

I'm not trying to make the point that Fetterman was ever a true progressive, whatever that is. For people who looked a little bit closer it's clear he was never really the potential progressive hero some people thought he might be. But it's indisputable that he has described himself as a progressive and looked for the aid of the progressive movement when he needed it to get elected.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
You should perhaps have done some more research then, because there are many more examples than just one tweet from 2016. Even if your point is true about what a progressive was in 2016, what about when he called himself a progressive in 2018? Or what about 2020? For that matter he endorsed Bernie Sanders against Clinton in 2016, so I'm not sure "well Clinton called herself a progressive in 2016" means that much in comparison.

I'm not trying to make the point that Fetterman was ever a true progressive, whatever that is. For people who looked a little bit closer it's clear he was never really the potential progressive hero some people thought he might be. But it's indisputable that he has described himself as a progressive and looked for the aid of the progressive movement when he needed it to get elected.
I never followed the guy close but for me always looked like the average Joe taking a chance to the gravy train and pulling it off