US Politics

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Is that more than a US worker would get paid?
Don't take this as truth, but I suspect USCIS probably does an unfavorable comparison of US worker's wages. For example, top talent in NYC may attract 130,000 to 150,000 for a Project manager role with say x amount of experience. So anywhere 50 miles around NYC, if the wages aren't at that scale for someone with H1B, they tend to reject it. It is always possible to get similar roles for lesser salary as well, but they take the top end wage bracket.

i think he is saying our military is so wasteful it makes the decadence of rome look frugal like lutherans. i could be wrong though
That's what I guessed, but never knew Lutherans were known to be frugal. I'm a Lutheran myself, so it has some truth to it.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
It's sickening hearing Republicans bang on about Syrians human rights when defending their attack on Assad's troops this week when ICE are clearly breaching countless human rights violations.

Channel 4 have a documentary coming up about ICE and the trailer is brutal. It's being done by the same people who did the recent 4 part "Trump Years" that was excellent.

langster

Scout

:lol: But the tax cuts were amazing. Until you realise you will be paying for it sooner or later. Twitter is awash with this today and news of Trump wanting to borrow more for his budget. He's literally doing the exact opposite of what he said and adding trillions to the deficit whilst fleecing millions (maybe billions) for himself at the same time.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Don't take this as truth, but I suspect USCIS probably does an unfavorable comparison of US worker's wages. For example, top talent in NYC may attract 130,000 to 150,000 for a Project manager role with say x amount of experience. So anywhere 50 miles around NYC, if the wages aren't at that scale for someone with H1B, they tend to reject it. It is always possible to get similar roles for lesser salary as well, but they take the top end wage bracket.
Well in all fairness that was one of the requirements of Visa's. Companies need to prove they can't hire a local candidate and they have to prove they are paying a visa applicant a comparable salary. I know that is not happening anymore because I work with a heck of a lot of H1B folks. Most work for companies like Infosys and they are paid nowhere near the local rate. Point in case my close co-worker is an Indian girl doing more or less the same role on another team yet my hourly rate is double.

It just seems ICE and UHCIS are being told to enforce the laws with a little more zealous.

fishfingers15

Well in all fairness that was one of the requirements of Visa's. Companies need to prove they can't hire a local candidate and they have to prove they are paying a visa applicant a comparable salary. I know that is not happening anymore because I work with a heck of a lot of H1B folks. Most work for companies like Infosys and they are paid nowhere near the local rate. Point in case my close co-worker is an Indian girl doing more or less the same role on another team yet my hourly rate is double.

It just seems ICE and UHCIS are being told to enforce the laws with a little more zealous.
But why approve the same 6 months back? Why approve other requests that are being filed now? I've had three cases go through this week and one denied. Well in the end, it's the USCIS' job for processing visa extensions, but now the affected person has to move to another country, wait for his visa to process and come back. I can almost guarantee that when they reapply the visa from India, it will go through.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
But why approve the same 6 months back? Why approve other requests that are being filed now? I've had three cases go through this week and one denied. Well in the end, it's the USCIS' job for processing visa extensions, but now the affected person has to move to another country, wait for his visa to process and come back. I can almost guarantee that when they reapply the visa from India, it will go through.

My guess is there as been a directive from the head of Homeland to enforce the existing laws with absolute zealous. Its not hard to find a few outlier jobs advertised with great salaries/rates. In the Tampa Market the going rate might be $50ph but you see jobs listed at $65-70.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Had they at least forced Ryan to make a public promise of some kind like McConnell, they'd have improved their position a bit. The other point, of course, is that it wasn't a very strong hand to begin with.

Dems should dare Trump to round up and deport a million people.

Now the issue is that Republicans are going to pick a new cause to to take DACA hostage with. Likely curbing legal immigration, which I think they'll be happy to trade keeping around a million people in exchange for.

MAGA

fishfingers15

Had they at least forced Ryan to make a public promise of some kind like McConnell, they'd have improved their position a bit. The other point, of course, is that it wasn't a very strong hand to begin with.

Dems should dare Trump to round up and deport a million people.

Now the issue is that Republicans are going to pick a new cause to to take DACA hostage with. Likely curbing legal immigration, which I think they'll be happy to trade keeping around a million people in exchange for.

MAGA
Dems should call Trump on his bluff and ask him to deport DACA people. While there would be a blowback from the activists supporting immigration, who are they going to vote for otherwise? GOP or a Third party candidate? Their only hope is the Democratic party. At the end of the day, an immigrant friendly policy is fine, but it doesn't earn Democrats a lot of votes. They aren't eligible to vote and half the immigrants would happily close the door of immigration once they've attained legal status.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Dems should call Trump on his bluff and ask him to deport DACA people. While there would be a blowback from the activists supporting immigration, who are they going to vote for otherwise? GOP or a Third party candidate? Their only hope is the Democratic party. At the end of the day, an immigrant friendly policy is fine, but it doesn't earn Democrats a lot of votes. They aren't eligible to vote and half the immigrants would happily close the door of immigration once they've attained legal status.
You've already seen the results of that strategy.

fishfingers15

You've already seen the results of that strategy.
It was a snarky post as I'm still very much seething at the plight of my teammate running around to sell his newly bought CRV in a day, but in all seriousness, maybe a seismic act like one million people getting deported is what it takes for people to wake up to Trump instead of over-analyzing and frothing at his tweets and RUSSIA............

langster

Scout
We can hope. I don't think it's likely though. I think we have to fight for the best policies we can all the time and hold those who claim to be our allies accountable.
His disgusting Tweet earlier shows exactly what the cnut is all about. Saying that he signed a bill but had to agree to things he and the Republicans didn't want to pay for, but he got his military funding so that's ok.

He should be easy to topple. The Dems have never had a better chance. As much as we bitch he's playing in to the lefts hands. They just need to capitalise on it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not to mention that for all the talk of a wall with Mexico, plenty have comes from other Central American/Carribean nations as well by boat/plane etc.
Just got back from a day on border in southern AZ and Mexico. Trump is absolutely insane if he can think he can build a wall there. The topography is mountainous in many places. Never mind the idiocy of building a racist monument to satisfy his base or the cost of losing 20 + billion on something that wouldn't even work in the first place. The topography along the border is so ridiculously irrational that building a wall wouldn't even work from a logistical standpoint.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is someone Drumph briefly entertained support for as leverage against Ryan in 2016.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
:lol: at the concept of democracy

AN ASSOCIATION OF top Republican law enforcement officials has created a secret online bulletin board called the “Briefing Room” that’s allowing big donors to help shape legal policy, according to records reviewed by MapLight and The Intercept.

The Republican Attorneys General Association frequently directs officials working for GOP attorneys general to review files posted on the file-sharing website before participating in conference calls hosted by RAGA’s nonprofit policy arm, the Rule of Law Defense Fund. The association works to get Republicans elected to the top law enforcement job at the state level. The Briefing Room is hosted by RLDF on the virtual cloud website, box.com.
https://theintercept.com/2018/02/12...to-help-set-policy-via-secret-bulletin-board/

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
When Democratic legislators gathered in a hotel in Portland, Maine, for a two-day policy conference last August, they were joined by a host of corporate interests who have good reason to want in on those conversations.

The meeting of the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee, the party arm responsible for supporting state legislative candidates, was closed to the press and billed as an off-the-record event, but HuffPost has exclusively obtained a copy of the agenda, which shows the members of the DLCC’s finance council.

The Portland conference included prominent representation from the pharmaceutical and health insurance industries, including lobbyists from America’s Health Insurance Plans, a national trade group that is currently lobbying against Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders’ Medicare For All bill.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lobbyists-democrats-retreat_us_5a7dfbc1e4b08dfc93040362

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://theintercept.com/2018/02/12/dominion-virginia-legislature-energy/

DOMINION ENERGY, THE utility monopoly in Virginia, suffered a rare loss on the floor of the state House of Delegates late Monday night, when their ability to double-charge ratepayers for infrastructure improvements was stripped out of a controversial bill.

The bill, which sailed through the Senate and is expected to pass the House of Delegates on Tuesday, would let Dominion and other utilities in the state use excess profits to pay for the upgrades, like modernization of the energy grid or renewable generation. Because Dominion could also use those upgrades as a rationale to increase its base power rates, critics charged that utilities could get ratepayers to pay twice for the same infrastructure. Virginia’s State Corporation Commission and the state Office of the Attorney General agreed.

Senate populists tried to put a restriction on the double-dipping in their version of the bill, but lost. But the House of Delegates, with all 49 Democrats joining six Republicans, were successful in passing such an amendment in the 100-member chamber.

The move is a major victory for Virginia’s large freshman class of Democratic legislators, many of whom campaigned against Dominion in their races and refused to take campaign contributions from them. It’s an act of defiance against the state’s most powerful corporate donor, as well as the Democratic governor, Ralph Northam, who endorsed the overall bill. While the legislation still has problems — Delegate Lee Carter called it “a steaming pile of garbageto The Intercept yesterday — Dominion losing a vote of any kind in the Virginia legislature, even an amendment vote, is a political earthquake.
:lol: @ Carter

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut

Raoul

Admin
Staff
More drama. At this point I hope Corker reconsiders as it would be a massive headache for Trump

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
(thread)

What the US needs is more umm bipartisanship from Democrats against an enemy that wants to eliminate them from political existence.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Came here to post that. So far, the SC hasn't interfered in PA redistricting (they did elsewhere, even when the redistricting case in the state court was decided as a state constitution issue)

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
http://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...rsation-about-impeaching-pennsylvania-supreme

Pennsylvania Sen. Pat Toomey (R) called for a "conversation" about impeaching state Supreme Court justices over their new congressional map, which both parties say will benefit Democrats.

At a press conference, Toomey said it was "inevitable" that state lawmakers would consider impeachment over the redrawing of the state's new congressional maps, which he called a "power grab" by state Democrats.

"Look, I think it's inevitable that that conversation's going to take place," Toomey said. "I think state House members and state senators are going to be speaking amongst themselves and their constituents, and the fundamental question is does this blatant, unconstitutional, partisan power grab that undermines our electoral process, does that rise to the level of impeachment?"

The new map released this week redraws congressional boundaries, throwing out a map written by Republicans that gerrymandered lines to benefit their party. Ten of the state's 13 districts are now held by Republicans.
One negative ruling, based on the common sense the votes should be reflected in the election outcome, and they're throwing their toys out of the pram. FDR's New Deal was completely killed in the court for multiple years before he considered court-packing. He should have just gone ahead and done it.