g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

US Politics

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
It’s so bizarre seeing the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave’ cannibalise itself over students protesting. How is this any different to an authoritarian government’s handling of protests? The amount of shite decrepit Biden has said about Putin and he’s no better (re protesting).

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It’s so bizarre seeing the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave’ cannibalise itself over students protesting. How is this any different to an authoritarian government’s handling of protests? The amount of shite decrepit Biden has said about Putin and he’s no better (re protesting).
Is it really that different from the Vietnam war or civil rights protests?

They've been here before and historically, the protestors seem to win.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Is it really that different from the Vietnam war or civil rights protests?

They've been here before and historically, the protestors seem to win.
Protestors always seem to lose in the short term by way of getting arrested, fined, or beaten up, and more recently losing their jobs and the like. Some such as those you listed may be eventually vindicated, but there are also recent examples of protests that haven't really amounted to much in terms of tangible change - thinking of everything ranging from occupy wall street to the string of protests from Trayvon Martin through George Floyd.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Protestors always seem to lose in the short term by way of getting arrested, fined, or beaten up, and more recently losing their jobs and the like. Some such as those you listed may be eventually vindicated, but there are also recent examples of protests that haven't really amounted to much in terms of tangible change - thinking of everything ranging from occupy wall street to the string of protests from Trayvon Martin through George Floyd.
They do lose in the short term for sure.

I'd be inclined to argue that the George Floyd protests resulted in positive change, though.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Literally the 4 first links when I google "biden protests iran".

Idxomer

Literally the 4 first links when I google "biden protests iran".

He and his militarized police have used very similar rhetoric and tactics that those oppressive regimes regularly use.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He and his militarized police have used very similar rhetoric and tactics that those oppressive regimes regularly use.
Who exactly are the President's militarised police?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Who exactly are the President's militarised police?
There are none. These are local cops coming in by request of the University administration who want the tent cities removed from their campus. The students can still protest off campus and elsewhere.

Beachryan

Did I miss federal police officers doing stuff at protests? Seen loads of state and local police but I am not aware of federal militarized police being used.
It's not about reality, it's about narrative. What these people want to see. Which bizarrely is equivalence between literally not deploying federal forces and saying peaceful protests are good, and leaders who regularly execute dissidents.

Beachryan

There are none. These are local cops coming in by request of the University administration who want the tent cities removed from their campus. The students can still protest off campus and elsewhere.
Yes, quite. But Genocide Joe is cracking skulls!!!

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Palestinians are prone to violence and they hate our children more than they love their children. feckin hell...
even though he has his youtube videos and "UN watch" ready to go, he didn't recognise a very famous quote from golda meir! thought that was funny...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Relentless right-wing wins with the democrat president and senate cheering it on

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This offsets Marge Green teaming up with the squad to opposition to the anti-semitism bill.
Since they were voted down, I'll say this while it's still legal:
Israel is a racist endeavour :)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Since they were voted down, I'll say this while it's still legal:
Israel is a racist endeavour :)
I think Marge genuinely opposed it because it would prevent extreme right wingers from saying anti-semitic things. Protecting her base and all. :wenger:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think Marge genuinely opposed it because it would prevent extreme right wingers from saying anti-semitic things. Protecting her base and all.
Ya she explicitly said it is because she wants to blame Jews for killing Christ.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
To add, it was more than the Squad this time, about 70 Dems and 40 GOP. Nowhere near enough for a blatant restriction on the 1st amendment. We'll have the wonderful irony of American college professors being allowed to say - and publish in popular newspapers! - that the US is foundationally racist, but saying the same about Israel will get them fired.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
She's probably more concerned her Jewish space lasers comment would come into question.
Her speech - like all speech - is still 1st amendment protected.

This bill targets universities - professors calling Israel an apartheid state, a university having a SJP/JVP chapter, student protestors etc. - since they receive DoE federal funding, that will be stopped under the terms of this bill. Universities will fire those professors, ban those chapters, expel those students, etc so that they are safe for Jewish students.
With the existing ideological tilt of the mainstream media and politicians, and social media companies outside Twitter (and with TikTok set to go) collaborating in "safety"-based censorship, it will effectively drive any fundamental criticism of Israel (beyond "Netanyahu isn't making good decisions") out of all discourse.

I'll be interested in the Right's long-term response to codifying the Israel exception into federal law in the name of anti-semitism, while "US is racist" is still permitted in mainstream circles. It could get ugly in a couple of different ways.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
FBI could be construed that way I guess

Raoul

Admin
Staff
FBI could be construed that way I guess
Unless there's mass violence related to things happening on federal property, its the local cops like NYPD/LAPD etc. that get called by the schools to remove tent encampments on school property.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Her speech - like all speech - is still 1st amendment protected.

This bill targets universities - professors calling Israel an apartheid state, a university having a SJP/JVP chapter, student protestors etc. - since they receive DoE federal funding, that will be stopped under the terms of this bill. Universities will fire those professors, ban those chapters, expel those students, etc so that they are safe for Jewish students.
With the existing ideological tilt of the mainstream media and politicians, and social media companies outside Twitter (and with TikTok set to go) collaborating in "safety"-based censorship, it will effectively drive any fundamental criticism of Israel (beyond "Netanyahu isn't making good decisions") out of all discourse.

I'll be interested in the Right's long-term response to codifying the Israel exception into federal law in the name of anti-semitism, while "US is racist" is still permitted in mainstream circles. It could get ugly in a couple of different ways.
That's not strictly true, most speech is protected but not absolutely everything

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Unless there's mass violence related to things happening on federal property, its the local cops like NYPD/LAPD etc. that get called by the schools to remove tent encampments on school property.
I may be mistaken, but LEO can call for assistance from the FBI can they not?

RedDevilQuebecois

Tom Cotton, Republican senator.
Outside of stupid stuff he has said and done, I mostly remember him from when he made his first run as a Senator of Arkansas. I was attending business in Memphis, which is still a distance from the border between Tennessee and Arkansas, and yet his campaign ads on the radio reached all the way to Memphis.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Tom Cotton, Republican senator.
Well the senate is the legislative branch of the government, so practically yes, he is part of the government.
Thanks. Yes, that what I thought he was. A GOP member of one of the government branches.

is so dystopian that someone with certain degree of government representation can speak in those terms, whichever ideology.