US Politics

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I understand they nominate their own nominee, but, what happens if someone gets the majority of the vote in the house, someone who isn't a nominee of either party?

I mean, select few house members have voted for people who aren't relevant, their votes are still counted, they are not blank votes, right?
You don't need to a be a member of the house to be Speaker, if you or I could get the requisite number of votes we could be speaker

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I assumed that rule was specific to the McCarthy speakership? Does that rule then apply for the entirety of this term? What would it take to change it?
The motion to vacate was already there, I think the change was that 1 person could trigger it, the rules apply to this term of Congress only, I don't know for sure if that can be changed or not

Akshay

Staff
I'm really struggling to understand why the Democrats are just sitting back and watching the trainwreck unfold. Surely if you want to claim to be the responsible ones you reach out to the moderate Republicans and get a more bipartisan Speaker elected? Obviously the Freedom Caucus are responsible for this mess but aren't the Democrats getting an easy ride for showing no willingness to solve the situation and get the country back on track?
Well so far the Republicans haven't shown any real willingness to negotiate with the Democrats on a coalition government. Presumably this would involve a more equitable distribution of committee assignments and a different policy agenda (end of Biden impeachment hearings etc).

I don't think Democrats are interested in helping elect a moderate Republican speaker if he's not willing to give anything in return for their support.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Well so far the Republicans haven't shown any real willingness to negotiate with the Democrats on a coalition government. Presumably this would involve a more equitable distribution of committee assignments and a different policy agenda (end of Biden impeachment hearings etc).

I don't think Democrats are interested in helping elect a moderate Republican speaker if he's not willing to give anything in return for their support.
Doubt they ever will tbh, i think government shutdown is pretty much inevitable.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

Forgive the possibly dumb question, but I'm just trying to catch up with all of this now.

How many votes do you need to be elected speaker then? Jeffries won that vote by a fair margin, but not enough?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Forgive the possibly dumb question, but I'm just trying to catch up with all of this now.

How many votes do you need to be elected speaker then? Jeffries won that vote by a fair margin, but not enough?
You have to win a majority of those present, so normally 218, Jefferies cannot reach that mark without GOP votes and he won't likely get any of those, the winner isn't who get's the most votes in any given round

RUUD_10_LEGEND

You have to win a majority of those present, so normally 218, Jefferies cannot reach that mark without GOP votes and he won't likely get any of those, the winner isn't who get's the most votes in any given round
Thank you, assumed it was something like that. Given the circumstances, it's a shame they can just grant Jeffries the win based on that result!

Jev

But why not, though? If they could get a moderate Republican elected, even without any promises, they'd still be in a better position than if GOP managed to elect one of the hardliners, and Congress wouldn't be stifled anymore. What's the endgame?

Revan

Assumptionman
What a mess the GOP are. They only know how to appoint judges and obstruct Democrats. Legislating is something they have no idea how to do.

Crazy how half of Americans still vote for these morons.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
How cowardly must you be to vote present on a secret ballot?

ManUtd1999

What a mess the GOP are. They only know how to appoint judges and obstruct Democrats. Legislating is something they have no idea how to do.

Watch the GOP come in 2024 to the American people and say: give us power to fix problems.

I hope Democrats now save the day. The Republicans have made mockery of the third highest office in the US constitutional system.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Watch the GOP come in 2024 to the American people and say: give us power to fix problems.

I hope Democrats now save the day. The Republicans have made mockery of the third highest office in the US constitutional system.
For 4 years they made a mockery of the top office in the US system!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports

Cheap gasoline, guns and abortions are the 3 main reasons why

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

GOP isn't there to legislate, they are there to loot the treasury, and take away rights from everyone not a christian, white male.

Akshay

Staff
But why not, though? If they could get a moderate Republican elected, even without any promises, they'd still be in a better position than if GOP managed to elect one of the hardliners, and Congress wouldn't be stifled anymore. What's the endgame?
A hardliner (and possible shutdown) is good for them to rail against in the next election, a moderate not as much. And a moderate who doesn't negotiate for their support is going to continue to try to appease the hard right flank in the meanwhile like McCarthy did.

The Democrats are also in the business of politics and if they're not getting anything in the deal that helps them get re-elected, they'd rather the clown show continues. The politicians most harmed by this continuing are moderate Republicans, but they're powerless to do anything to stop it. Embracing Jordan would kill them with independents, and working with Democrats would face backlash from the base.

Hamnat

Rep. Rich Allen (R-Ga.) said he will not back Emmer for Speaker because of his vote in favor of the Respect for Marriage Act, which was passed by Congress last year and gives federal protections to same-sex marriages.
Good lord they are ridiculous.